What’s the condition of the golf course you play on a regular basis?

DeutschRock

Jan 20, 2022
It's the John's Island area.
Johns Island is literally across the other side of the Stono River. Charleston Municipal in on James Island between the Stono River and Riverland Terrace. You literally drive on Mayback Hwy through The Muni and James Island over the Stono Bridge to reach Johns Island. Comparing James and Johns is like comparing Sullivan's to Daniel.

bayrooster

Jan 21, 2022
Johns Island is literally across the other side of the Stono River. Charleston Municipal in on James Island between the Stono River and Riverland Terrace. You literally drive on Mayback Hwy through The Muni and James Island over the Stono Bridge to reach Johns Island. Comparing James and Johns is like comparing Sullivan's to Daniel.
That part of James Island isn't much more than the golf course, which borders on Johns Island (at the river), but yeah I won't disagree with that.

Last edited:

Cackmandu

Feb 2, 2022
A couple of mid-level NMB reviews.
Eagle Nest and Beachwood: Old school layouts, fun to play, EN not so much for fader. greens are close to back from aeration/verta-cut, fairways and bunkers are above average, tee boxes can be a little splotchy from so much play this time of year. Both courses have added some bunkers, waste areas and vegetation! Beachwood reminded me of Columbia CC, I don't think I've ever seen flatter greens #1 thru #18, very scorable with no heavy wooded areas outside the rough. Not bad plays for around the $50 range.

Mar 24, 2022
Riverside Country Club in Bozeman, MT looked great yesterday afternoon. It has almost completed the transition from spring conditions to summer conditions. Greens are in great shape, perhaps just a tad slow, but that's to be expected this time of year out here. Bozeman got several inches of snow on Wednesday, so, it was just a tad on the wet side all around the course, resulting in shorter rolls on drives, but nothing bad. Just a couple of days after a winter storm, it was a spectacular sunny and 65' afternoon, leaving a green golf course against a snow-covered mountain backdrop.
Gotta say I enjoy golf as much as anybody but if I’m in SW Montana I’m on the Gallatin or Firehole.Or maybe in Ft Smith in the Bighorn.I love Montana.

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
Gotta say I enjoy golf as much as anybody but if I’m in SW Montana I’m on the Gallatin or Firehole.Or maybe in Ft Smith in the Bighorn.I love Montana.
Well, it's all about squeezing as many activities as possible into a very short summer. Some days it's golf, some days it's fishing or something else. I still have to juggle all of that with actual work so I can pay the bills. However one spends their summers here, it's a very narrow window to get it done.

Reactions: KingWard
Mar 24, 2022
Well, it's all about squeezing as many activities as possible into a very short summer. Some days it's golf, some days it's fishing or something else. I still have to juggle all of that with actual work so I can pay the bills. However one spends their summers here, it's a very narrow window to get it done.
I’m sure I feel that way cause I have access to golf here in SC year round.
Years ago a friend and I took our sons to Gettysburg.As the boys were playing soldier on the famous Little Round Top I mentioned to my friend that though the boys were too young to appreciate it,playing soldier on LRT was like playing baseball in Yankee Stadium.
When I was fishing on the Bighorn I was in Yankee Stadium.!!

Hoganman1

Nov 28, 2022
Not ordinarily the norm on a private course such as that one.

The results of becoming a tour venue.
You’re right. The whole idea behind joining a private club is to avoid crowds. MPCC was like that when I joined 41 years ago. Things have really changed in the last several years. I have senior dues and it’s less than a mile from my home, so I’m not going anywhere. Luckily, I am still able to play two or three times a week but getting tee times is like getting Taylor Swift tickets.

Cackmandu

Feb 2, 2022
Not to distract, but does anyone have any experience with a Mizuno 230 ST-Z driver and/or with a Tensei Kai'li blue 60s shaft? Asking for a friend

Anon1674955375

Jan 28, 2023
May River CC (Bluffton - Palmetto Bluff)
Greens - Amazing! True and Fast - rolling 13
Fairways - Pure - like finely mown carpet and fast
Bunkers - Coarse sand, good depth, maximum spin
Overall Condition - Immaculate

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
Just got back to Montana from our deep south road trip and managed to get in three rounds of golf.

Jennings Country Club, Jennings, LA - not a fabulous course, but it was close by where we were staying and decent enough. Other than the first three greens which almost looked like they had been vandalized, the course was in decent shape. They sure get plenty of rain there. The humidity was so thick I thought we were going to need snorkels to finish our round.

Hickory Knob State Park, McCormick - I've played it several times before and thought the conditions this time were the best I've seen from it.

The Fort Club, Ninety-Six - (formerly known as Star Fort Golf Club) We couldn't get a convenient tee time at Greenwood Country Club or Links at Stoney Point, so we settled on this one. I had pretty low expectations but was pleasantly surprised. Apparently, the new ownership changed the name of the course and are investing in improvements. They have added GPS to all of the carts, which speeds up play. It's obvious they have reworked a few tee boxes and some of the bunkers and continue to make improvements. They must be saving the cart paths for last because they were awful. Greens were in good shape. I will definitely play again when I'm in the Greenwood area, especially if they repave the cart paths. This is a George Cobb designed course (Quail Hollow and Augusta par-3) so it has good bones.

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
Just got back to Montana from our deep south road trip and managed to get in three rounds of golf.

Jennings Country Club, Jennings, LA - not a fabulous course, but it was close by where we were staying and decent enough. Other than the first three greens which almost looked like they had been vandalized, the course was in decent shape. They sure get plenty of rain there. The humidity was so thick I thought we were going to need snorkels to finish our round.

Hickory Knob State Park, McCormick - I've played it several times before and thought the conditions this time were the best I've seen from it.

The Fort Club, Ninety-Six - (formerly known as Star Fort Golf Club) We couldn't get a convenient tee time at Greenwood Country Club or Links at Stoney Point, so we settled on this one. I had pretty low expectations but was pleasantly surprised. Apparently, the new ownership changed the name of the course and are investing in improvements. They have added GPS to all of the carts, which speeds up play. It's obvious they have reworked a few tee boxes and some of the bunkers and continue to make improvements. They must be saving the cart paths for last because they were awful. Greens were in good shape. I will definitely play again when I'm in the Greenwood area, especially if they repave the cart paths. This is a George Cobb designed course (Quail Hollow and Augusta par-3) so it has good bones.
What did you pay for The Fort Club?

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
What did you pay for The Fort Club?
They gave my 17 year old son the junior rate, so I think it was $50 or $52 total for the both of us (on a weekday morning). We also split one large bucket of range balls and the total bill was $60. Compared to what we pay to play here in Montana, sometimes on marginal courses, I considered that a bargain. Compared to typical SC prices, it may be less so.

01Fatboy

Joined May 23, 2009
Jan 24, 2022
Have you played Hickory Knob before? It's typically in decent condition, but I haven't been there in a couple years. Layout wise I've never thought it very special.
arrowhead point is quite a bit better, just up the road on lake Russell.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login