Put Jim Ellis to pasture

trob115

Jul 5, 2011
I understand the sentimental attachment, but it is painful to damn near impossible to follow a game he’s calling. Father Time is undefeated. Jim is no exception
Agreed, and I've had to turn him off this year. It's saddens me to say, but I was hoping he'd hang them up after our national championship.

PK Dawg

Jul 17, 2022
Baseball is a hard sport to broadcast. Lots of slow time to fill. Jim may have lost a step but is still better than most. I put Jim in the same category as Jack. Spent most of my life listening to those two guys. Huge respect to both.
I’ve got nothing but respect for his career as a whole, but his best days are behind him. He needs to enjoy a retirement. He’s earned it.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I was thinking last weekend how long he has been calling games. I'm pretty sure I remember his distinctive voice calling games in the early 80s.

DecadeReb2

Jul 2, 2021
Careful what you wish for. He could be replaced by someone who screams at nothing, creates terrible nicknames for his color guy and refuses to call them by their given name, and complains about every ball or strike called. Just saying it happens.

PK Dawg

Jul 17, 2022
The guy who literally drove around calling on radio stations to create the first Bulldog baseball radio network gets to put himself out to pasture.

I don't give a **** if he's broadcasting with full blown dementia. He's my guy to the end.
Hope he puts himself to pasture soon. I’m not really a “pasture” kind of guy, per se @biodawg

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Angry Half Baked GIF

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Guys, all I’m saying is he’s gotten pretty bad at a job he used to be decent at, and should be replaced by somebody that is good at said job. It’s nothing personal
He was never decent at his job.

he was great. Then he got old and needs to retire.

Phenomenal at his job for years but needs to hang it up now.

PK Dawg

Jul 17, 2022
He was never decent at his job.

he was great. Then he got old and needs to retire.

Phenomenal at his job for years but needs to hang it up now.
He was merely decent at the time I started listening to games (early 2010s) and has steadily declined. I can’t speak to before that period but it wouldn’t surprise me if he was great prior.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
He sometimes forgets to say the score after a half inning. But, I chalk that up to ad reads, sponsors of: innings, stolen bases, homeruns, strikeouts, double-plays, foul balls, pop ups, groundouts, etc. in a short window. At times the station brings us back to the action and 2 pitches have already happened or even worse an out was recorded, but that's not on Jim.

Yes, he is not as great as he once was, but none of us are. Polk can be difficult to listen to when he's coughing, but the insight he brings is invaluable. That said, Jay helps Jim more than coach does.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Wonder how some of you guys will feel after working in your profession for 45 years and then they want to kick you to the curb and replace you with some young guy that couldn’t carry your briefcase? It didn’t happen to me, but I saw it happen a number of times. It’s not a pretty sight and almost every time the new wonder boy is pale when compared to his predecessor.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Wonder how some of you guys will feel after working in your profession for 45 years and then they want to kick you to the curb and replace you with some young guy that couldn’t carry your briefcase? It didn’t happen to me, but I saw it happen a number of times. It’s not a pretty sight and almost every time the new wonder boy is pale when compared to his predecessor.
I’d retire.
If my performance was down, I’d expect them to retire me.
Jim isn’t working bc he has to. It’s bc he wants to.
good for him for wanting to keep working but he isn’t good anymore bc of health/age.

Reactions: Mjoelner

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
I’ve listened to a game for 30 mins and had no idea what the score was. Does he forget to tell us, or does he want us to guess? It’s frustrating.
That's nothing new. If anything, I think he gives the score more often now than he did 15 to 20 years ago. I listened to a regional game at aTm years ago where I promise you he went a full 4 innings without giving the score but I learned the name of aTm's midweek starter's Div.2 coach from some North Dakota school the year before.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Matt Wyatt loves baseball. I have heard Matt on the radio a bunch. Matt could do it if he wanted to. Jim can be replaced. He should not be forced out but there does come a time when you have to realize you lost it and need to retire. However, he should be able to stay as long as he wants.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Matt Wyatt loves baseball. I have heard Matt on the radio a bunch. Matt could do it if he wanted to. Jim can be replaced. He should not be forced out but there does come a time when you have to realize you lost it and need to retire. However, he should be able to stay as long as he wants.
I disagree. At some point you have to nicely force him out if he won’t hang it up.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
It would be amusing to listen to some of these experts try to perform live play by play sports broadcasting and get everything right and remember all the little things you have to juggle while describing the action. Most of you that are pissing and moaning have no idea what you're talking about. Just like most people would probably have just as much success trying to step into your job tomorrow... It just wouldn't be broadcasted for everybody to hear.

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
Haven’t listened to Jim call a game in a couple years now. With all the games on the ESPN app I’m good with Bart and Charlie. Don’t even know what radio station to tune to if I had to.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login