The big Mstate outside the stadium might be replaced...

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
Devils advocate. I can’t keep New Mexico and New Mexico State straight. If the latter went by just State I think I could.

But at the end of the day I think people either know us or don’t. OM has made it more complicated with their bevy of names. I think very few ever thought the banner was a good logo. Pretty much any logo decision LT made was bad.

Interesting that you should use that example. NM State has a script logo that looks a lot like ours- I don’t know if it’s new or a throwback but I’ve only seen it relatively recently.

Attachments

• IMG_2723.jpeg
    IMG_2723.jpeg
    384.5 KB · Views: 14

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
Banner is the official logo of the university and that is not changing. This is all about athletic stuff. Some of those logos can vary (like baseball, with abundant tradition), but when in doubt, why do it? Especially with a crappier logo that no one wants?
Well I'll stop you right there. Ridiculous to say that no one wants the script &tate. It has more support from the fanbase than the banner M without any question.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Pretty much any logo decision LT made was bad.
The decision on the current branding and logos was made after Larry Templeton retired.

The current logos were put into place by Greg Byrne after consulting with a national marketing firm.

Reactions: Motodawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Well I'll stop you right there. Ridiculous to say that no one wants the script &tate. It has more support from the fanbase than the banner M without any question.
I think you're wrong on that. And you conveniently ignored the first 75% of my post.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
The decision on the current branding and logos was made after Larry Templeton retired.

The current logos were put into place by Greg Byrne after consulting with a national marketing firm.
Yeah but the Banner M started with LT. Thats the only reason it even made that cut.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

Almost. The old banner M-State was on the football field and basketball court back in the late 90s. But yes, Byrne is the one who spearheaded the overall change to it, in everything. A lot of time, effort and money was put into that, and it represents the most successful athletic era of our history. That emblem is the most recognizable we've EVER had, without question.

And now, we have people that want to throw it away, and start over (LIKE WE HAVE ALWAYS DONE IN OUR HISTORY EXCEPT BASEBALL - shocking that baseball is the pride of our university, right?). We don't learn. What we've always done doesn't work.

Last edited:

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I think any logo, MS, MSU (1980s) and MState are better than just a &tate logo. Because of branding.

Everyone already knows us as "State" in the SEC and regionally. You gain nothing with a "State" only logo. When Mississippi State University markets, they are marketing to those that don't know us, nationally.

The MState logo incorporates what any logo needs and most other schools use currently. A power logo, the M is a power logo. The banner State incorporates our nickname and what should endear most fans.

If I was AD for the day, if so many are truly unhappy with the "Banner M". I would go with the Flying M, M, less the arrow. Then incorporate a block font State across the M. (Yes similar to the Banner M, banner removed and different font M).

OR go to the 1980s MSU (MSJ). However tweak it to look more MSU. The nike MSU is to skinny of a font for me.

Or the baseball, MS. However tweak it to look more North Carolina's NC on their helmet. Bigger, bolder with a curvature to give it personality.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Yeah but the Banner M started with LT. Thats the only reason it even made that cut.
Byrne had every opportunity to throw it in the trash and come up with a totally new logo. He did not. The marketing firm did not.

The current logos are most synonymous with Mullen, Dak, Schaeffer and winning. But I realize that doesn't help the narrative to remove the Banner M. So Hadad and people like that, mislead the fan base by saying Banner M equals LT and Croom but fail to mention Final Fours and the positives.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Ironically enough, that helmet is a one-off throwback for Michigan State, who has in the last couple of decades staked their claim in branding as "MSU". So MSU is not exactly original or unique.
yeah that was kinda the point of my wording.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I think any logo, MS, MSU (1980s) and MState are better than just a &tate logo. Because of branding.

Everyone already knows us as "State" in the SEC and regionally. You gain nothing with a "State" only logo. When Mississippi State University markets, they are marketing to those that don't know us, nationally.

The MState logo incorporates what any logo needs and most other schools use currently. A power logo, the M is a power logo. The banner State incorporates our nickname and what should endear most fans.

If I was AD for the day, if so many are truly unhappy with the "Banner M". I would go with the Flying M, M, less the arrow. Then incorporate a block font State across the M. (Yes similar to the Banner M, banner removed and different font M).

OR go to the 1980s MSU (MSJ). However tweak it to look more MSU. The nike MSU is to skinny of a font for me.

Or the baseball, MS. However tweak it to look more North Carolina's NC on their helmet. Bigger, bolder with a curvature to give it personality.
MSJ was an emblem of our success during the 90s, and the MState was an emblem of our success in the 2010s. I guess &tate will get its due in the 2030s when we finally have success again, based on our history.

I really, REALLY don't understand why we can't just leave the M-State at midfield and on the stadium, and use the MSJ on the helmets. I don't understand why this is so hard. Why the script State? Use it in baseball and on polo shirts, hoodies, whatever. It's a baseball logo.

MSJ was there during 1980, and there during the 90s, and nobody would complain about it. I agree on the Nike one, I like the older one too. This isn't hard. M-State is still retained as the big, official university logo, that is on the field and facilities. Football team as the MSJ on the helmet. Basketball team does whatever they want, I suppose. Baseball team has M over S and &tate.

Everybody wins.

Again - NO REASON TO MAKE &TATE AN OFFICIAL LOGO.

Last edited:

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
Devils advocate. I can’t keep New Mexico and New Mexico State straight. If the latter went by just State I think I could.

New Mexico State’s primary color is Crimson. If you see a guy walking down the Las Vegas strip in Crimson/Maroonish colored “State” shirt do say Hail State, Go Aggies (NMSU) or give him a FSU Tomahawk Chop?

Lawdawg.sixpack

Jul 22, 2012
Almost. The old banner M-State was on the football field and basketball court back in the late 90s. But yes, Byrne is the one who spearheaded the overall change to it, in everything. A lot of time, effort and money was put into that, and it represents the most successful athletic era of our history. That emblem is the most recognizable we've EVER had, without question.

And now, we have people that want to throw it away, and start over (LIKE WE HAVE ALWAYS DONE IN OUR HISTORY EXCEPT BASEBALL - shocking that baseball is the pride of our university, right?). We don't learn. What we've always done doesn't work.
True story. In the mid 2000s, when we made the switch to Russell for all sports, the deal included the banner M-State for everything (note Croom helmets and uniforms). As part of the deal, Templeton told Polk that the baseball hats would have the banner M-State. Polk said "hell no they won't." Templeton responded "well, Russell is paying us $500k just for baseball, so if you can come up with that money yourself, then you can keep the M-over-S." Polk made 10 phone calls, raised the $500k for baseball, and (thankfully) kept the baseball hats. That's how we ended up with god-awful baseball uniforms (check the banner on the sleeve below) but kept the M-over-S.

Thank you, Polk II.

1702493895364.png

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
There’s like 49 other “State” teams in the US.
We're not competing against most of those (and there's many more 49).

"State" universities we are competing against in big time CFB (P5). NC State, Oklahoma State, Arizona State, Kanas State and Michigan State (no one refers to Penn State, LSU or FSU simply as "State"). I think NC State and K State are common for two of those schools, rather than simply "State."

We have nothing in common with most of those schools.

Across the SEC, we're commonly referred to as "State." I do believe the "Hail State" campaign has contributed to that.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
True story. In the mid 2000s, when we made the switch to Russell for all sports, the deal included the banner M-State for everything (note Croom helmets and uniforms). As part of the deal, Templeton told Polk that the baseball hats would have the banner M-State. Polk said "hell no they won't." Templeton responded "well, Russell is paying us $500k just for baseball, so if you can come up with that money yourself, then you can keep the M-over-S." Polk made 10 phone calls, raised the $500k for baseball, and (thankfully) kept the baseball hats. That's how we ended up with god-awful baseball uniforms (check the banner on the sleeve below) but kept the M-over-S.

Thank you, Polk II.

View attachment 477249
Indeed. Interesting story, that's one good thing to come out of Polk 2, because any other coach might would have let that slide.

I do think we've learned some things since then, I mean Adidas came in and didn't make us do things like that. And not to mention the 'blocked' banner M-State looks much better now.

Baseball uniforms, at many schools, are notorious for having different logos and lettering. Look at LSU, South Carolina, Texas, Arkansas.

Reactions: bulldoghair

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I really, REALLY don't understand why we can't just leave the M-State at midfield and on the stadium, and use the MSJ on the helmets. I don't understand why this is so hard. Why the script State? Use it in baseball and on polo shirts, hoodies, whatever. It's a baseball logo.

Everybody wins.

Again - NO REASON TO MAKE &TATE AN OFFICIAL LOGO.

I dnk who this Twitter guy is but I'll drive by tonight and see what's up. I still think MState will be the main logo and &tate is secondary. However it is concerning IF they start physically removing items such as huge sign. Also I still think Selmon is just trying to sell merchandise and give some fans a bone with a new look.

But I agree. It makes zero sense to go all in on this particular logo.

Reactions: bulldoghair

We Men

Oct 24, 2018
Keep the banner M. If you change it, am I supposed to throw away all my t-shirts, pull overs, jackets, and wind breakers with banner M logo? Don’t think so.

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
I just don’t understand what the change is for. Was there a problem selling merch with banner M?

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
I think you're wrong on that. And you conveniently ignored the first 75% of my post.
I didn't conveniently ignore it. Your question is "why do it?" The answer is because people don't want the banner as the athletic logo and the script &tate is our other option that doesn't muddy the State vs MSU branding.

And it doesn't matter what the university logo is because many schools use a different logo for athletics.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
He's not even remotely close to wrong. The fans want our damn interlocking MSU, but the school leaders suck, so we settle for Script STATE and block Mississippi State. But are better than the academic M.

Reactions: StateCollege

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
just State. Not M-state or MSU. For the record I think the big banner M on the side of the stadium looks great and I doubt the &tatr logo will look as good. I still think the banner M looks like **** on helmets
The banner M looks like **** everywhere. Always has

jxndawg

Dec 26, 2009
I'm not a fan of it either, it looks exactly like what it is, old and tired from the 90's.

That said there is a lot of it out there right now though. I had to go to several local Starkville outlets this weekend for gifts and I saw it in quantities everywhere. It's either left overs from the big push for it during the 25th recognition or the outlets have ordered heavily for Christmas
Glad I’m not the only one who doesn’t like the interlocking MSU. To me it looks more like the 80s than the 90s.

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
The State script goes back to at least 1961. Other than just the classic block lettering of "STATE", there is no other MSU logo that goes back that far. Like it or not, it's not just some newfangled design.

View attachment 477256
Again, it’s a baseball logo. Football is a more masculine sport…thus, STATE serves way better. Besides, the baseball already has an everyday strong masculine logo that they get to wear on their hats.

Last edited:

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
He's not even remotely close to wrong. The fans want our damn interlocking MSU, but the school leaders suck, so we settle for Script STATE and block Mississippi State. But are better than the academic M.
What fans? The majority of keyboard fans? I honestly would be interested in in a more overall representative fan poll. Not saying you’re wrong, but that I would truly be interested in the results if done fairly. I would guess that you are wrong though.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
What fans? The majority of keyboard fans? I honestly would be interested in in a more overall representative fan poll. Not saying you’re wrong, but that I would truly be interested in the results if done fairly. I would guess that you are wrong though.
The ones not 60+ and still living in Larry Templeton's world.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Frustrated Head GIF

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login