What is making Van Buren more successful than Shapen?...

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
We've obviously settled on 2 RB's and not playing Keyvone Lee - I think that helps the running game. Maybe we aren't trying to do much with Van Buren so the simplicity is allowing him to thrive.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Could be. I think Van Buren's just a better quarterback. He's making good decisions. He looks like he's going through progressions somewhat where Shapen would tend to tuck and run if the first option and a half weren't there. When the ball leaves Van Buren's hands, I have some level of confidence that it's going to find our guys and not the defense. I didn't have that confidence in Shapen once Week 2 started.

Reactions: eckie1 and 17itdawg

DawgsOnTheWing

Sep 26, 2012
Just him getting game reps is helping, whether in a simplified game plan or not. He makes FR mistakes, but steadily improving, I think. He made a few throws Saturday in a collapsing pocket that amazed me they even made it out, not to mention completed.

My question is in the running game. He is obviously been instructed to give himself up on runs. If he were more of a consistent threat to run it would help our overall running game. Is MVB at all a dual threat QB?

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
Is he? Shapen has a higher efficiency rating 166.9 to 125.7, a higher percentage completion 68.5%-53.5%, and more passing yards per game 243.5-158.4. Granted MVB has played against the best two teams that we have faced and I believe that he has a higher ceiling but I'm not sure that I can say that MVB has been more successful than Shapen.

Bobby Ricigliano

Jul 27, 2011
Is he? Shapen has a higher efficiency rating 166.9 to 125.7, a higher percentage completion 68.5%-53.5%, and more passing yards per game 243.5-158.4. Granted MVB has played against the best three teams that we have faced and I believe that he has a higher ceiling but I'm not sure that I can say that MVB has been more successful than Shapen.
FIFY

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
He’s really athletic- with our OL troubles, you have to have someone who can escape pressure. It’s an added bonus that he seems to be really comfortable seeing his 2nd and 3rd read.
Is he? He has 31 carries for -5 yards on the year along with 11 sacks. No doubt that he’s a step up from Rogers, but he’s far from a dual threat based on what I’ve seen so far

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
Shapen is a good QB and throws a great deep ball. Unfortunately he played games behind an OL that didn’t know what they were doing to start the season. Then he tried to do too much and took himself out. If he was still playing now, his numbers would have been great.

MVB is playing great for a freshmen’s thrown into the fire but he’s still learning and missing some throws. If he puts a couple of slants in Craver’s chest he has several more TDs. Luckily for him, he’s playing on a terrible team with no expectations so he can play with raw emotion and learn on the job. Next year is different and us fans don’t see them every day on the practice field.

we just need to be very careful not to anoint him as QB Jesus for the next 3 years because anything can happen in this crazy NIL world.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
We've obviously settled on 2 RB's and not playing Keyvone Lee - I think that helps the running game. Maybe we aren't trying to do much with Van Buren so the simplicity is allowing him to thrive.
The team likes him. Easy to see why, he's a baller

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Is he? He has 31 carries for -5 yards on the year along with 11 sacks. No doubt that he’s a step up from Rogers, but he’s far from a dual threat based on what I’ve seen so far
Will has carried 27 times for -1.7 yards this season so he's definitely more athletic than MVB.

• Haha
Reactions: patdog

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
Is he? Shapen has a higher efficiency rating 166.9 to 125.7, a higher percentage completion 68.5%-53.5%, and more passing yards per game 243.5-158.4. Granted MVB has played against the best two teams that we have faced and I believe that he has a higher ceiling but I'm not sure that I can say that MVB has been more successful than Shapen.
Yeah, this is what I was coming here to say. Van Buren may well be better than Shapen in the future, but he hasn't shown that he is right now. Van Buren is pretty bad on the short routes that should be routine passes.

I like Van Buren a lot for the future though. Count me in as one of his boys.

1729531800306.png

SchrodingersDawg

Sep 15, 2020
He's got a little bit of the"it" factor. Played Texas and Georgia back to back and didn't even flinch. It's not the big Dak "IT" factor yet, but the kid's got athletic ability and leadership potential.

Reactions: onewoof

was21

May 29, 2007
Maybe he''s just better than Shapen

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
He's got a little bit of the"it" factor. Played Texas and Georgia back to back and didn't even flinch. It's not the big Dak "IT" factor yet, but the kid's got athletic ability and leadership potential.
I’m also liking the creativity we are seeing from Lebby. That swing pass to Coleman to score from inside the 10 was a thing of beauty and not something we have ever really seen in the passing game at MSU.

I’m intrigued to see what happens when Lebby can really open it up, pace-wise and with the movement, once he has a QB he can trust to run it all. Whether that is MVB next year or a portal QB, who knows.

Reactions: patdog

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
El Presidente is simply a damn STUD! Shapen would be a great backup. MVB sees the field and processes so much better than Shapen it's crazy.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
MVB has a stiff throwing motion and minimal foot work in the pocket. He needs to shift his feet and put weight onto his lead foot and aim his body toward the target. Most times, like Shapen, he is facing the line when he releases which is probably a quicker but more inaccurate way to throw. Hopefully, he can be coached up since he is a freshmen. News flash, the fake throw after the hand off doesn't fool anybody.

Reactions: tyroid

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
MVB has a stiff throwing motion and minimal foot work in the pocket. He needs to shift his feet and put weight onto his lead foot and aim his body toward the target. Most times, like Shapen, he is facing the line when he releases which is probably a quicker but more inaccurate way to throw. Hopefully, he can be coached up since he is a freshmen. News flash, the fake throw after the hand off doesn't fool anybody.
Which is why I hated that almost every play seemingly went thru the rb’s gut first. MVB was not even threatening to keep it. It caused just enough of a delay that Elko crashed from the ends in the 2nd half and basically shut us down.

I’d be interested to see if he will get MVB out of the pocket more and have him throw on the move

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login