OT: Pompano Beach / Fort Lauderdale

TimberBeast

Aug 23, 2012
Going to be in Pompano Beach for the next few days for a golf tournament. I wanted to ask to see if anyone knows any good restaurants or cool things to see. Not really looking for seafood unless it’s something specific to the area that we can’t get on the MS gulf coast. Really would like some good Cuban food one night. Thanks for any suggestions.

DAWGS1.sixpack

Feb 15, 2007
Cuba Libra on Las Olas Blvd in FLL is about as good and authentic as it gets.

Last edited:

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
That far south the fall pompano may still be there. The become a rare catch west of Mobile Bay because they are sight hunters. Probably best to look for a local surf fishing guide. They are the most delicious fish in the ocean.

TimberBeast

Aug 23, 2012
Wow. That is a messed up place. Hard to even think that you’re in the state of Florida down there.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Wow. That is a messed up place. Hard to even think that you’re in the state of Florida down there.

Haha it’s definitely a totally different world than north Florida or even central Florida.

I grew up in the Tampa area, which has a very sizable Spanish speaking population but it’s nothing compared to the Miami area.

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017
If you want authentic Cuban food in that are a La Carreta is authentic as it gets. It's a local chain with a few locations around Miami and I think there is one close to Ft Lauderdale. I would say it is worth the drive into Miami to eat at the original location on 8th ave.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun

Jan 9, 2016
Going to be in Pompano Beach for the next few days for a golf tournament. I wanted to ask to see if anyone knows any good restaurants or cool things to see. Not really looking for seafood unless it’s something specific to the area that we can’t get on the MS gulf coast. Really would like some good Cuban food one night. Thanks for any suggestions.

So, what goat ranch did you play?* Did y'all win your flight? Did you get any Cuban?......food that is.

TimberBeast

Aug 23, 2012
Haha it’s definitely a totally different world than north Florida or even central Florida.

I grew up in the Tampa area, which has a very sizable Spanish speaking population but it’s nothing compared to the Miami area.

More than that are the yankees, I heard full on New York accents the entire time. Everyone down there is as rude as can be. Tons of French speaking Canadians too. I’ve been down that way once before and noticed it then too but man.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
More than that are the yankees, I heard full on New York accents the entire time. Everyone down there is as rude as can be. Tons of French speaking Canadians too. I’ve been down that way once before and noticed it then too but man.

Snow birds… old people escaping the cold

Captain Ron

Aug 22, 2012
Snow birds… old people escaping the cold

Lived down there for several years and still visit a lot. Unless I had a gazillion dollars, I can’t imagine having to put up with the NY attitude and congestion again. Several long time friends are moving out of there as well. Still a good place to “visit.”

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Vince Neil had a good suggestion in Girls!Girls!Girls!

TimberBeast

Aug 23, 2012
So, what goat ranch did you play?* Did y'all win your flight? Did you get any Cuban?......food that is.

I didn’t play, my daughter played in a tournament at the Palm Aire Cypress course. It wasn’t too bad, pretty good shape, greens should have been better. Great weather though. We had several restaurants right by the hotel near the pompano beach pier so we pretty much just stayed around there. Didn’t have a lot of free time outside of golf.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun

Jan 9, 2016
Hey sorry Timber, if I came off as a jerk, didn't mean to. Just messing around. Was think you were playing in the tournament not your daughter.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login