OT: What determines crypto gas fees?

JackShephard

Sep 27, 2011
I have some low value tokens I earned from a game that I've been slowly converting to ETH over the last few months. Sometimes the gas fees are very low, like around $3 to convert $100 worth of tokens. Today I'm trying to convert about $85 worth, and the gas is about $25-$35 when I get a quote. Seems ridiculous to lose 1/3 of my crypto during a swap. I'll keep checking until I can get it for under $10, but what should I watch for to let me know when the time might be right?

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I have some low value tokens I earned from a game that I've been slowly converting to ETH over the last few months. Sometimes the gas fees are very low, like around $3 to convert $100 worth of tokens. Today I'm trying to convert about $85 worth, and the gas is about $25-$35 when I get a quote. Seems ridiculous to lose 1/3 of my crypto during a swap. I'll keep checking until I can get it for under $10, but what should I watch for to let me know when the time might be right?
dress up duck dynasty GIF

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
  • Following the ICO craze of 2017-2019, bitcoin has outperformed crypto by a wide margin.
  • Bitcoin’s use as a store of value is well-established, and it continues to get easier to use it as a medium of exchange, too.
  • Crypto is riskier to invest in than bitcoin because it is difficult for an investor to accurately assess the risk associated with code from a highly complex and opaque system.

Jun 7, 2024
Everybody knows that the President of the United States sets the price of gas....

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I don't know anything about ETH, but here is an example bitcoin transaction confirmed in the last block:
  • value transferred: $814,986
  • transaction fee: $2.85 (0.00035%)
  • broadcast to confirmation: 12 minutes
  • settlement: final

JackShephard

Sep 27, 2011
  • Following the ICO craze of 2017-2019, bitcoin has outperformed crypto by a wide margin.
  • Bitcoin’s use as a store of value is well-established, and it continues to get easier to use it as a medium of exchange, too.
  • Crypto is riskier to invest in than bitcoin because it is difficult for an investor to accurately assess the risk associated with code from a highly complex and opaque system.
I have BTC. I also keep ETH. The junk token is pure profit from a "game". It is tethered to ETH, so that's the only conversion available. I can convert the ETH to BTC later, but I certainly don't want to pay another crazy high gas fee. While most responses have been humorous, I have learned nothing. Thanks SPS! LOL - just a joke guys.

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
I have BTC. I also keep ETH. The junk token is pure profit from a "game". It is tethered to ETH, so that's the only conversion available. I can convert the ETH to BTC later, but I certainly don't want to pay another crazy high gas fee. While most responses have been humorous, I have learned nothing. Thanks SPS! LOL - just a joke guys.
If you find a crypto subreddit to post this on I think you’ll have better luck. Or just search there, it’s probably been discussed already.