OT: Pray for the young men of Jackson.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
It feels like it has gotten worse in the ten years since I left.

I don’t know the solution. (other than fatherhood)

TNDawg1

Oct 21, 2023
Take advantage of any positive opportunity. Outcomes aren’t guaranteed and never can be.

Digging dog

Aug 22, 2012
I don’t see any way out once they fall into this.

Has to be less than 1% that even has a chance of even living a free life beyond their 20s - or even living for that matter.

Reactions: wdawg44

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
A few things come to mind when I see this:

We’ve been told by the current administration that “white supremacy is the most dangerous terrorist threat” to the USA. Also, they are fixated on issues like “Trans Visibility Day” which brings attention to the *checks notes* 11 people who have been killed since 2020 for identifying as transgender.

If BLM was a legitimate movement and organization, these are the issues they should focus on. But, we know they truly do not care about our cities and black on black violence. It’s just an organization to stoke racial division.

What if instead of sending 200-300 billion dollars to other countries to fight unnecessary wars, we allocated just a fraction of that money to cities such as Jackson, Memphis, Chicago, etc. to fight crime? What if we sent a few billion to help these poor souls?

The government isn’t our friend, I’m afraid. There is no current solution to this problem, and I’m afraid it’ll only get worse before it gets better.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Jackson gone. Some areas will get safer as Capital Police takes over in certain areas. The tax base started moving because the politicians who ran the city did a horrible job. Until it moves back nothing will change. Hint it will never move back.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Creating healthy institutions that socialize and civilize us is harder than destroying them.
This. ^

Its true for private organizations that exist to socialize and civilize.
Its true for public organizations that exist to socialize and civilize.

SEL is a huge part of how we can teach kids social and civil norms and expectations. Unfortunately, SEL has been lumped in with other outrage educational trigger terms over the last 5 years, and its a damn shame since what it actually is, are kills to create emotional maturity, sympathy, empathy, healthy communication, etc.
It sucks that someone finds the 1 time in 100 where an SEL lesson is triggering to them and they get frothed up and go overboard by demanding SEL be removed from education.
^ I am not claiming embracing SEL will solve all of societies civility issues. It is simply one crucial part of what needs to be a very large solution. The biggest obstacle will continue to be home life, in whatever that looks like for each situation.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Parenting crises are everywhere. Cops can't raise your kids. Politicians can't raise your kids. Grandma can't raise your kids. Papa and mama need to step up and realize if they are adult enough to procreate they are adult enough to join hands and raise their children.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Parenting crises are everywhere. Cops can't raise your kids. Politicians can't raise your kids. Grandma can't raise your kids. Papa and mama need to step up and realize if they are adult enough to procreate they are adult enough to join hands and raise their children.

Maybe just be adult enough to not bring kids into your world if your world is already a shitshow.

Yeah, right...

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Society makes it easy to be a criminal. It even glorifies it to a point. Our judicial system is a joke too. We'll house a mass murderer for decades before eliminating them, so now we're just turning criminals loose to do it all again because it's too expensive to house them all. It's time for much harsher, swifter punishment.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

I don’t know the solution. (other than fatherhood)e

I will watch this all the way thru later today.

But, I see he is visiting 3 heavily black places. Does he come to some conclusion and is it about this being the fault of people who aren't black??

I'd be much more inclined to watch if he just presents what he finds.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
So are parents.
My last sentence directly recognizes this.

^ I am not claiming embracing SEL will solve all of societies civility issues. It is simply one crucial part of what needs to be a very large solution. The biggest obstacle will continue to be home life, in whatever that looks like for each situation.

Oct 7, 2022
Society makes it easy to be a criminal. It even glorifies it to a point. Our judicial system is a joke too. We'll house a mass murderer for decades before eliminating them, so now we're just turning criminals loose to do it all again because it's too expensive to house them all. It's time for much harsher, swifter punishment.
At some point there will be a snap back on all this and it will not be pretty.

Reactions: Anon1697564126

Bobby Ricigliano

Jul 27, 2011
I will watch this all the way thru later today.

But, I see he is visiting 3 heavily black places. Does he come to some conclusion and is it about this being the fault of people who aren't black??

I'd be much more inclined to watch if he just presents what he finds.
I’d say he just presents what he finds.

Reactions: She Mate Me

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022

We’ve been told by the current administration that “white supremacy is the most dangerous terrorist threat” to the USA. Also, they are fixated on issues like “Trans Visibility Day” which brings attention to the *checks notes* 11 people who have been killed since 2020 for identifying as transgender.

If BLM was a legitimate movement and organization, these are the issues they should focus on. But, we know they truly do not care about our cities and black on black violence. It’s just an organization to stoke racial division.

What if instead of sending 200-300 billion dollars to other countries to fight unnecessary wars, we allocated just a fraction of that money to cities such as Jackson, Memphis, Chicago, etc. to fight crime? What if we sent a few billion to help these poor souls?

The government isn’t our friend, I’m afraid. There is no current solution to this problem, and I’m afraid it’ll only get worse before it gets better.
i agree with you about keeping the money in the States, but if we are allocating hundreds of millions of dollars to certain cities there has to be a way somehow to make sure the money makes it to the intended recipients .
i guess what im trying to say is that i lack confidence in the current admin. to make sure ALL of the money goes where it is supposed to locally. i don't really know anything about Memphis area politicians for me to have any kind of opinion , but i can imagine Chicago's local government would be about as trustworthy as ours.

anyway just a whole lot of words to say i don't trust the current local admins with hundreds of millions of dollars..

Last edited:

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Unfortunately, I do not see a solution that will happen anytime soon.

I am checking out the SAN website and app.

Last edited:

Bobby Ricigliano

Jul 27, 2011

The mindset expressed 19:00-19:25 is a significant part of the problem, in my opinion…a combination of victimhood & thinking opportunities don’t exist when really people are either ignorant of the opportunities or too lazy to pursue them (or think it ain’t cool).

The answers given when asked about what the interview subjects would tell the next generation are interesting…stay in school, stay on the porch, etc. Why don’t they tell that to the people around them?

I had never heard about the 200 bodies buried outside the police station. When did that news come out?

Last edited:

Anon1717806835

Jun 7, 2024

There is no magic solution, but the best option is to build more jails, then put more cops on the street and judges on the bench to ensure that when these knuckleheads inevitably commit some form of violent crime that the system works efficiently.

**** empathy and rehabilitation for people like this. They are no different than Islamic terrorist who strap bombs to their body and walk into a crowded restaurant. Trying to reason, negotiate, or rehabilitate them will not end well. The primary purpose of jail is to protect the life, liberty, and property of the citizens. You do that by putting **** like this behind bars as long as you possibly can.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
Anyone who thinks they have the reason for why this is happening or the solution to fix it is fooling themselves. There are a million reasons. Are people themselves responsible? Yes. Did the government also play a part in this? Yes. Did the decades and decades of things that happened in the past play role in this? Yes. I will go out on a limb here and say that everyone who is posting in this thread was born into 1 million times better situations than the people featured in this video. I am not justifying what they are doing, but everyone needs to stop acting like it’s so simple. it is beyond a tragedy that in America we have people born into situations like this. And they are real people. Painting them to be monsters makes it easier to deal with. The amount of failures that it took for these young men to reach this point are legion. It is real easy for those of us who aren’t dealing with the reality these men deal with day to day to just yell at the other political party about how it is all their fault. It’s been what we have done for over a century while the situations these men are in have gotten worse and worse. To be clear, it is both sides.

the answer is not throwing money at it. The answer is not throwing everyone in jail. The answer is not more government sponsored programs. As of this moment there isn’t an answer. I don’t know if there ever will be one. It really does break my heart.

Last edited:

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
My last sentence directly recognizes this.

It should be the first sentence. Not included as an afterthought.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
It should be the first sentence. Not included as an afterthought.
Good lord, you are now 17ing criticizing where I put a clearly stated comment?

Ending a post with a comment doesn't mean it's an afterthought.
It could very well be a closing statement, meant to be what a reader takes away most.

^...oh no, is that an afterthought since it was the end of my post?...or is it an important takeaway?

Last edited:

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

We’d end up in the same place or worse. We’d just have a few more corrupt politicians, bureaucrats, and contractors making more money.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
That's really an American subculture. I'm not trying to be offensive but I have trouble understanding what some in the video are saying (see also poor Cajuns and West Virginians and various mountain people). None of these young men have much intelligent to say and most seem to be incredibly undereducated. People want to isolate one factor (LBJ) and maybe one issue is more important but culture is the key factor here. The black and white middle class isn't in these neighborhoods, they left long ago, and that cultural and social capital is gone. It's not just about poverty, most poor people don't behave this way and most poor blacks don't either, and history certainly plays a role although white Mississippians understandably are likely tired of being the only ones blamed for such social problems. But white supremacy and segregation prevailed for some time and there was significant resistance to it from whites.

But I don't think this will get solved by saying we need better white people to solve these problems. Poor people from around the world, often from places with less of a social safety net, come here and succeed. People from places with greater welfare states and social safety nets don't behave this way so it's not just a function of welfare although it certainly plays a role in family formation. Most immigrants socialize upwards rather than downwards.

One way to improve this would be to arrest and imprison criminals to a greater extent. I don't think there's an unlimited supply of murderers in America and the murder and crime rate will decline if criminals are imprisoned. The phrase poverty causes crime isn't really true. Crime causes and entrenches poverty and successful people avoid crime-ridden places. Crime would be even worse without smart people changing their behavior to avoid it. I also think the code of silence around this issue needs to end. Behavior matters. Some of my redneck cousins have said things such as "he was in the wrong place at the wrong time" when a friend made the choice to be in a place that lead to his misfortune, something smarter people avoid. That is, we seem to think that some people shouldn't be expected to embrace a set of behaviors that limit social dysfunction. Yet we can criticize poor whites without being called bigots and racists. Some even claim, falsely, that they ruined their own white privilege.

We also should be willing to provide some support for communities willing to address this dysfunction responsibly and do things to promote family formation. Having an out-of-wedlock birthrate of 70% isn't good for any group's success (it's 16% for Asian Americans which is why they boss most measure's of well being. It's 50% for Latinos when it was about 15% in 1980; it's around 30% for whites). Long-term birth control is essential. That's likely the main cause of this pathological behavior. Without massive interventions, including from successful, well-off black leaders who capitalize on and benefit from the status of the black underclass, the underclass will endure.

Reactions: 22yardpunt

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Good lord, you are just trying to argue where there doesn't need to be one.
17ing criticizing where I put a clearly stated comment?

It could very well be a closing statement, meant to be what a reader takes away most.

^...oh no, is that an afterthought since it was the end of my post?...or is it an important takeaway?
Hoss, you sound mad..

Im just wondering how long before the left’s first response to the rapid decay of our society will NOT be… more government programs.

Last edited:

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
Good lord, you are now 17ing criticizing where I put a clearly stated comment?

Your posts get picked apart because of the judgmental, long-winded, word-salad-like way you ramble.

Then, the way you get mad and lash out with more gibberish about it makes me worry for YOUR house, not just Jackson. Grow up.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login