So Chad Bumphis was ready and willing to come to State...

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
but we promote from within?? Get out of here.

"Source: Mississippi State is promoting quality control assistant Drew Hollingshead to inside WR coach. Hollingshead has spent the last six seasons on Leach's staff. He replaces Dave Nichol, who former Leach assistant Lincoln Riley hired away to USC last month."

[TWEET]1488204477689741316[/TWEET]

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
Getting killed on the recruiting trail. Getting killed in the portal. Getting killed in the NIL world. Fans willing to hand the job to Rogers for 2-3 more years uncontested. It's the MSU way. Lazy fans, lazy admin, lazy coaches. Be careful, we don't want to make the media mad at us!!! Sigh

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Getting killed on the recruiting trail. Getting killed in the portal. Getting killed in the NIL world. Fans willing to hand the job to Rogers for 2-3 more years uncontested. It's the MSU way. Lazy fans, lazy admin, lazy coaches. Be careful, we don't want to make the media mad at us!!! Sigh

I don't know of any fans willing to hand Rogers or anybody else a job. And they don't matter anyway. Leach opens every job, every year. But it's you, so you wouldn't know.

msugolf

Dec 29, 2008
Not only that but we offered him a different position outside of his specialty…RB coach. Which was like a slap in the face to him. Hollingshead was always the guy they were hiring, even though he’s never coached WRs and who knows what his recruiting is like.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
As long as D. Hollingshead coaches and recruits..

…at an elite level like nobody in MSU history this will be a non-issue.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
He wasn't offered the IWR job - that was the deal breaker. It was either RB and move Mele to IWR or OWR and move Spurrier. I assume it was the former. Or something along those lines. Bottom line, Bump was offered an on-field position with a raise in pay but he wanted to coach receivers (likely iwr specifically).

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2009

"Source: Mississippi State is promoting quality control assistant Drew Hollingshead to inside WR coach. Hollingshead has spent the last six seasons on Leach's staff. He replaces Dave Nichol, who former Leach assistant Lincoln Riley hired away to USC last month."

Huge blunder...Bump should have been hired.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Why is it a mistake?

Taking nothing away from Bumphis, he seems to be doing fine at Utah. But looking at it objectively, there are 3 things worth noting:

1) Utah was 84th nationally in passing offense last year. That doesn’t mean Bumphis doesn’t know what he’s doing, but it does mean that he’s not exactly coming from a system that is turnkey compatible with the Air Raid.

2) Quickly perused Utah’s top 10 signees for 2022 (for a class that is not even in the Top 35). Bumphis isn’t listed as the primary or secondary recruiter for any of them.

3) Even if he was the best recruiter in the world, it just doesn’t matter anymore. Assistant coach recruiting chops never did matter as much as anyone thought it did, anyway. But in the current NIL climate, it is pretty much entirely irrelevant unless you are just a complete *******. Hiring Bump would in no way just make all the DK Metcalfs, AJ Browns, Elijah Moores, etc start rolling in here.

We will be fine at WR position coaching for the entirety of Leach’s tenure….I assure you. Fit and chemistry between the head coach and his assistants is important, and I’ll trust the judgment of a guy who had Steve Spurrier’s kid and a guy who was just poached by a Top 5 program as his staff from last year. This is just more of the Joe Judge / Mark Hudspeth syndrome where folks just want to hire a household name and hope we hit the lottery with someone who they think would never leave.

Last edited:

Dawg_4_lifes

Sep 17, 2016
How is this a mistake? I could be wrong, but I really do not see this as a bad move. The guy has been in the system for 6 years and probably knows this system well. He understands how Leach's practices are ran, the terminology, what is expected of an on-field coach etc..... Maybe he has been groomed for this position and is 100% ready.

The fan in me wants Bump to be a WR coach, Smoot as the head of crootin (think house boat party!!), boobie as RB coach etc..... But that just may not be the way.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Mixed feelings.

Bumphis certainly would have been a solid hire and is all MSU. Probably would have recruited very well for us. On the other hand, Hollingshead has been with Leach and the Air Raid for quite some time. Look at Leach's tree - hard to argue he can't spot a good coach, especially if he's been around the guy for years. I get that it's not a press conference winner or the fan favorite, but the guy is going to know the system as well as anyone else out there.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
The fan in me wants Bump to be a WR coach, Smoot as the head of crootin (think house boat party!!), boobie as RB coach etc..... But that just may not be the way.

I feel ya on that as a fan, but if I'm really thinking about it... has a program ever been a nationally prominent winner with an 'all-alumnus' team on the coaching staff?

That's a real question, by the way. I don't know the answer. There could be programs out there with the 'hire the alumnus' mentality, but I feel like the vast majority of winning programs have diverse alumni memberships on their coaching staffs.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Bumphis was at: Iowa Wesleyan 2016
Buffalo Grad Asst 2017
Utah Grad Asst 2018
Austin Peay 2019 and 2020
Utah 2021
That's 4 offenses at 5 stops in 6 years and 2 of those years as a grad asst. Nothing about that says he's ready to be an SEC receivers coach, much less in the Air Raid. That leaves the fact that he is home grown, that's it.

Drew Hollingshead was w/ Leach the past 6 seasons in the Air Raid. "Hollingshead has had the opportunity to work with incredibly talented athletes, including Air Raid quarterbacks Luke Faulk, Gardner Minshew II and Anthony Gordon. He will undoubtedly be a great leader for the Bulldogs' talented group of wide receivers"

I think it was the right call.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Leach has as good a history of coaching hires as any coach out there. I’d wait and see before tightening the noose

Aug 22, 2012
This is a tough decision

Trust Mike Leach who's been running his system forever and knows what he needs out of that spot

OR

Believe the message board heroes with no track record who are convinced this is a mistake based entirely on nostalgia for a former player

tough call indeed.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
He wasn't offered the IWR job - that was the deal breaker. It was either RB and move Mele to IWR or OWR and move Spurrier. I assume it was the former. Or something along those lines. Bottom line, Bump was offered an on-field position with a raise in pay but he wanted to coach receivers (likely iwr specifically).

If that is true and Bumphis turned it down that is shocking. Unless he just didn't feel qualified to coach RBs and didn't want to hurt his reputation by taking on a job that he wasn't prepared for and didn't have an obvious on staff mentor for.

I'm with several others here. I would love for Bumphis to be back, but I'm not going to be upset with how Leach coaches (or hires coaches for) QB or WR. Whatever complaints people might have for Leach and his lack of adjustment or inexplicable losses or whatever, it doesn't seem like the performance of his QB or WRs over time can be one of the legit complaints about him.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Do we really need 2 WR coaches? It seems like that spot was tailor made for a recruiter. Especially one with MS ties.

Sep 9, 2012
Some very odd staffing moves from what I can tell.

Promote from within at inside WR when we have a proven P5 coach that fits MSU perfectly and is willing to come.

Move the RB coach to special teams coach- which may be a good move considering how bad our STs were in 2021.

Then we moved our safeties coach over to coach RBs. WTF?

Junction John

Oct 22, 2014
It looks like there's a number of posters who want to kick Leach in the nuts for hiring within... but also want to auto-hire Novak as the girls coach.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
It looks like there's a number of posters who want to kick Leach in the nuts for hiring within... but also want to auto-hire Novak as the girls coach.

It looks like all the people arguing for Novak are largely basing that decision on not wanting to spend money on anything else because it's women's basketball, so I don't think either position on the IWR coach selection is inconsistent with that position.

Hellsyeah

May 22, 2013
83% of the people on this board will be upset with every hire, of every position, of every sport, regardless of qualification. It's just what they do

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014

Did you expect anything else? Leach hires his guys.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010

You either Trust Leach or you don't. I personally will take his word on who he decides to hire for a position coach over anyone on this message board.

One could argue that we are better off with a guy that has been coaching in the air raid for 6 years and is from Texas than Bumphis who has never coached in the air raid and is from MS. Sure, Bumphis may could out recruit him in MS but he couldn't touch him in Texas and there is a lot more talent in Texas for WR's than in MS. Especially polished ones that can come in and run the air raid almost immediately. Then, this is "OUR" State. We should still be able to get our share of MS recruits no matter who is the coach.

I have no idea if this is a good hire or not but I trust the guy making these calls. There is no proof that Bumphis even understands what the air raid concepts are, Drew has been coaching it for 6 years. I know we all love Bumphis. He has a good thing going in UTAH but that does not mean he can coach this system well.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I mean at Utah he is coach New Years 6 bowls. At state he wouldn't probably be coaching liberty bowl

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
I'm of the mindset that when you hire a leader, let him/her lead and make his/her own personnel decsions until he/she proves that they are incapable of doing so.

This is a non-issue so far

MedDawg

Apr 24, 2009
Per 247, Bumphis is credited with signing three players at Utah, all wide receivers rated .86xx. State has SEVEN receivers rated higher than that currently on the roster and two more signed in this class.

We need Bump to improve our recruiting? I mean, I'd like to have him but our need to get him is way overblown.

In 20+ years in the board, I have never heard so many complaints and whining about position coaches before the season has even started.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I want harmony in the coaches office. I am not talking the dating site.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login