What is the coolest thing you ever did on campus as a student?

Herbert Nenninger

Feb 9, 2019
The Friday Crew team from the BSU wasnt too shabby either in co-ed softball! But mine was from 02-04
I was on those Friday Crew teams. And headed the Regulators men’s team for two years. Had some darn good men’s teams, but never won it. Only intramural championship was in tennis.
I watched the flag football team at the regional tourney in Hattiesburg one year. They lost to some guys in their 30s from some junior college in Louisiana. Apparently they each took a class just to be able to play intramurals.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I was on those Friday Crew teams. And headed the Regulators men’s team for two years. Had some darn good men’s teams, but never won it. Only intramural championship was in tennis.
I watched the flag football team at the regional tourney in Hattiesburg one year. They lost to some guys in their 30s from some junior college in Louisiana. Apparently they each took a class just to be able to play intramurals.
It wasn't Southeastern Louisiana was it? They were back to back national champs when we were playing, which would've put them in their 30's about that time.

elvis76

Oct 15, 2022
A couple of years after graduation had seats on row 2 behind the visitors team (basketball). Would have been around 1980-82 timeframe. Was hacking the LSU coaches, all good natured, no profanity. Specifically talking about one of their players who had basically mugged one of our guys. Totally pissed off one of their assistant coaches to the point of him yelling at me and asking me questions. He did not like one of my answers so he threw a towel at me. The crowd around me was cracking up laughing, including my Dad who I brought with. I asked him if I had said anything out of line and he just laughed and said "not a thing". Great moment. Unfortunately it was just a white gym towel, not and LSU towel.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I had to meet with the dean of the business school and then the provost for calling Susan Lehman retarded (back when that wasn't a complete dirty word around 2000 or so) in front of the whole class for telling us to use clip art and 3d WordArt in our PowerPoint decks to make them look more professional in Business Communications.

I was not wrong... She singlehandedly set the businesses school back a full tier with her dipshittery.

A-Brief-History-of-Clip-Art-End-2200x1409.png

dstatechamps

Oct 15, 2006
Yep - should’ve mentioned we also won coed every year too… We were the one BSU team you didn’t want to play.
We did that, but in softball. Around '98 or so. We only lost two games that year, both on walk-off homeruns in the bottom of the seventh. Good times......

Football? Not so much. Played one of the frats out there once. We lined up on defense and they called an audible. Did not end well for us.

Jacknut

Sep 29, 2022
Ran down from the stands and jumped the bushes to get on the field after we beat Bama in 1996. Touched the goalpost as it left the field on the way to fraternity row. Unfortunately, wasn't a student - all the cool (stupid) things I did as a student happened off campus.

Reactions: TXDawg.sixpack

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Here for the stories.
I drank deeply from the well while matriculating, as I'm sure we all did. So I'll keep the drunk late night adventures to myself, but I do have a couple of nice campus-related memories:

- My GF at the time and I were walking around late one night and stumbled upon a quaint, quiet little body of water in the middle of nowhere. We weren't sure where we were, but we were sure we were alone. We laid down and made sweet passionate love (for at least several minutes) under a tree on the banks of the water... only to find when we got up that a small crowd had gathered to cheer us on. That's when I learned that Eckie's Pond was actually a fairly well known spot right there on campus. She was mortified, but of course I felt like a hero.

- I was playing tennis with a buddy one afternoon, probably just avoiding class, when this older gentleman strolled up and started watching us. Tall guy, had to be 6'7" or so. He asked if he could hit with us. I thought that was hilarious, this old geezer wanting to try to hang with us bangers. He introduced himself, "Bailey Howell, nice to meet you". I thought I had heard the name, but wasn't sure who he was at the time. Long story short, he kicked our young asses up and down the court. Ran me all over the place. The dude was a pure athlete, even at what I guess was about 50-something then. Looking back, he wasn't nearly as old as I thought he seemed at the time.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I was working at the MSU golf course one summer and Jackie Sherrill was a regular. He had dropped off his golf cart that he used at practice for someone to fix it. It had "Bonnie's Buggy" written on the front. We had a local high school kid working with us who asked if he could tinker with it. Sure enough the next day he had the thing running again. next time coach came in we had him drive it up to surprise coach. Sherill is very appreciative and the kid holds his hand out as if he is expecting a tip and Jackie just slaps him a high five. Later that day (It was a slow day) Jackie comes driving back in and sees us on the driving range. I have a terrible swing so Coach Sherill hops out of the cart and starts coaching me up. As he tells me how to hold my shoulders he hammers them with his fists. He tells me to freeze my follow through and then adjusts it, each movement with the ferocity of an O-lineman hitting a sled. It improved my swing for a day or so but I was so bruised up I hurt for a few days later.
That’s hilarious because mine is a Sherrill on the course story too.
After work one summer afternoon me and a buddy went to go play an emergency nine. We were on nines fairway , well my friend was on one, waiting for some guys to clear the green and I hear a ball splash in the lake. Then I hear another one and look back at a single in a cart on the tee box thinking maybe he’s just hitting shag balls in. Then he hits again and the ball bounces 20 yards away from me. I yell at my friend this ******* is going to get it. He rolls up and it’s Sherrill. So of course I don’t say ****. He asks if he can play up with us and I say of course. My buddy rolls off the back of the green, I hit it in the trap, and Sherrill puts it on the back of the green. We hop on the cart and she ask us if we are students. Said yes, but my buddy is a Bama fan, Sherrill says that’s why he hit that ****** shot. I hit my bunker shot to 5 feel and pushed the Par putt. Sherrill starts coaching me on the putt saying if I’d listen to him I would have made a par. I asked him What did you make on this hole again? He said Wanna play it again for $500. I say coach that’s 2 weeks salary for me, that’s 2 hours for you and he laughed. We hopped on the cart and we rode back to the parking lot, he asked my friend what size shoe he wore because he was playing in Birkenstocks. He popped open the back of his Escalade and there were at least 10 pairs of Nike spikes still in the box. All 13.5. Chris said he’s an eleven but thanks for the offer. I don’t know why I didn’t just say I’ll take s pair coach. Just to have. He said I’m out here a lot in the summer evenings so I’d love to play with you again. Never saw him on the course again.

ForDale3

Nov 16, 2022
All in the same night:

1. Snuck onto the football field
2. Made it to the roof of Swalm
3. Found an open door at the Hump and proceeded to walk onto the court and into the men’s team locker room
Ya know it’s almost like I did the same thing. Crazy

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
-January '82 big snow and ice storm, lots of sliding down the hill in front of Suttle on whatever would slide, i.e. lunch room trays, red round Coca Cola sign from a convenience store, and the best was a bunch of football players on a naugehyde couch w/ the legs taken off.
-January '85 snow again, power off from Thrs to Tuesday. We nailed some old boots to a piece of plywood, slip your feet into the boots and pulled people behind roomies old Toyota 4WD down behind what was then the old laundry, now the post office "swamp lot"
-Suttle haunting was a myth, I spent so many all nighters in that place if there was something I would have seen it.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
Drank a 12 pack and smoked Marlboro lights with friends in upper deck west side of Scott Field one cold January night in 1991. We sneaked in drunk and walked what seemed like forever to get to the top.

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
I was with you then. I remember walking around engineering row trying to find a chop saw. That whole day was epic. After the game ended, a male OM cheerleader hit one of our photographers. Sluder retaliated with a 1 punch KO. Then my buddy broke his leg when the goal post came down. In the middle of that, I ran up to the players hoisting up the EB trophy. Turns out the MSU calendar the following year had me and a bunch of Olineman celebrating with the trophy. Then I rode part of the goal post out of the stadium and proceeded to find a shop with a chop saw.
I was on that south goal post crossbar when it came down. Drunk as hell. Felt like I was getting trampled when it hit ground. Lost my fold up cell phone that night. Called University police the next day and they had found it.

Reactions: aTotal360

BrunswickDawg

Aug 22, 2012
Was center stage for the Allman Brothers show in '94. Spent the night talking with Dicky Betts and got a guitar pick at the end of the show.

Snow storm in '92 we bought wheel barrow from Walmart, took the wheel and handles off, tied a ski rope behind a Toyota pick up and "skiing" all over campus.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Since I worked for campus policy as a dispatcher as a student, I got to stand on the sideline every home game.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Ozarkdawg

Apr 1, 2017
Had a neighbor that worked in the football office. She got Jackie to sign a bumper sticker that said "Jackie Sherill in NUTS for education!"
Actually got to meet him once in his office. There were clowns.

Rice was a women's dorm at the time, best not to go into details about visits spent there.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
One more I wanted to add…. We lived at College Station for a couple of semesters, and anybody who experienced that can probably vouch for the party culture there. If your door was open and the music was on, anybody was fair game to drop in and hang out with basically no questions asked.

We had a 3rd floor apartment, so we usually could sleep a little better than most when we wanted to. However, we lived directly above Horatio “Big Train” Webster and, I think, Tyrone Washington (or some combination like this). They’d be cranking up the bass on any given weeknight at 3 AM…

One weekend, we had the door open drinking beer and playing foosball…. People were dropping in and out. Then, all of a sudden, Big Train and his crew walk in…. Without even thinking about it, me and one of my buddies said “ALLLLL ABOOOOAAAAARRRDDD!!!”. They played a little foosball, had a beer and then moved on to the next place. But, that was a really cool moment.

Except when I wanted to sleep or study, College Station was awesome.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
+1 for the concrete block outdoor racquetball courts with no roof. I figured I was the only one who had played on those.
Not a lot of play off the chicken wire roof! I always chuckled at the fact that the racquetballs could be returned if they failed before the writing wore off. That might be OK for a normal court, but those cinder blocks and chikenwire wore the writing off in about two swats.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Was center stage for the Allman Brothers show in '94. Spent the night talking with Dicky Betts and got a guitar pick at the end of the show.

Snow storm in '92 we bought wheel barrow from Walmart, took the wheel and handles off, tied a ski rope behind a Toyota pick up and "skiing" all over campus.
'92 storm. ski rope, 4wd tacoma, knee board, near death experience

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
1. Drove the Raspet Flight Lab ground test vehicle to career day on the drill field. I think it was a 60's Buick stripped down to the frame and painted gray. It had two seats. Driver of course facing forward and the passenger facing backwards to monitor instruments and whatever experiment they were doing. It looked like a moon buggy. As I was driving it back to Raspet in the pouring rain, I stopped on the drill field in front of the library and asked some girl if she needed a lift. She just stood there in the rain with a WTF look. Wish I could find a pic of that thing. I drove it for miles and miles up and down the runway while they were doing experiments.
2. Got called for goal tending in McArthur during an intramural game. I argued with the ref and just before he threw a T on me, I stopped arguing and asked him if he was going to tell his friends that he called a 6 foot tall white boy for goal tending. He didn't know what to say but the call stood. Actually, he may have been right. I could jump back then.
3. Made the cover of the basetball program with a friend. That pic also made it to the Reveille and the student recruiting magazine.
Two chicks at the same time. Really, one chick while that one performed on the other

• Love
Reactions: eckie1

STATEgrad04

Mar 3, 2008
Ok, I have read this thread and thought about MANY experiences that I will never forget. I have rushed the field after wins, held a football for Mario Austin and Z while Austin tried to teach Z how to kick a field goal (Austin played in HS and wasnt half bad at kicking), etc etc...but the one experience that I keep coming back to is this....

Walking into the Hump for a random basketball game that I dont even remember who the opponent was, I see Jack Cristil leaning against the wall outside smoking a cigarette. I tell my crew that I will meet them inside, and proceed to walk over to Jack. I walk up and introduce myself and say what a pleasure it is to meet him...He says "well son, its a real pleasure to meet you as well" in his gravely grouchy voice. I say that I am about to ask him a really random question. He responds with "well, this is your university isnt it, what is it?"...I tell him I would love nothing more than to smoke a cigarette with him and chat for a few. He looks at me and says " Hell son, I could use another one myself." and we stood there for the next 5 minutes just talking about the college in general. For nostalgic reasons, this one weighs heavier for me.

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
Made out with two coed roommates on the same day. One was a 4, the other a 7. In my defense the 4 had melons the size of cantaloupes, so I don't feel bad about it.

Bobby Ricigliano

Jul 27, 2011
I was with you then. I remember walking around engineering row trying to find a chop saw. That whole day was epic. After the game ended, a male OM cheerleader hit one of our photographers. Sluder retaliated with a 1 punch KO. Then my buddy broke his leg when the goal post came down. In the middle of that, I ran up to the players hoisting up the EB trophy. Turns out the MSU calendar the following year had me and a bunch of Olineman celebrating with the trophy. Then I rode part of the goal post out of the stadium and proceeded to find a shop with a chop saw.
Pretty sure the ankle was broken at the Arkansas game in 98.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
One more I wanted to add…. We lived at College Station for a couple of semesters, and anybody who experienced that can probably vouch for the party culture there. If your door was open and the music was on, anybody was fair game to drop in and hang out with basically no questions asked.

We had a 3rd floor apartment, so we usually could sleep a little better than most when we wanted to. However, we lived directly above Horatio “Big Train” Webster and, I think, Tyrone Washington (or some combination like this). They’d be cranking up the bass on any given weeknight at 3 AM…

One weekend, we had the door open drinking beer and playing foosball…. People were dropping in and out. Then, all of a sudden, Big Train and his crew walk in…. Without even thinking about it, me and one of my buddies said “ALLLLL ABOOOOAAAAARRRDDD!!!”. They played a little foosball, had a beer and then moved on to the next place. But, that was a really cool moment.

Except when I wanted to sleep or study, College Station was awesome.
I went Sessums>fraternity house>college station>university commons>little london (yes that's 5, I took a victory lap), and without a doubt College Station was the most fun off campus place to be back then. Good good times.

• Love
Reactions: eckie1
Aug 8, 2022
Streaked the Drill Field with some buddies and Phi Mu-s
Played football in the clogged drain ampitheater during Katrina
Made "Bad dawgs" a few times
rushed the field vs Florida 2004
in attendance for losses vs. Troy and Maine
got laid on the roof of frat house
stole license plates of other frat and stood on their front porch to pose for pictures
chugged vodka in the parking lot with freshman roommate before graduation
1677086596653.png

BrunswickDawg

Aug 22, 2012
I went Sessums>fraternity house>college station>university commons>little london (yes that's 5, I took a victory lap), and without a doubt College Station was the most fun off campus place to be back then. Good good times.
My first night in Sessums, we were awoken by a loud engine rev and the sound of metal crashing. Looked out our window over the back parking lot to see that a truck had tied a chain to the back door and yanked it open. The obviously inebriated truck owner had left his ID in his room so he couldn't unlock the back door, which led to the truck being used to open the door and break the magnetic lock. In true Sessums form, the door was not fixed for the entire school year and no one needed their ID to enter from that point forward. Sessums was a downhill ride from that point on. I lived in Sessums, a boomerang, and a frat house and Sessums was by far the most out of control of the 3.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
While David Wade was being expanded (1986, upper deck), we snuck into the stadium and climbed to the very top before the seats were installed. Did the same thing at the Superdome when waiting for the game to start vs Tulane. Yes, both were done while in the band, specifically the drum line. First one was during “drum camp” which is a week before band camp.
DId the same thing one night with a friend. We were on bikes and left them parked by the stadium. Came down and bikes were gone. Went over to security and reported bikes stolen. Officer got this snide grin on his face and I knew we were busted. Just got a warning.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Worked in university archives in library. Got to meet a lot of university and political leaders of the time. Also got drafted with another guy to don old A&M cadet uniforms for a photo shoot in Alumnus magazine. Also spent a lot of time in the archives 'cage' in the stacks. Where they stored all kinds of msu memorabilia and historic items such as every Reveille ever published, every game program and media guide for every sport, every graduate thesis or dissertation published among other things.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
+1 for the concrete block outdoor racquetball courts with no roof. I figured I was the only one who had played on those.
I played on those things once or twice. Chicken wire roof. Concrete floor with unpainted cinderblock walls. Any body part that made contact with them looked like they had tangled with an angle grinder.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Still waiting on some old dog to say “ wrote State 6, Bama 3 in wet concrete on sidewalk between Harned Hall and post office”
Nope. But the week after the game I did inscribe it for posterity inside the closet of my Suttle Hall dorm room. It lasted 30 years until becoming lost to the ages.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012

Had a couple of those snow weeks in my time (80-86). First time was about 82. Snowed after registration the night before classes were to commence and stayed a week. Lived in Suttle right across from hernia hill which was the main sledding venue. Saw an ambulance picking up someone there at least once a day for the entire week. One was a friend of mine who hit his head on a parked car. The second snow week was during grad school in 84 or 85? By then I was living off campus so I got out of dodge & left the winter sports to the younger crowd.

Reactions: TXDawg.sixpack

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
DId the same thing one night with a friend. We were on bikes and left them parked by the stadium. Came down and bikes were gone. Went over to security and reported bikes stolen. Officer got this snide grin on his face and I knew we were busted. Just got a warning.
Security had spot lights pointed at us, but we were on foot so got away. lol

Jul 5, 2020
I started thinking about this and it brought back waaaay too many memories.

1. Amateur mycology at South Farm, which made me underestimate the market availability in the larger world after graduation.
2. Stormed the field several times, but my favorite was probably Florida 2000. It was bedlam on the field and I got grabbed going over the rail by a security guy, who then came over the rail on top of me. We both got up with no major injuries, looked each other in the eye, and high fived.
3. Not on campus, but I was at the Harvey's bar in Columbus in 1998. JWS came in around 4:00 p.m. We shared a few whiskeys, then he ordered steaks. He ducked out around 9:00. Didn't talk football for a minute other than him talking about Keffer McGee since I lived in the same complex then. Like Jackie before, loved him after and since.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login