Thunder & Lightning: Where Is The Buzz For Mississippi State Football?

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
You can talk recruiting, portal, staff all you want. Leach is what his record is.
Well, considering those things, plus Leach's previous track record....does that not give you hope that we will exceed 7-5 this year? All evidence points toward an upward trajectory and to deny this is just being anti-Leach. Which you are, of course, so just admit that, rather than trying to argue facts.

archdog

Aug 22, 2012
Leach is just like Howland as far as what he brings to the program as far as excitement. He doesn't sell MSU. So the only thing you have going for you is wins which remains to be seen.

That is a very fair assessment. Beat Bama and Georgia next year and we will talk. Don't, and it doesn't matter anyway.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Well, considering those things, plus Leach's previous track record....does that not give you hope that we will exceed 7-5 this year? All evidence points toward an upward trajectory and to deny this is just being anti-Leach. Which you are, of course, so just admit that, rather than trying to argue facts.

Exceed 7-5? We ain't gonna make it to 7-5.

D4L

Aug 2, 2021
Its March 24th... I'm not even thinking about our football team. Baseball is in full swing and we just hired 2 basketball coaches. Making too big a deal about nothing.

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
That is a very fair assessment. Beat Bama and Georgia next year and we will talk. Don't, and it doesn't matter anyway.

oh come on. Knute Rockne or Vince Lombardi couldn't coach us to wins over those teams. That's all you are asking of Leach? I get the pessimism but sheesh. This season being a success or a bust hinges on MSU beating the two teams that played for a national title last year?

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
We need to open with at least a 2 TD win over Memphis.

I do wish CML would be a little more animated on the sidelines. He does feel like a Howland clone except I'm way more excited to see the air raid than that crap offense Howland puts on the floor. We've got a prolific passer about to enter his Jr season, a lot of depth on the O-line and some good returning talent in the backfield. Be nice to have 5 wins going into the KY game.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I do wish CML would be a little more animated on the sidelines. He does feel like a Howland clone except I'm way more excited to see the air raid than that crap offense Howland puts on the floor. We've got a prolific passer about to enter his Jr season, a lot of depth on the O-line and some good returning talent in the backfield. Be nice to have 5 wins going into the KY game.
and THERE'S the difference in Leach and Howland.

And yeah, we have a ton coming back and supplemented our loss well with transfers and JUCOs. There's a lot to like.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
It will be interesting to see what season ticket sales are by mid August. Cohen won’t have LSU and BAMA fans to sell tickets to this year. UGA does travel well, so the faculty will be able to unload a good many tickets to UGA fans.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
I’m still in show me mode from Joe’s hire. Joe showed me nothing and so far neither has Leach.
We were a missed FG and a couple of botched officiating calls from being 10-1 going into the Egg Bowl! BTW, one call I haven't seen discussed much was the onside kick vs LSU where we recovered but were penalized for illegal touching before the ball went 10 yards.

If you look at the replay, there is no doubt our guy was blocked into the "illegal touch", which I'm pretty sure nullifies the illegal touch, making our subsequent recovery legal. Refs blew that call as well. Is it CML's fault our FG kickers, who were supposed to be good, consistently choked on what should have been easy FG attempts?

archdog

Aug 22, 2012
We were a missed FG and a couple of botched officiating calls from being 10-1 going into the Egg Bowl! BTW, one call I haven't seen discussed much was the onside kick vs LSU where we recovered but were penalized for illegal touching before the ball went 10 yards.

If you look at the replay, there is no doubt our guy was blocked into the "illegal touch", which I'm pretty sure nullifies the illegal touch, making our subsequent recovery legal. Refs blew that call as well. Is it CML's fault our FG kickers, who were supposed to be good, consistently choked on what should have been easy FG attempts?

Winners make the plays to win, and yes we were 17ed several times last year. Royally 17ed.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
Winners make the plays to win, and yes we were 17ed several times last year. Royally 17ed.
Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of just accepting adages as true. Some are and some are depending on the context, but I'm definitely not one who buys the idea that, "even though we got screwed, if we were winners we would have won anyway". That's why undefeated seasons are so rare...the best team does not always win, and often the result is due to bad calls.

Not saying you are doing that, because you did also admit we got 17ed. But there are so many people who believe "reasons" are always "excuses" and "excuses are for losers". While that is often true, I am not one who believes there are no exceptions.

In any case, it is a fact that we were very, very close, and could even argue we should have been 10-1 or 9-2 going into the Egg Bowl, and weren't because officials blew calls or kickers missed chip-shot FG's, both of which should not reflect negatively on the coaching staff, at least as far as record goes. Of course we can say for instance that we should never have been in as tight a game with Memphis where a blown call or two made the difference. But those blown calls did most likely turn a W into an L.

If we are going to judge CML on his record from last year, it is only logical & appropriate for purposes of said judgement that we do factor in the screw jobs and FG kicker chokes, and acknowledge this was a team that really should have been the aforementioned 10-1 or 9-2 at worst.

Last edited:

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I didn't think we played that poorly in the Egg Bowl though. We had a chance to win but Ole Miss was just better.

Did you go to the game and watch? We played about as piss poor game as you get until 4th quarter which is how we played most games outside of nc state and TAMU.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Don’t feed the trolls.

We are infested with trolls, Debbie Downers, Passive/Aggressive Adolescences, and one contingent who are just 17ing mad as hell at Cohen, Leach, or both. It's gonna be a long year with our schedule even though things appear to be changes happening, it ain't fast enough dammit!!!

EXCLUSIVE CONTENT

<header class="article-header" style="font-size: 16px; box-sizing: border-box; max-width: 640px; margin: 0px auto 20px; position: relative; z-index: 1000035; caret-color: rgb(29, 30, 31); color: rgb(29, 30, 31); font-family: -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, Roboto, Arial, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, sans-serif;">[h=1]College football's top 25 future quarterback power rankings[/h]</header>
[h=2]12. Mississippi State Bulldogs[/h]2021 ranking: Not ranked
Returning starter: Will Rogers

Scouting the Bulldogs: The Mike Leach effect is under way in Starkville. After a solid freshman season, Rogers delivered a record-setting sophomore performance in Leach's Air Raid offense. He led the nation in completion percentage (73.9) and topped the SEC chart in passing yards per game (364.5), ahead of Alabama's Young. Rogers broke some of Dak Prescott's team records, finishing with 4,739 pass yards and 36 touchdowns. He completed at least 60% of his pass attempts in every game and eclipsed 70% nine times. The question is whether Rogers will play one or two more seasons for Mississippi State. If it's the latter, and if he stays healthy, Mississippi State could challenge Alabama and Texas A&M for the SEC's best quarterback outlook.
Chance Lovertich is back for his final season after playing sparingly behind Rogers in 2021. The most interesting non-Rogers subplot is Sawyer Robertson, ESPN's No. 56 overall recruit in 2021. How long will Robertson wait in Starkville for a chance to play in Leach's offense? Leach added another Texas quarterback recruit, four-star prospect Braedyn Locke, in the 2022 class. Mississippi State will remain an attractive destination for quarterbacks because of its system.

Feb 23, 2008
Because our fans care more about beating Ole Miss than life itself. I get it.

You can't go 0-3 against them. It's just funny how just 2 games changes everyone's opinion. If he beats them in 2020, we go 5-5 in a covid year with literally no spring practice in his first year. If he beats them last year, we go 8-4. I'm not trying to cheer anyone up but we're not far off. Keep in mind they also had a generational type QB. Who knows what's going to happen but I'd encourage anyone to go look at our roster. Look how many familiar names you'll see on there. It's make or break for sure but I feel much much better about things going into this year and I for one am optimistic. Schedule is an obstacle of course. But 8-4 looks very likely. Anything less has to be seen as a failure by even the most loyal Leach fans.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
If you don't get this, you don't get football in Mississippi. Winning this rivalry game is critical to building a successful program, player recruitment, and the psyche of every Bulldog fan. ... or mine, at least.

Last edited:

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Did you go to the game and watch? We played about as piss poor game as you get until 4th quarter which is how we played most games outside of nc state and TAMU.
Of course I did. But I did leave in the middle of the 3rd quarter. Because, rain and cold.

You do realize another team is on the field, right? Do you realize that team was a 9-2 team at the time we played them, with a 1st rounder at QB? Not to mention a few field goals and caught passes and we are ahead in that game.

You're wrong.

Feb 23, 2008
Oh I get it as well. Just need to sometimes put things into perspective. We aren't beating them every single year and they aren't beating us every single year. It's always going to be back and forth. Now when you get to 3 in a row, it definitely raises some eyebrows. And both schools would say the same thing.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
No one can hear it except me and it's irritating-- wait, no, that's my tinnitus. **

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login