What is the Best Golf Course in Mississippi

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Not to mention that bridge has been there forever and is likely never inspected for structural integrity.

J-Dawg

Mar 4, 2009
Not to mention that bridge has been there forever and is likely never inspected for structural integrity.

Nope. As a young lad, we'd:

1) Full steam ahead onto bridge
2) throw cart into neutral on descent
3) Pray

Muttley

Aug 22, 2012
Golfweek just released their list of top 100 public courses in the U.S. and Mossy Oak was #40 on the list.

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/lists...022-top-100-u-s-public-access-courses-ranked/

You have it listed as #5 in the state and barely anyone on this thread mentioned it. I was really excited to play it on my next trip to Starkville - whenever that may be.

Is it overrated?

I played it about a month ago. It was good course, but I was a little underwhelmed based off the hype I had heard about it.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
No votes for votes Sonny Guy Municipal in Jacktown? The bums on the course would sell you a plastic bag of golf balls in the middle of your round.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Please someone list the worst in Mississippi. That's interesting to me. And get photos lol.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I've played Golden Bear in Saucier, Old Waverly, The Oaks and Azalea in Pearl River. All are excellent course but I would give the edge to Grand Bear. I'm interested in what others think.

I hacked up all of those except Old Waverly.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
And BARELY hold it between the rails. Same. And see how far we could skid slamming on the brakes at the bottom. That hole will make a person who hits it right look really good on occasion.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
The Oaks and The Bridges on the coast are fun too. When we played the Oaks they had Hooters girls driving the beer carts.

TheStateUofMS

Dec 26, 2009
I was extremely fortunate to have a grandfather who was an original or near original member at Annondale and I got to start going out there learning golf at the age of 10. Every so often I get to go back and that place is amazing. My grandfather knows the yardage on every sprinkler head. I got to play or caddy with my grandad's group at a few other places like Country Club of Jackson if Annondale was ever closed and I admit I'm biased but Annondale is the best.

That place is special. There's some incredible holes on that course.

TheStateUofMS

Dec 26, 2009
$190 green fee it say son their website for regular season. Is that right? That's insane.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
I never played there because I wasn't that important or that good but I spent some time there and it was a classic. The only course at that level that I ever played was Dancing Rabbit. It was beautiful and kicked my ***... loved it.

I had more fun on lesser courses playing with my friends for beers or best ball rounds with 2-4 redneck buddies on a team. The best time I had was on a private course in southern Alabama where our best player and leader took a 9 hole course and redid the tees to make a 18 hole course. It would never make a PGA course but us hillbillies had a great time because most of us sucked which made best ball groups less pressure and the most fun. You also got a mulligan for every two beers you drank.

God that was a fun weekend.

This, in my opinion, is the best (only?) reason to play golf.

Golf is a "sport" where you can get shitfaced drunk while driving around in a beautiful setting with your buddies . . . not a care in the world, at least in those moments.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
$190 green fee it say son their website for regular season. Is that right? That's insane.

I suspect there is always a special of some sort. But that's not really out of line for a course like that. I assume they offer some reasonable deals for locals but know people traveling to play it will be willing to pay.

Fallen Oak and the Preserve are about $200 peak season as far as their sticker rate. Old Waverly tops out at $210. Not sure how many people ever pay the sticker rates at any of those places.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login