OT: West Jackson X famous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
X says the victims moved to West Jackson 4 months ago..... WHY? Are people really that naive??. Or maybe that house in that location was all they could afford.

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
I live in Memphis. Last kid off to college this fall. Trying to figure out where I’m going but won’t be a war zone where the mayor’s solution is more basketball courts lots of families in my boat are doing the same and they aren’t just going to to Collierville we are leaving.

Reactions: GomJabbar

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
WAPT says the kids are now in Batesville, so apparently they have some ability to get around. I don’t see how you accidentally end up there. You can accidentally end up in a less than stellar neighborhood, but you really have to seek it out to find an area as bad as Jackson, specifically that particularly west Jackson neighborhood. I mean that’s the worst of the worst.

Reactions: Double Dawg

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I live in Memphis. Last kid off to college this fall. Trying to figure out where I’m going but won’t be a war zone where the mayor’s solution is more basketball courts lots of families in my boat are doing the same and they aren’t just going to to Collierville we are lea
Yep. I have a few more years than you. But I'm out when I reach that point as well and I'm in DC.

It seems too. Every house that comes open in Desoto county, has a Shelby county tag in the drive. Memphis is losing its tax base fast.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dawgs_4_life

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
WAPT says the kids are now in Batesville, so apparently they have some ability to get around. I don’t see how you accidentally end up there. You can accidentally end up in a less than stellar neighborhood, but you really have to seek it out to find an area as bad as Jackson, specifically that particularly west Jackson neighborhood. I mean that’s the worst of the worst.
Yeah it seems like one spin around the neighborhood would be enough for me to know that’s not even a possibility.

Even with that, still sucks that these guys can just roam around the neighborhood and do this. Maybe they get caught but I doubt the really get much punishment from it.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I have a family friend (lady in her 50’s) who was shopping somewhere on County Line several weeks ago and got mugged in the parking lot. In broad daylight. Dude beat the crap out of her just to try to steal her purse. She’s ok now I think but still a very scary situation.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
How many people were in the car?

episode 2 car GIF

Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

CoastTrash

Aug 22, 2012
This CAN happen anywhere
but seems to happen more frequently in west Jackson.
Justice must be served

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I’d certainly like to know the back story of how this family ended up in West Jxn. Maybe they have a history of making bad choices? There’s a 2024 graduation sign in the yard, wonder what school the graduate attended?

I live i stankin rankin and don’t even lock my doors, but as soon as i enter a high threat area, i keep eyes in all directions at once. How this family lived there with no situational awareness is a head scratcher.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Did the only adult male leave the kids and take a garbage bag out of the car? What the hell?

I guess I hope that guy is just smashing one of the women and didn't want to risk his life for some other man's kids?

Reactions: Msdeltareb

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I’d certainly like to know the back story of how this family ended up in West Jxn. Maybe they have a history of making bad choices?
People are really bad at risk assessment, particularly for tail risks. The vast majority of Jackson residents, even in West Jackson, survive every year. People that don't understand asymmetrical returns look at that fact and think people are overreacting to crime and are driven by fear.

You see it a lot more in fringe neighborhoods than the most dangerous neighborhoods, but you see it everywhere it's dangerous.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
People are really bad at risk assessment, particularly for tail risks. The vast majority of Jackson residents, even in West Jackson, survive every year. People that don't understand asymmetrical returns look at that fact and think people are overreacting to crime and are driven by fear.

You see it a lot more in fringe neighborhoods than the most dangerous neighborhoods, but you see it everywhere it's dangerous.
You're correct, but this particular family was at MUCH higher risk in that neighborhood, than they'd have been in a fringe neighborhood. We all know why, no reason to beat around the bush. Easy target.

I still don't see how they ended up there. A million better options, even at a low price point. If they could afford a car nice enough to be carjacked, they can afford rent in Pearl (or Batesville, I guess).

But this is ultimately why many true middle class people don't want to move to MS. These things are well known, and it's much safer to live other places if you have to go cheap.

DawgieDust

Nov 6, 2017
Looks like a BLM event got off course and ended up at the neighbor's house. Those neighbor cars are similar to big screen tv's at Wal Mart.

Reactions: BossDawg78

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
I’d certainly like to know the back story of how this family ended up in West Jxn. Maybe they have a history of making bad choices? There’s a 2024 graduation sign in the yard, wonder what school the graduate attended?

I live i stankin rankin and don’t even lock my doors, but as soon as i enter a high threat area, i keep eyes in all directions at once. How this family lived there with no situational awareness is a head scratcher.
Agree.

Surely that family moved there from out of state, without doing any research at all.

Still, if they personally looked at the house before buying it, then how could they not tell that is a very dangerous area?

I suppose sometimes people make very stupid decisions.

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
I have a family friend (lady in her 50’s) who was shopping somewhere on County Line several weeks ago and got mugged in the parking lot. In broad daylight. Dude beat the crap out of her just to try to steal her purse. She’s ok now I think but still a very scary situation.
Target parking lot?

Dawgs_4_life

Jun 12, 2014
It seems too. Every house that comes open in Desoto county, has a Shelby county tag in the drive. Memphis is losing its tax base fast.
Moved to Desoto County over 2 years ago. There were hundreds of us fleeing Shelby County all bidding on the same homes, it was insanity. Neighborhoods around here cannot be built fast enough.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
Sounds like a couple of sheltered, naive, young liberals who (used to) believe in the inherent goodness of humanity.
This is precisely what I had in mind, just hadn’t worded it in my head yet. They FAFO’d. But, at least they had some cheap rent.

Reactions: Maroon13 and patdog

BossDawg78

Jan 25, 2015
Sounds like a couple of sheltered, naive, young liberals who (used to) believe in the inherent goodness of humanity.
...."they're just poor, misunderstood and oppressed victims. I gladly gave them my car and would let them live in my house if they needed food and shelter."

Reactions: patdog

FreeDawg

Oct 6, 2010
Moving to west jackson is a bad idea. I'm curious as to exactly where that is. That said, there are white people in Virdin Addition now. That's probably the most notorious place in North Jackson I wouldn't want to be but apparently the gentrification crew just keep coming down Mayes Street thinking it's Fondren.

I'll likely get judged for this but one of the younger kids in the car appeared to be mixed so maybe there is a AA husband or boyfriend that is now head of household that led this crew to think they could live anywhere. The issue in several neighborhoods in jackson is if you are white, you're perceived as food. Even if you're a white well versed in street smarts and can handle yourself, that won't stop some of these hardheads from trying. Stay dangerous friends

Herbert Nenninger

Feb 9, 2019
If they moved from Iowa I would assume they had involvement with a realtor. I don’t see how a local realtor could direct them to such a neighborhood in good conscience.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
My daughter a few years ago went to a birthday party for a friend over on Ridgewood RD. The house is had high wall and locked gate. They backed out and when they stopped to see if traffic was coming to black guys approach the car with guns and pointed the gun at my daughter's head. The guy driving did not panic. He ran the guy over with his car. They instantly went to find JPD and told them what happen. Gave their names, phone numbers all the information they needed. Never heard back. I told my daughter not to worry, forget about it and move on. Also never go to Jackson for nothing more than passing through.

• Wow
Reactions: Darryl Steight

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
You see the original crime and then you read some of these posts, and you see real quick why Mississippi has a massive brain drain problem.

People with options want to be around neither bunch.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
You see the original crime and then you read some of these posts, and you see real quick why Mississippi has a massive brain drain problem.

People with options want to be around neither bunch.
How progressively liberal of you to insinuate that MS is nothing but a fat uneducated throng of thugs and racists. Never heard that before.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
How progressively liberal of you to insinuate that MS is nothing but a fat uneducated throng of thugs and racists. Never heard that before.
I'm not insinuating it, scooter: We clearly see both of them right here in this thread.

ETA: not sure why you had to throw fat in there as a pejorative, that's a SPS hatecrime by itself

Reactions: The Fatboy
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login