OT- Perfect album(s)?

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Ok, IBMD I'm gonna have to ask you to turn in your mancard, lol....

BTW, anybody having any of the following should be banned without question: Helen Reddy, Anne Murrary, Barry Manilow, Kenny G, Yanni (could possibly be taken off the list just because he's married to Linda Evans), Englebert Humperdink........
Yeah.... well, if it makes you feel any better I don't have any of those"artists" in my collection although I do have a few I never play that the missus wanted.

ETA - Keep Mom happy then everyone's happier

Reactions: theoriginalSALTYdog

catvet

May 11, 2009
Elton John Madman Across the Water

Black Sabbath Heaven and Hell

Hootie and the Blowfish Cracked Rearview

Chris Stapleton Travler

Boston. Boston

U2 War, Joshua Tree, Unforgettable Fire

Kansas Left Overture

Kiss Destroyer

Last edited:

dawgoneyall

Nov 11, 2007
Vern Gosdin- Chiseled in Stone

Amazing Rhythm Aces- Burning the Ballroom Down

Eric Claption- Unplugged

John Prine- John Prine

Steven Fromholz- Just Playin Along

several others........

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Dr. Dre- The Chronic
Snoop Dogg- Doggystyle
Eminem- The Real Slim Shady
Alice In Chains- Dirt
Smashing Pumpkins-Siamese Dream

Reactions: kired

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I see most have stayed away from soundtracks but I keep seeing FM show up and arguably The Last Waltz could be one. So just to add one more,

Guardians of the Galaxy Awesome Mix 1.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
ZZ Top - Tres Hombres
Lynyrd Skynyrd - (Pronounced ‘Lĕh-‘nérd ‘Skin-‘nérd)
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Second Helping
Rush - 2112 & Moving Pictures (tie)
Grand Funk Railroad - Closer To Home
Three Doors Down - Greatest Hits

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Ok, IBMD I'm gonna have to ask you to turn in your mancard, lol....

BTW, anybody having any of the following should be banned without question: Helen Reddy, Anne Murrary, Barry Manilow, Kenny G, Yanni (could possibly be taken off the list just because he's married to Linda Evans), Englebert Humperdink........
What’s wrong with Englebert Humperdink?

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I see most have stayed away from soundtracks but I keep seeing FM show up and arguably The Last Waltz could be one. So just to add one more,

Guardians of the Galaxy Awesome Mix 1.
One of the best things the Guardians franchise has done is introduce my kids to some really great music.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Yeah, I debated putting a Greatest Hits or Soundtrack on the list, but I have that one on Vinyl and it’s just too good.
That's another terrible movie that I love. The music is not only great it's a perfect microcosm of the late 70s. Ronstadt, Boston, Boz Scaggs, Doobie Brothers, Buffet, Queen, etc. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of people who have never seen this movie, but the music makes it worth it

It's also why I originally wanted to become a DJ when a DJ was on the radio. Martin Mull was crazy.

Reactions: DawgInThe256

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Hopefully this is more collaborative and fun than contentious.
What is an album(cd, digital, record, whatever) that you can press play and not touch until it ends? Below are 5 of mine that I can just press play on and have been influential on me. They are a healthy mix of genre and time period. Oddly though, nothing from this century. I have a ton of music from this last 20 years, but its all digital format and single songs vs full albums. Tech really did change how music is consumed by many of us.
17 off if you cant deal with the long post. <--getting it started on the right foot!***

Bob Marley and the Wailers- Legend
- Its a greatest hits album and I distinctly remember playing it all the way thru all the time back with CDs were a thing. I was too young to heave heard him when he was alive, so this was a great way to hear his stuff from the early 70s to early 80s and got me into learning a ton of history about his life and views.
14 incredible songs one after another.

Nirvana- MTV Unplugged in New York
- Released when I was 13 and 7 months after Cobain killed himself. I remember seeing the broadcast version of it shortly before Cobain died and it was incredible. They did a few hits, but it was mostly lesser known songs and a couple covers. The version of All Apologies is something I will never forget- Dave Grohl's brushed drums really gets it started and Cobain's singing along with the cello combine to make something where the pain of the song can be felt. After Cobain died, MTV went into overdrive and played the broadcast like hourly(it seemed).
The album is absolutely one that can just play from start to finish. And it ends with a cover of Lead Belly's Where Did you Sleep Last Night that is so powerful in its raw emotion. Cobain's vocals are haunting and sad.

Wyclef Jean- The Carnival featuring Refugee Allstars
- This was Clef's debut solo effort and it is a concept album where Clef is on trial and songs are used to defend him. There are these silly skits between songs were characters are testifying during the trial. It came out when I was 16 and was transformative in its creativity. The CD hits hard on culture with some Spanish influence, some R&B, some rap, and a few song sung in his native Haitian Creole.
Every song and every skit is played straight on thru. I butcher the Haitian Creole songs but I will sing along to them even.

Phish- A Live One
- This was my introduction to Jam Band music when I was a freshman in HS as it had just been released a couple months earlier. 2 CDs with only 12 songs in total because so many were long as can be.
It opens with an incredible version of Bouncing Around the Room and closes with a near 13 minute long version of The Squirming Coil. I know every single piano key stroke in that song's long solo. It is one of the few things that will be locked in my long term memory when I am old and forgetting everything else.

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band- Live 1975-85
- Another live album. Another greatest hits compilation...at least greatest hits of a specific 10 year span. I grew up on The Boss and have known every radio friendly(so not the 8min long versions) song since I was probably 6. This album hits all of those and so much more.
Its 40 songs of non-stop energy and stories.
- The Born to Run recording is legendary. So much energy.
- His interlude stories during Growin Up are something I memorized long ago and have annoyed my wife for almost 25 years by repeating during the songs(that she tolerates).
- The version of This Land is Your Land and his talk at the start introduced me to who Woody Guthrie is and some context to what Guthrie's intent was when writing that song. Bruce pays tribute to the song perfectly.
- This album's versions of I'm On Fire, My Hometown, Jersey Girl, Because the Night, Rosalita, and so many more are what is burned into my mind when I think of the songs.
- The first song of the entire album is an acoustic version of Thunder Road and it is the song I sang basically every night to both my kids for the first 6 years of their lives. Both knew the lyrics in full before they could read. There is no better song that has been recorded.
The Linkin Park Jay Z collab album is fantastic

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Wow. The Pack has good taste in music. But some of you are clearly showing your age, something I won't reveal with my pics
#1 Burl Ives, Songs of the West

Wait, got that all wrong.

Saw Bukka White listed. Toss in some Son House, Mississippi Fred McDowell, Skip James and other greats from Magnolia State. Monumental figures in my music library

BB King, Live at the Regal
Skynyrd's Second Helping and Street Survivors
Beatle's Revolver and Sgt. Pepper
Led Zeppelin II and IV and Physical Graffiti
Stones, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile on Mainstreet
The Who, Who's Next
Allison Krauss, Now that I've Found You
Isbell, Southeastern
Tyler Childers, Live at Red Barn and Purgatory
Lyle, Joshua, Judges, Ruth and Pontiac
Allman Bros, Live
Beach Boys, Pet Sounds
Boston
U2, Unforgettable Fire
Hendrix, Band of Gypsies
Bonnie Raitt, Nick of Time and Luck of the Draw
Ray Charles, Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music

That's enough to keep you enjoying life
Good Post. Ever heard of Mississippi John Hurt born in Teoc, MS? His style of picking was revolutionary. Ever heard the expression "Good Night Irene"?

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
That's another terrible movie that I love. The music is not only great it's a perfect microcosm of the late 70s. Ronstadt, Boston, Boz Scaggs, Doobie Brothers, Buffet, Queen, etc. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of people who have never seen this movie, but the music makes it worth it

It's also why I originally wanted to become a DJ when a DJ was on the radio. Martin Mull was crazy.
Full disclosure: I’ve never seen FM.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I may get lynched but Achtung Baby is another U2-must-have.
I loved U2's early stuff. I'm talking Boy/October/War... War may be my favorite new wave/alternative album of the early 80's. I remember getting so excited when Sunday Bloody Sunday or New Year's Day would come on Night Tracks or Friday Night Videos.

Then came The Joshua Tree: incredible. Seminal album. They were the biggest band in the world, having taken the mantle from The Police after their sudden breakup. (boooo)

Rattle & Hum came out, and yes there were some catchy tunes but I was concerned. What the hell are they doing? That's okay - paying tribute to BB, etc. I get it. The next one, they will get back to real rock music and it will be boss, I'm sure.

Then Achtung Baby. That sealed it for me. I remember driving back to Starkville, having just purchased the new U2 CD at Bebop before I left to go back to school. No. Just no. It was electronic noise, as Lennon might say. I jumped off the U2 train at that point, never to return.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
Big Wreck - In Loving Memory Of
Great underrated band. Saw them at Hal & Mal's while they were on tour for this record. Grace Street and Albatross are my two favorite albums from them although I don't think they have a dud in their history. Ian Thornley's solo projects are great as well.

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
Great underrated band. Saw them at Hal & Mal's while they were on tour for this record. Grace Street and Albatross are my two favorite albums from them although I don't think they have a dud in their history. Ian Thornley's solo projects are great as well.
I was at that concert as well. Got my ticket stub (ticket #1, somehow), signed by all four members of the band. I remember them covering Immigrant Song and Simple Man by Skynryd also, and only in the past couple of years have a seen a recording of them covering Simple Man show up on Youtube.

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
What is an album(cd, digital, record, whatever) that you can press play and not touch until it ends?
My shortlist would be:

The Beatles - Abbey Road. Might be my vote for greatest album of all time.

The Allman Brothers - At Fillmore East. Might be my vote for greatest live album of all time.

Girl Talk - All Day. This is my go to work out music. If you've never heard it, you should definitely check it out. Especially if you like a wide range of music. This is how the album starts.

Widespread Panic - Space Wrangler. This album reminds me of some of the best times of my life so it's an easy listen.

Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run. Supposedly the album that saved rock and roll in the 70s. Just quality from start to finish.

Anne Murray's Christmas album. Don't @ me.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
What is an album(cd, digital, record, whatever) that you can press play and not touch until it ends? Below are 5 of mine that I can just press play on and have been influential on me. They are a healthy mix of genre and time period. Oddly though, nothing from this century. I have a ton of music from this last 20 years, but its all digital format and single songs vs full albums. Tech really did change how music is consumed by many of us.
17 off if you cant deal with the long post. <--getting it started on the right foot!***

Bob Marley and the Wailers- Legend
- Its a greatest hits album and I distinctly remember playing it all the way thru all the time back with CDs were a thing. I was too young to heave heard him when he was alive, so this was a great way to hear his stuff from the early 70s to early 80s and got me into learning a ton of history about his life and views.
14 incredible songs one after another.

Nirvana- MTV Unplugged in New York
- Released when I was 13 and 7 months after Cobain killed himself. I remember seeing the broadcast version of it shortly before Cobain died and it was incredible. They did a few hits, but it was mostly lesser known songs and a couple covers. The version of All Apologies is something I will never forget- Dave Grohl's brushed drums really gets it started and Cobain's singing along with the cello combine to make something where the pain of the song can be felt. After Cobain died, MTV went into overdrive and played the broadcast like hourly(it seemed).
The album is absolutely one that can just play from start to finish. And it ends with a cover of Lead Belly's Where Did you Sleep Last Night that is so powerful in its raw emotion. Cobain's vocals are haunting and sad.

Wyclef Jean- The Carnival featuring Refugee Allstars
- This was Clef's debut solo effort and it is a concept album where Clef is on trial and songs are used to defend him. There are these silly skits between songs were characters are testifying during the trial. It came out when I was 16 and was transformative in its creativity. The CD hits hard on culture with some Spanish influence, some R&B, some rap, and a few song sung in his native Haitian Creole.
Every song and every skit is played straight on thru. I butcher the Haitian Creole songs but I will sing along to them even.

Phish- A Live One
- This was my introduction to Jam Band music when I was a freshman in HS as it had just been released a couple months earlier. 2 CDs with only 12 songs in total because so many were long as can be.
It opens with an incredible version of Bouncing Around the Room and closes with a near 13 minute long version of The Squirming Coil. I know every single piano key stroke in that song's long solo. It is one of the few things that will be locked in my long term memory when I am old and forgetting everything else.

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band- Live 1975-85
- Another live album. Another greatest hits compilation...at least greatest hits of a specific 10 year span. I grew up on The Boss and have known every radio friendly(so not the 8min long versions) song since I was probably 6. This album hits all of those and so much more.
Its 40 songs of non-stop energy and stories.
- The Born to Run recording is legendary. So much energy.
- His interlude stories during Growin Up are something I memorized long ago and have annoyed my wife for almost 25 years by repeating during the songs(that she tolerates).
- The version of This Land is Your Land and his talk at the start introduced me to who Woody Guthrie is and some context to what Guthrie's intent was when writing that song. Bruce pays tribute to the song perfectly.
- This album's versions of I'm On Fire, My Hometown, Jersey Girl, Because the Night, Rosalita, and so many more are what is burned into my mind when I think of the songs.
- The first song of the entire album is an acoustic version of Thunder Road and it is the song I sang basically every night to both my kids for the first 6 years of their lives. Both knew the lyrics in full before they could read. There is no better song that has been recorded.
Beatles - Revolver
Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
Zeppelin - Just about all of them

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
The number of uncultured philistines in this thread saying The Black Album is distressing. Ride the Lightning is my favorite Metallica album, but I have to admit there are a couple of low points. The perfect Metallica album is Master of Puppets

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login