OT: Whitefish, Montana skiing in Dec

Dawgbyte

Sep 22, 2011
I know there have been several threads here about Whitefish. Family thinking about going end of December. I have read where the snow in December is unpredictable, and not all runs are open. I wouldn’t want to make the trip then not have adequate snow. Anyone been to Whitefish in December or have thoughts on how risky it might be to go end of December? Really wanted to go to Whitefish but wondering if we need to switch to CO.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
I know there have been several threads here about Whitefish. Family thinking about going end of December. I have read where the snow in December is unpredictable, and not all runs are open. I wouldn’t want to make the trip then not have adequate snow. Anyone been to Whitefish in December or have thoughts on how risky it might be to go end of December? Really wanted to go to Whitefish but wondering if we need to switch to CO.
Whitefish Mountain averages 5 feet of snow in December with snow falling over half the days of the month of December. End of December, you should be good.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Skiing is probably going to be incredible the week after Christmas this year in the Northern Rockies. The crowds will be bad though. We don't ski that week because of lift lines, but compared to Colorado Whitefish will look like Wally World when the Griswold family got there.

Dog88

Oct 8, 2023
Our family has been to Whitefish a couple of times in December and had a great time. Not all the runs were open but plenty were. I think as long as you are going in late December you should be fine.

Last year we went to Steamboat in early/mid December and it turned out okay as a bunch of new runs opened on our second day.

PK Dawg

Jul 17, 2022
Went a couple times over Christmas break in college. The skiing was always great

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login