Tesla dealership opening in Brandon...

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
[FONT="]Tesla announces grand opening of first Mississippi dealership https://t.co/MNIclarNF0— WJTV 12 News (@WJTV) July 14, 2022 [/FONT]

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
It's interesting that this dealership will be located in one of UMMC's now-defunct, former gym properties that Johnny Black offloaded. I think the property changed hands once before Musk's outfit bought it.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Tesla solar powerwall only $13K. Average American spends $5K on gas/year so in year 3 you are in the black.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
It's interesting that this dealership will be located in one of UMMC's now-defunct, former gym properties that Johnny Black offloaded. I think the property changed hands once before Musk's outfit bought it.

The state bailed him out on that deal. Shad should investigate UMC "buying out" those locations.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
As long as you charge the power wall exclusively with solar power, it is eligible for 26% tax credit. So it ends up only costing $9.6K

EdwardDrayton

Jul 1, 2022
RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel.

I think one of those Tesla things will fit in the glove box, you know, for emergencies?

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
I got a BMW i4 a few weeks ago. I may very well have been the first person in Mississippi to get one. I much prefer the look of mine to a Tesla and it feels much more luxurious. But there are advantages of a Tesla. One is the charging network, but they are opening it up to all EVs this year so that's going away.

For me, I drive so much my payment of my new car is only about $200 more than my operating cost of just driving my 2006 Honda Accord, so yeah, it was a great move. I would have had to spend about $500 in gas so far and my calculations based on my price per KwH and the amount of electricity I've used is right about $80. No brainer for me.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Good luck with that. I'm cautiously pessimistic of first generation products. It's been my experience that the first generation of products always has several bugs to work out before it's ready for primetime.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I got a BMW i4 a few weeks ago. I may very well have been the first person in Mississippi to get one. I much prefer the look of mine to a Tesla and it feels much more luxurious. But there are advantages of a Tesla. One is the charging network, but they are opening it up to all EVs this year so that's going away.

For me, I drive so much my payment of my new car is only about $200 more than my operating cost of just driving my 2006 Honda Accord, so yeah, it was a great move. I would have had to spend about $500 in gas so far and my calculations based on my price per KwH and the amount of electricity I've used is right about $80. No brainer for me.

I know nothing about german vehicles (I'm a honda/toyota) man, but isn't their reputation for reliability poor? The joke I've always heard is, "don't buy a german car unless you can afford a mechanic to ride around with you."

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Overall they are pretty reliable. Problem is when you do need something, you need to sell your other trailer home.

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
That's certainly the reputation, but keep in mind electric vehicles require less maintenance because there are less parts. No oil changes, no transmission fluid because there is no transmission

I'm a Honda guy too. Drove 2 for a total of 25 years and close to 600,000 miles. But after driving electric, I never want to go back to a gas car if I don't have to.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Be sure you read the manual and familiarize your passengers with the 17 step process for opening the doors or windows in the event of a power failure.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Good luck with that. I'm cautiously pessimistic of first generation products. It's been my experience that the first generation of products always has several bugs to work out before it's ready for primetime.

At what point is the 1st generation of EVs considered over for you?

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
When each manufacturer makes their 2nd gen product. They don't all get to copy from Tesla ya know, which is well past it's first gen

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
When each manufacturer makes their 2nd gen product. They don't all get to copy from Tesla ya know, which is well past it's first gen

Reply fail on my part. I see now that you were referring specifically to the BMW.

PhredPhantom

Mar 3, 2008
The closest charging station to me is 19 miles away…

I have a Tesla Model S P100D. I live in Noxubee County, MS and the closest supercharger to me is in Meridian, 50 miles away - but I do most of my charging at home.

For the driving I do, it works out great for me. I almost never drive more than 200 miles per day unless I’m going on a trip somewhere like I did last month to Pigeon Forge, TN, and Tesla’s supercharger network is great for times like that. An added bonus is that my car is a 2017 year model which was the last year that included free supercharging for the life of the vehicle, so my cost for travel was Zero.

They’re not for everybody but I’ve owned all kinds of vehicles in my life including 4WD pickups, Corvettes, and various other “regular” cars and, for me and my type of driving, this is the best vehicle I’ve ever owned.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Been riding in teslas all week here in California. Cramped. One girl told me it takes her about 25 dollars to do a full charge at a non peak time. It will go around 220 miles. She also renting it for her Uber at 300 a week! Still cheaper than the double gas prices she was paying a month ago on a gas car. Peak time charging is double cost charging snd it takes about 40 min for a full charge.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Thats just factoring in the cost of the powerwall. Doesn't account for the additional cost of the car as well.

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014

So far, and I've only owned it a few weeks now, it's given me zero issues. And everyone that has been in it has been very impressed.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
BMW will make a nice car. A lot rides on their brand name And I'm sure the interior is better and it does look better than a Tesla. Tesla has some neat features on it's tablet like interface but it's more of a function over form company.

I think BMW is being cautious on promoting their EV for now. And I'm sure they are tracking any issues closely. Hopefully they did all their homework and all their testing. It's not easy.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
I would imagine when it's no longer a 1st generation model. ;)

As far as EV's go I don't plan to buy one anytime soon. If I were to buy one now I think the Cadillac Lyriq is a good looking one. I can see buying one when I'm no longer driving out of town or no more than a 200 mile radius. I'm an old guy so that may only be 10 years away. Hopefully bugs will be mostly gone by then and I'm still alive.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
That should be interesting in January and February when we seldom see the sun

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I may very well have been the first person in Mississippi to get one

Which probably means that no technicians in MS have ever seen one either?

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
The good news is with competition and time the average price of these vehicles will drop as well and that's when it really makes sense to consider buying one. The reliability will also go up significantly.

DirtyDog

Aug 24, 2012
Maroon Eagle; said:
[FONT="]Tesla announces grand opening of first Mississippi dealership https://t.co/MNIclarNF0— WJTV 12 News (@WJTV) July 14, 2022 [/FONT]

If y'all aren't aware, MDOT is under a mandate to install a new network of EV charging stations around the state. They conducted a survey to assess whether to install them at traditional gas stations, stand-alone lots, or as part of hotels/food chains etc. The ability to charge your EV in Mississippi will be radically different by 2024. I don't own an EV, but they will become normal by 2025 as U.S. automakers all move to their "2nd Gen" EV designs. The Federal government has put so many incentives out there, that automakers are forced to accelerate development. In addition, new Federal matching fund grants are moving state agencies along to develop the infrastructure network to support them.

https://mdot.ms.gov/portal/electric_vehicle_charging_infrastructure

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
Until I see 10-12 year old EVs with 200k miles, the original battery packs, and a grid that can charge tens of thousands of these damn things day or night, we’re still 1st gen and I’m on the sidelines.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login