USMNT Thread

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Games here in the US are fun to see, but they are friendly's and with most of the top shelf players having played in an International tournament this summer you may be see very limited minutes if at all. Someone like Saka for Arsenal or any other player who's team went deep into the tournament probably won't see a ton of minutes. They are fun to attend, but they are just warm up matches designed to get players in match shape as well as give some of the up and coming players a place to try and earn their spot.
Yeah, but I got to see Ronaldo in his prime in one of these matches.

Reactions: LaJollaCreek

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
I am an Arsenal fan because my son is a huge soccer fan and he needs someone to enjoy it with. None of his friends, who all played as kids, care about the game.

Back in the 80s soccer was going to be the next big thing. Then in the 90s, the 00s and the 10s. It never happened.
I guess it depends on your perspective of what "soccer becoming a big thing" actually means. 30 years ago, the US didn't have a real professional soccer league. A generation later, and you've got MLS averaging over 23.5k per game across 29 teams. Ratings for the Copa America have been very strong, the last world cup was very strong, and I'm sure the 2026 World Cup will blow away all prior record ratings. If people were expecting everyone to suddenly stop caring about other sports with soccer being king, they had completely unrealistic expectations. But it continues to grow year over year, generation over generation.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Yeah, but I got to see Ronaldo in his prime in one of these matches.
No doubt as did I with Ronaldo. They are fun but in the EURO/COPA/WC years some of the bigger stars aren’t always available. That was my only point as some years are a bit leaner.

Reactions: LionJim

HarrisburgDave

Oct 29, 2021
I guess it depends on your perspective of what "soccer becoming a big thing" actually means. 30 years ago, the US didn't have a real professional soccer league. A generation later, and you've got MLS averaging over 23.5k per game across 29 teams. Ratings for the Copa America have been very strong, the last world cup was very strong, and I'm sure the 2026 World Cup will blow away all prior record ratings. If people were expecting everyone to suddenly stop caring about other sports with soccer being king, they had completely unrealistic expectations. But it continues to grow year over year, generation over generation.
I am not going to debate you, I like soccer, er football. I am also old enough to eat dirt. I hope the sport grows.

There was a professional soccer league in the United States back in the 1970s and 80s. Players like Johan Cruyff (sp?), Franz Beckinbauer and Pele played on teams in LA and NYC. I checked Wikipedia and found that the league at that time had 24 teams at its height with an average attendance from 1978 thru 1980 of 14,000 people. The championship games were on network television.

Now that league did die out in the late 1980s after operating for about twenty years, but when you look at the numbers you give and compare them to then you just do not see the growth you might think.

Fortunately I think the current league does have more Americans playing on each team than the old league had playing back in the day.

Last edited:

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Since someone brought up Cryuff, I’d see him play at RFK Stadium while he was with the Diplomats. Still a good player when I saw him, 1978-1980. We’d go up to the otherwise empty upper deck and pass around joints with impunity, good times.

manatree

Oct 6, 2021

Now that league did die out in the late 1980s after operating for about twenty years, but when you look at the numbers you give and compare them to then you just do not see the growth you might think.

Fortunately I think the current league does have more Americans playing on each team than the old league had playing back in the day.

Granted, I was just a kid at the time of the first version of the NASL, but were there any other pro leagues in the states at the time? I don't believe that the support structure for the NASL was nearly as deep as what are in the States right now.

Currently there are five men's pro soccer leagues in the US.

Level 1
MLS with 29 clubs

II
Level 2
USL Championship with 24 clubs

III
MLS Next Pro with 29 clubs
NISA with 9 clubs
USL League One with 12 clubs

On the women's side, the NWSL is in their eleventh season with 14 teams. The USL is supposed to be starting a second pro league starting in August with 8 teams.

I believe that all of the MLS & USL teams have fairly sizable academy programs set up. Hopefully their finances allow to catch talented kids without the financial means to pay for the typical pay for play clubs.

Reactions: LionJim

HarrisburgDave

Oct 29, 2021
Granted, I was just a kid at the time of the first version of the NASL, but were there any other pro leagues in the states at the time? I don't believe that the support structure for the NASL was nearly as deep as what are in the States right now.

Currently there are five men's pro soccer leagues in the US.

Level 1
MLS with 29 clubs

II
Level 2
USL Championship with 24 clubs

III
MLS Next Pro with 29 clubs
NISA with 9 clubs
USL League One with 12 clubs

On the women's side, the NWSL is in their eleventh season with 14 teams. The USL is supposed to be starting a second pro league starting in August with 8 teams.

I believe that all of the MLS & USL teams have fairly sizable academy programs set up. Hopefully their finances allow to catch talented kids without the financial means to pay for the typical pay for play clubs.
I don’t remember if these other leagues existed back in the 70s and 80s. I can tell you that the league was covered by national media and as I said they got publicity signing some international names and had games on a broadcast network and cable.

Still, that was 50 years ago and despite all that work I doubt you would find more than 1 person in a hundred could tell you the name of the current league champion or what team Messi plays for.

Without a doubt the game has had progress in setting up a more sustainable infrastructure since then. I understand they get similar ratings to hockey.

Last edited:

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
Still, that was 50 years ago and despite all that work I doubt you would find more than 1 person in a hundred could tell you the name of the current league champion or what team Messi plays for.

I think you are overestimating the number of people that could name the current NHL, NBA, MLB, or even the NFL champs if it weren’t for Taylor Swift. I for one cannot name the NBA champs, and the only reason I know that Florida & Edmonton were in the finals was because there was a thread on this board. I do not know which team won.

GreggK

May 25, 2022

“Jürgen Klopp, Thierry Henry and Marcelo Bielsa are among those being speculated about as candidates to replace Berhalter, along with Jesse Marsch, Hugo Pérez, Pellegrino Matarazzo, David Wagner, Steve Cherundolo, Jim Curtain, Massimiliano Allegri and Mauricio Pochettino.”

• Haha

GreggK

May 25, 2022
I think Dolo is most likely, however..

"The Independent understands that initial contact has been made with Klopp over the possibility of replacing the 50-year-old, as the United States gears up for the 2026 World Cup. The US will co-host the tournament with Canada and Mexico and will be looking to build on a Round of 16 exit in Qatar."

Still though, I find it hard to believe that if Germany comes knocking, Klopp wouldn't open the door.

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
I think Dolo is most likely, however..

"The Independent understands that initial contact has been made with Klopp over the possibility of replacing the 50-year-old, as the United States gears up for the 2026 World Cup. The US will co-host the tournament with Canada and Mexico and will be looking to build on a Round of 16 exit in Qatar."

Still though, I find it hard to believe that if Germany comes knocking, Klopp wouldn't open the door.
When Klopp left Liverpool, I just assumed he was positioning himself to eventually take the job for Germany. I think their current manager just signed through the world cup though. Klopp taking over the US team would be a dream come true, but I would be surprised if it actually happened.

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
As a BvB & Spurs fan, this would allow me to root for Klopp again. Realistically, I'm guessing he remains on my s#!t list.

Reactions: rudedude

GreggK

May 25, 2022
As a BvB & Spurs fan, this would allow me to root for Klopp again.

Unlikely to happen but fun to think about! (even though some get very angry about that)
He also coached Pulisic in at his start and apparently likes him a lot.

I think Marsch and Cherundolo are likely, though, I would love someone from outside at this point.

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
Unlikely to happen but fun to think about! (even though some get very angry about that)
He also coached Pulisic in at his start and apparently likes him a lot.
I think that Pulisic was still with Dortmund's U17 squad when Jürgen left.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Klopp left 15 million a year due to being worn down at a great club. There will be better jobs thrown at him and I’m sure some already were. Don’t fall for it.

charlie brown thanksgiving GIF by Peanuts

Tgar

Oct 13, 2021

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
This would generate a whole new level of intrigue for carrying the discussion forward with this bunch of travel team participants with malcontent parents.

Bravo. Now maybe the problems with development and on field play can be identified once and for all.

Thanks @GreggK for the post.
Color me shocked as the good old boy network went outside their comfort zone, good on them. Good hire, the ceiling is up a quarter an inch. Basically get out of group stage at the WC and maybe win a game in the knockout round if they get lucky. He cannot fix the talent disparity between the US and top level sides, but maybe he can organize them as to have a punchers chance.

I'm not sure what excuses people are talking about honestly, the US isn't going to find the talent upgrades between now and 2026. He won't be the first foreign coach to knock our pay for play either. The US and CONCACAF are behind EURO and S. American sides when the A teams show up for tournaments.

Reactions: DCLion11 and Tgar

Tgar

Oct 13, 2021
Color me shocked as the good old boy network went outside their comfort zone, good on them. Good hire, the ceiling is up a quarter an inch. Basically get out of group stage at the WC and maybe win a game in the knockout round if they get lucky. He cannot fix the talent disparity between the US and top level sides, but maybe he can organize them as to have a punchers chance.

I'm not sure what excuses people are talking about honestly, the US isn't going to find the talent upgrades between now and 2026. He won't be the first foreign coach to knock our pay for play either.
It would be nice to have a coach with the cojones to say” hey mom, find your lane”

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
It would be nice to have a coach with the cojones to say” hey mom, find your lane”
Well to be fair to GB, he did call out Gio and the Karen's went back 25 years to unearth crap on him and make a circus of it. The good news is maybe the Reyna's don't have dirt on Poch...or at least we hope not because who knows if Claudio and Poch crossed paths years ago. The other thing is MLS call ups for domestic friendlies when the Club teams are in session in Europe are still going to occur. I used to laugh at so called fans of the US team complaining about the rosters for some of the friendlies when the EURO leagues are in session. Uruguay has call ups from the MLS, but the US cannot....some of the most delusional fans are USMNT fans....honestly.

If anything I'm just happy the inbreeding from the US Soccer federation has stopped. This is a much bigger fish than I thought they would get for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tgar

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021

I'm not sure what excuses people are talking about honestly, the US isn't going to find the talent upgrades between now and 2026. He won't be the first foreign coach to knock our pay for play either. The US and CONCACAF are behind EURO and S. American sides when the A teams show up for tournaments.
Keep in mind that the format has changed. 8 teams that finish 3rd in their group will now advance...and winning a game in the knockout phase now means making the round of 16. I don't think we need to "get lucky" to be one of the top 16 teams if we're really a top 20ish squad playing on home soil.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

Latest posts