What was the most 'different' class you ever took in college....

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
A similar question was fielded on T&L yesterday. Thought it would be an entertaining one to ask the board.

Mine was not terribly different but it was 'The history of sports in America'.

Lot of people took it thinking it would be just 'names and games' and a piece of cake. Turned out to be a pretty challenging upper level history course.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Physical Science for Elementary Teachers. I took it for the sole reason of meeting girls. Largely struck out there but had one of the best instructors of my whole college career (wish I could remember his name), he did lots of interesting, simple experiments/demonstrations that really brought the concepts to life. It was in the broadcast meteorology building.

Last edited:

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Didn’t really take anything unusual or different except maybe Interpersonal Communication. Really fun class.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Speech under Hank Flick was the pinnacle of available classes in my day.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Wine Appreciation… I felt like I learned some cool stuff.

was21

May 29, 2007
My last semester as a senior was summer school. I was looking for an "easy" course as an elective. It turned out to be geography. It was tough as hell and almost failed it.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
The easy answer for me is the World War II: Anglo-American Alliance class I took while a grad student at Southern Miss and in the summer British Studies program.

I've mentioned it before but the Normandy trip was amazing.

The most different class I took at Mississippi State: That's a difficult choice... Dr. Zacharias taught a communication leadership class I loved, Dr. Radvanyi taught classes on Russian history as well as a specialized one on the Soviet Union, & Keehley's Philosophy of Law class was amazing.

The most different class I wish I took and regret not taking: Vine's Wine Appreciation class.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
If Nancy McCarley hasn’t explained to you what running a train is, you’ve missed out

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Volleyball, signed up thinking it would be all girls in short shorts. So did 20 other guys and one female, who was also looking for the girls in short shorts.

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
Karate. It was a 1 hour class. It was way more effort than it should have been mainly because you had to make it all the way out to the Sanderson from engineering row.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Radar Theory - graduate course taught by Frank Ingels. He was an expert on Russian radar during the cold war. We would often get to class only to find a note on the door that he was not going to be there that day. He got flown out often on things that were not discussed. The note would also contain the time of the makeup class. It was not negotiable and it was often a Saturday, after he got back. Famous for giving "The Marlborough Man" probability problem. I was also in a class called Stochastic Processes at the time so probabilities were less trying than they might be today. A lot of rust to knock off...

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Routinely hoofed it from Butler to Simrall back in the day. 10 minutes was doable but you had to be moving to make it!

Grove Sh*tter

Aug 25, 2014
I had Landscape Architecture Appreciation as a fine art elective. It was in a big auditorium lecture hall in Dorman. You had a new proctor every 2 weeks. It was designed to be an easy A.

About halfway through the semester, a tough nut grad student was set to teach. He assured everyone that he, unlike the other teachers, would be taking roll everyday.

A voice from the mass of students arose: "you take roll?"

Teacher: "yes, I do."

Voice from middle of crowded lecture hall: "17 YOUUU!"

The thunder that faceless dude brought with that 17U was extraordinary. It pretty well took the piss out of the tough nut, and I don't think he took roll, which would have taken half the hour anyway.

Herbert Nenninger

Feb 9, 2019
Beginner guitar. Had no musical experience and I couldn’t read music, so I came up with a numbering system to help me read the notes (#leftbrained).

Also, writing for biologists. Mainly involved writing essays on certain hot button science topics. We all read and graded each other’s papers, and that was a big chunk of our grade. Thought it was a novel idea until I read enough papers to realize how many juniors and seniors in college had 5th grade grammar skills. And the topics were politically charged, so people would give u a D or F because they didn’t like your view. Turned out to be a very frustrating class.

DAWGS1.sixpack

Feb 15, 2007
Football and Basketball Officiating.
Landscape Architecture 101
Wasn’t in the ROTC but took a semester long course in the ROTC building- learned a lot about the inner intricacies of the military and went on a weekend long drill out past the Refugee and Starr Memorial Forest.
Cool ****!!

SwampDawg

Feb 24, 2008
Comparative Economic Systems. Took it as an elective. For some reason the subject matter rang a bell with me, and the prof (forget his name) made it come alive. One of my few A's I made. Recommended it to some friends and after a couple of weeks they dog cussed me like never before.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Try Giles to McComas in 15 minutes with Google Maps saying it’s an 18 minute walk.

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
Routinely hoofed it from Butler to Simrall back in the day. 10 minutes was doable but you had to be moving to make it!

I was in computer engineering so I took the same route as you. My walking pace is still pretty quick and I honestly think it’s because of having to make that walk in 10 minutes.

CagerMania

Feb 27, 2008
History of the Bible. Fascinating to read it from an historical/non religious perspective. Made my personal religious perspective a lot better informed. Also was taught in Cobb. Never had a reason to go in that building otherwise.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Interviewing with Hank Flick. He was such a quirky and effective teacher.

Second to that was a turfgrass class where our quizzes were everyone standing around in a circle, looking at various weeds, and writing down their Latin and common names.
It worked- I still know what Sibara Virginica looks like 20 years later and I havent even see that plant in person in almost that long.
I am 95% sure I had Dr Goatley for that class. Shortly after, he took a job at VaTevh.

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014
I took a guitar class for an easy 1hr credit, so I could have 15hrs and be safe in case I had to drop something.
Ironically, that was the same year that my band opened up for Dash Riprock at Ricks, so it was sort of funny. I did learn a bit about reading sheet music though

BrunswickDawg

Aug 22, 2012
My advisor told me that my final semester schedule was one of the best he'd ever seen:
Golf
Wine Appreciation
Mississippi History
Photography
And Philosophy of Religion

Feb 23, 2008
Can’t remember the class but I know it was in McCool and the professor looked

like Santa Claus. Not sure of the age range of anyone here but I took his class in about 2002 or 2003. Can’t remember his name nor the name of the class but definitely an experience and an easy A. Anyone remember who I’m talking about?

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
Took Construction Management as a free elective. I was a Business Management major and thought it might be interesting. It was much more challenging than I expected. Definitely not fun for someone with no previous engineering courses or experience.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Looks like most of you fellas never had the chance to see Clyde Q Sheely crawl through a transom window.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
17th Century Prose and Poetry. One of the electives available instead of Shakespeare. I graduated with a double major in English and Communication - Broadcasting. Communication for a career and English simply because I loved it.

grinnindawg

Aug 22, 2012
International Security and Strategies. From Dr. Radvanyi and another history? professor.
Dr. Radvanyi did maybe 4 lectures. The rest were professors from across the university.
Dr. Radvanyi started a story "Nikita Krushchev told me story one time...." hard to beat that
Scary biology prof who several times said "I could make a pathogen that would fit in a ping pong ball that could kill everyone in a small city".
Philosophy prof that was excellent.
Head of ROTC on campus.

For somebody in EEng it was very cool. Unfortunately it was more work than I'd hoped. Dr. R graded the papers, the tests were an eclectic mix and not too hard. Small group discussions were interesting. Dude in ROTC thought we could use tactical nukes against the Soviets. Couldn't understand why there is no such thing as "tactical" when both sides have them.

grinnindawg

Aug 22, 2012
Dr. Ingels was the best professor I had. Only took Comm Theory, wish I'd taken more.

Quote from the first day of class after doing an L-sit between the table at front and the first row: "I will give a letter grade to anyone in this class who can hold this pose longer than I can".

Quote while handing out exams: "I will give a letter grade to anyone in this class who can find me a P40 warhawk in working condition for less than $100k".

bbqbully

Sep 14, 2008
An Ag Engineering class, Internal combustion engine technology. Final exam was rebuilding the engine in the instructor’s lawn mower.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login