OT- Perfect album(s)?

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Hah! You guys have all outdone yourselves with this thread, and thanks for reminding me of Prince Elton John and SRV. There are several that I have played to death on 8 track, cassette, and CD. I can't even I'm again trying to explain to my younger self how I can play any of these from one device.

One more to mention that I listened to over and over with many a beer while gravel road was flying underneath our old Mustang... close as a brother who got the worst news today. Think I'll put this on repeat.

I love the debut album more with Bounty Hunter. Still that has a couple of weak songs.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
U2- Actung Baby and Joshua Tree
REM- Automatic for the People
Plankeye- Commonwealth
The Prayer Chain- Mercury
The Choir- Speckled Bird, Free Flying Soul, and Circleslide
Poor Old Lu- Sin and A picture of the Eighth Wonder
77's- Sticks and Stones and Tom Tom Blues
Cush- Cush
Mars Ill- Breackbackonmics
Michael Knott- The Life of David
LSU- Graceshaker
The Violet Burning- Demonstrates Plastic and Elastic
Sixpence None the Richer- This Beautiful Mess
Daniel Amos- Songs of the Heart and Bibleland
Demon Hunter- Summer of Darkness
Adam Again- Dig
I'm probably forgetting some.

DawgInThe256

Feb 18, 2011
Eminem - The Eminem Show
Guns n Roses - Appetite for Destruction
Hank Williams, Jr. - Vol. 5 Habits Old and New
Various - FM Soundtrack
Johnny Cash - American IV: The Man Comes Around
Joan Jett - Bad Reputation

I can also put in pretty much any Frank Sinatra album and play start to finish without a problem.
I feel like the FM Soundtrack is vastly underrated. Good call.

Reactions: Dawgg

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
A Band way ahead of their time. Better timing and they would have been massive!
I’d argue, although I’m not….but….they were in the perfect spot…other bands would not have progressed without them

Reactions: HRMSU

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I love the debut album more with Bounty Hunter. Still that has a couple of weak songs.
None of their music is symphonic nirvana. It's made for one kind of feeling, and you get it or you don't. If you don't, it's quite ok.

I agree the first album is good, but the next album with their version of the Allman Brothers' "Dreams I'll Never See" is a southern rock guitar anthem.

Reactions: MaxwellSmart

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Only one other vote for Appetite? WTF?

Tool - Aenima and Lateralus
GnR - Appetite
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
PJ - Ten
Clutch - The Elephant Riders
RATM - Evil Empire
7 Mary 3 - American Standard
while American Standard is great, are you familiar with their Rock Crown and Orange Ave releases? To me, those are much better.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Lotta good ones on here.

I'm getting too old, and the streaming services have jacked up my album brain, but I still will go with-

Radiohead- The Bends

I 17'ing love every track, and it's a great example of how to master an album. The rises and falls are great. It's their best lyrical album to me also.
Utterly great album!

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Hah! You guys have all outdone yourselves with this thread, and thanks for reminding me of Prince Elton John and SRV. There are several that I have played to death on 8 track, cassette, and CD. I can't even I'm again trying to explain to my younger self how I can play any of these from one device.

One more to mention that I listened to over and over with many a beer while gravel road was flying underneath our old Mustang... close as a brother who got the worst news today. Think I'll put this on repeat.

Honky Château is a great EJ album

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
while American Standard is great, are you familiar with their Rock Crown and Orange Ave releases? To me, those are much better.
Yes. I can tolerate the Rock Crown album. Orange Ave sucks IMO. The songs Honey of Generation, Home Stretch and Rock Crown are the only 3 things they did post America Standard that I like.

MaroonOldCrow

Aug 22, 2012
Off the top of my head:

Genesis - Genesis
The Outfield - Play Deep
Animal Years - Sun Will Rise

I know I have others, but I haven't finished my first coffee this morning.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Wow. The Pack has good taste in music. But some of you are clearly showing your age, something I won't reveal with my pics
#1 Burl Ives, Songs of the West

Wait, got that all wrong.

Saw Bukka White listed. Toss in some Son House, Mississippi Fred McDowell, Skip James and other greats from Magnolia State. Monumental figures in my music library

BB King, Live at the Regal
Skynyrd's Second Helping and Street Survivors
Beatle's Revolver and Sgt. Pepper
Led Zeppelin II and IV and Physical Graffiti
Stones, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile on Mainstreet
The Who, Who's Next
Allison Krauss, Now that I've Found You
Isbell, Southeastern
Tyler Childers, Live at Red Barn and Purgatory
Lyle, Joshua, Judges, Ruth and Pontiac
Allman Bros, Live
Beach Boys, Pet Sounds
Boston
U2, Unforgettable Fire
Hendrix, Band of Gypsies
Bonnie Raitt, Nick of Time and Luck of the Draw
Ray Charles, Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music

That's enough to keep you enjoying life

Last edited:

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
C'mon... You punched the button on Revolution 9.
Hey now, you "move the needle". Took some skill to land that thing in the right groove.

Fun topic and some great submissions but I'm having to think hard about albums I never pushed the button (or moved the needle in my case) as there seemed to always be a dud or two I just couldn't handle.
I'll go with
Don McLean American Pie
Steely Dan Aja and Royal Scam
Boz Scaggs Silk Degrees
Toad the Wet Sprocket Dulcinea and Coil
as the closest.

drummerdawg

Mar 14, 2013
I'm sure I'm forgetting some...

Pet Sounds
Sunflower
Help
Magical Mystery Tour
Abbey Road
Nevermind
Mellon Collie
Dookie
Jalapeño
Enima of the State
Take off your pants and jacket
Follow the Leader
Issues
Young and the Hopeless
Hot Fuss
The Autumn Effect
Youth
City of Evil
Avenged Sevenfold (White Album)
Pure Heroine
Someday Came Suddenly
Define the Great Line

Greatest hits I've had that I can listen to anytime:

Elton John
Beach Boys
Beatles
Green Day
Aerosmith
ZZ Top
Dire Straits
The Cars
Rush
Flatt and Scruggs

Dawgpile

May 23, 2006
Hey now, you "move the needle". Took some skill to land that thing in the right groove.

Fun topic and some great submissions but I'm having to think hard about albums I never pushed the button (or moved the needle in my case) as there seemed to always be a dud or two I just couldn't handle.
I'll go with
Don McLean American Pie
Steely Dan Aja and Royal Scam
Boz Scaggs Silk Degrees
Toad the Wet Sprocket Dulcinea and Coil
as the closest.
Old enough for 8-tracks too... THAT was an art if you could change tracks to get back to your favorites quicker!

Forgot about Toad the Wet Sprocket! Bread and Circus was another I listened all the way through.

I don't think anyone has mentioned Mad Season - Above. It was strong through and through.

Last edited:

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
Great thread!

GNR - Appetite for Destruction
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Megadeth - Peace Sells, But Who's Buying
Tool - Lateralus and Fear Inoculum
Beetles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Led Zeppelin - Physical Grafitti and Houses of the Holy
Motley Crue - Theater of Pain

All of these have been in my unskippable song list over the years.

J-Dawg

Mar 4, 2009
Foo Fighters - The Colour and the Shape
Garth Brooks - Double Live
ABB - At Filmore East
Incubus - Morning View / Light Grenades
Jason Isbell - Something more than free
Turnpike Troubadors self titled album
PJ - Ten
Tyler Childers - Purgatory
Zep - Zoso
Panic - Bombs & Butterflies

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Hopefully this is more collaborative and fun than contentious.
What is an album(cd, digital, record, whatever) that you can press play and not touch until it ends? Below are 5 of mine that I can just press play on and have been influential on me. They are a healthy mix of genre and time period. Oddly though, nothing from this century. I have a ton of music from this last 20 years, but its all digital format and single songs vs full albums. Tech really did change how music is consumed by many of us.
17 off if you cant deal with the long post. <--getting it started on the right foot!***

Bob Marley and the Wailers- Legend
- Its a greatest hits album and I distinctly remember playing it all the way thru all the time back with CDs were a thing. I was too young to heave heard him when he was alive, so this was a great way to hear his stuff from the early 70s to early 80s and got me into learning a ton of history about his life and views.
14 incredible songs one after another.

Nirvana- MTV Unplugged in New York
- Released when I was 13 and 7 months after Cobain killed himself. I remember seeing the broadcast version of it shortly before Cobain died and it was incredible. They did a few hits, but it was mostly lesser known songs and a couple covers. The version of All Apologies is something I will never forget- Dave Grohl's brushed drums really gets it started and Cobain's singing along with the cello combine to make something where the pain of the song can be felt. After Cobain died, MTV went into overdrive and played the broadcast like hourly(it seemed).
The album is absolutely one that can just play from start to finish. And it ends with a cover of Lead Belly's Where Did you Sleep Last Night that is so powerful in its raw emotion. Cobain's vocals are haunting and sad.

Wyclef Jean- The Carnival featuring Refugee Allstars
- This was Clef's debut solo effort and it is a concept album where Clef is on trial and songs are used to defend him. There are these silly skits between songs were characters are testifying during the trial. It came out when I was 16 and was transformative in its creativity. The CD hits hard on culture with some Spanish influence, some R&B, some rap, and a few song sung in his native Haitian Creole.
Every song and every skit is played straight on thru. I butcher the Haitian Creole songs but I will sing along to them even.

Phish- A Live One
- This was my introduction to Jam Band music when I was a freshman in HS as it had just been released a couple months earlier. 2 CDs with only 12 songs in total because so many were long as can be.
It opens with an incredible version of Bouncing Around the Room and closes with a near 13 minute long version of The Squirming Coil. I know every single piano key stroke in that song's long solo. It is one of the few things that will be locked in my long term memory when I am old and forgetting everything else.

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band- Live 1975-85
- Another live album. Another greatest hits compilation...at least greatest hits of a specific 10 year span. I grew up on The Boss and have known every radio friendly(so not the 8min long versions) song since I was probably 6. This album hits all of those and so much more.
Its 40 songs of non-stop energy and stories.
- The Born to Run recording is legendary. So much energy.
- His interlude stories during Growin Up are something I memorized long ago and have annoyed my wife for almost 25 years by repeating during the songs(that she tolerates).
- The version of This Land is Your Land and his talk at the start introduced me to who Woody Guthrie is and some context to what Guthrie's intent was when writing that song. Bruce pays tribute to the song perfectly.
- This album's versions of I'm On Fire, My Hometown, Jersey Girl, Because the Night, Rosalita, and so many more are what is burned into my mind when I think of the songs.
- The first song of the entire album is an acoustic version of Thunder Road and it is the song I sang basically every night to both my kids for the first 6 years of their lives. Both knew the lyrics in full before they could read. There is no better song that has been recorded.
Scrolled through about 20 replies and didn’t see Hysteria. You all are a bunch of idiots.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Scrolled through about 20 replies and didn’t see Hysteria. You all are a bunch of idiots.
They have too much harmony. Sort of like another album and a group we forgot.

A Night at the Opera - Queen

We can't remember everything. If you asked me what were all the artists and albums I couldn't tell you. When iTunes started, I bought a little bit every week. I have everything ABBA and The Carpenters to Metallica and Iron Maiden. My Country collection has gotten more extensive as well since iTunes started selling Essential collections of artists

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
Damn. Forgot all about that one. It's been oversaturated to the point that I can't listen to many of the songs on that album now (just like Appetite for Destruction) but at one in 9th grade that album was the best damn thing I'd ever heard. Every song on it was a banger.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
They have too much harmony. Sort of like another album and a group we forgot.

A Night at the Opera - Queen

We can't remember everything. If you asked me what were all the artists and albums I couldn't tell you. When iTunes started, I bought a little bit every week. I have everything ABBA and The Carpenters to Metallica and Iron Maiden. My Country collection has gotten more extensive as well since iTunes started selling Essential collections of artists
Ok, IBMD I'm gonna have to ask you to turn in your mancard, lol....

BTW, anybody having any of the following should be banned without question: Helen Reddy, Anne Murrary, Barry Manilow, Kenny G, Yanni (could possibly be taken off the list just because he's married to Linda Evans), Englebert Humperdink........

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Pink Floyd- Dark Side of The Moon
Merle Haggard-Mama Tried
Alabama-Mountain Music
Peter Framton-Framton Comes Alive
2LiveCrew- The 2 Live Crew is what we are

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login