South Endzone Expansion Renderings...

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishwater99

Jun 4, 2007
This is probably just a first draft.
All the hotel rooms need balconies, unless it's some type a liability.

YardBarker

Feb 10, 2013
Not impressed with the building design or connectivity. Hopefully this is early stages because it needs a lot of refinement. I think the concept is interesting but they need to keep working on it.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Honestly.. that's woefully under-built... needs major changes....

That's drawn with less than 100 rooms. Unless there is a parking issue that limits it to that, there should be double that number. That hotel will stay booked year round at up to 200 rooms.

And the use of space in front of the hotel between the end zone is ill conceived. Somebody needs to use more imagination... Think of what it could be instead of what it is. You don't need a bunch of lawn space inside the stadium. Move the building closer to the field and put some actual chairback seating in for club sections.

The arched breezeway at concourse level is nice looking.. but man that's some valuable real estate that could be put into the hotel lobby instead of chopping it into two sections.

And why not put usable space on the roof? It's working out pretty well for The Left Field Lofts.. I don't care if you have to relocate elevator shafts and stairwells.

The rooms need balconies. Give those people something extra on game days. Let them have french doors that open and a small walk out.. or even continuous, shared balconies... something like in New Orleans. Keep the doors locked on all other days if you want. That will make the exterior more interesting too.. instead of looking like an ordinary downtown hotel.

The entire building needs to be redesigned.

View attachment 12646

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
To you, Ser...

ChatGPT

Apr 24, 2006
Big fan of horse shoe stadiums in college.

This is close to something I would have liked to see. And close counts.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Whats with all the rooms / windows? Agree it looks like a hotel or a building used for classrooms. Are those supposed to be condos like the LF Lofts? You'd think they'd have balconies to sit out & watch the game.

I like the look from the junction, but from the inside it just looks like an awfully big building but not sure what 75% of it's supposed to be used for.

Edit: So from reading other posts I guess it is a hotel. Still seems like you'd have some kind of outdoor seating connected to those rooms.

Last edited:

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
I’m not necessarily requesting more seating. How about just some connectivity? Maybe just a nice concourse to stand and watch the game? They have that on the other side, right? Put in standing tables to eat and drink from. They could make it a kids’ zone type area. Maybe it could be large enough for a bouncy house for parents to go entertain the kids while they watch the game. Maybe they could connect the sides and slant it and cover with turf for a fake berm. I don’t know, I’m just a poor old pig farmer.

AzzurriDawg4

Nov 11, 2007
It's fantastic. So many people on here thinking about seating and bowling in, that is what is getting so many other stadiums in trouble. Stadiums now are going for less seats and better experience, more premium areas. Just look at the Warriors new dome - ultra premium, reduced seating. Worst thing you can do is build something that always looks empty. Keep it reasonable, keep it packed.

As for the design, it's a hotel, I can't imagine it looking right "connected" to the stadium. I just dont think incorporating traditional seating would ever look right. I actually love the terraces on the inside. The open concept on the second level connecting the stadium to the Junction is brilliant - can you imagine GameDay set up on that Junction facing terrace? With the players doing the walkthrough right below them.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
I think most people simply hope it'll look like a piece of a stadium that is actually a hotel.. instead of a hotel that happens to sit inside a stadium.

Like the Lofts.. how crappy would they look if they didn't have balconies?

Make it so on game day that endzone feels like it covered up with people even though it's just a few on each level standing/sitting outside.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
I really like the rooftop idea. If we can’t compete with being the largest crowd, we can at least compete with being the greatest atmosphere and experience. This would help in having a cool and unique venue.

I also agree with having balconies on the rooms. That’s a missed opportunity if I’ve ever seen one.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
you are missing where people are saying you can bowl it with seating and not increase seating capacity by hardly any at all if you go back through the lower bowl and replace the bleachers with chairbacks except for the student section. I don't think many people are disagreeing with you on expanding seating too much. Who knows, bowling it in and adding chair backs might entice more people to buy up more season tickets rather than decrease. that makes for better experience having gone to other stadiums that have this. there are ways to do this that doesn't look like they just built a nicer larger M Club.

fishwater99

Jun 4, 2007
If this actually happens how soon will The Bears try to add a hotel to their stadium? The Penis envy will be in full effect.

deadheaddawg

Sep 3, 2012
I hate to complain about getting nice things, and it does look nice, but I wish they would do something with the press box area first. It looks so awful. The whole middle section is terrible

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
i also think this is the angle we should go for unique for sure. hotel can still be done, make it fit in to the stadium. rooftop bar. balconies for the rooms if allowed. chair back seating underneath as part of the bowl. tie in to the rest of the lower stadium. Chair back the lower bowl. Maybe put some tiered lounge seating in the corners on the south above the bowl to help tie it in above the bowl with grilling areas. we can certainly go nicer and more unique.

Bulldogg31

Dec 9, 2013
Cool idea. I’d put balconies on both sides of the building so people in those rooms could stand out and watch the junction for when SEC Nation or GameDay come to campus, as well as on the stadium side for the games.

Also, it would be cool to “re-face” Dorman Hall to match, sort of like Lee Hall and Allen Hall.

AzzurriDawg4

Nov 11, 2007
I personally don't like the idea of balconies in this setting. I just can't see it. It is one of those things that sounds like a good idea - I am just not sure it can be executed well. It's a different deal from Dudy Noble. Last thing I want to see is some d-bag standing out on his balcony in his shower robe and crocs at DWS, and you run that risk because the barrier to entry here will likely be far less than that for LFL. Small balconies with inconsistent groups of people in their Wal Mart folding chairs just wouldnt work here IMO.

I think that everyone wanting "more" from the inside of the structure don't realize that adding "more" would just make it less of a fit with the rest of the stadium.

You want a bowl instead of a horseshoe? Fine, that's a fair take. If it's going to be a hotel though (which I think is a great idea), I believe you are getting into a mess of a design trying to make it traditional seating AND a hotel. It's one or the other.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Parking is the first thing I thought of-- presumably there would be two ground level lots on either side of that lower arch... how many spaces would that be?

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
I'm not sure $1,500/game is a low barrier of entry.. and I figure that's what a room +tickets for a game weekend will run you.

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
that is what is getting so many other stadiums in trouble. Stadiums now are going for less seats and better experience, more premium areas.

The open concept on the second level connecting the stadium to the Junction is brilliant - can you imagine GameDay set up on that Junction facing terrace? With the players doing the walkthrough right below them.

I agree. Awesome idea for the south endzone. Like the way it connects the stadium to the junction. My only critique is to add balconies for the rooms like the left field lofts

As for additional future seating, I assume the NEZ structure was build to hold an expansion of the scoreboard club to the east and west. (Talk about looking unfinished) Or add another level of suites. Also the west quarter and upper decks could be removed and rebuit With something that reaches to the back of each endzone.

HotMop

May 8, 2006
They could fill in those empty areas to the sides of the building with some berms for overflow seating.

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
Let's go ahead and wrap that building around to join up with the stadium, add some seats at the bottom, and expand those terraces around to connect with the stadium. Maybe add more porches and terraces.I think we have the right idea here, but it's not where we need to be yet.

It just looks too small in comparison with the rest of the stadium.

Arthur2478

Oct 17, 2010
This is an endzone facility Troy completed last year:

I'd prefer if we had something more like this (with premium seating and connecting to both sides of the stadium) with a hotel on top.
Pardon my poor PhotoShop skills:

Last edited:

philduckworth

Feb 20, 2015
Capacity at DWS should forever be capped at 65K. Honestly a packed house of 60K is probably best. You want it to be a tough ticket. As for the expansion, I agree with the majority that it needs to be closed in somehow.

Aug 20, 2006
id prefer to have seats right on the ground like one of Auburns endzones. That **** is intemidating for an opposing team.

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
I'm in the same boat. B+ from the outside, C inside.

Find a way to connect it to the sides, even if only for aesthetics.

Count me in the minority for the additional club level at the bottom, though...I don't think we have the demand.
If you add seats at the bottom in place of the rendered walk out areas, I think they would have to be low cost....maybe some amenities, but not over $500 PSL per seat.

Balconies per room are needed, as is the party deck.
Also, definite no to the exposed structure on the back of the video board.

Extra detail: the bottom of the new video board needs to match the old one in height. It's already difficult to see the current one from some portions of the 200s (and maybe the 100s).

Dawgpile

May 23, 2006
My humble solution to the 'connectivity' issue is to create a mezzanine level at the same height as the concourse on the West side and eventually the East. That would give you two great entryways to the stadium and 360* flow around the stadium.

Please excuse the crudity of my photoshop; MS paint is the best I've got...

View attachment 12648

View attachment 12649

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
that's kind of what I was saying they need to do. That's a better concept. maybe add in some tiered lounges in the corners beneath the mezzanine level. Then chairback the rest of the lower bowl.

shotgunDawg

Nov 13, 2011
This is an endzone facility Troy completed last year:

I'd prefer if we had something more like this (with premium seating and connecting to both sides of the stadium) with a hotel on top.
Pardon my poor PhotoShop skills:

This is more like it. Good job. This design makes much more sense

TheStateUofMS

Dec 26, 2009
Couldn't we just add a small bowl/enclosure of seats at the bottom? It looks like it's built up high enough you could add like 20 rows.

Nothing looks worse than a stadium having tons of large swaths of empty seats. We do not need to bowl it in now, but need to be able to bowl it in the future, and it looks like there could be a small lower bowl added.

I like having a big building there to lock in the noise even more though.

Overall I give it a 7.5/10

1msucub

Oct 3, 2004

If you haven't been around long enough to have thought THIS expansion was the greatest thing ever, your opinion is gibberish to me.

#WhoKnewYouCouldPlayGamesAtTimesOtherThan1pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login