OT- Perfect album(s)?

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Hopefully this is more collaborative and fun than contentious.
What is an album(cd, digital, record, whatever) that you can press play and not touch until it ends? Below are 5 of mine that I can just press play on and have been influential on me. They are a healthy mix of genre and time period. Oddly though, nothing from this century. I have a ton of music from this last 20 years, but its all digital format and single songs vs full albums. Tech really did change how music is consumed by many of us.
17 off if you cant deal with the long post. <--getting it started on the right foot!***

Bob Marley and the Wailers- Legend
- Its a greatest hits album and I distinctly remember playing it all the way thru all the time back with CDs were a thing. I was too young to heave heard him when he was alive, so this was a great way to hear his stuff from the early 70s to early 80s and got me into learning a ton of history about his life and views.
14 incredible songs one after another.

Nirvana- MTV Unplugged in New York
- Released when I was 13 and 7 months after Cobain killed himself. I remember seeing the broadcast version of it shortly before Cobain died and it was incredible. They did a few hits, but it was mostly lesser known songs and a couple covers. The version of All Apologies is something I will never forget- Dave Grohl's brushed drums really gets it started and Cobain's singing along with the cello combine to make something where the pain of the song can be felt. After Cobain died, MTV went into overdrive and played the broadcast like hourly(it seemed).
The album is absolutely one that can just play from start to finish. And it ends with a cover of Lead Belly's Where Did you Sleep Last Night that is so powerful in its raw emotion. Cobain's vocals are haunting and sad.

Wyclef Jean- The Carnival featuring Refugee Allstars
- This was Clef's debut solo effort and it is a concept album where Clef is on trial and songs are used to defend him. There are these silly skits between songs were characters are testifying during the trial. It came out when I was 16 and was transformative in its creativity. The CD hits hard on culture with some Spanish influence, some R&B, some rap, and a few song sung in his native Haitian Creole.
Every song and every skit is played straight on thru. I butcher the Haitian Creole songs but I will sing along to them even.

Phish- A Live One
- This was my introduction to Jam Band music when I was a freshman in HS as it had just been released a couple months earlier. 2 CDs with only 12 songs in total because so many were long as can be.
It opens with an incredible version of Bouncing Around the Room and closes with a near 13 minute long version of The Squirming Coil. I know every single piano key stroke in that song's long solo. It is one of the few things that will be locked in my long term memory when I am old and forgetting everything else.

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band- Live 1975-85
- Another live album. Another greatest hits compilation...at least greatest hits of a specific 10 year span. I grew up on The Boss and have known every radio friendly(so not the 8min long versions) song since I was probably 6. This album hits all of those and so much more.
Its 40 songs of non-stop energy and stories.
- The Born to Run recording is legendary. So much energy.
- His interlude stories during Growin Up are something I memorized long ago and have annoyed my wife for almost 25 years by repeating during the songs(that she tolerates).
- The version of This Land is Your Land and his talk at the start introduced me to who Woody Guthrie is and some context to what Guthrie's intent was when writing that song. Bruce pays tribute to the song perfectly.
- This album's versions of I'm On Fire, My Hometown, Jersey Girl, Because the Night, Rosalita, and so many more are what is burned into my mind when I think of the songs.
- The first song of the entire album is an acoustic version of Thunder Road and it is the song I sang basically every night to both my kids for the first 6 years of their lives. Both knew the lyrics in full before they could read. There is no better song that has been recorded.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Off the top of my head:

Pearl Jam - Vitology

Counting Crows - August and Everything after

Metallica - the black album

The Beatles: 1967-1970 (the blue album)

edited to add: I would like to include Metallica S and M on here. It’s their greatest hits done live with the San Francisco orchestra. It is epic

Last edited:

dgsmith15

Nov 10, 2008
I've answered the question a few times before and these are usually in my top 5:

- Weezer - Blue Album
- Bruce Springsteen & The E-Street Band - Live in New York City
- The Band - The Last Waltz

Some honorable mentions:
- Outkast - Aquemini
- Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
- The Strokes - This Is It

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Fleetwood Mac - Rumors
Boston - Boston
Bukka White - Fixin' to Die
Dire Straits - Dire Straits
Kansas - Point of Know Return
Rhiannon Giddens - Tomorrow is my Turn
Young Dubliners - With all Due Respect
Eagles - Hotel California
REM - Document

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
In the bang for your buck category ...for a pure instrumental rock album Joe Satriani's - Surfing with the Alien. No one else could have come close
on a 13,000 dollar budget.

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
Allman Bros. Band - Live at Filmore East
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Beatles - Sgt. Peppers Loney Hearts Club Band
Eric Clapton - 461 Ocean Blvd.
Frank Zappa - Overnight Sensation

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Eminem - The Eminem Show
Guns n Roses - Appetite for Destruction
Hank Williams, Jr. - Vol. 5 Habits Old and New
Various - FM Soundtrack
Johnny Cash - American IV: The Man Comes Around
Joan Jett - Bad Reputation

I can also put in pretty much any Frank Sinatra album and play start to finish without a problem.

FloodDawg

Aug 8, 2021
  • Willie Nelson Red Headed Stranger
  • Waylon Jennings Honky Tonk Heroes
  • John Hiatt Perfectly Good Guitar
  • Robert Earl Keen No. 2 Live Dinner
  • Tom Petty Full Moon Fever

honorary mention: Jerry Jeff Walker Great Gonzos (since it’s a compilation)

Dawgpile

May 23, 2006
Hopefully this is more collaborative and fun than contentious.
What is an album(cd, digital, record, whatever) that you can press play and not touch until it ends?
Lots of good one's so far. I tried to think of a few of mine that might not be duplicates...

Tom Petty - Full Moon Fever
The Police - Outlandos d'Amour
Metallica - Black Album
Green Day - Dookie
The Cure - Disintegration
AC/DC - Back In Black
Peter Gabriel - So

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Only one other vote for Appetite? WTF?

Tool - Aenima and Lateralus
GnR - Appetite
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
PJ - Ten
Clutch - The Elephant Riders
RATM - Evil Empire
7 Mary 3 - American Standard

May 27, 2022
Foo Fighters - The Colour and the Shape
Steely Dan - Gaucho
Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
Nirvana - Nevermind
Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon
Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf
Allman Brothers Band - At Fillmore East
Radiohead - OK Computer

Reactions: Lettuce

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
You
Lots of good one's so far. I tried to think of a few of mine that might not be duplicates...

Tom Petty - Full Moon Fever
The Police - Outlandos d'Amour
Metallica - Black Album
Green Day - Dookie
The Cure - Disintegration
AC/DC - Back In Black
Peter Gabriel - So
will forever have my respect for listing Peter Gabriel’s So. One of the best albums I ever had

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I would start with absolute classics that have already been mentioned and are too easy:

Beatles - Rubber Soul, Revolver, White Album and Let It Be
Boston - Boston
Van Halen - Van Halen
Weezer's first album
GnR - Appetite
Nirvana - Nevermind
Green Day - Dookie
Michael Jackson - Thriller (however, 9 year old me demands that "Off the Wall" be included too)

Some I didn't see listed but that are unbelievable debut albums:
Panic! At the Disco - A Fever You Can't Sweat Out
The Killers - Hot Fuss
Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend (you have to like their specific music, but if you do, this whole thing is great)

If we're counting compilations, which is sort of cheating:
Elton John - Greatest Hits (first 2 volumes are incredibly loaded)
Eagles - Greatest Hits
Bad Company - 10 from 6
REM - Dead Letter Office
Steve Miller Band - Greatest Hits

Good thread, Glfr

Last edited:

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Only one other vote for Appetite? WTF?

Tool - Aenima and Lateralus
GnR - Appetite
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
PJ - Ten
Clutch - The Elephant Riders
RATM - Evil Empire
7 Mary 3 - American Standard
I was late, but without a doubt. Should be on any short list for Greatest Debut Album ever.

Jul 5, 2020
Lotta good ones on here.

I'm getting too old, and the streaming services have jacked up my album brain, but I still will go with-

Radiohead- The Bends

I 17'ing love every track, and it's a great example of how to master an album. The rises and falls are great. It's their best lyrical album to me also.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Forgot about Rumors. So good.

also The Cars - The Cars
We're from the same generation.
L4's list along with your ads plus

Bruce Springsteen - Darkness on the Edge of Town & Born in the USA
Nevermind - Nirvana
Appetite for Distruction - Guns n Roses
Stranger in Town & Night Moves - Bob Seger
Escape - Journey
Van Halen - Van Halen

Red headed Stranger - Willie Nelson
Live From Folsom Prison - Johnny Cash
I'm not as pretentious has most music lovers and i'm on my phone so I will add more later when I'm on my computer if I can

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login