Rolling Blackouts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tribaldawg

Sep 1, 2012
Just got a call from my wife saying the power is out at home. A minute later got a text from TVA saying they are implementing, for the first time, Step 50 of their emergency load curtailment plan and that power will be off for 30 minutes. I guess this is the new normal?

I forgot to mention we live just east of Starkville.

• Wow
Reactions: onewoof and patdog

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Just got a call from my wife saying the power is out at home. A minute later got a text from TVA saying they are implementing, for the first time, Step 50 of their emergency load curtailment plan and that power will be off for 30 minutes. I guess this is the new normal?

What's normal about today's weather?

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005

It’s near record cold. Power grid is going to get strained.

tribaldawg

Sep 1, 2012
Again, Mississippi has had negative temps before but no blackouts. Is this the part where we duck our heads in the sand and don’t wonder why we are having rolling blackouts with temps that are higher than many previous temps where we had no blackouts?

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Again, Mississippi has had negative temps before but no blackouts. Is this the part where we duck our heads in the sand and don’t wonder why we are having rolling blackouts with temps that are higher than many previous temps where we had no blackouts?
Intermittent power sources like solar and wind makes capacity feel more expensive to maintain because you get to run it and make money off of it less. Would not be surprising if tva has not added capacity to match load growth.

Blackouts can also be caused by natural gas supply issues. Coal took pressure off the grid because you had fuel on the ground and didn’t have to ramp up an on demand supply like gas. With less coal capacity out there, may be straining the gas supply.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Really? We have never had this type of weather? Were you born yesterday? It gets very close to this cold every year. We have had years with zero or negative temps but no blackouts. Maybe we can wait until somebody more knowledgeable responds if you don’t mind.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
I'm sure the utilities are rolling out "automated workers" as we speak.

Reactions: MSUGUY

tribaldawg

Sep 1, 2012
These issues are what I felt may be causing the problem. All self-inflicted. Just hoping this isn’t the new normal.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Really? We have never had this type of weather? Were you born yesterday? It gets very close to this cold every year. We have had years with zero or negative temps but no blackouts. Maybe we can wait until somebody more knowledgeable responds if you don’t mind.
Look up what the TV in TVA stands for, check the temps over the last 12 hours in that area, then get familiar with the concept of "**** rolls downhill". It's abnormal/rare for this widespread extreme cold. But if you want to upgrade the infrastructure to allow for the extremes and to prevent 15-30 minute rolling blackouts, I can point you to some politicians that will gladly take your money.

Reactions: The Maroon Pug

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Look up what the TV in TVA stands for, check the temps over the last 12 hours in that area, then get familiar with the concept of "**** rolls downhill". It's abnormal/rare for this widespread extreme cold. But if you want to upgrade the infrastructure to allow for the extremes and to prevent 15-30 minute rolling blackouts, I can point you to some politicians that will gladly take your money.
We have had temps this cold before, we have never had rolling blackouts in TVA country. It stayed in the single digits + and - for several days straight in 1989, no rolling blackouts then.

tribaldawg

Sep 1, 2012
Yep. The fact some people act like this is nothing new amazes me.

Just got another email saying blackouts are over for now but to be mindful of “non-essential power.” More and more things are becoming non-essential these days.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
Track back to last winter, around this time,

Both Entergy and Atmos called my house with recorded message, indicating that they were having shortages, and
asking everyone to cut back and conserve, or they would be forced impose blackouts.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
We have had temps this cold before, we have never had rolling blackouts in TVA country. It stayed in the single digits + and - for several days straight in 1989, no rolling blackouts then.
30 years since 'Freeze of 1989' (wapt.com)

There were blackouts and outages in 1989. Crazy talk, man. You had to go back 3 decades and the power still went out.

patdog

May 28, 2007
But if you want to upgrade the infrastructure to allow for the extremes and to prevent 15-30 minute rolling blackouts, I can point you to some politicians that will gladly take your money.
That’s kind of the whole idea of having a 1st world, reliable electrical power grid. You build it to handle days like today. We had that for decades. We’re starting to lose it, did several reasons.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
That’s kind of the whole idea of having a 1st world, reliable electrical power grid. You build it to handle days like today. We had that for decades. We’re starting to lose it, did several reasons.
Do you though? I'd prefer it bc we live in a wealthy society, but is everyone comfortable paying the rates/taxes it takes to sustain a system that would only be stressed in a once a couple decade or a generational event? And would partial scale 30 minute blackouts be an unreasonable reaction to those rare instances? Not going to bother me too much. I'm more pissed about my 6 hour outage last night bc my utility provider doesn't know how to keep limbs off their lines.

If we get to significant/lengthy blackouts that cross over from mild inconvenience to my day now sucks or compromised people are in health risks, then I'll grab my pitchfork. Frequency would also play into this. If I have to go back to 1989 to find something similar. I'm less concerned. If this is an every winter deal, I'm pissed.

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
Do you though? I'd prefer it bc we live in a wealthy society, but is everyone comfortable paying the rates/taxes it takes to sustain a system that would only be stressed in a once a couple decade or a generational event? And would partial scale 30 minute blackouts be an unreasonable reaction to those rare instances? Not going to bother me too much. I'm more pissed about my 6 hour outage last night bc my utility provider doesn't know how to keep limbs off their lines.

If we get to significant/lengthy blackouts that cross over from mild inconvenience to my day now sucks or compromised people are in health risks, then I'll grab my pitchfork. Frequency would also play into this. If I have to go back to 1989 to find something similar. I'm less concerned. If this is an every winter deal, I'm pissed.
Yea that’s true I don’t want to pay for an event that happens every 10 years or so, but I also don’t want to end up like Texas having a complete failure. I feel okay with where we are now. Just don’t want to drift too far.

Reactions: The Maroon Pug

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
30 years since 'Freeze of 1989' (wapt.com)

There were blackouts and outages in 1989. Crazy talk, man. You had to go back 3 decades and the power still went out.
I remember that one well. We lost power for 5 days (thank goodness for gas ovens, stoves, and heat). But the issue was heavy, heavy ice, not just sub-freezing temperatures. Powerlines and poles were absolutely trashed during that event.

patdog

May 28, 2007

If WHEN we get to significant/lengthy blackouts that cross over from mild inconvenience to my day now sucks or compromised people are in health risks, then I'll grab my pitchfork. Frequency would also play into this. If I have to go back to 1989 to find something similar. I'm less concerned. If this is an every winter deal, I'm pissed.
Fixed it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login