Smoker Pellets

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
What’s the packs favorite? My masterbuilt gravity crapped out, so I just bought a small pit boss for the time being. We’re about to break ground on a house, and I’ll be giving my pit boss to my mother and buying a counter-depth rec tec.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Buy Cooking Pellets Perfect Mix if you can find them at Home Depot. Otherwise they are too expensive to ship. My local HD use to carry them and now they don't. Not sure what the deal it.

I don't hate the Traeger brand pellets. Their Pecan pellets make a damn good rib or butt.

EDIT: Looks like Cooking Pellets is now on Amazon with Prime shipping. $40 for a 40 lbs bag. That's a solid price.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
My favorite is the recteq pellets. I buy them on Amazon. I like cookinpellets also. Right now I’m using B&B because I can buy them locally for half the price of recteq and cookinpellets.

Last edited:

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
I watch Rural King for their pellet sale every couple of weeks and stock up. It was by far the cheapest but it looks like they've changed brands recently. I really liked their competition blend.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
My current bag came from WalMart and are Pit Boss and they make everything taste like burned paper rather than real wood smoke, so skip those.......

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Got a 20lb bag of b&b cherry. 40lb of competition was only $5 more but I didn’t want 40lb if I didn’t like it.

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
Buy Cooking Pellets Perfect Mix if you can find them at Home Depot. Otherwise they are too expensive to ship. My local HD use to carry them and now they don't. Not sure what the deal it.

I don't hate the Traeger brand pellets. Their Pecan pellets make a damn good rib or butt.

EDIT: Looks like Cooking Pellets is now on Amazon with Prime shipping. $40 for a 40 lbs bag. That's a solid price.

I've been using Cooking Pellets for a couple of years now and haven't found anything better. I got a bag of Perfect Mix last week from Home Depot. Ordered on their site and they were delivered to the house for free.

revereno

Jun 17, 2014
Lumberjack Competition Blend or Royal Oak Charcoal Pellets. Blended or sometimes just 100% Royal Oak.

Rebeldude

Aug 22, 2012
The Royal Oak Charcoal pellet blended with whatever wood pellet you like is a game changer. I have also done 100% Charcoal on quick cooks with great results. It give's you that real fire grill flavor that is missing from a pellet smoker.

I have used Bear Mountain and Cooking Pellets as well as the Pit Boss Competition Blend, but Cooking Pellets Perfect Mix is probably my favorite. I've read good stuff on the Lumberjack and Knotty Wood (made from Almond wood), but have not tried either.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I've been trying to find the charcoal pellets for awhile now, but no local stores carry them, so my only options involved paying crazy shipping costs. I just decided to take another look after seeing this and sure enough, Home Depot has them $2 off plus free shipping, so I ordered a couple bags.

I think I may do a BBQ meatloaf next weekend with them

Chris Mannix

Dec 29, 2016
Not sure the name but use the ones Grills of Mississippi sells. Blend their peach and cherry and use it for literally everything. Never had a problem always gets to temp and holds in every smoker I have had with my current being a Yoder 640ys. Plus buy 3 bags and the 4th is free. I will tell the truth I also love going in there just to try new rubs or injections as well.

LittleBigDog

Aug 25, 2012
^^^This^^^ BBQ's Delight are execeptional. I like Champion's Mix but change it up frequently. Burn much cleaner than anything else I have ever used. I like less cleanup. Maintain temperature very well. That's a plus!

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login