This again

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Are you feeling ok?

As much as I'm in favor of a new HC, I don't know that I want the ensuing chaos that comes with a search, lost recruits, etc. If we were in the postion of Florida, yeah, need to make a move - fast. But, the HC talent out there is scarce - all the good ones have jobs for the most part (Meyer ain't going back). Florida wants an established winner who will excite their base; they need to win now. We're in the 'need to beat our best opponents' phase which means we're winning, just not against the top teams. With the new 12 team playoff, maybe our luck changes. We'll see. Again, I'd do more money, but not more years.

Last edited:

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
I talk to Gator fans all the time. A few big donors. They are all in on Kiffin, and they want no part of CJF.
Agree. Franklin is not on UFs radar and this is typical of what passes for sports "journalism" these days.

TiogaLion

Oct 31, 2021
As much as I'm in favor of a new HC, I don't know that I want the ensuing chaos that comes with a search, lost recruits, etc. If we were in the postion of Florida, yeah, need to make a move - fast. But, the HC talent out there is scarce - all the good ones have jobs for the most part (Meyer ain't going back). Florida wants an established winner who will excite their base; they need to win now. We're in the 'need to beat our best opponents' phase which means we're winning, just not against the top teams. With the new 12 team playoff, maybe our luck changes. We'll see. Again, I'd do more money, but not more years.
Well, the last two times this happened Franklin let it play out thus causing all the same chaos such as lost recruits, etc. and didn't even do us the favor of leaving. Had he silenced the critics immediately, none of that would have taken place. Each episode was at least a two-year setback.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Well, the last two times this happened Franklin let it play out thus causing all the same chaos such as lost recruits, etc. and didn't even do us the favor of leaving. Had he silenced the critics immediately, none of that would have taken place. Each episode was at least a two-year setback.
When and which recruits did PSU lose over it? Please, tell us how it was a two year set back?

Last edited:

Marshall2323

Aug 7, 2024
Yes because no coach has ever denied interest in another job and within days flew the proverbial coup.

Reactions: LB99

Marshall2323

Aug 7, 2024
Agree. Franklin is not on UFs radar and this is typical of what passes for sports "journalism" these days.
Funny that folks are so intent on finding blame with James that they profess that every mention of him and another school is "evidence" of either his or his agent's master plan. I personally hope he leaves and PSU hires a Narduzzi....God bless him...no one ever floats his name. This is what WE DESERVE.

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
Funny that folks are so intent on finding blame with James that they profess that every mention of him and another school is "evidence" of either his or his agent's master plan. I personally hope he leaves and PSU hires a Narduzzi....God bless him...no one ever floats his name. This is what WE DESERVE.

That's not a negative about CJF, it's just a statement of my observation living in Florida and knowing a ton of UF fans, alums, and boosters. Nobody here is mentioning him. I didn't mention his "agent's master plan", his coaching abilities, or really anything related to him personally.

You keep that CJF obsession rolling though, coach.

Reactions: Ironman2

LBUfanatic

Nov 1, 2021
Please, talk up Franklin and maybe, just maybe they'll change their minds.
Ok. So, who would you get to replace Franklin with PSU’s resources, legacy issues and already committed costs for keeping up with the Jones’ in terms of stadium, facilities, etc.?

ApexLion

Nov 1, 2021
Ok. So, who would you get to replace Franklin with PSU’s resources, legacy issues and already committed costs for keeping up with the Jones’ in terms of stadium, facilities, etc.?
These are many less expensive candidates on this board, duh.

• Haha

Marshall2323

Aug 7, 2024
That's not a negative about CJF, it's just a statement of my observation living in Florida and knowing a ton of UF fans, alums, and boosters. Nobody here is mentioning him. I didn't mention his "agent's master plan", his coaching abilities, or really anything related to him personally.

You keep that CJF obsession rolling though, coach.
My obsession is with the unrealistic expectations of fanboys. I'm not worried about James. He's independently wealthy and his family is set for generations. I actually look forward to greeting a new coach....who undoubtedly will be what WE DESERVE.

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
My obsession is with the unrealistic expectations of fanboys. I'm not worried about James. He's independently wealthy and his family is set for generations. I actually look forward to greeting a new coach....who undoubtedly will be what WE DESERVE.
So in the post that you responded to, exactly what were my "expectations of CJF?"

Your obsession trumps your reading comprehension.

Reactions: Ironman2

L.A.Lion

Oct 28, 2021
Isn’t the play Franklin to the swamp and kiffin to Happy Valley?
Inside word is Franklin will be forced out to make room for Saban, who is desperate to prove he can win a natty in the Big 10. Franklin then returns to East Stroudsburg.

Vegas odds are currently 3:2 that he retires after leading the Warriors to a brilliant second place finish in the PSAC and gets a hot dog cart named after him, but the cart can operate only in Stroudsburg because an East Stroudsburg city ordinance bans street vending.

Reactions: BobPSU92

Marshall2323

Aug 7, 2024
So in the post that you responded to, exactly what were my "expectations of CJF?"

Your obsession trumps your reading comprehension.
In my post I believe I referenced "folks." If I felt your post specifically, was indicitive of unrealistic expectations expectations, I would have worded my statement to reflect that. If my reading comprehension is faulty, I can live with that. If it irritates you, the site has an ignore button.

Marshall2323

Aug 7, 2024
Until NIL money matches the big boys, PSU Football fortunes are as good as they are gonna be. Most years 10-20, with a smattering of finishes above or below.

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
Until NIL money matches the big boys, PSU Football fortunes are as good as they are gonna be. Most years 10-20, with a smattering of finishes above or below.
yep, and who the coach is will make little difference

keep writing those checks, suckers

• Sad
Reactions: BobPSU92

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Let me preface this with I like Matt Rhule, but….if you’re looking to turn a program around and put them in a position to compete for a conference championship, you can’t lose to Illinois. This also just proves that Colorado is a bad team.

Georgia Peach

Oct 28, 2021
Let me preface this with I like Matt Rhule, but….if you’re looking to turn a program around and put them in a position to compete for a conference championship, you can’t lose to Illinois. This also just proves that Colorado is a bad team.
I think Rhule has an awful record against ranked teams.

NittanyBuff

Oct 30, 2021
At this point I think you do what you can to keep Franklin through the end of his contract. I wouldn’t extend but would maybe bump the salary to be more in-line with peers; consider Mark Stoops and Eli Drinkwitz make more than Franklin. With the 10mm+/yr salary becoming more common, Franklin is a bargain at $8mm/yr. And while I’m ready for a change at HC, continuity at this time is critical IMO to stabilizing the program and positioning it for success in the future.

I do think he’s going to be mentioned a lot this year - there aren’t a lot of guys known for program building these days but there are a lot of mercenaries. Franklin and Rhule are in good spots - not sure Florida is an upgrade but you never know.
Not giving Franklin another fing penny, PSU been burned over BS like this before, go, stay, whatever, PSU will find another coach that can lose big games routinely for far less.

Marshall2323

Aug 7, 2024
yep, and who the coach is will make little difference

keep writing those checks, suckers
It is my opinion that coaching does make a difference. However, also IMO, the HC game day impact is overblown and a very small percentage of the responsibilities in today's Power 4 conferences. Recruiting and retention alone must be overwhelming.

NittanyBuff

Oct 30, 2021
It is my opinion that coaching does make a difference. However, also IMO, the HC game day impact is overblown and a very small percentage of the responsibilities in today's Power 4 conferences. Recruiting and retention alone must be overwhelming.
Agreed, I think JF is a solid CEO and damn good recruiter, still don't think he is a difference maker on the sideline on game day. I love the OC hire and hated losing Diaz (another great hire) but bringing in another solid defensive guy with head coaching ties was more than adequate imho.

Reactions: Marshall2323

Ludd

Oct 12, 2021
Wait until we play OSU and a couple other top 25 teams. The same talking heads will be calculating his losses vs. the top teams.

Here’s a tip for them, in order to win a championship, you have to eventually beat good teams.
Some more than others.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
You are correct, but try telling that to the fan club on here. This was published in July 2023:

View attachment 654245
The thing is most coaches have similar records against teams they are underdogs to or ranked....Neb was favored by 7.5 last night at home though. Even so that will happen to good coaches from time to time. Rhule is a good coach IMO though, but these talking points are for folks who cannot really look around and see the whole picture. Very few coaches are punching up and winning more than they aren't.....but it makes for good soundbites for narrow minded fans IMO.

Last edited:

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
The thing is most coaches have similar records against teams they are underdogs too or ranked....Neb was favored by 7.5 last night at home though. Even so that will happen to good coaches from time to time. Rhule is a good coach IMO though, but these talking points are for folks who cannot really look around and see the whole picture. Very few coaches are punching up and winning more than they aren't.....but it makes for good soundbites for narrow minded fans IMO.
Agree 100%

Reactions: LaJollaCreek