What boat should I buy?

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Closing on a house on Navy Point in Pensacola soon. The boat ramp is just a couple blocks away. So I need one. I want a center console. What you buy in my situation just wanting a bay princess?

biodawg

Mar 3, 2008
Closing on a house on Navy Point in Pensacola soon. The boat ramp is just a couple blocks away. So I need one. I want a center console. What you buy in my situation just wanting a bay princess?
I’d consult the outdoor board on tigerdroppings. Those guys are very knowledgeable and will shoot you straight.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
bay boat or you planning on fishing the deep water?

for a bay boat - Pathfinder 2300 HPS - extremely well made boat and well equipped. and won't break the bank

blue water center console - if you're looking to splurge - grady-white, contender, or invincible
if you're looking to penny pinch - find an early 2000's grady-white or pursuit, and have the motor gone through and the hull inspected for osmotic blisters and cracks.

don't get one of the "combo" boats that claim to be half bay boat and half deep V. you'll end up with a boat that isn't great for either. you can still take that pathfinder out in the gulf fishing, you'll just need to go on good weather days

Reactions: Nugdawg

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I’d consult the outdoor board on tigerdroppings. Those guys are very knowledgeable and will shoot you straight.
I'll second this.

Personally I'd go Tritoon with 200HP, but I have no desire to fish offshore.

Boats and hoes for me.

boats GIF

Reactions: mcdawg22

maroontide06

Dec 14, 2023
They don’t make them anymore, but if you can find a Champion for sale (and you can afford it) get it. They are amazing boats.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
My advice is going to be different than most people’s, so take it with a grain of salt:

1) the first thing I’d worry about is who can work on your engine. I’m in a Yamaha area. Several good dealers and independent mechanics that I’d trust to work on Yamahas and treat me fairly. One independent place that can work on Mercs and they’re always backed up. same for Suzuki. I’d be hard pressed to buy something with mercs even though I don’t have a problem with the engines themselves.
2) I’d worry about electronics next. Seems like engines have gotten way more reliable and “engine” trouble is more likely to be about wiring than the engine these days. If you can find something without a birds nest in the center console, that’s a good sign. Not generally going to get a production boat with great wiring I don’t think, but some
Brands the dealers will have an option on power, and if they’re good they will do a much better job rigging it than the factory. Same on the electronics.
3) I see very few boat owners getting their moneys worth out of big name boats. Just hard for most people to justify an extra $100k or even $50k for a hot name over a production boat. You definitely have the potential to make it up on resale, but unless you have some particular insight, that’s mostly priced in on the front end.

that’s all pretty general and applies to bay or deep v boats. Would need to know more about what you want to do to make any recs more specific than that.

Something sloghtly more specific is that I think it’s easier to make a fishing boat into a satisfactory party/cruising boat than a cruising/party boat into a satisfactory fishing boat.

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
bay boat or you planning on fishing the deep water?

for a bay boat - Pathfinder 2300 HPS - extremely well made boat and well equipped. and won't break the bank

blue water center console - if you're looking to splurge - grady-white, contender, or invincible
if you're looking to penny pinch - find an early 2000's grady-white or pursuit, and have the motor gone through and the hull inspected for osmotic blisters and cracks.

don't get one of the "combo" boats that claim to be half bay boat and half deep V. you'll end up with a boat that isn't great for either. you can still take that pathfinder out in the gulf fishing, you'll just need to go on good weather days
Osmotic blister. Thanks for teaching me a new term.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
A 25 year old Boston Whaler re-engined to a new four stroke is probably a better boat than most anything you can buy new. A poor man’s Whaler is a Carolina Skiff, you can’t beat them for value. Utilitarian boat but you get a lot for your money.

Bulldogbilly

Mar 19, 2020
Get at least a 23 foot if going offshore. I had a 20 and it was always bumpy heading out no matter the wave height. Mine is a Sea Hunt 235 Ultra with 250 Yamaha. Rides great and is pretty good on gas. Agree with the posters who said get a Yamaha. Never had any trouble with mine, but every dealer around here has certified mechanics.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I’d say whatever your next door neighbor has. The one you’re going to invite over to try your signature smoked brisket and small batch bourbons while you shoot the shít about how you are each going to handle the army worm epidemic.

You can thank me later.