Bruce Springsteen - Darkness on the Edge of Town & Born in the USA
Nevermind - Nirvana
Appetite for Distruction - Guns n Roses
Stranger in Town & Night Moves - Bob Seger
Escape - Journey
Van Halen - Van Halen

Red headed Stranger - Willie Nelson
Live From Folsom Prison - Johnny Cash
I'm not as pretentious has most music lovers and i'm on my phone so I will add more later when I'm on my computer if I can
Well not actually. I’m 41. I just have an appreciation for music across rock generations.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Third Eye Blind - I liked all of the popular stuff, but I considered the last few tracks of their first album to be absolute perfection at one point in my life

Tesla, five man acoustical jam - my older brother had the tape, I couldn't get enough of this during the time I was 11-13 years old

Skinny Pimp, king of da playaz ball - you guys need some rap in your life, I listened to this one non-stop

Roger Clyne & the Peacemakers - not sure I can pick just one, but I can listen thru their first few albums endlessly

Reactions: Darryl Steight

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
AC/DC - Highway to Hell
Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium
Al Green - Greatest Hits (I know cheating but it's so good)
Audioslave - Audioslave
REM - Automatic for the People
Hank Jr. - Strong Stuff
Morgan Wallen - Dangerous
Prince - Purple Rain
The Cult - Sonic Temple & Electric
Whiskey Meyers - Fire Water

Jan 31, 2012
I would start with absolute classics that have already been mentioned and are too easy:

Beatles - Rubber Soul, Revolver, White Album and Let It Be
Boston - Boston
Van Halen - Van Halen
Weezer's first album
GnR - Appetite
Nirvana - Nevermind
Green Day - Dookie
Michael Jackson - Thriller (however, 9 year old me demands that "Off the Wall" be included too)

Some I didn't see listed but that are unbelievable debut albums:
Panic! At the Disco - A Fever You Can't Sweat Out
The Killers - Hot Fuss
Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend (you have to like their specific music, but if you do, this whole thing is great)

If we're counting compilations, which is sort of cheating:
Elton John - Greatest Hits (first 2 volumes are incredibly loaded)
Eagles - Greatest Hits
Bad Company - 10 from 6
REM - Dead Letter Office
Steve Miller Band - Greatest Hits

Good thread, Glfr
Thriller is the GOAT:

Wanna be Startin Something
The Girl is Mine
Thriller
Beat It
Billie Jean
Human Nature
PYT

That's a strong album right there.

Bobby Ricigliano

Jul 27, 2011
Gentlemen, if I may, a few:

The Rolling Stones (UK)
England's Newest Hit Makers (US)
12 X 5 (US)
The Rolling Stones No. 2 (UK)
The Rolling Stones, Now! (US)
Out of Our Heads (US)
Out of Our Heads (UK)
December's Children (And Everybody's) (US)
Aftermath (UK)
Aftermath (US)
Between the Buttons (UK)
Between the Buttons (US)
Their Satanic Majesties Request
Beggars Banquet
Let It Bleed
Sticky Fingers
Exile on Main St.
Goats Head Soup
It's Only Rock 'n Roll
Black and Blue
Some Girls
Emotional Rescue
Tattoo You
Undercover
Steel Wheels
Voodoo Lounge
Bridges to Babylon
A Bigger Bang
Blue & Lonesome

Not including compilations & live albums, of course.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
So many good ones already mentioned. Excluding compilations, "best ofs", various artists etc., off top of my head, in no particular order:

1, Pretty much any Beatles album
2. The Cars "The Cars"
3. B-52's - "Cosmic Thing" with "Good Stuff" a close 2nd
4. Pat Benatar - "Crimes of Passion"
5. Heart - "Little Queen" though it easily could be "Dreamboat Annie", Dog & Butterfly" or "Magazine" (1978 release)
6. Tchaikowsky - "Nutcracker Suite"
7. Boston - "Boston"
8. AC/DC - "Back In Black"
9. Bonnie Raitt - "Nick of Time"
10. John Lee Hooker - "Mr. Lucky"
11. Pink Floyd - "Wish You Were Here"
12. Pink Floyd - "Dark Side of The Moon"
13. John Cafferty & The Beaver Brown Band - "Eddie & The Cruisers Soundtrack"
14. CCR - "Cosmo's Factory"
15. Dan Hicks & The Acoustic Warriors - "Shootin' Straight"

Could go on & on! Compilations/best of's, would change my list a great deal.

ETA - Perhaps the best compilation album I've ever heard is by various artists - "Deadicated: A Tribute To The Grateful Dead". Another is "Red Hot + Blue: A Tribute To Cole Porter".

Last edited:

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
Hopefully this is more collaborative and fun than contentious.
What is an album(cd, digital, record, whatever) that you can press play and not touch until it ends? Below are 5 of mine that I can just press play on and have been influential on me. They are a healthy mix of genre and time period. Oddly though, nothing from this century. I have a ton of music from this last 20 years, but its all digital format and single songs vs full albums. Tech really did change how music is consumed by many of us.
17 off if you cant deal with the long post. <--getting it started on the right foot!***

Bob Marley and the Wailers- Legend
- Its a greatest hits album and I distinctly remember playing it all the way thru all the time back with CDs were a thing. I was too young to heave heard him when he was alive, so this was a great way to hear his stuff from the early 70s to early 80s and got me into learning a ton of history about his life and views.
14 incredible songs one after another.

Nirvana- MTV Unplugged in New York
- Released when I was 13 and 7 months after Cobain killed himself. I remember seeing the broadcast version of it shortly before Cobain died and it was incredible. They did a few hits, but it was mostly lesser known songs and a couple covers. The version of All Apologies is something I will never forget- Dave Grohl's brushed drums really gets it started and Cobain's singing along with the cello combine to make something where the pain of the song can be felt. After Cobain died, MTV went into overdrive and played the broadcast like hourly(it seemed).
The album is absolutely one that can just play from start to finish. And it ends with a cover of Lead Belly's Where Did you Sleep Last Night that is so powerful in its raw emotion. Cobain's vocals are haunting and sad.

Wyclef Jean- The Carnival featuring Refugee Allstars
- This was Clef's debut solo effort and it is a concept album where Clef is on trial and songs are used to defend him. There are these silly skits between songs were characters are testifying during the trial. It came out when I was 16 and was transformative in its creativity. The CD hits hard on culture with some Spanish influence, some R&B, some rap, and a few song sung in his native Haitian Creole.
Every song and every skit is played straight on thru. I butcher the Haitian Creole songs but I will sing along to them even.

Phish- A Live One
- This was my introduction to Jam Band music when I was a freshman in HS as it had just been released a couple months earlier. 2 CDs with only 12 songs in total because so many were long as can be.
It opens with an incredible version of Bouncing Around the Room and closes with a near 13 minute long version of The Squirming Coil. I know every single piano key stroke in that song's long solo. It is one of the few things that will be locked in my long term memory when I am old and forgetting everything else.

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band- Live 1975-85
- Another live album. Another greatest hits compilation...at least greatest hits of a specific 10 year span. I grew up on The Boss and have known every radio friendly(so not the 8min long versions) song since I was probably 6. This album hits all of those and so much more.
Its 40 songs of non-stop energy and stories.
- The Born to Run recording is legendary. So much energy.
- His interlude stories during Growin Up are something I memorized long ago and have annoyed my wife for almost 25 years by repeating during the songs(that she tolerates).
- The version of This Land is Your Land and his talk at the start introduced me to who Woody Guthrie is and some context to what Guthrie's intent was when writing that song. Bruce pays tribute to the song perfectly.
- This album's versions of I'm On Fire, My Hometown, Jersey Girl, Because the Night, Rosalita, and so many more are what is burned into my mind when I think of the songs.
- The first song of the entire album is an acoustic version of Thunder Road and it is the song I sang basically every night to both my kids for the first 6 years of their lives. Both knew the lyrics in full before they could read. There is no better song that has been recorded.
I don't even like them, but Steely Dan - Aja is about as perfect an album as was ever made

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
AC/DC - Highway to Hell
Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium
Al Green - Greatest Hits (I know cheating but it's so good)
Audioslave - Audioslave
REM - Automatic for the People
Hank Jr. - Strong Stuff
Morgan Wallen - Dangerous
Prince - Purple Rain
The Cult - Sonic Temple & Electric
Whiskey Meyers - Fire Water
FINALLY !!! someone put the Cult - Electric on here... my all time favorite album.. my 2nd all time favorite group

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
There are a lot. Top of the list is Garth Brooks, Fresh Horses.
Chris Stapleton’s Traveller is another I haven’t seen mentioned.

Reactions: Lettuce

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
My faves already mentioned

Floyd - Wish You Were Here and Dark Side of the Moon
Dire Straits - Dire Straits
Led Zeppelin - IV
Beatles - Let It Be

Not Mentioned

McCartney - Ram
SRV - Texas Flood
Meatloaf - Bat out of Hell
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Steely Dan - Aja
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Pronounced

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
With a lotta help from my friends here, staying away from live and greatest hits, focusing on can play straight thru and enjoy every song, limiting to 5...

Eagles - Hotel California
The Cars - The Cars
REM - Murmur
U2 - Joshua Tree
Counting Crows - August and Everything After

Honorable Mention...

Big Head Todd and the Monsters - Midnight Radio

...yes, I'm from a very particular era

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Gentlemen, if I may, a few:

The Rolling Stones (UK)
England's Newest Hit Makers (US)
12 X 5 (US)
The Rolling Stones No. 2 (UK)
The Rolling Stones, Now! (US)
Out of Our Heads (US)
Out of Our Heads (UK)
December's Children (And Everybody's) (US)
Aftermath (UK)
Aftermath (US)
Between the Buttons (UK)
Between the Buttons (US)
Their Satanic Majesties Request
Beggars Banquet
Let It Bleed
Sticky Fingers
Exile on Main St.
Goats Head Soup
It's Only Rock 'n Roll
Black and Blue
Some Girls
Emotional Rescue
Tattoo You
Undercover
Steel Wheels
Voodoo Lounge
Bridges to Babylon
A Bigger Bang
Blue & Lonesome

Not including compilations & live albums, of course.
What about Hotel California?

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
With a lotta help from my friends here, staying away from live and greatest hits, focusing on can play straight thru and enjoy every song, limiting to 5...

Eagles - Hotel California
The Cars - The Cars
REM - Murmur
U2 - Joshua Tree
Counting Crows - August and Everything After

Honorable Mention...

Big Head Todd and the Monsters - Midnight Radio

...yes, I'm from a very particular era
Love some big head Todd and the monsters

Reactions: She Mate Me

RiverCityDawg

Dec 30, 2009
Third Eye Blind - I liked all of the popular stuff, but I considered the last few tracks of their first album to be absolute perfection at one point in my life
Motorcycle Drive By and God of Wine were go to's when I was in my feels back in HS.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
Hopefully this is more collaborative and fun than contentious.
What is an album(cd, digital, record, whatever) that you can press play and not touch until it ends? Below are 5 of mine that I can just press play on and have been influential on me. They are a healthy mix of genre and time period. Oddly though, nothing from this century. I have a ton of music from this last 20 years, but its all digital format and single songs vs full albums. Tech really did change how music is consumed by many of us.
17 off if you cant deal with the long post. <--getting it started on the right foot!***

Bob Marley and the Wailers- Legend
- Its a greatest hits album and I distinctly remember playing it all the way thru all the time back with CDs were a thing. I was too young to heave heard him when he was alive, so this was a great way to hear his stuff from the early 70s to early 80s and got me into learning a ton of history about his life and views.
14 incredible songs one after another.

Nirvana- MTV Unplugged in New York
- Released when I was 13 and 7 months after Cobain killed himself. I remember seeing the broadcast version of it shortly before Cobain died and it was incredible. They did a few hits, but it was mostly lesser known songs and a couple covers. The version of All Apologies is something I will never forget- Dave Grohl's brushed drums really gets it started and Cobain's singing along with the cello combine to make something where the pain of the song can be felt. After Cobain died, MTV went into overdrive and played the broadcast like hourly(it seemed).
The album is absolutely one that can just play from start to finish. And it ends with a cover of Lead Belly's Where Did you Sleep Last Night that is so powerful in its raw emotion. Cobain's vocals are haunting and sad.

Wyclef Jean- The Carnival featuring Refugee Allstars
- This was Clef's debut solo effort and it is a concept album where Clef is on trial and songs are used to defend him. There are these silly skits between songs were characters are testifying during the trial. It came out when I was 16 and was transformative in its creativity. The CD hits hard on culture with some Spanish influence, some R&B, some rap, and a few song sung in his native Haitian Creole.
Every song and every skit is played straight on thru. I butcher the Haitian Creole songs but I will sing along to them even.

Phish- A Live One
- This was my introduction to Jam Band music when I was a freshman in HS as it had just been released a couple months earlier. 2 CDs with only 12 songs in total because so many were long as can be.
It opens with an incredible version of Bouncing Around the Room and closes with a near 13 minute long version of The Squirming Coil. I know every single piano key stroke in that song's long solo. It is one of the few things that will be locked in my long term memory when I am old and forgetting everything else.

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band- Live 1975-85
- Another live album. Another greatest hits compilation...at least greatest hits of a specific 10 year span. I grew up on The Boss and have known every radio friendly(so not the 8min long versions) song since I was probably 6. This album hits all of those and so much more.
Its 40 songs of non-stop energy and stories.
- The Born to Run recording is legendary. So much energy.
- His interlude stories during Growin Up are something I memorized long ago and have annoyed my wife for almost 25 years by repeating during the songs(that she tolerates).
- The version of This Land is Your Land and his talk at the start introduced me to who Woody Guthrie is and some context to what Guthrie's intent was when writing that song. Bruce pays tribute to the song perfectly.
- This album's versions of I'm On Fire, My Hometown, Jersey Girl, Because the Night, Rosalita, and so many more are what is burned into my mind when I think of the songs.
- The first song of the entire album is an acoustic version of Thunder Road and it is the song I sang basically every night to both my kids for the first 6 years of their lives. Both knew the lyrics in full before they could read. There is no better song that has been recorded.
Boston - Boston (May be the best debut album of all time, just a masterpiece)
Fleetwood Mac - Rumors
Pink Floyd - Dark side of the Moon
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Prince - Purple Rain
Ac/Dc - Back in Black
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Pronounced Leh-nerd Skin-nerd
The Clash - London Calling
The Eagles - The Long Run
The Beatles - The White Album
Led Zeppelin - IV

Last edited:

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Well not actually. I’m 41. I just have an appreciation for music across rock generations.
Hah! You guys have all outdone yourselves with this thread, and thanks for reminding me of Prince Elton John and SRV. There are several that I have played to death on 8 track, cassette, and CD. I can't even I'm again trying to explain to my younger self how I can play any of these from one device.

One more to mention that I listened to over and over with many a beer while gravel road was flying underneath our old Mustang... close as a brother who got the worst news today. Think I'll put this on repeat.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
Tool- Lateralus
Pink Floyd- DSotM
Pearl Jam -Ten
Silverchair-Frogstomp
Live-Throwing Copper
TenYearsAfter-Space in Time
Train-Drops of Jupiter
Creed- My Own Prison
Van Morrison-Astral Weeks
GNR-UI1 UI2

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
Tool- Lateralus
Pink Floyd- DSotM
Pearl Jam -Ten
Silverchair-Frogstomp
Live-Throwing Copper
TenYearsAfter-Space in Time
Train-Drops of Jupiter
Creed- My Own Prison
Van Morrison-Astral Weeks
GNR-UI1 UI2
off the beaten path: Trust me on these

The Barr Brothers-Queen of The Breakers
Left Over Salmon- The Nashville Sessions
Counting Crows-Live on a Wire
Barenakedladies-Rock Spectacle
Filter-Title of Record (incredibly underrated)
Doves-Lost Souls
Ryan Adams and the Cardinals-Cold Roses

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here, Dark Side of the Moon
Rush - 2112, A Farewell to Kings, Exit Stage Left
Led Zeppelin - 2, 4, Physical Graffiti
Styx - The Grand Illusion, Equinox
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Steely Dan - Can't Buy a Thrill

Grove Sh.tter

Sep 30, 2022
Wow. Some sure fires, for sure on here. I'm surprised there's been no mention of

the Doors,
Sublime (soundtrack of my senior year of high school),
Smashing pumpkins (gish/siamese dream),
grateful dead,
talking heads,
outkast,
bowie,
Paul Simon,
beastie boys,
soundgarden,
Jane's addiction,
blind melon,
rush, or
primus.

Reactions: kired and Lettuce

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
Wow. Some sure fires, for sure on here. I'm surprised there's been no mention of

the Doors,
grateful dead,
talking heads,
outkast,
bowie,
Paul Simon,
beastie boys,
soundgarden,
Jane's addiction,
blind melon,
rush, or
primus

the Doors,
grateful dead,
talking heads,
outkast,
bowie,
Paul Simon,
beastie boys,
soundgarden,
Jane's addiction,
blind melon,
rush, or
primus.
The Talking Heads-Stop Making Sense( absolute banger

Blind Melon, absolutely

Bowe would take an entire other thread, similar to The Rolling Stones thread from a couple weeks ago. Holy ****! Forgot to gives props.

Also, glrfg, nice thread, first one ever !1!**

But seriously, nice

kired

Aug 22, 2008

the Doors,
grateful dead,
talking heads,
outkast,
bowie,
Paul Simon,
beastie boys,
soundgarden,
Jane's addiction,
blind melon,