Rogers - Hurt or Enhance His Draft Status?

XBLDawg

Mar 20, 2014
Seems like a good kid but come on. He throws 75 5 yard passes per game, has no foot speed or lateral movement and hasn’t seemed confident in his checks for about 5 weeks now. The NFL is not in his future

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
He did get two tds last night but I would say his play last night overall was pretty terrible. Multiple turnovers, took multiple huge loss sacks, missed a bunch of wide open guys. Not a good night from him that made the game harder to win

Last edited:
Reactions: ThreeDawgNight

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
He will be back next year. And our hope will be that he takes another step forward. That our OL takes another step forward and we have an improved vertical passing game.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Minus the fumble, he played pretty well as the leader of the team. Give Will credit, he bleeds Maroon.
Rogers had a 27 QBR last night, and if we’re to talk about an NFL QB as a 5-tool position, Rogers might possess one of them.

I love Will as a Bulldog and person, but any hope that he’s going to lead us to the promised land or morph into a pro prospect is essentially praying for a miracle

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
No Pro scout looks at last night and thinks "this is a guy we need on our team."

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
To coin a Leach Phrase, there are too many times because of Will "We look like we're playing with 9". I've never seen a football player so fragile and fumble prone at the slightest contact. Even the one caused by the ground looked weak as schit. In order to stretch the field, a QB has to be willing to take a hit at the point of release and Will doesn't have either the mental or physical ability to withstand that. He refuses to wait that extra second to do those things. All QB's have to have the ability to pick up some yds with their feet when the D gives that opportunity and Will can't or either refuses to do that or maybe Leach can't afford for him to because there's nobody else available to take snaps. I don't think NFL teams are considering him for even a back up IMO. I'm grateful for Will winning games as QB but it is what it is. With our D, just think what kinda year we woulda had if our QB was at least semi-mobile and not afraid to get hit.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Rogers had a 27 QBR last night, and if we’re to talk about an NFL QB as a 5-tool position, Rogers might possess one of them.

I love Will as a Bulldog and person, but any hope that he’s going to lead us to the promised land or morph into a pro prospect is essentially praying for a miracle

I see it differently. I see a kid who is going to lead us to the promise land. Remember this. Moses was not allowed into the promised land.

What I mean by that is he has made QBs all across the nation look at what a QB of his caliber(no matter what grade you or I give) and say "If he can do that in the SEC under Leach... I know I can."

Rogers is the backbone, the foundation of the future.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Obvious troll is obvious. Can somebody give this dude a week’s vacation?

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
I see it differently. I see a kid who is going to lead us to the promise land. Remember this. Moses was not allowed into the promised land.

What I mean by that is he has made QBs all across the nation look at what a QB of his caliber(no matter what grade you or I give) and say "If he can do that in the SEC under Leach... I know I can."

I agree with most of that. Although Rogers is more of the stepping stone than a backbone.

Reactions: Ibdancin

XBLDawg

Mar 20, 2014

U still high bruh?

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
U still high bruh?
Nothing about what I said was wrong. Without a QB that can show what can be done, recruiting is harder.

What Rogers has done was to show what can be accomplished under Leach at MSU in the SEC. He set the foundation.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007

More realistically I could see an AD saying "if Leach can make a QB out of that kid just think of what he could do here"

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Ibdancin, I like your positivity and try to agree mostly but I can't see Will taking that next step. He is simply holding that spot for Sawyer. As a student of the system Leach runs he will make a great QB coach one day. He is simply limited physically. I hope he can help prepare Sawyer to step into that leadership role. Will is the kind of guy who will help someone take his starting spot if he can. Great team mate. Great person in general

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Ibdancin, I like your positivity and try to agree mostly but I can't see Will taking that next step. He is simply holding that spot for Sawyer. As a student of the system Leach runs he will make a great QB coach one day. He is simply limited physically. I hope he can help prepare Sawyer to step into that leadership role. Will is the kind of guy who will help someone take his starting spot if he can. Great team mate. Great person in general
Oh I am not suggesting that there is another step for him to take (only time will tell). I'm saying that with out a Will type, we do get future QBs.

Let's reword it. Had Rogers been less accurate, the talking heads would be preaching the Leach system will never work in the SEC. They can't really say that now.

All I am saying is that Rogers helped lay the foundation for the future.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
I don't know how he can even be called a troll. He is a complete Homer and maybe could be called a sunshine pumper....lol. Definitely not a negative Nancy.
This board was founded on being negative when the situation called for it. It's weird to have someone who is positive all the time. I don't operate that way but more power to someone who does.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
I don't know how he can even be called a troll. He is a complete Homer and maybe could be called a sunshine pumper....lol. Definitely not a negative Nancy.
LOL.. Wait, this is about me?

Why don't you go to the game thread. Look up my posts. I was calling out Rogers for not making the right checks.

Will missed the read. That should have been checked to a run

He just inst reading the defense on the drop 8

The question is will he this game

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Going to be a helluva coach.

Would love Leach to hang on long enough to hire Will and then maybe he can become our version of Lincoln Riley one day. He would have a ton of time in the system between high school, college QB and assistant coach and his dad is a coach.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Minus the fumble, he played pretty well as the leader of the team. Give Will credit, he bleeds Maroon.
There is a possibility that will Rogers will get some kind of chance to make a NFL tea. I'm just not sure if he could handle it physically. I'm not saying he's weak it's just I don't know if he has the physical endurance that can take continual rough shots from NFL size defensive lineman. The smaller guys that make it to NFL usually figure out a way that they don't ever really take a straight shot from anybody during the tackle.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
Tanked for now. His pocket presence is terrible but it can get better. It got better within the game. He made some good plays late in the first and second halves that led to scores. If he improves that part of his game the offense will get better, otherwise they have peaked with him at the helm.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
He probably is a troll but why am I going to ban someone who talks positively about State?

Well for one because he’s starting nonsense threads to basically beg people to talk negatively about State / Rogers. The Rogers / NFL prospect discussion has been beaten to death a thousand times. And everyone knows he has no shot.

And even if none of that was true, asking if he “helped or hurt his chances” in a game where he threw an awful pick, had 3 fumbles including one at the goal line that almost cost us the game, had a QBR of 25, added 10 more yards to a sack by running directly towards his own goal post, and made half a dozen or so other bad decisions / reads is just asking for people to pile on. Rogers played a very poor football game last night, and fortunately we still won. That’s all that needs to be said today.

Last edited:
Reactions: Preacher Franklin

Grover777

Nov 1, 2022
Well for one because he’s starting nonsense threads to basically beg people to talk negatively about State / Rogers. The Rogers / NFL prospect discussion has been beaten to death a thousand times. And everyone knows he has no shot.
Correct

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022

I can buy that argument. But like the foundation, at some point you need to stop with footings and move onto the structure of the building and walls.
If we are all cool with having 4 games per season where we look completely outmatched, then by all means let’s keep starting him.

pmack3641

Aug 9, 2019

Give it a rest, geez, Will’s a good kid and a fair QB. If it wasn’t for the run game and defense last night he loses the game for us. He will not improve over what his capabilities are right now, and no definitely not a pro QB. Not picking on him just stating facts as others have posted. I seriously doubt “QBS all across the nation” are looking at Will to emulate him.

Last edited:
Reactions: msstatelp1

PapaDawg

Nov 19, 2014
I like Will Rogers. He is a great ambassador for MSU and is a better than average college quarterback.
My thoughts on Leach has always been he puts the team on the field that gives him the best chance to win. When we have a QB that gives us a better chance to win in Leach’s system than Will, the other guy will start. Until then, our best QB is starting and he is Will Rogers.
Leach is not scared of a QB competition. He brought USM’s QB in as a transfer.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
His Dad was a coach so maybe he will pursue a similar path. He might make a great coach and they make a ton of money if on a college level.

Duggar Hall Desk

Mar 2, 2008
In order to stretch the field, a QB has to be willing to take a hit at the point of release and Will doesn't have either the mental or physical ability to withstand that. He refuses to wait that extra second to do those things.

Wait. You think he should hold the ball LONGER?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login