Saban lays out UF struggles

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
Does this sound familiar? @NateBauer

"And sometimes the fanbase can just think ‘Well we can show up and expect to win.’ And not make the commitment to the program that you need to make to be able to continue to make the changes and investments you need to make to keep up with changing times."

Reactions: LB99 and step.eng69

step.eng69

Oct 12, 2021

"And sometimes the fanbase can just think ‘Well we can show up and expect to win.’ And not make the commitment to the program that you need to make to be able to continue to make the changes and investments you need to make to keep up with changing times."

Always like Saint Nick, all the way back to his term at Mich St U.
I'm sure he'd still be coaching if it weren't for the Wild West Show currently happening.

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
Always like Saint Nick, all the way back to his term at Mich St U.
I'm sure he'd still be coaching if it weren't for the Wild West Show currently happening.
It was his own personal Wild West Show for many years then things got evened up and he bailed. I do like him though. One of the best ever, if not the best.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021

Saban quit because he didn’t want to keep up with the times. Kinda funny.

Reactions: Psu00 and PSUJam

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Saban quit because he didn’t want to keep up with the times. Kinda funny.
He’s 72 with nothing left to prove. I don’t blame him. Begging 18 year olds and bargaining cash with them and their families, then schmoozing donors to give even more to pay the players sounds awful. Then in your free time, you game plan, which seems like an afterthought for a head coach in today's game. Then at the end of the season, you have to beg your own players to stay and figure out a way to get them more money so they don’t leave. Sounds awful.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
He’s 72 with nothing left to prove. I don’t blame him. Begging 18 year olds and bargaining cash with them and their families, then schmoozing donors to give even more to pay the players sounds awful. Then in your free time, you game plan, which seems like an afterthought for a head coach in today's game. Then at the end of the season, you have to beg your own players to stay and figure out a way to get them more money so they don’t leave. Sounds awful.

He liked it when he could give out Dodge Chargers and pay players without getting caught; once everyone could do it he bails. It does suck being a HC now but the playing field is level.

Reactions: LionJim and PSUJam

BiochemPSU

Oct 30, 2021
He liked it when he could give out Dodge Chargers and pay players without getting caught; once everyone could do it he bails. It does suck being a HC now but the playing field is level.
Exactly. Dont call Nick Saban about playing on a level field or with an inferior product that he has to actually coach up a team. He doesn’t want any part of that. He ran out of the NFL and the dolphins as fast as he could because that actually was a level playing field that he couldn’t manipulate. Never looked back either.

Reactions: Midnighter

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Exactly. Dont call Nick Saban about playing on a level field or with an inferior product that he has to actually coach up a team. He doesn’t want any part of that. He ran out of the NFL and the dolphins as fast as he could because that actually was a level playing field that he couldn’t manipulate. Never looked back either.
It bothers me when people say Saban was the greatest college coach of all time. One would think that the greatest college coach of all time would do a passable job in the NFL.

NittanyBuff

Oct 30, 2021
It bothers me when people say Saban was the greatest college coach of all time. One would think that the greatest college coach of all time would do a passable job in the NFL.
Not sure why you are bothered by it, he is by most everyone's account the Goat and I'm sure had to stuck it out in the NFL he figures it out.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
He also left when the playing field got leveled though.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Not sure why you are bothered by it, he is by most everyone's account the Goat and I'm sure had to stuck it out in the NFL he figures it out.
Probably because, like Jimmy Johnson, he won his championships with the best players available. How good a coach do you have to be to win with players with that level of talent? Why are we to assume that Saban was a better coach than, say, Don James, who just about everyone thought was a superb coach?

Also, I guess I should admit that I got a stick up my *** about how Alabama players were, imo, on the take.

Reactions: Midnighter

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Probably because, like Jimmy Johnson, he won his championships with the best players available. How good a coach do you have to be to win with players with that level of talent? Why are we to assume that Saban was a better coach than, say, Don James, who just about everyone thought was a superb coach?

Also, I guess I should admit that I got a stick up my *** about how Alabama players were, imo, on the take.

Just look at Bama’s recruiting class rankings for Saban’s entire tenure - by year two he’s top five and doesn’t do much worse than 1 or 2 the rest of his career. Then add in over recruiting and processing. It’s like having the fastest car on the track and everyone being shocked that you’re winning all the time.

• Haha
Reactions: LionJim

Latest posts