This can’t be good for JSU recruiting...

Status
Not open for further replies.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Gonna affect the poor ignorant people who keep voting for the problems more than it does jsu

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Not good for any of us. It'd be best for the capital city to be known for more than just homicides.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
Gonna affect the poor ignorant people who keep voting for the problems more than it does jsu

The bigger issue is voter apathy. In a city of a little more than 154k people and 75% of that voting age, Lumumba won last year's election with a little more than 13k votes . There was less than 20k votes cast total.

Unfortunately, the slate of candidates each cycle look like a Who's Who of high school least likely to succeeds. The people competent enough to make positive changes are smart enough to not throw their hat in the ring.

I don't know this will ever happen but it would not bother me to see the state take over the city for a limited amount of time to get some of the infrastructure issues resolved.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
A friend who’s an attorney thinks a large chunk of the blame goes to the Landowners Protection Act from three years ago. Out of state apartment owners need to be responsible for having security instead of having immunity.

Link: Here.

(Yeah, yeah, I know it’s from the Clarion-Ledger site but it’s an AP article)

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Hey now. Let’s not try to solve all of Jackson’s problems in one thread. **

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
Security ? Isn't that why your tax money goes to pay police and provide all that fine equipment for them ??

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
If Jackson's "courts" did as good a job as their police their violent crime problems wouldn't be half of what they are now.

bully12

Sep 2, 2012
You must be too young to remember Washington DC in the eighties.

Are you paying attention to Washington DC NOW?? It's just as bad if not worse now. Maybe not capital murders, but overall crime is horrendous!!

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
And those landlords are largely out of state corporations.

And I’m more than a bit surprised that my friend said this because he might be more conservative than you.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I lived in Jackson for 19 years, up until 6 years ago. Tell your friend the problem started much longer than 3 years ago

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Yeah.....that's not the problem.

But hey, they aren't solving the problem anytime soon, so if they can do some things to make the crime numbers look better (thus not scaring most people away), that's fine I guess.

natchezdawg

Oct 4, 2009
The root cause of all this is pretty simple and can be summed up...

with only three letters....

LBJ

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Oh. He knows the problem didn’t start three years ago. He lived in and practices in Jackson.

The increase in the homicide rate since the act was passed though is telling.

View attachment 23484

That chart is from this article from CNN: Link

I don’t know if I’d agree with him but it’s something to consider though.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Are you kidding? How many of these murders and violent crimes are happening in apartment complexes? Some for sure, but that's not the problem in Jackson. Steel Curtain is right. It's the 17ing voters. This is what they want, and so this is what we all get.

Do the out of state apartment owners elect the mayor? The council? The board of supervisors? The judges? The prosecutor?

Last edited:

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
I would gladly donate an extra $2500 per year toward more prisons.

It’s only going to get worse with the increased restrictions on abortion…..see Chicago

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
It does make one think that other cities are suppressing murders somehow.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
Back in August, one of the news stations broke down the numbers on homicides based on wards. At that time, 72% of the city's homicides were committed in 3 of the 7 wards. Those wards are represented by Kenneth Stokes, Virgi Lindsay and Vernon Hartley.

Those wards represent areas around the city such as by the Jackson Zoo, Fondren, Belhaven, Medgar Evers Blvd all the way to South Jackson.

The answers to solve the city's problems are numerous and will require a collective effort from the community to law enforcement to the mayor's office to solve. The current administration seems to be more interested in holding press conferences for the Jatran buses new paint scheme or parking meters that actually work than to address the major issues affecting everyone.

The voters will have to get to a point of being sick and tired of being sick and tired for any substantive change to take place.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
WLBT reports that Jackson had the highest per capita murder rate in 2021 of any city in the U.S.

https://www.wlbt.com/2022/01/01/analysis-jacksons-rate-killings-per-capita-ranks-highest-us/

It's not just murders in Jackson that have gone insane. It's just crime in general. I own a statewide and southeast regional technology service company, and last fall, we doubled our rates for call outs and work orders inside the city limits of Jackson. We are having to send two techs. One to watch the truck and tools, and another to do the work. Other service companies are doing the same. It's just gotten very lawless feeling. And the asinine no chase policy the mayor made the police implement is just not smart. And yes, this actually started with Roosevelt's New Deal. Then LBJ kicked it into high gear. I'm afraid the next three years won't do much to stop enabling the behavior we see now. Sad. Jackson used to be such an awesome city. In fairness, we've had to do the same thing for work orders in Memphis, Birmingham, Mobile, and NOLA. But Jackson just feels like they've given up.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
My friend wasn’t kidding at all and as I mentioned later in the thread I don’t think I’d agree with him either but it’s something to consider.

Of course out of state apartment owners don’t elect officials but I’m wondering how much pull they had in campaign contributions to state legislators (they certainly got a real good lobbyist because that’s how things work in the state) now that you asked your rhetorical question.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Chicago is great. I’m guessing I spent 30 days there in 2021. I don’t see how anyone could not enjoy it.

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
I would gladly donate an extra $2500 per year toward more prisons.

It’s only going to get worse with the increased restrictions on abortion…..see Chicago

Yeah that makes a lot of sense. Let's just kill them before they even have a chance to grow up and kill.

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
Have we not been talking about this for 30 years? I feel bad for the people who love the city and try to make it a better place, but the crime problem will be this way until the state or federal government find a way (a legal reason that holds up in court) to come in and drive the ship. Neither of those will happen anytime soon because this is America and the courts would be all over it.

The majority of citizens in Jackson are simply incapable of electing leaders who have the brain power to make major reforms. It's the worst capitol city in the nation and it's a shame.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
y. In fairness, we've had to do the same thing for work orders in Memphis, Birmingham, Mobile, and NOLA. But Jackson just feels like they've given up.

Interesting observation. I noticed that most - if not all - of the cities you cited are on the list provided within MaroonEagle's link.

It's disappointing to witness Jackson (and Mississippi) let it all slip away as there is so much that potential. It won't be long before the Californians and New Yorkers observe that they can possibly get 3x the house for 1/3 of the cost.

And, in time, Mississippi could quite possibly go from a "red" to a "blue" state in the years to come.

Last edited:

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
And those landlords are largely out of state corporations.

And I’m more than a bit surprised that my friend said this because he might be more conservative than you.

What does them being out of state have to do with anything?

Police protection is usually something paid for by taxes. I don't see any reason that apartments should be forced to hire security any more than HOAs should. I don't think it'd be a terrible idea to have a portion of property taxes essentially be a flat tax based on the number of individual dwellings on a property. That way you'd have apartment complexes (and other small residential) maybe paying taxes approximating the burden they put on city resources, rather than them being a net drain.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
That's a good question I'd love to ask my friend.

My guess is that an out-of-state owner means a higher likelihood that the property might not be as valued as one seen more often especially by local ownership.

xxxWalkTheDawg

Oct 21, 2005
WLBT reports that Jackson had the highest per capita murder rate in 2021 of any city in the U.S.

https://www.wlbt.com/2022/01/01/analysis-jacksons-rate-killings-per-capita-ranks-highest-us/

Not to sound callous to you folks in Jackson or anything, but we in North Mississippi just shrug our shoulders at it. Its no longer interesting to view from afar.

there is no fixing it. Hell.. Kenneth stokes is elected and re-elected, Hinds county supervisors are throwing fists in session, homicide and crime is the norm, they can barely keep the water flowing, and there is nothing substantive being done about it other than having a hand out for more money. Money that is then distributed out to outstretched hands and disappears with little to show for it.

Its an intriguing sociology experiment…. How long can it go before people come to their senses? Or will it crash, burn, and bankrupt out.

I mean.. the interstates run in four directions out of Jackson. Leave the madness. My advice? Take the one running north until you see competency.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Chicago is great. I’m guessing I spent 30 days there in 2021. I don’t see how anyone could not enjoy it.

Parts of Chicago are incredible. Parts are dangerous hell holes. And they're really not far apart distance wise. All it will take for Chicago to go to hell is to elect a mayor woke enough to not protect the bubble from the hell hole.

Plus there is the risk that their unfunded pensions will screw everything up. Be interesting to see what happens when they can no longer kick the can down the road. They already have high taxes, so it's hard to see them raising them enough to meet their obligations. It's also hard to see them allowing pensioners to just not get paid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login