BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021

😞
In other words as Leona Helmsley said ... "taxes are for the little people... "

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Why bother? The alumni trustees will never be given any meaningful responsibilities unless they kow-tow to the Executive Committee. And maybe not even then. I'll not be surprised, down the road, if the position of Alumni Trustee is removed from the BOT. Or given one token position.

Exactly this. The AETs are essentially cushy positions of access. There is zero power, and why they are given a vote is beyond me. I understand people objecting to Barry's antics/tactics, but denying him or anyone with a vote access to information that would be critical to making an informed decision is petty. If the decisions by the various committee's are up to snuff, they should be able to defend/justify every decision they make fairly easily. That said, when looking at the numbers from the board on the projected revenue for Beaver Stadium (to justify the cost of the $700,000,000.00 renovation), I can see why they're a bit shy about sharing.

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021
Exactly this. The AETs are essentially cushy positions of access. There is zero power, and why they are given a vote is beyond me. I understand people objecting to Barry's antics/tactics, but denying him or anyone with a vote access to information that would be critical to making an informed decision is petty. If the decisions by the various committee's are up to snuff, they should be able to defend/justify every decision they make fairly easily. That said, when looking at the numbers from the board on the projected revenue for Beaver Stadium (to justify the cost of the $700,000,000.00 renovation), I can see why they're a bit shy about sharing.
Well stated. Simply put if you make valid decisions you should be able to back those decisions up with data, facts and thought processes. You should have nothing to be concerned about or want to keep behind closed doors. Especially with the knowledge that the AET's even if they strongly disagree with you their 3 votes simply put don't matter(or really count).

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Well stated. Simply put if you make valid decisions you should be able to back those decisions up with data, facts and thought processes. You should have nothing to be concerned about or want to keep behind closed doors. Especially with the knowledge that the AET's even if they strongly disagree with you their 3 votes simply put don't matter(or really count).

Well, they have 9 votes, but really, might as well be zero.

And the fact that Barry hasn't posted anything in his defense (allowing that his counsel may have advised against it at this point - who knows?) doesn't look good for him.

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021

And the fact that Barry hasn't posted anything in his defense (allowing that his counsel may have advised against it at this point - who knows?) doesn't look good for him.
Yes they do have 9. What I get for multi tasking was thinking of the 3 up for election recently.
One absolutely, positively does not make comments related to such situations on social media. This is Rule #1. Rule 2 is see Rule #1.
Every lawyer I know regardless of the what case they are working on tells people DO NOT post on any type of social media or public platform. PERIOD. End of Story.

Reactions: ValleyForgeLion

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021

UNANIMOUS. o_O

Achowalogan

Oct 12, 2021
For those paying attention over the past decade plus, we've seen this story before.

Alice Pope and other alum elected trustees were denied background information on the fact-freeh report. As trustees this information should have been readily available to them. The elected alums had to sue the university to gain access to the information that should have been provided to them. They won the lawsuit, the information was shared, and Alice completed the painstaking task of writing the report/findings. The results, as predicted; the fact-freeh report was the contrived, fact-freeh pile of used toilet paper we all knew it was.

Now we have a trustee again being denied information. No question Barry would win the case, the info would reveal that which does not want to be revealed. Eliminate Barry, eliminate the lawsuit (since there is now no trustee being denied information), corruption prevails.

I love my university and have great disdain for the self-serving corrupt powerbrokers that perpetuates themselves....

Last edited:

TiogaLion

Oct 31, 2021
One absolutely, positively does not make comments related to such situations on social media. This is Rule #1. Rule 2 is see Rule #1.
This is exactly the right advice. I know Barry personally and I'm confident the accusations the university has insinuated are total BS. I'd try to call him but I'm equally as confident that his attorney has put a gag order on him. I'm sure he'll get his chance in the media in due time.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
statecollege.com article with some commentary from Barry's attorney.

Committee Recommends Removal of Alumni-Elected Trustee Barry Fenchak From Penn State Board

“Fenchak directed Onward State to his lawyer, Terry Mutchler, for a statement.

“The bottom line is they don’t like this guy. Let’s just be plainspoken here. They don’t like him. They don’t like that he’s asking questions about a $4 billion endowment,” Mutchler said in a message to Onward State.

“In my view, it sounds like they’ve already made a decision. I would prefer that there be a real, robust discussion at the board meeting instead of a cookie-cutter, formulaic, ‘This is where they’re headed’ sort of scenario, which it seems that’s the case.

“They seemingly have piled on everything they can think of to avoid one thing: being transparent about the finances.””

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
evidence?

There are some links in The Den (where I’m sad to say the opinion of ‘McAndrew Board posters’ is extremely low) that imply a tangential relationship to some Nazi history book publishers.

TiogaLion

Oct 31, 2021
There are some links in The Den (where I’m sad to say the opinion of ‘McAndrew Board posters’ is extremely low) that imply a tangential relationship to some Nazi history book publishers.
This has nothing to do with Barry. You are discussing his son, not him. Don't talk about his family here, or anywhere. That's just wrong. Keep your eye of the thieves that run the BOT.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
This has nothing to do with Barry. You are discussing his son, not him. Don't talk about his family here, or anywhere. That's just wrong. Keep your eye of the thieves that run the BOT.

I don’t disagree which is why I didn’t post the links. Just trying to share with a fellow poster where this is coming from. I have no idea as to the validity of any of this and agree it doesn’t belong here anyway.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
How can this possibly be? Jealousy? Where else can you find such a collection of knowledge and beauty (on the inside and out)?
Canadian Idk GIF

Reactions: step.eng69

MacwoodFleetPSU

Sep 9, 2022
The evidence seems to point out that Barry raised someone with white nationalist views. That really sucks. Penn Staters should know.

MacwoodFleetPSU

Sep 9, 2022
I googled him and see nothing of note that would tie him to White Supremacy. Can you link to something that I’m missing?
You’re not Looking very hard. It’s right there on the internet, and over in the lions den. Idk, it just seems like something proud nittany lions should know about an elected trustee. I’m sure Barry doesn’t share those views, he seems like a standup guy, other than when he acts inappropriately in public causing him to lose a board seat he was going to lose to a random football player in a few months anyways

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021
The evidence seems to point out that Barry raised someone with white nationalist views. That really sucks. Penn Staters should know.

"seems" or does? Is it fact? You use seems and implies in an attempt to use them as facts. I thought we learned a long time ago around here on another issue with the BOT and a head football coach about jumping to conclusions and wait for facts.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2021
<checks watch> Yup, right on time. Barry has lawyered up with smart lawyers who are presenting a simple case of illegal behavior by the Board leadership. I've read the complaints and he has them dead to rights, so they are sending out their not-so-bright minions to start attacking his family. "Yeah, just Google it...", "Gee, sure looks bad Barry's not defending himself..."

I'll be happy to Google PA statutes 5512(a) and (b) that say the Board leadership is breaking laws left and right with Brandon Short, Carl Nassib, Ali Krieger, Steve Wagman, and Christa Hasenhumpadumpf cheering them on. I've also donated to Barry to make sure a judge dogwalks Matt Schuyler and his cronies, and explains to a few of the posters here how the law works when you take taxpayer dollars. This is the best donation I can make to Penn State.

kgilbert78

Oct 25, 2021
Hearing all of this was interesting as we recently saw our financial advisor. I'm 8 months into retirement, and we discovered that our situation is a lot better than expected. At some point I'll have to make distributions out of my retirement account, and there's a way to do that as a charitable contribution that has a good tax implication and is good for the charity. We've already begin the process to endow a fund at the Indianapolis Zoo for 50K. Looks like we'll be able to do another one, which was a nice surprise. At one time that would have gone to Penn State without question. Now? Not so much. At all. This has very little to nothing to do with Joe, as has been claimed by some, with the caveat that while the BOT has changed, their chicanery has not--and in fact has gotten worse. A lot worse. And an organization that is hiding their books from not only the public (as this is supposed to be a public university--at least in part) but also from their own trustees--who are fiduciaries--is not a place I want to send my money. And yes, Barry can be a jerk (and feel free to insert other words). But his point remains and is valid. That will cost PSU a minimum of $100K from me. And that's not chump change. Or, if it is, I'm not going to be that chump.

Sharkies

Nov 1, 2021
<checks watch> Yup, right on time. Barry has lawyered up with smart lawyers who are presenting a simple case of illegal behavior by the Board leadership. I've read the complaints and he has them dead to rights, so they are sending out their not-so-bright minions to start attacking his family. "Yeah, just Google it...", "Gee, sure looks bad Barry's not defending himself..."

I'll be happy to Google PA statutes 5512(a) and (b) that say the Board leadership is breaking laws left and right with Brandon Short, Carl Nassib, Ali Krieger, Steve Wagman, and Christa Hasenhumpadumpf cheering them on. I've also donated to Barry to make sure a judge dogwalks Matt Schuyler and his cronies, and explains to a few of the posters here how the law works when you take taxpayer dollars. This is the best donation I can make to Penn State.
If Brandon really cared about Penn State (he doesn't), he would join as co-plaintiff in the lawsuit. You would think with Brandon's background, he'd want to also have a fiduciary look at financials that should already be readily available to any Trustee... but here we are.

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
Hearing all of this was interesting as we recently saw our financial advisor. I'm 8 months into retirement, and we discovered that our situation is a lot better than expected. At some point I'll have to make distributions out of my retirement account, and there's a way to do that as a charitable contribution that has a good tax implication and is good for the charity. We've already begin the process to endow a fund at the Indianapolis Zoo for 50K. Looks like we'll be able to do another one, which was a nice surprise. At one time that would have gone to Penn State without question. Now? Not so much. At all. This has very little to nothing to do with Joe, as has been claimed by some, with the caveat that while the BOT has changed, their chicanery has not--and in fact has gotten worse. A lot worse. And an organization that is hiding their books from not only the public (as this is supposed to be a public university--at least in part) but also from their own trustees--who are fiduciaries--is not a place I want to send my money. And yes, Barry can be a jerk (and feel free to insert other words). But his point remains and is valid. That will cost PSU a minimum of $100K from me. And that's not chump change. Or, if it is, I'm not going to be that chump.
I can relate on a different level…my children are starting to hit the age where they’ll be looking at colleges. Once upon a time, I would have written a blank check for them to attend PSU (via out-of-state tuition) due to how great my time was there and how much it shaped my life. Now, schools like Rutgers, Rowan, and TCNJ are much stronger/more likely options.

For me, it has little to nothing to do with how Joe was treated; and everything to do with the cost…zero chance I’m giving any more $ to our school until they get the financial house in order so I feel it isn’t being wasted. I would have voted for Barry again because I believe he’s one the few (in the leadership positions) that challenges everyone to think more sensibly about the spending.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
If Brandon really cared about Penn State (he doesn't), he would join as co-plaintiff in the lawsuit. You would think with Brandon's background, he'd want to also have a fiduciary look at financials that should already be readily available to any Trustee... but here we are.

$700 MM for Beaver Stadium upgrades. Everything is fine.

FOOTBALL. o_O

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021
$700 MM for Beaver Stadium upgrades. Everything is fine.

FOOTBALL. o_O
Exactly... I don't why everyone is making such a big deal out of PSU's debt and the $700 mill stadium upgrade. It's not like its the BOT money why should they care about spending it. They just want everyone to be happy and line their friends pockets out of the opportunities. ;)

Nov 3, 2021
Brandon is on the PSIC, which is the top-secret Board committee that oversees the endowment fund investment activities (which I think are run out of PSU admin office day-to-day). So Brandon knows exactly what's in there... but I cannot say with any certainty that he understands it. Barb Doran is also on that committee. It's that committee that is refusing to release any details to other trustees, with full confidentially, beyond what you can find on the 990.

Reactions: Bison13

Keyser Soze 16802

Oct 12, 2021
It’s Ms. Mutchler. She was the director of the PA Office of Open Records, ruled that the PA RTK law applies to PSU. Wasn’t reappointed by One-Term Tommy Corbett (shocking). Now in private practice at Obermayer Rebmann Maxwell & Hippel.
Thanks for the correction....and she seems perfect for the job!

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021

Brandon is on the PSIC, which is the top-secret Board committee that oversees the endowment fund investment activities (which I think are run out of PSU admin office day-to-day). So Brandon knows exactly what's in there... but I cannot say with any certainty that he understands it. Barb Doran is also on that committee. It's that committee that is refusing to release any details to other trustees, with full confidentially, beyond what you can find on the 990.
Don't overestimate Short's financial acumen (not hard to do), but he is capable of understanding a fee structure (which most sixth-graders can do with a little help.