Some proper perspective Franklin haters....

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Based on the disparagement of CJF and his record in "big games" it ought to be easy to list 300 better coaches. I am asking for only three. Piece of cake for the Franklin haters.

Better coaches is easy - better coaches we can hire? Not as easy. Guys I would risk it for? Kyle Whittingham, Brian Hartline, Garrett Riley, Kliff
Kingsbury, Manny Diaz….

Reactions: PSU_Lions_84

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021

No Way Friday GIF

Reactions: LB99 and BobPSU92

PSU_Lions_84

Jul 2, 2022
Better coaches is easy - better coaches we can hire? Not as easy. Guys I would risk it for? Kyle Whittingham, Brian Hartline, Garrett Riley, Kliff
Kingsbury, Manny Diaz….

Thanks for listing some folks, Midnighter. I see you've included a couple guys who've previously flamed out as HC's: Kingsbury, Diaz, et al. Not dismissing them but am suggesting they are not a lead pipe cinch to outperform James.

Reactions: Midnighter

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Thanks for listing some folks, Midnighter. I see you've included a couple guys who've previously flamed out as HC's: Kingsbury, Diaz, et al. Not dismissing them but am suggesting they are not a lead pipe cinch to outperform James.

Absolutelu true. I’d much rather get someone on the rise - like Hartline or Riley - they tend to either hit gold or crash and burn early. Franklin had a program ‘rebuild’ the first few years and there is no doubt he is an elite program builder and CEO. He’s a top recruiter. He is not a good game day coach. To date the OC has not changed our offensive performance and we have had what - four or five of them? Moorhead a notable exception for having the best offense and offensive personnel in Franklin’s tenure. Even then it was tackle for loss for -5 or Barkley busts a 65 yarder or McSorley hits Gesicki for a TD.

Some coaches are good but need a do-over. Saban got one and look how he ended up. Franklin may need a new one too.

Last edited:

PSU_Lions_84

Jul 2, 2022
Absolutelu true. I’d much rather get someone on the rise - like Hartline or Riley - they tend to either hit gold or crash and burn early. Franklin had a program ‘rebuild’ the first few years and there is no doubt he is an elite program builder and CEO. He is not a good game day coach. To date the OC has not changed our offensive performance and we have had what - four or five of them? Moorhead a notable exception for having the best offense and offensive personnel in Franklin’s tenure. Even then it was tackle for loss for -5 or Barkley busts a 65 yarder or McSorley hits Gesicki for a TD.

Some coaches are good but need a do-over. Saban got one and look how he ended up. Franklin may need a new one too.

Of the list, I'd give Riley a chance. Man seems to strike gold wherever he is, and the cupboard at Penn State is pretty well-stocked except for maybe WR, and we're seeing some better recruiting success there (finally).

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Of the list, I'd give Riley a chance. Man seems to strike gold wherever he is, and the cupboard at Penn State is pretty well-stocked except for maybe WR, and we're seeing some better recruiting success there (finally).

Kotelnicki (sp?) might be the guy to do it this year but as noted, WR is iffy at best.

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
Based on the disparagement of CJF and his record in "big games" it ought to be easy to list 300 better coaches. I am asking for only three. Piece of cake for the Franklin haters.
Just because some think Franklin is underperforming, especially in big games, does not make them a "hater". I think he is, but I no longer have a dog in the hunt. Many here do, and they spend thousands of dollars a season for Nittany Lion Club donations, tickets, lodging.... They have a right to complain if they feel the product they are getting is not worth their time or money, but that right does not carry with it the responsibility of fixing the problem. That is why we have an Athletic Director. That said, I absolutely guarantee you that I can find a coach that will do better than Franklin in big games. However, that information comes at a price. Kraft averages 1.3 million a year. If you want me to do his job, give me half that and I will share my knowledge. If I am wrong, and my choice is a disaster, I will seek election to the Board of Trustees where errors in judgment are to be expected.;)

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Just because some think Franklin is underperforming, especially in big games, does not make them a "hater". I think he is, but I no longer have a dog in the hunt. Many here do, and they spend thousands of dollars a season for Nittany Lion Club donations, tickets, lodging.... They have a right to complain if they feel the product they are getting is not worth their time or money, but that right does not carry with it the responsibility of fixing the problem. That is why we have an Athletic Director. That said, I absolutely guarantee you that I can find a coach that will do better than Franklin in big games. However, that information comes at a price. Kraft averages 1.3 million a year. If you want me to do his job, give me half that and I will share my knowledge. If I am wrong, and my choice is a disaster, I will seek election to the Board of Trustees where errors in judgment are to be expected.

Franklin is like notre dame — You either love him or hate him. Given that he is like notre dame, we hate him. Pretty simple, really.

• Haha
Reactions: PSU_Lions_84

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
Franklin is like notre dame — You either love him or hate him. Given that he is like notre dame, we hate him. Pretty simple, really.
Bob. That is why I enjoy your posts. You have a way of explaining things in a way that even a simpleton like me can understand. Many thanks.

PSU_Lions_84

Jul 2, 2022
Guys, I appreciate ya! Going off-line as we have to change hotels here in Montana, then start our drive back to North Carolina tomorrow.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021

Yeah, I don’t hate Franklin. I, like fairgambit, would still like to win some big football games. Once and if that silly desire dies, I won’t care who the coach is either.

Last edited:
Reactions: PSUAVLNC

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021
Just because some think Franklin is underperforming, especially in big games, does not make them a "hater". I think he is, but I no longer have a dog in the hunt. Many here do, and they spend thousands of dollars a season for Nittany Lion Club donations, tickets, lodging.... They have a right to complain if they feel the product they are getting is not worth their time or money, but that right does not carry with it the responsibility of fixing the problem. That is why we have an Athletic Director. That said, I absolutely guarantee you that I can find a coach that will do better than Franklin in big games. However, that information comes at a price. Kraft averages 1.3 million a year. If you want me to do his job, give me half that and I will share my knowledge. If I am wrong, and my choice is a disaster, I will seek election to the Board of Trustees where errors in judgment are to be expected.;)

What makes them "haters" is the constant criticism of anything he does and the constant dismissal of anything positive he's done. They also don't spend diddly on PSU. We're on a board with these haters so we also have a right to complain about their complaining. For a guy who doesn't have a dog in the hunt, you sure do spend a lot of time training these dogs, getting into your camo outfit, hauling out to the hunting grounds, and then telling us that you're no longer hunting.

Pennst8

Oct 25, 2021
Is he perfect, no, but he's much better than the haters will ever give him credit for. Here's what I know, he's represented this program on and off the field in a manner consistent with the Success with Honor mantra and that's all I ask. He has been everything Joe was minus the MNCs but Joe didn't have them in his first 10 years here either.

Guys like the poster in the clip don't deserve Coach Franklin.
Agree completely. Franklin haters are an odd/whiny lot and usually not the type people I hang with.

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
What makes them "haters" is the constant criticism of anything he does and the constant dismissal of anything positive he's done. They also don't spend diddly on PSU. We're on a board with these haters so we also have a right to complain about their complaining. For a guy who doesn't have a dog in the hunt, you sure do spend a lot of time training these dogs, getting into your camo outfit, hauling out to the hunting grounds, and then telling us that you're no longer hunting.
As you say, "the right to complain about their complaining ". And so, dog in the hunt or not, I will complain about those who complain about those who complain. Now, I have some camo to put on....or take off... or something.

By the way, there is a little known codicil in the Penn State Constitution (ius queri) that gives those who have had a dog in the hunt for more than 37 years to complain about all things Penn State ad infinitum and ad nauseum. And so I shall.

beautiful-girl-on-camouflage-outfit-260nw-174511334.jpg

Last edited:

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Or that they are so designated by others. I'm sure I'm on a number of lists, but going back over the years I would estimate the number of critical post I've made to fewer than 25. That works out to about two a year. If that qualifies as "constant," I suggest the purchase of more mattresses.

Now, when it comes to Ms. Excellence, I will step forward front and center as a "hater." As it turns out, the "haters" were right.

laKavosiey-st lion

Oct 30, 2021
What makes them "haters" is the constant criticism of anything he does and the constant dismissal of anything positive he's done. They also don't spend diddly on PSU. We're on a board with these haters so we also have a right to complain about their complaining. For a guy who doesn't have a dog in the hunt, you sure do spend a lot of time training these dogs, getting into your camo outfit, hauling out to the hunting grounds, and then telling us that you're no longer hunting and I’m ok with 8-4.
Again fify

Moogy

Nov 23, 2021
As you say, "the right to complain about their complaining ". And so, dog in the hunt or not, I will complain about those who complain about those who complain. Now, I have some camo to put on....or take off... or something.

By the way, there is a little known codicil in the Penn State Constitution (ius queri) that gives those who have had a dog in the hunt for more than 37 years to complain about all things Penn State ad infinitum and ad nauseum. And so I shall.

View attachment 601118

And then I have a right to complain about the complaining about the complaining about the complaining. And stuff. So why bring that up?

Again, if it were just some folks saying he underperforms in big games, as you suggested ... that'd be one thing. But that's not what's happening. It's just constant whining about just about everything Franklin does ... reciting over and over again that he must go, and twisting everything he does in the light most negative.

I'm considered a defender of Franklin, but I think he underperforms in big games. So that isn't the dividing line here. It's the extremism ... similar to when marshall chimes in regarding any coaching criticism with variants of his "do you even coach, brah?" retorts. Or when anything positive is discussed regarding PSU's academics and the usual suspects rush in to make sure we bash it properly. Or one of any number of other topics where it's just nonsensical extremism.

Last edited:

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021

View attachment 601118
Don't mind Moogy. It's that time of month. 💁‍♀️

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
And then I have a right to complain about the complaining about the complaining about the complaining. And stuff. So why bring that up?

Again, if it were just some folks saying he underperforms in big games, as you suggested ... that'd be one thing. But that's not what's happening. It's just constant whining about just about everything Franklin does ... reciting over and over again that he must go, and twisting everything he does in the light most negative.

I'm considered a defender of Franklin, but I think he underperforms in big games. So that isn't the dividing line here. It's the extremism ... similar to when marshall chimes in regarding any coaching criticism with variants of his "do you even coach, brah?" retorts. Or when anything positive about is discussed regarding PSU's academics and the usual suspects rush in to make sure we bash it properly. Or one of any number of other topics where it's just nonsensical extremism.
I disagree, but will leave it at that.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Nothing worse than folks that spam the board daily with the same crap and then claim they are the victims when they get called out on it. Self awareness must go away around 12am I guess.

today hypocrisy GIF

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021

I'm considered a defender of Franklin, but I think he underperforms in big games. So that isn't the dividing line here. It's the extremism ... similar to when marshall chimes in regarding any coaching criticism with variants of his "do you even coach, brah?" retorts. Or when anything positive about is discussed regarding PSU's academics and the usual suspects rush in to make sure we bash it properly. Or one of any number of other topics where it's just nonsensical extremism.
Yep. Nobody here was starting threads daily proclaiming JF in irreplaceable or elite, but a former decent poster spams the board daily with same opinions and then cries foul if people aren’t joining his pity party.

Cry Mocking GIF by First We Feast

BW Lion

Oct 14, 2021
Offer three replacements who are GUARANTEED to do better. Don't BS this question. Straight up - give us names of coaches who will 100% do better than Franklin. We'll wait . . .
I need a bit more time to finalize my vote, but here are the first two:

1) Lance Leipold (what he could do with the PSU Football Inc budget would be amazing)

2) Matt Rhule (PSU had their opportunity to hire him, but that ship has sailed. PSU hosts Nebraska in 2025. Don't be surprised if the Huskers come to Beaver Stadium and play some physical old-style PSU football and beat PSU)

3) 🤷‍♀️

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
I need a bit more time to finalize my vote, but here are the first two:

1) Lance Leipold (what he could do with the PSU Football Inc budget would be amazing)

2) Matt Rhule (PSU had their opportunity to hire him, but that ship has sailed. PSU hosts Nebraska in 2025. Don't be surprised if the Huskers come to Beaver Stadium and play some physical old-style PSU football and beat PSU)

3) 🤷‍♀️
So we don't really want an elite coach, got it. Rhule....LMAO, any ties to Joe will work I guess. People complain about not being elite and want a guy who had his arse handed to him in the NFL where the talent is a bit more equal. So we'll just talk about being elite or winning big games, but we still won't list "elite" coaches, maybe because people finally realized PSU isn't a top 5 job so they want to settle. I mean talk about a low bar for people complaining PSU isn't winning enough big games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nitt1300

Latest posts