OT: What determines crypto gas fees?

JackShephard

Sep 27, 2011
I have some low value tokens I earned from a game that I've been slowly converting to ETH over the last few months. Sometimes the gas fees are very low, like around $3 to convert $100 worth of tokens. Today I'm trying to convert about $85 worth, and the gas is about $25-$35 when I get a quote. Seems ridiculous to lose 1/3 of my crypto during a swap. I'll keep checking until I can get it for under $10, but what should I watch for to let me know when the time might be right?

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I have some low value tokens I earned from a game that I've been slowly converting to ETH over the last few months. Sometimes the gas fees are very low, like around $3 to convert $100 worth of tokens. Today I'm trying to convert about $85 worth, and the gas is about $25-$35 when I get a quote. Seems ridiculous to lose 1/3 of my crypto during a swap. I'll keep checking until I can get it for under $10, but what should I watch for to let me know when the time might be right?
dress up duck dynasty GIF

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
  • Following the ICO craze of 2017-2019, bitcoin has outperformed crypto by a wide margin.
  • Bitcoin’s use as a store of value is well-established, and it continues to get easier to use it as a medium of exchange, too.
  • Crypto is riskier to invest in than bitcoin because it is difficult for an investor to accurately assess the risk associated with code from a highly complex and opaque system.

Jun 7, 2024
Everybody knows that the President of the United States sets the price of gas....

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I don't know anything about ETH, but here is an example bitcoin transaction confirmed in the last block:
  • value transferred: $814,986
  • transaction fee: $2.85 (0.00035%)
  • broadcast to confirmation: 12 minutes
  • settlement: final

JackShephard

Sep 27, 2011
  • Following the ICO craze of 2017-2019, bitcoin has outperformed crypto by a wide margin.
  • Bitcoin’s use as a store of value is well-established, and it continues to get easier to use it as a medium of exchange, too.
  • Crypto is riskier to invest in than bitcoin because it is difficult for an investor to accurately assess the risk associated with code from a highly complex and opaque system.
I have BTC. I also keep ETH. The junk token is pure profit from a "game". It is tethered to ETH, so that's the only conversion available. I can convert the ETH to BTC later, but I certainly don't want to pay another crazy high gas fee. While most responses have been humorous, I have learned nothing. Thanks SPS! LOL - just a joke guys.

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
I have BTC. I also keep ETH. The junk token is pure profit from a "game". It is tethered to ETH, so that's the only conversion available. I can convert the ETH to BTC later, but I certainly don't want to pay another crazy high gas fee. While most responses have been humorous, I have learned nothing. Thanks SPS! LOL - just a joke guys.
If you find a crypto subreddit to post this on I think you’ll have better luck. Or just search there, it’s probably been discussed already.

baddmann007

Sep 26, 2023
ETH Gas prices are based on supply, demand, and network capacity at the time of the transaction. Fees may increase during periods of high transaction volumes.

Best times are weekends and at night (or both). Have you tried “off-peak” times?

Reactions: JackShephard

FreeDawg

Oct 6, 2010
Chain traffic. Generally speaking, gas is highest on ETH during regular business hours 8-5 and much lower early in the morning or at night. If you’re able to use L2s like polygon or base, and it might not be applicable in your case, it will always be cheaper.

Reactions: JackShephard

JackShephard

Sep 27, 2011
If you find a crypto subreddit to post this on I think you’ll have better luck. Or just search there, it’s probably been discussed already.
Yeah, I already got my answer. I just thought one of our resident crypto bros would enjoy explaining it.
ETH Gas prices are based on supply, demand, and network capacity at the time of the transaction. Fees may increase during periods of high transaction volumes.

Best times are weekends and at night (or both). Have you tried “off-peak” times?
Thank you. This builds on what I found. I was able to get away with about $11 in gas fees today. Still high, but my token was up 11% so it washed.