We are losing supporters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Just for clarification was Art Bryles convicted of anything? Did he ever plead guilty to anything? Did the NCAA ban him? Did he lose a civil suit or settle one? Is he still involved in any court cases over it? What about Lebby? The answers to those questions would seem to be important.
Facts have no place in this thread.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Only an idiot would think that anyone would ever sign that type of contract. Art Briles isn’t going to be employed by Mississippi State. Any scandal would not involve him because he will never be in any position of authority here. Your entire premise is based on something that is never going to be an issue. But please continue with your tin foil hat death penalty theories.
It was literally an issue for OU this season! Some of you idiots, good lord help you.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Instead of getting into this vortex of stupidity with you, let's cut to the chase here. Answer this question:

Do you believe women are more likely to be raped because Art Briles visited his son-in-law at practice one day?
Answer mine first please, where do you draw the line? (And I am well aware that you will never give a good faith response to this good faith question.)

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Answer mine first please, where do you draw the line? (And I am well aware that you will never give a good faith response to this good faith question.)
Don't ask me a question I've already answered five times. It's intellectually dishonest.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Suggesting that the university is covering up rape and sexual assault by football players is extremely offensive to the university and the players. If you’ve got proof, say it. Otherwise, shut the 17 up. And I don’t think Art Briles should be affiliated with the university either. He’s a slime ball who put his head in the sand when it came to what his players were doing. But to blackball everyone who was on staff at that time and then just throw out an accusation that MSU is hiding rapes by players is just ridiculous. So 17 off please.
It is a well documented issue that college campuses have issues with sexual abuse reporting and investigation. It's a complex issue, but it's understandable if it's not one you are not aware of. If so, have the common decency to recognize that and not tell those who are more informed to 17 off.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
crickets GIF
Some of us have jobs.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Don't ask me a question I've already answered five times. It's intellectually dishonest.
You haven't, unless you just dont have one at all (which you should just say if so), and that response was as expected. Bad faith is the o only way you know how to argue.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Well, let's define "PR nightmare."

All this issue with Art on the sideline in OU gear is a nothing burger. It's the perpetually offended finding a reason to be offended. It's mentally weak people getting triggered because they don't have the capacity to separate a person who made a mistake protecting his players from a criminal rapist.

The other issue? What was he, 24? He got suspended for it. Over and done with.

The two issues have nothing to do with each other, too.

We shouldn't hold Lebby to a higher standard than anyone else because of mistakes his father in law made years ago. There is already a higher standard that comes with being a head coach in the SEC. If he doesn't meet the standard, he'll be out on his ***, just like Jomo and Arnett before him.
It's definitely a nothing burger. But you also cannot deny that there is a certain image that exists, and like it or not, it's just not a smart move to draw that attention to yourself like Lebby did a few times. I don't see what life principle he was living by that made him bear that cross, but I think it was unnecessary. Do I care? Hell no, but I do think it's unnecessary.

Sort of like Leach with the noose tweet. Did he mean anything? No, but damn man, use a little bit of discretion. You're getting paid millions of dollars to coach football - there are a lot of eyes on you. Just stay in your lane unless it's something that truly violates a core value. Back to Briles - he's an old man, he can handle himself with Lebby out there taking up for him and printing shirts and having him on the sideline.

And no, you can't talk to him about this, or put shlt in his contract. You just have to hope it doesn't come up, and it's part of the deal when you decide to hire the guy.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I read a good deal about the Briles case and wouldn't be surprised in the least if he filed a large civil suit against Baylor at some point.

campshelbydog1116

Oct 27, 2022
Dude, I have some of the thickest skin around. Saying that is just you sticking your head in the sand.
No, you don’t. You’re literally on the internet whining about our new head coach’s father possibly being in the building because we may get the death penalty from a rape scandal because of someone not employed by our university. Your position is completely ignorant to anyone who lives on planet earth and you know this but you’ve dug your heels in because you can’t admit that you have a really dumbass take on the subject. Enjoy your pearl clutching while the rest of us act like normal human beings.

• Haha
Reactions: Coast_Dawg

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
Thats wishful thinking.

Questions answered in my post, plus I'll add that we need contractual coverage that Art isn't to be around. If Lebby pulls crap like he did at OU we need contractual right to fire him on the spot without a buyout. Ditto for future related issues like happened at Baylor. That, plus what I said about program oversight.

Yall are all sticking your heads in the sand as to the difference between a coordinator and a HC. A HC in the SEC answers to no one. The AD on paper, but not in reality.

But, where do YOU draw the line?

With all due respect, shut the **** up. Just shut up. We can all be grateful that we don't have a giant ***** with these middling concerns running things.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I read a good deal about the Briles case and wouldn't be surprised in the least if he filed a large civil suit against Baylor at some point.
I think they settled and he got paid. I'd probably leave that alone, but if I'm bored, I definitely maybe sue members of the media for defamation of character. I think the problem lied more with Baylor and the administration.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I'm still waiting on mine. I asked first.
Well, since you need it spelled out for you, here's the answer: There is no line. I have no expectations for Jeff Lebby over and above what I would have for any other coach who may let his father sit in the dugout (Lemonis) or may allow his children on the sideline (Mullen/Stansbury). There's morality language in his contract, and there's very robust compliance programs in place at the school, like there has been for years. Furthermore, I'm not interested in continuing to penalize a guy who's already been penalized for something for which his level of involvement today is still questionable.

Now that I've answered your question, answer mine. Do you think Art Briles' presence at a practice makes rape on campus more likely?

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
It was an issue for a few snowflakes at OU. Most people didn't give a shlt. You know, the normal people.

like I said, perception is reality. If he is affecting the football program, he doesn’t need to be there. Everyone can dislike how other people feel about this situation all they want, but the fact he had to release a statement tells you everything you need to know.

also please note I took no stand on any of this, nor shall I

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
And interesting to see how he and MSU handle inevitable future similar issues. We either stick the entire program's neck out for a guy with questionable decision making on that front, or hamstring the program by putting Bracky on steroids, or try to thread the needle in between (which is more of a prayer than a plan). But our fans, well a vocal and historically ignorant subset anyway, have a Holloway up the Middle approach to this problem and don't want to see it, so we'll just have to hope it works out.
Why is it an either or? And do we know that he has questionable decision making? Sure his fil and former boss is a pos but that doesn't mean anything about him.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I think they settled and he got paid. I'd probably leave that alone, but if I'm bored, I definitely maybe sue members of the media for defamation of character. I think the problem lied more with Baylor and the administration.
That one was about a contract settlement , if there is a next one it will be about damages.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Well, since you need it spelled out for you, here's the answer: There is no line. I have no expectations for Jeff Lebby over and above what I would have for any other coach who may let his father sit in the dugout (Lemonis) or may allow his children on the sideline (Mullen/Stansbury). There's morality language in his contract, and there's very robust compliance programs in place at the school, like there has been for years. Furthermore, I'm not interested in continuing to penalize a guy who's already been penalized for something for which his level of involvement today is still questionable.

Now that I've answered your question, answer mine. Do you think Art Briles' presence at a practice makes rape on campus more likely?
I think your answer is typical head in the sand emotional thinking. Lebby is not a typical coach due to his history and the current world we live in. There is danger in that approach, let us hope we win this game of Russian Roullette.

I think your question is stupid. But the answer is no.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
It's definitely a nothing burger. But you also cannot deny that there is a certain image that exists, and like it or not, it's just not a smart move to draw that attention to yourself like Lebby did a few times. I don't see what life principle he was living by that made him bear that cross, but I think it was unnecessary. Do I care? Hell no, but I do think it's unnecessary.

Sort of like Leach with the noose tweet. Did he mean anything? No, but damn man, use a little bit of discretion. You're getting paid millions of dollars to coach football - there are a lot of eyes on you. Just stay in your lane unless it's something that truly violates a core value. Back to Briles - he's an old man, he can handle himself with Lebby out there taking up for him and printing shirts and having him on the sideline.

And no, you can't talk to him about this, or put shlt in his contract. You just have to hope it doesn't come up, and it's part of the deal when you decide to hire the guy.
Yeah, I just disagree about the image stuff. The way you combat that is by ripping the band aid off and leaning into it. It's a very vocal minority of perpetually triggered people causing the issue and by playing along, they're just giving them oxygen.

If I were Lebby I'd have Art on the sidelines every weekend and I'd throw middle fingers at anyone who asks questions about it. It's all nonsensical BS and it has to be squashed. This is why I want to get to the root of this with boom....does he really think Art's presence increases the likelihood of rape on campus? Because that's really what the suggestion is - that Art Briles is an enabler of rape which makes him worse than a rapist. It's very low intelligence.

• Haha

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
Just bought this to give to Art - hope he’s able to ring it on the sidelines or family box IMG_9002.jpeg

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Well, let's define "PR nightmare."

Well “we” don’t really have to define it, because Joe Castiglione and Brent Venables already defined it for us by telling him that Briles on the sideline was over the line, and that he needed to atone for it and not do that shít again. That wouldn’t have happened if there weren’t a substantial number of the brass and fans at OU that weren’t happy about him being there.

Whether it meets your or my personal standard of misconduct doesn’t really matter. It was broadly condemned and publicized, so it’s therefore definitely a “PR nightmare”.

That doesn’t mean Lebby’s not a good person deep down. Doesn’t mean we shouldn’t hire him. Doesn’t mean he can’t be successful. It’s simply a concern of his ability to use good judgment when handling off-field / PR matters. And unbeknownst to him, he would marry into a situation that would become a PR lightning rod for the majority of his career. I certainly don’t envy him in that regard, or the balancing act he has to be able to manage between his home and work life and appearance going forward. But fair or not, he’s got to be able to handle those situations better than he has in the past.

I think it’s fine to say that and still be supportive of the hire. It’s not a black and white world that we live in, no matter how much people try to make it so.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I think your answer is typical head in the sand emotional thinking. Lebby is not a typical coach due to his history and the current world we live in. There is danger in that approach, let us hope we win this game of Russian Roullette.

I think your question is stupid. But the answer is no.
And this is why you're a fvcking idiot. I swear to god this is such stupid thinking. Explain to me in detail why Lebby is not a typical coach. Be specific.

And you think my question is stupid because it defeats your entire argument. If your answer is really no, then you shouldn't have an issue with any of this.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I’ll be honest, I am a little concerned with Lebby’s relationship with a certain person who was at Baylor when he was there. It will bother me when I see him in Starkville on game days. Of course I can just mute the TV when RG3 is calling our games.
He is the worst. Literally the worst on TV and that’s saying something.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Well “we” don’t really have to define it, because Joe Castiglione and Brent Venables already defined it for us by telling him that Briles on the sideline was over the line, and that he needed to atone for it and not do that shít again. That wouldn’t have happened if there weren’t a substantial number of the brass and fans at OU that weren’t happy about him being there.

Whether it meets your or my personal standard of misconduct doesn’t really matter. It was broadly condemned and publicized, so it’s therefore definitely a “PR nightmare”.

That doesn’t mean Lebby’s not a good person deep down. Doesn’t mean we shouldn’t hire him. Doesn’t mean he can’t be successful. It’s simply a concern of his ability to use good judgment when handling off-field / PR matters. And unbeknownst to him, he would marry into a situation that would become a PR lightning rod for the majority of his career. I certainly don’t envy him in that regard, or the balancing act he has to be able to manage between his home and work life and appearance going forward. But fair or not, he’s got to be able to handle those situations better than he has in the past.

I think it’s fine to say that and still be supportive of the hire. It’s not a black and white world that we live in, no matter how much people try to make it so.
I think you're jumping to conclusions. It might have been a PR nightmare in the mind of Castiglione, and he made it a PR nightmare for Venables, and sure, there are maybe some folks at OU who are worried about that, just like we have people here worried about that, but that's a vocal minority. Most people don't care because most people have common sense and understand the nuance of the situation.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
And this is why you're a fvcking idiot. I swear to god this is such stupid thinking. Explain to me in detail why Lebby is not a typical coach. Be specific.

And you think my question is stupid because it defeats your entire argument. If your answer is really no, then you shouldn't have an issue with any of this.
Only an idiot would need an explanation of why he's a different coach on the specific issue that he has specific baggage on.

I think your question is stupid because it frames the argument in a way contrary to the issues at play. It's not just about whether rapes increase or not, genius.

At first, I didn't think hiring Lebby would degrade any compliance efforts. But you are convincing me that it might. If he thinks anything like you do, it would. You can't staff up a campus with people who think rape claims are lies and winning is all that matters and expect a good ending.

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
Glad to know you want what's best for MSU.**
I do. You want to do this fake *** concern troll ******** and pretend like we have to further punish people who have already done their time. Screw off, Forrest. Withdraw your pitiful support if it bother you so much.

• Haha

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Only an idiot would need an explanation of why he's a different coach on the specific issue that he has specific baggage on.

I think your question is stupid because it frames the argument in a way contrary to the issues at play. It's not just about whether rapes increase or not, genius.

At first, I didn't think hiring Lebby would degrade any compliance efforts. But you are convincing me that it might. If he thinks anything like you do, it would. You can't staff up a campus with people who think rape claims are lies and winning is all that matters and expect a good ending.
And now we are at the root of this. You think that everyone who doesn't agree with you thinks that all rape claims are lies and winning is all that matters, and therefore that will enable Lebby to run interference while his players rape and pillage.

That is the bottom line. And it's why you are getting clowned by everyone in this thread. Because you're a piece of shlt.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I don’t know about losing supporters, but we are definitely losing our minds over the past. We need to realize that something such as this and the way that we handle it will never live up to everyone’s individual moral standards. You’re not going to make everyone happy so quit trying. Let them ***** as loud as they want. Exactly what do they expect to accomplish if they don’t stop bitching about things.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
And now we are at the root of this. You think that everyone who doesn't agree with you thinks that all rape claims are lies and winning is all that matters, and therefore that will enable Lebby to run interference while his players rape and pillage.

That is the bottom line. And it's why you are getting clowned by everyone in this thread. Because you're a piece of shlt.
No, I think that because of your replies in this thread. But typical of you to try to derail that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login