OT: Pharmaceutical Ads

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Flipping channels and I literally just hit on 5 consecutive drug ads on 5 different stations.

Is it still a conspiracy theory or even a stretch to say that the pharmaceutical companies are basically running the country? They certainly own our completely 17'd up health care system.

wdawg44

Jun 4, 2014
The commercials are definitely not intended for the small amount of people that would need said drug. They are the drugs with the least side effects (🤣), and they are a payoff to never speak against the payer.

Reactions: She Mate Me

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Drug commercials are forever wild to me. You’re just sitting there minding your own business, watching the Wheel.

Next thing you know: “You dumbasss fat17 loser, if you don’t give us a shiitload of money for these pills you’re gonna 17ing die soon!”

• Haha
Reactions: CochiseCowbell

baddmann007

Sep 26, 2023
So… I have been a pharmaceutical rep for 25 yrs. If you think we own the healthcare system you are way off base. Not even in the same ballpark.

We are like a gnat on an elephants back.

Medicare/Insurance companies are the driving force.

Reactions: OopsICroomedmypants

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Only two countries in the world allow direct to consumer prescription advertising, the United States and New Zealand. Both are considered highly capitalistic countries. If I was an alien monitoring local Jackson TV from the moon, I would think the only thing humans do is take pills and hire attorneys.

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
America is only
Flipping channels and I literally just hit on 5 consecutive drug ads on 5 different stations.

Is it still a conspiracy theory or even a stretch to say that the pharmaceutical companies are basically running the country? They certainly own our completely 17'd up health care system.
The United States is one of only two countries in the world, that allow direct-to-consumer prescription drug advertising on television, and through over platforms as well.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012

The military industrial complex and healthcare industrial complex run this country.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
The problem is that capitalism and health care don’t mix well. And I say that as an extremely economically conservative physician.

Unfortunately the other option is the federal government stepping in.

ETA: our SEC opener is in just over an hour, and this is the stuff for the top of the board. These are dark times.

Reactions: TaleofTwoDogs

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
The military industrial complex and healthcare industrial complex run this country.
Everyone looks at me like I'm the old man (I am) when I say the only way to fix this country is to start by fixing our health system, starting with the drug companies. It is a massive drain on our economy in my opinion. (I'm not that damn old.)

Reactions: She Mate Me

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
The problem is that capitalism and health care don’t mix well. And I say that as an extremely economically conservative physician.

Unfortunately the other option is the federal government stepping in.

ETA: our SEC opener is in just over an hour, and this is the stuff for the top of the board. These are dark times.

Well, I was looking for football related stuff when I saw all the ads, so there's that.

If it was true capitalism, that might better than this Frankenstein system we have. It's the massive interference in the system by government that seems to cause the majority of the problems.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
So… I have been a pharmaceutical rep for 25 yrs. If you think we own the healthcare system you are way off base. Not even in the same ballpark.

We are like a gnat on an elephants back.

Medicare/Insurance companies are the driving force.

Certainly I'm oversimplifying the problem massively.

But, it is a massive problem and their seems to be little intention to change anything from those most responsible for it. More profits is always the focus. The 17'n constant vaccine ads are disgusting.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
The commercials are definitely not intended for the small amount of people that would need said drug.

This is the part that's so confusing to me. It seems like every drug commercial I see is for something that affects 1 in about 250k people. Rarely anything anymore about blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes, or anything that's an actual common condition

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
This is the part that's so confusing to me. It seems like every drug commercial I see is for something that affects 1 in about 250k people. Rarely anything anymore about blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes, or anything that's an actual common condition
T
Thats Because the drugs they are advertising make the a bazillion dollars if even just a few people get them

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
I don't understand why there are ads for meds that require a prescription. I suppose the thought is that you'll suggest one of the meds to your doctor, who'll then prescribe it.

But isn't the doctor the one who should be telling you, the patient, what to take instead of you telling him?

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
I don't understand why there are ads for meds that require a prescription. I suppose the thought is that you'll suggest one of the meds to your doctor, who'll then prescribe it.

But isn't the doctor the one who should be telling you, the patient, what to take instead of you telling him?
Yep. But the pharmaceutical companies make money off of those prescriptions. Patients show up almost demanding those medications, and then more prescriptions are written. This goes along with my above comment that capitalism and healthcare don’t mix.

as a rule I don’t prescribe brand new meds until they are out in the wild for a while.

I personally think pharmaceutical ads should be illegal.