Rolling Blackouts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
i live in Rankin County, this morning at 7:30 it was 11 degrees with a wind chill of -6.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
That’s kind of the whole idea of having a 1st world, reliable electrical power grid. You build it to handle days like today. We had that for decades. We’re starting to lose it, did several reasons.
This all day. I am on board with finding alternative energy since fossil fuels are finite. But quit putting the cart before the 17’ing horse and put out some competent “green” energy that will run your grids before you go all in.

Last February here in TX, our grid was an hour or less away from being completely shut down for the entire state. All because the illegitimates in muh federal government wouldn’t approve more natural gas to get us past the crisis. Why in the 17 would natural gas mean a 17ing thing if we have plenty of it and are supposedly moving away from reliance on it??

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
53 years on earth and now we can’t figure electricity. Really is amazing. Surely has nothing to do with changing policies. Speaking of TV, turn yours off MSNBC.
Brown outs and blackouts happened well before whatever 'changing policies' you are referring to.
I hear Texas, who infamously stands on their own, had a bit of a power kerfuffle in recent years. That wasn't due to changing policies. They have a grid that exists and is delicate, like most everywhere else.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I remember that one well. We lost power for 5 days (thank goodness for gas ovens, stoves, and heat). But the issue was heavy, heavy ice, not just sub-freezing temperatures. Powerlines and poles were absolutely trashed during that event.
Different event. There was no ice in the one I'm talking about. I remember that one too. Now the Tenn-Tom did completely freeze over in the one I was talking about.

Last edited:
Reactions: dawgman42

turkish

Aug 22, 2012
That’s a pretty naive take. Just wait 5-10 years. If that long.
This is a smart take. You can be comfortable with current status and still concerned with the trajectory. Utility infrastructure requires proactive investment and thoughtful stewardship to keep it out of the ditch. As long as there is sufficient redundancy, this may be hard to see. As such, you can slip from “good-to-go” to “oh ****” quietly and quickly. Accumulation of risk is not gradual, it occurs in step changes.

Reactions: patdog

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I never got the text saying rolling blackouts were coming, but I just got one saying they’ve been canceled. Looks like y’all solved the problem. Thanks SPS

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
That’s a pretty naive take. Just wait 5-10 years. If that long.
We Are Doomed Reaction GIF

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
Build more Nuke plant and clean burning coal plant.
There will never be another coal plant built in the US - most if not all existing will be gone by 2035 if not sooner
1. EPA regulations (CA, NSR, ELG, plus potential carbon tax coming)
2. Mine mouth would be only option - rail roads see a dying business and have shifted priorities to other business
3. No bank would finance - ESG score negatively impacted

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
when people wake up late because their alarm clock didn’t go off, do they just automatically blame whatever political ideology they don’t agree with as being the cause? Because it kind of feels like that’s where we are now.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Again, Mississippi has had negative temps before but no blackouts. Is this the part where we duck our heads in the sand and don’t wonder why we are having rolling blackouts with temps that are higher than many previous temps where we had no blackouts?
I have a better one.

Why are we sending billions on top of billions over seas that evidently needs to be spent here?

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
30 years since 'Freeze of 1989' (wapt.com)

There were blackouts and outages in 1989. Crazy talk, man. You had to go back 3 decades and the power still went out.
You link didn't say that. It stated leading to widespread power and water outages. I lived that.

Here is 4 county telling you that's not the case:

https://www.facebook.com/4CountyEle...GB6os-liGw4t3MJbZXsVn762mMEFPguG&__tn__=<,P-R

4-County Electric Power Association

nsSotperodm19lffc9hglf01703cc18m92hi3f418ch0tta7f7a521ufa57l ·

TVA has instituted step 50 of their Emergency Load Curtailment plan for the first time.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
30 minutes without power and people think that is disastrous…..that is the new normal.
No, the new normal is explaining away something that's never been a problem before and attacking people who have the audacity to complain about it. Shame on them for expecting to get what they pay for.

Will there also be rolling refunds issued by the energy company? I didn't think so.
At least there ain't no more mean tweets

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Is that a joke?

We had winters my entire life and yes, this cold. Never have I been subjected to a rolling black out.
Nah. Did you have one today? Sorry for your 30 minute loss if so.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
You link didn't say that. It stated leading to widespread power and water outages. I lived that.

Here is 4 county telling you that's not the case:

https://www.facebook.com/4CountyElectric/?__cft__[0]=AZWtbFDcLt-6rCUmD-tNn5Et5FqOpzyoip0k70m_GqxTRFkMWlEe7_tur0z8D7iVcqG3zcqq4S8ShYMoZscJ9m9I-zPsrufR6-GP2KKHkXmyP9HcDmKnyRjtGB6os-liGw4t3MJbZXsVn762mMEFPguG&__tn__=<,P-R

4-County Electric Power Association

nsSotperodm19lffc9hglf01703cc18m92hi3f418ch0tta7f7a521ufa57l ·

TVA has instituted step 50 of their Emergency Load Curtailment plan for the first time.
Why not ***** about the utility poles not holding up then? Same gripe, different failure. It's cost prohibitive to use something stronger than the typical utility pole and dangling line setup. We risk the cheaper setup for possible failure during winter storms. Southern utility systems don't really set their max generation up for 4 days of single digits either. If the infrastructure manages to hold up in a dry cold event, you'll get stressed networks. Either way...the power is at risk of going out in extremes.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Nah. Did you have one today? Sorry for your 30 minute loss if so.
You can make light of this if you want. This is not normal, yet we have winters every year. We spend billions every year over seas and just passed yet another that sends billions over seas while our elderly are being told to suck it up.

That's not acceptable to me. It will never be acceptable to me.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
You can make light of this if you want. This is not normal, yet we have winters every year. We spend billions every year over seas and just passed yet another that sends billions over seas while our elderly are being told to suck it up.

Lobby for higher rates or subsidies to get more capacity.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Why not ***** about the utility poles not holding up then? Same gripe, different failure. It's cost prohibitive to use something stronger than the typical utility pole and dangling line setup. We risk the cheaper setup for possible failure during winter storms. Southern utility systems don't really set their max generation up for 4 days of single digits either. If the infrastructure manages to hold up in a dry cold event, you'll get stressed networks. Either way...the power is at risk of going out in extremes.

Again, this is nothing new to the TVA area. We have winters every year. I don't think you are going to convince people who have been around for a long time that this is ok.

It's not.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
No no. That not factual. People turning on their heat at 32 degrees is no different than turning it on at 5. It runs the same.
That's silly. More people run their heaters/blowers and for longer periods of time the colder it gets.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

You want the federal government to pay for utility improvements that will benefit society?

Reactions: OopsICroomedmypants

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
You want the federal government to pay for utility improvements that will benefit society?

I want the federal government to have an all sources policy friendly energy plan as we transition towards green energy.

Only naive useful idiots or power hungry elite sociopaths think we can go from fossil fuel to green overnight.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Your president championed a 1.7 trillion dollar "infrastructure " bill a couple of years ago that was supposed to do precisely that.

Too many folks don't want to be confronted with facts like that, though, because it makes them realize they wasted their vote.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Your president championed a 1.7 trillion dollar "infrastructure " bill a couple of years ago that was supposed to do precisely that.

Too many folks don't want to be confronted with facts like that, though, because it makes them realize they wasted their vote.
Were they supposed to burn the bills as fuel to generate the electricity today? I get being skeptical but geez wait at least a couple years to **** on this aspect.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Were they supposed to burn the bills as fuel to generate the electricity today? I get being skeptical but geez wait at least a couple years to **** on this aspect.
So, what is the appropriate amount of time to wait for the government to begin improving the infrastructure they requested and already received money for? You're telling me that after they wasted it all on earmarks and Covid handouts, it's still too soon?

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
So, what is the appropriate amount of time to wait for the government to begin improving the infrastructure they requested and already received money for? You're telling me that after they wasted it all on earmarks and Covid handouts, it's still too soon?
How long does it take to plan, approve, and build a natural gas plant that will result in a net increase to the system. That's a good starting point.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
We've had continuous power all day, and are pretty much in the heart of TVA country. The rolling blackouts must not have affected the entire TVA system.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
How long does it take to plan, approve, and build a natural gas plant that will result in a net increase to the system. That's a good starting point.
I hate to be the one to break this to you, but that money is long gone and all you have to show for it is 10% inflation.

Also, there is no Santa Claus.

Reactions: Fang1 and WilCoDawg

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
We've had continuous power all day, and are pretty much in the heart of TVA country. The rolling blackouts must not have affected the entire TVA system.
They were going to, till TVA decided they weren't needed. Ours never went out, but locally it had started to happen here in NE Mississippi.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
I hate to be the one to break this to you, but that money is long gone and all you have to show for it is 10% inflation.

Also, there is no Santa Claus.
Your position is all infrastructure funds have been allocated and spent? Ehhhhh. That's not how this works. It wasn't a stimulus bill. It'll take the better part of a decade, if not more, to churn through that.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Aren’t Cumberland and Bull Run coal plants?
Yes. Bull Run is going to be decommissioned. Pretty sure TVA is building a handful more gas plants to increase capacity. Biggest source is nuclear by a good bit. Then gas, coal, and hydro.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Your position is all infrastructure funds have been allocated and spent? Ehhhhh. That's not how this works. It wasn't a stimulus bill. It'll take the better part of a decade, if not more, to churn through that.
"It wasn't a stimulus bill"

I would strongly suggest you go back and educate yourself on what was in that bill before commenting further. The whole thing was a fraud perpetuated on an uneducated American public. It was an infrastructure bill in name only.

The truth will set you free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login