OT: Pray for the young men of Jackson.

Shakie

Jun 8, 2017
This doesn't have anything to do with COVID. There is no one thing you can point to and say that's the reason. I can tell you most of the young men didn't have postive role models to teach them. The whole gangsta lifestyle has been on display in the Delta my whole life and I'm 48 yrs old. It was brought down from Chicago. All the rap music and social media also contributes.

Reactions: Gooserip and Dawg84

sandwolf.sixpack

Feb 19, 2013
This. ^

Its true for private organizations that exist to socialize and civilize.
Its true for public organizations that exist to socialize and civilize.

SEL is a huge part of how we can teach kids social and civil norms and expectations. Unfortunately, SEL has been lumped in with other outrage educational trigger terms over the last 5 years, and its a damn shame since what it actually is, are kills to create emotional maturity, sympathy, empathy, healthy communication, etc.
It sucks that someone finds the 1 time in 100 where an SEL lesson is triggering to them and they get frothed up and go overboard by demanding SEL be removed from education.
^ I am not claiming embracing SEL will solve all of societies civility issues. It is simply one crucial part of what needs to be a very large solution. The biggest obstacle will continue to be home life, in whatever that looks like for each situation.
I always look forward to you weighing in on these threads from up there in Iowa, one of the whitest places on earth.

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
I will watch this all the way thru later today.

But, I see he is visiting 3 heavily black places. Does he come to some conclusion and is it about this being the fault of people who aren't black??

I'd be much more inclined to watch if he just presents what he finds.
Pretty much presents it straight but not sure it's worth watching all of it unless you just want to get depressed later today. First few minutes will give you the gist of it. You will however miss the requisite Farmer Joe and Christian Chip white guys providing their insights on the situation (I guess that's what it was) and a random PBS story about 200 people being buried behind a prison in Hinds Co.

I did appreciate them using subtitles. Always thought I had a pretty keen ear but that was way past anything I could decipher.

At the risk of appearing defensive about MS, that "doc" could be shot in just about any state you choose. Sad and depressing no doubt but as others have said (including those in the doc) no idea what to do about it.

Reactions: She Mate Me

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
Pretty much presents it straight but not sure it's worth watching all of it unless you just want to get depressed later today. First few minutes will give you the gist of it. You will however miss the requisite Farmer Joe and Christian Chip white guys providing their insights on the situation (I guess that's what it was) and a random PBS story about 200 people being buried behind a prison in Hinds Co.

I did appreciate them using subtitles. Always thought I had a pretty keen ear but that was way past anything I could decipher.

At the risk of appearing defensive about MS, that "doc" could be shot in just about any state you choose. Sad and depressing no doubt but as others have said (including those in the doc) no idea what to do about it.
He posted a similar video for Baton Rouge a few months ago on his YouTube channel. The responses are nearly the same to his questions. You could probably switch the titles of the documentaries and not know the difference.

TNDawg1

Oct 21, 2023
My brother married into a family where his brother in law turned out to be a career drug dealing felon. He turned enough evidence to get out of jail at points but would always, always, always piss on what limited opportunities given too him in the trades.

Not always, but in most cases, people living out homelessness are getting the wages they bargained for. “This is your brain, this is your brain on drugs”

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I always look forward to you weighing in on these threads from up there in Iowa, one of the whitest places on earth.
My response was about SEL, which is a practice that is applicable to all people, regardless of race/ethnicity/socioeconomic status.

garddog

Dec 10, 2008
It is not just a "black" issue. The crux of the issue is that people have been incentivized to have children out of wedlock for 50 plus years. I personally know white women and men that abuse the system by having multiple kids to get the max welfare benefits. I have had employees that would not marry because it would cost them money.

Free money, food stamps, free Healthcare, free phones, and then they get a huge "tax" refund, that they didn't pay in. So they can work and make 25k a year and get a ton of money. It takes a 60kor more a year job to offset the difference. Very few people can make a job switch that jumps them 35k in a year.

The first step is eliminating the incentives. The second step is bringing jobs back from overseas. Third step is stop lying to kids that they all need to go to college. It is harder every year to find trades people.

The US education system is a fraud, it teaches to the lowest denominator. Smart kids are bored. There are few parents that teach trade skills to their kids and the school system does a poor job at it.

Most folks 45 and up were taught to fix their own stuff by their parents. Almost everyone could get a job off that 40 years ago.

Reactions: BevinBrown

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Hoss, you sound mad..

Im just wondering how long before the left’s first response to the rapid decay of our society will NOT be… more government programs.

My response wasn't to have more government programs.
My response added to an earlier comment about how it is more difficult to build institutions of civility than it is to destroy them.
My response was about a well established and researched practice that already exists.

You complained I should recognize civility starts in the home with parents, even though I had done that.
So you pivoted and criticized me for saying it too late, as if I am required to say it sooner.
Now you respond with some comment complaining about the answer being another government program, even though I hadn't suggested a new government program.

Are you trying to take over for PDH, or what? I mean these are some absurd level responses and you clearly aren't reading, or understanding what you read, before responding.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
The first step is eliminating the incentives. The second step is bringing jobs back from overseas. Third step is stop lying to kids that they all need to go to college. It is harder every year to find trades people.
- Sure, eliminate incentives to not work.
- Your second step is questionable since we simply don't actually want many of the jobs because of low pay and/or environmental decay. Yeah bringing back high pay manufacturing would be awesome, but how do you want that to happen- make the government force companies to employ Americans? Eek...that wouldn't be very free market or limited government.
- Your third comment is already happening and has been happening for years now. It's a concept that has been preached for years, is supported by state and local governments thru trade programs and school programs, and is constantly in the news.

The US education system is a fraud, it teaches to the lowest denominator. Smart kids are bored. There are few parents that teach trade skills to their kids and the school system does a poor job at it.
School districts have been looking at and moving towards reimagining education, and supporting STEAM and trades has been part of that. This is something that is happening across the country in red and blue states.
Claiminf smart people are bored is such a wide sweeping generalization, and so very incorrect in many cases, that it's not worth debating.

Most folks 45 and up were taught to fix their own stuff by their parents. Almost everyone could get a job off that 40 years ago.
Stuff isn't made to be fixed in the same way it was 40 years ago. Your comment isn't actually a criticism of the education system, it's criticizing technological advancements and an increase in proprietary/specialized design.

garddog

Dec 10, 2008
- Sure, eliminate incentives to not work.
- Your second step is questionable since we simply don't actually want many of the jobs because of low pay and/or environmental decay. Yeah bringing back high pay manufacturing would be awesome, but how do you want that to happen- make the government force companies to employ Americans? Eek...that wouldn't be very free market or limited government.
- Your third comment is already happening and has been happening for years now. It's a concept that has been preached for years, is supported by state and local governments thru trade programs and school programs, and is constantly in the news.

School districts have been looking at and moving towards reimagining education, and supporting STEAM and trades has been part of that. This is something that is happening across the country in red and blue states.
Claiminf smart people are bored is such a wide sweeping generalization, and so very incorrect in many cases, that it's not worth debating.

Stuff isn't made to be fixed in the same way it was 40 years ago. Your comment isn't actually a criticism of the education system, it's criticizing technological advancements and an increase in proprietary/specialized design.
You obviously aren't an employer that needs trade workers. The high school programs are not turning out kids ready to work. You have to hire and train them in house which equals low productivity for around 1 year.

The programs your referencing aren't true vo tec. And 2/3 of the kids only get 1 credit in "CTE" courses.

Per the federal government there are 30 million jobs with a mean pay of 55k a year that aren't being filled right now.

Kids need to be evaluated and moved on to either accelerated classes or trades by 14 years old.

Reactions: Anon1697564126

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
LBJ wrecked this country and round two looks to be right around the corner. The black family was solid before his ******** legislation destroyed it.
Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

HomeBoyDawg

Oct 22, 2013
You'd think there'd be someone smart enough to come up with a CCC/military/prison hybrid to help these kids. I've heard that CCC contributed to the Greatest Generation and, thus, WWII soldiers that were second to none.

Reactions: Yeti and TNDawg1

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
You'd think there'd be someone smart enough to come up with a CCC/military/prison hybrid to help these kids. I've heard that CCC contributed to the Greatest Generation and, thus, WWII soldiers that were second to none.
If you think any kind of government intervention could make these hopeless cases into people who even remotely resemble our Greatest Generation and particularly our WWII soldiers......... Well I'll just leave it at that.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
LBJ wrecked this country and round two looks to be right around the corner. The black family was solid before his ******** legislation destroyed it.
The Great Society had some ineffective and bad programs but it's not like Republican presidents and majorities in Congress never happened since 1968. Or are Republicans too incompetent to change and reverse policies or are they just helpless to do anything positive?

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Q: "Can a murderer still be a good person?"
A: "A person ain't gonna murder nobody for no reason."
I agree. Murderers always have a reason to murder someone else. They also have reasons not to murder anyone.

I have no idea if this can be changed to any significant degree.
Anyone on this site moving to Jackson to bring about change?

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
This isn't a good trend. The clearance rate for murders, once at over 90%, is around 50% and especially low for black Americans.

Attachments

• GVSUxrHW4AA7sSR (1).jpeg
    GVSUxrHW4AA7sSR (1).jpeg
    197 KB · Views: 6
  • Fvoa-_TWIAwdSxE.jpeg
    Fvoa-_TWIAwdSxE.jpeg
    55.6 KB · Views: 6

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
The Great Society had some ineffective and bad programs but it's not like Republican presidents and majorities in Congress never happened since 1968. Or are Republicans too incompetent to change and reverse policies or are they just helpless to do anything positive?
Richard Nixon was well on his way to restoring the black middle class. The biggest issue is that everyone is scared to lose votes, Democrat or Republican.
However, you can’t help someone who has no desire to better themselves.

Last edited:

WGWFA

Oct 12, 2021
Raised in south Jackson, moved out in 2004 to Brandon going into my senior year in 05 at Hillcrest. In this day and time, if someone came to me telling me housing was free to get me to move back in order to rebuild the city, I wouldn’t take it. I’m staying my *** in rankin county all while not giving a damn if the state takes over fully and the CCID is in tact (I get it but I don’t agree with it.).
There is no hope for Jackson because of its city government. All across the board, the citizens eat their own and they’re in bed with the politicians making it even worse. Kim Wade is the only person who would be able to fix but home boy isn’t going to vote for someone like him simply because he’s not their kind.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
We all understand that Jackson is in bad shape with little reason to think things get better any time soon. That is sad enough. But who else worries for the whole state of Mississippi? Crime in Jackson and poverty in the Delta affect the whole state. There are nice areas like Madison, but eventually even those places will lose value as things get worse and worse in places like Jackson.

I know every state has cities with problems, but most states also have a lot to offer. What’s another example of a state with its only city of any size having the problems and lack of positives of Jackson?

Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
We all understand that Jackson is in bad shape with little reason to think things get better any time soon. That is sad enough. But who else worries for the whole state of Mississippi? Crime in Jackson and poverty in the Delta affect the whole state. There are nice areas like Madison, but eventually even those places will lose value as things get worse and worse in places like Jackson.

I know every state has cities with problems, but most states also have a lot to offer. What’s another example of a state with its only city of any size having the problems and lack of positives of Jackson?
This has been discussed as nauseum and the horse has been dead, buried and rotted for a long time.

I’ve thought about it for years. But it’s apparent to me, that many Mississippians either don’t GAF or would rather be delusional about it.

HWY51dog

Jul 24, 2013
My wife is a teacher/tudor at juvie the last 7/8 years. 90 percent of the kids are from terrible home situations. Most do not have a father figure at all. They also get used by the drug dealers because they catch less time when caught, and they make fast money. I know the Sheriff in Desoto County is trying to start a mentor program for kids. Until people are willing to have honest conversations about it, nothing will change.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
I was born and raised in the Jackson metro area. Went to public schools, then to Mississippi State. Worked in Jackson for 5 years, then went to law school at Ole Miss and ended up moving to Northern Virginia (Arlington) in 1998.

One of the first things I noticed when I moved to Northern Virginia was (generally) how much more educated all of the black people are compared to black people in Mississippi.

In Northern Virginia, I never saw (and still never do see) any black guys like the guys in this video, where you can't hardly understand what they are saying and they are very clearly uneducated.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
Damn. Dude. I mean…..wow.
so you’re not familiar with how chicago reduced violent crimes?

“The Freakonomics podcast, particularly in its episode titled “Abortion and Crime, Revisited,” explores a controversial theory linking the legalization of abortion to a significant drop in crime rates in the United States. This theory, first proposed by economists Steven Levitt and John Donohue in a 2001 paper, suggests that states with higher abortion rates after Roe v. Wade saw a larger decrease in crime by the 1990s compared to states with lower abortion rates.

Their argument is based on the idea that legalized abortion led to fewer births among populations at higher risk of poverty and crime, thus reducing the number of individuals likely to engage in criminal behavior 15-20 years later. They found that by 1997, there was about a 30% difference in crime reduction between states with the highest and lowest abortion rates.”

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login