Thunder & Lightning: Don’t Plan on March Madness for Mississippi State Basketbal

HD6

Apr 8, 2003

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
I am fine with this. Our baseball team does not need any distractions.

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
With 7 SEC teams predicted to make it and Lunardi having MSU currently as the First Team Out, I would bet MSU makes the tourney. They have UofL and Ark both in it now, and both teams have worse losses than we do. SEC season hasn't even started and this stance is premature/weak.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
With 7 SEC teams predicted to make it and Lunardi having MSU currently as the First Team Out, I would bet MSU makes the tourney. They have UofL and Ark both in it now, and both teams have worse losses than we do. SEC season hasn't even started and this stance is premature/weak.
Yep, they'll have it rolling by then, too good not to. That Furman team the other night was legit.

Just another negative hot take.

Hump4Hoops

May 1, 2010
"Too good not to" - can't say that I agree.

We've had "too good not to" teams miss the tournament almost every year of Howland's tenure here.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Its 5 weeks into a 4 month season, the men's record is 8-3, their rpi is 46, and their sos is projected to end at 21.
They may not make the tournament, but it sure seems premature to say 'It just doesn’t appear that either Mississippi State team has what it takes to earn invitations to the Big Dance come March...'.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Nor does his track record favor him. I have no doubt that the team will bounce back with a few nice wins before the season’s end, but something tells me that we’ll be talking about a bunch of “if onlys” come selection time

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
So what gives you guys confidence that a team that has been lifeless in their 3 games against legit competition are all of a sudden going to turn it around and win 10,11,12 games in a very competitive SEC? Sorry, not seeing it.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
Well they lost to UofL and I feel confident saying they will lose to Arkansas. The SEC schedule play is a bit more challenging than the OOC play I would say. Sooo.....are they gonna step it up ? If they don't step up their effort they will not make the tourney. This team has the individual talent to get it done, but I'm not too sure they have anything else.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Does anyone understand NET? It looks like its now just two factors and both of them seem to include some vague, arbitrary component about how difficult the game is. Ive read several articles and cant find anyone that seems to know anything either

Last edited by a moderator:

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
So what gives you guys confidence that a team that has been lifeless in their 3 games against legit competition are all of a sudden going to turn it around and win 10,11,12 games in a very competitive SEC? Sorry, not seeing it.

The Minnesota and Colorado State games didnt seem lifeless to me.
They led in the Colorado State game for the middle 25min and with 6min left led by 8. They took care of the ball(only 9 turnovers), pulled down a bunch of offensive rebounds, and went 14-15 from the line. They went cold in the last few minutes on offense and lost. That game wasnt played by a team that is 'lifeless'.
As for the Minnesota game, the team rebounded great, hit their free throws, shot it OK, kept turnovers below assists, and tied it with under 1 min remaining.

The adjectives you and some others on here use to describe what you see are often times very curious to me. Those games werent 'lifeless' at all. Players hustled, players fought for space and positioning, and players executed. Claiming those 80 minutes of play were lifeless is missing out on a lot of effort.

I didnt see the Louisville game because of streaming. We may have been lifeless, not sure.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Its 5 weeks into a 4 month season, the men's record is 8-3, their rpi is 46, and their sos is projected to end at 21.
They may not make the tournament, but it sure seems premature to say 'It just doesn’t appear that either Mississippi State team has what it takes to earn invitations to the Big Dance come March...'.

It's very premature. I get people being pessimistic based on Howland's recent track record, but we have a lot of new pieces and have been hurt by injuries. I'm certainly not betting that we figure it out because I'm not sure our pieces fit together that well, but it's also not suprising that we have struggled early with the number of new pieces we are trying to integrate while having several of those pieces miss time due to injury.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008

Helping you out a bit making sure you can see this coming back in about a month

View attachment 23339

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
Does anyone understand NET? It looks like its now just two factors and both of them seem to include some vague, arbitrary component about how difficult the game is. Ive read several articles and cant find anyone that seems to know anything either
[FONT=&quot]https://twitter.com/marchmadness/status/1067063960753573889?s=20

That was the infographic they released to explain NET initially. They have reduced it to just the first two factors.

Essentially, I think the first one is equivalent to football's strength of record. How impressive is your record when accounting for opponents. How it is actually calculated, which I realize was most of your question, I don't know.

The Net Efficiency Rat[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]ing is how much do you outscore your opponents by on a per possession basis, adjusted for strength of opponent and where the game takes place. Again, I don't know how they do the "adjusting."

So it sounds like the two factors are similar except one ignores margin of victory and the other considers it strongly.[/FONT]

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003

To me, of the "name" opponents - we have 3 losses. Win 1 - I think people would be more optimistic.

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
Win 1 - I think people would be more optimistic.
With reason. Our schedule presented us with 4 chances to get a good win out of the conference. We are 0-3 with the hardest one remaining. I can't imagine the number of teams that make the NCAAT with zero Quad 1 wins OOC is high, and if Richmond has a poor A10 season, we won't even have a Quad 2 win.

Obviously we can make this moot by kicking *** from here on out.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
I see another nice run in the NIT coming our way. I mean really whats the difference ? One and done in the big tourney or a good run in the NIT.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
To me, of the "name" opponents - we have 3 losses. Win 1 - I think people would be more optimistic.
Totally agree. I would be more optimistic if they beat Minnesota or Colorado State.

While I am not too optimistic right now, HD's writeup is Eeyore level pessimistic. Current stats and figures that we know are used to determine selections in March are not at the level that constitutes a whole segment on how we dont appear to have what it takes.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
No difference, with the exception that the retirement ceremony date would have to be adjusted.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Says the guy who spent 5 minutes on his podcast discussing the greatest shooters in MSU history and never mentioned Jeff Malone.

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
I see another nice run in the NIT coming our way. I mean really whats the difference ? One and done in the big tourney or a good run in the NIT.

An NIT run only matters if that experience carries over into an NCAA tourney appearance the following season. Colorado State and Memphis will make that happen. Us, probably not so much.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login