What was the most 'different' class you ever took in college....

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Philosophy was a weird one at state. Instructor was weird as **** but all her tests were open note snd she posted class notes. So never had to show up except for tests and the required amount.

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
I took philosophy of science with Keehley. There were 5 of us in the class so we met in the seminar room in the philosophy building for 3 hours one evening a week. Keehley would have about an hour and a half of material prepared based on the reading. Then he'd send one of us out to get him a coffee. He'd disappear with his coffee for a few minutes to his office, and when he came back the smell of the bourbon he poured in there was pretty overpowering. That's when the class got real interesting, got to hear about some of his crazy cases, etc.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Geowriting was a hard course but probably learned more from that class than others.

Planetary Geology was interesting. Not very useful though at least in my career so far.

History of US Foreign Diplomacy. Loved that class. A lot of insight as to why the US was involved where and how we handled business in the background. Interestingly enough taught by a Brit.

Mobile App design at USC. Hard as **** with No Java background at all.

G-Dawg

Sep 6, 2012
A similar question was fielded on T&L yesterday. Thought it would be an entertaining one to ask the board.

Mine was not terribly different but it was 'The history of sports in America'.

Lot of people took it thinking it would be just 'names and games' and a piece of cake. Turned out to be a pretty challenging upper level history course.

I had a similar course but it was a sociology class entitled "The Sociology of Sports"...I remember doing my big final paper on the Super Bowl and the sociological impact of the commercials that played during the game. Was very interesting.

LandDawg

Sep 1, 2009
Ornithology. The lab met once a week at 6am in the Spring semester. Most were spent in the field and it was usually freezing. A lot of people learned the hard way that you can’t tromp around Noxubee NWR, at daybreak in February, in tennis shoes and a windbreaker.

G-Dawg

Sep 6, 2012
BEST class and most useful class that I ever took was Interviewing under Dr. Flick. Still use his wisdom to this day. And the Flick'isms were just downright amazing. We've discussed these on this board years ago when he passed away. "I see the bus from Pearl just arrived." or "He hit that sucker like a W girl at the buffet line."

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I took College Algebra three times. The third time I got a C. I had two F's. I took Trigonometry once got a A. I took Calculus once and got a B. Algebra was tough. I guess because I did not take any highschool Algebra and the class was in Allen Hall with about 100 students with a Grad Student teaching it. The other two classes the teacher was Professor with a smaller class. Probably 25 or so students. Plus I was a veteran and the Professors really helped me out.

Last edited:

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
You should have taken a Dance class like I did. It was 20 women and me. Did date 3 of them.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
My philosophy professor was weird as hell too. He once told us in class if he cooked a good meal for he and his boyfriend then he would have to go rub one out in the bathroom from the euphoria of the food.

dawgatUSM

Apr 6, 2008
I took a class called “social movements” and the whole thing was about the KKK and Black Panthers. I’m sure if I took it today it’d have some BLM and Proud Boys flavor to it. It was an interesting class but I don’t know that I really gained anything from it

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
Not that “different” but Writing for Engineers with Embree was very difficult. He hated engineers.

I got an A in that class somehow, and I think it ultimately was one of the most useful classes I took, even if the professor was a dumbass who liked giving tests and THEN teaching you the material.

braddog30

Mar 28, 2017
I’m going to mention 2 classes:
1. Meat Processing- NWJC (1978)...We actually slaughtered the animals and processed the meat. Good class, learned some valuable information. I was an Ag major.
2. Western Equinetation (I give up on the spelling)...anyway, it was a 2 hour credit class where we rode horses (mine was named Shifty). I believe that we met in class 1 day a week and the other day we met on the south farm to saddle and ride. I really liked the class.

Last edited:

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Speech under Hank Flick was the pinnacle of available classes in my day.

I had him for a class called Interviewing but it should've been called How To Think & Act Properly... Dumbass.

Learned so many valuable lessons just about how to behave, act, and talk in a all situations of communication. I can't even remember at all but it was fantastic.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Damn. Thats wild. Ours would invite us to her home to drink hot beer and talk philosophy. I never attended. I didn't want to understand someone or get to know anyone that likes hot beer.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun

Jan 9, 2016
Would love to have taken a class under Dr. Radvanyi. Keehley was a 17ing dickhead. Funnest, most useful class was Flick's Interviewing. Hardest were Plants 1 & 2 under Lester Estes. Took both the summer of '96. Those were two miserable summer sessions but glad I got them out of the way.

Last edited:

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
That would be retailing with Mike Goree, probably one of the nicest humans to walk this earth.

baddawggy

Jun 12, 2018
Ornithology. The lab met once a week at 6am in the Spring semester. Most were spent in the field and it was usually freezing. A lot of people learned the hard way that you can’t tromp around Noxubee NWR, at daybreak in February, in tennis shoes and a windbreaker.

I had Ornithology under Dr. Jackson in the late 70's. I will never forget him putting me in a den of buzzards at Noxubee and having to record feeding times. The mosquitos and stench were unbearable i did this for a week. i did enjoy my travels with him as we were on a quest for the red cockaded Woodpecker as we traveled Ga and South Carolina.

xxxWalkTheDawg

Oct 21, 2005
like Santa Claus. Not sure of the age range of anyone here but I took his class in about 2002 or 2003. Can’t remember his name nor the name of the class but definitely an experience and an easy A. Anyone remember who I’m talking about?

your description is of Noel Addy. Unless you are a absolute whiz at intermediate accounting, or he taught something I don’t know of, that’s not who you are talking about.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Radvanyi was wonderful.

I also had Flick’s Interviewing class and it’s been very useful.

Keehley was a blast. Philosophy of Law was by far the most intellectually demanding and at the same time entertaining class I had — and I made a C in it.

Considering I was taking 20 hours that semester and had to walk from that class at the auditorium in Giles straight to Hill’s Persuasion class in McComas in the next class period, I didn’t mind that 2.85 I got that semester one bit.

squintdawg

Jun 4, 2003
I told a few….

History and Appreciation for Art ls and Crafts - This was supposed to be my art elective. We did everything from pottery, to wood carving to stained glass to webpage design.

Floral Design - I found out my last semester that my Art-Craft class didn’t count as my art. This class was the only one to fit my schedule. Had to do a floral arrangement every week - which was always interesting to walk across campus with (you had to keep them to take a picture of for a book).

Lifeguarding - PE elective where you essentially just got your lifeguard certification.

Small Group Communication - this was one of Dr. Flick’s classes. He was a strange dude and not easy - but one of the best professors on campus. Had to do a “norm violation” - so I took a shower in the garden department at Walmart. Those who took the class will remember this part of it.

I got my moneys worth!

Dawg1969

Aug 22, 2012
Heard that Clyde Q story from my dad. Would not give a quiz unless he came in through the transom. Think he did it too.

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
Don't remember the exact name but it was "Flight Basics" or something similar. Taught you everything you needed to know for the ground part of your private pilot license.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Insurgent Warfare and Football Strategy taught by Leach and Michael Baumgartner. Today at Old Main Wingo Auditorium.

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
Not that “different” but Writing for Engineers with Embree was very difficult. He hated engineers.

There was so much angst and enough people complained about that class that in 94 or 95 they started allowing substitutions. Several classmates took a course at USM over Christmas break and then the next semester they allowed us to take writing for teachers instead. We had several ChemEs taking that class. It was a cakewalk and you would have thought the world was ending with the way some of those education majors bitched and moaned. Literally, one of our assignments was to go eat at Pap's Place and observe then write about the atmosphere.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Can’t remember the class but I know it was in McCool and the professor looked like Santa Claus. Not sure of the age range of anyone here but I took his class in about 2002 or 2003. Can’t remember his name nor the name of the class but definitely an experience and an easy A. Anyone remember who I’m talking about?

He looked like Santa and played Santa. Mike Goree. Dude had a license plate that said 'HO X 3' at some point.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Never took either of these classes but my brother took Ballroom Dancing which is pretty self-explanatory and there was also Western Equitation which is essentially horseback riding.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I had "Ag Mechanics" in the early 80's. It was a couple weeks of brick laying, couple weeks electrical wiring, couple weeks gas welding, arc welding, basic framing construction, internal engines, roofing, french drains, etc, etc. Turned out the be very useful. It was behind the oldest building on campus (Twin Towers A&E bldg) gravel parking lot in a few big old metal military quonset huts put together. Coldest building on campus in the winter, hottest any other time of year.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Jackson's grad students all carried extension ladders on their vehicles....

I had Ornithology under Dr. Jackson in the late 70's. I will never forget him putting me in a den of buzzards at Noxubee and having to record feeding times. The mosquitos and stench were unbearable i did this for a week. i did enjoy my travels with him as we were on a quest for the red cockaded Woodpecker as we traveled Ga and South Carolina.

To, as Lew Brown (microbiology prof) used to say, 'shinny up trees and count woodpeckers'.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
That's it. Interviewing. Loved his stories about watching late night BET. His one-liners about dubya women serve me well to this day. Especially since my wife graduated from there. One of my favorites was "What are 3 things you need to pick up women at The W? Hot wings, Selsun Blue, and a fork lift."

mh715328

Aug 22, 2012
Intro to Leisure taught by Mr. Glen Young...very tough class to get into for non PE majors. It was as glorious as it sounds.

Feb 23, 2008
Definitely a great guy and sharp as a tack. I'll never forget our first day. He

had everyone introduce themselves and tell where they were from. Most everyone was small town Mississippi and no matter what town they said, he had a background story. He knew things about my hometown 2 hours from Starkville that I'd have sworn no one would know that wasn't from there.

FISHDAWG

Dec 27, 2009
for me it was Great Orators and their philosophies .... and it wasn't exactly fascinating, enough said.

3407Dewey

Jun 4, 2014
I took Keehly's Philosophy of Law class almost 30 years ago and I still remember vividly his spectacular insults lobbed at various students in the class (including me). The "A" I earned in that class may have been the toughest from my undergrad years.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I enjoyed having him. Bert Nail was probably my favorite. Joe Picone was right up there but he was a relative newcomer (Speech Recognition, DSP, Neural Nets) and has since left to lead EE at Temple.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login