What would you advise PSU students on 10 things to experience at PSU?

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
I hooked up with the daughter of a Penn State professor my senior year. She was game for anything, and we made it a point to get together at several landmarks on campus. At each of our classrooms, the Forum, Nittany Lion Shrine, the stacks in Pattee library, Rec Hall, and Beaver Stadium. She was great.
But, did you night putt with her? Mitch did with the daughter of the Dean, and no reason you can't do the same.

TheBigUglies

Oct 26, 2021
It's interesting but I thought the Arts Festival was more of an Alumni thing? At least it was for me.🤷‍♂️
I was in an apartment in the late 80s and a bunch of us drove up early Saturday morning(you know after the bars closed in Philly at 2:00 AM - we had a good friend that was not a drinker that drove) of Arts fest and took in Arts fest and the partying(some frats had bands playing outside and we ran into a good friend from Philly playing at one(ATO I think it was)). We stayed thru Monday because trying to leave town on Sunday back then was even worse than it is these days Sunday morning after a football game on 322.(Back then it was still 2 lanes I think to down past the Lewistown narrows and getting to I-80 was 2 lanes as well).

Reactions: bbrown

Zenophile

Oct 7, 2021
LOTS of sage suggestions. Here are mine (some of which are degrees of variation on those above).

1.Listen to the advice us old folks are giving about the primacy of the academic mission of your time at Penn State. You will not regret this.
That said, ...
2. Find a way to spend at least one full summer as a student in State College (what follows can be taken as summertime advice).
3. Fulfill your Exercise Science class requirements at this time.
4. Take photos; be judicious about the ones you share publicly/on social media.
5. And heaven forbid you should elect to go swimming in Shaver's Creek after dark:
  • if nothing else, wear proper footwear, and
  • be certain that both are securely fastened.

Last edited:

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
1-10- Study.
I’d go to homecoming at my non-PSU college and like clockwork three to five former students would mention that they wished they’d studied harder.

If I were starting all over again I’d make sure to do each and every one of the exercises in my math textbook. It’s what math majors are supposed to do.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
I agree with the sentiment, but then what if she becomes attracted to you, and now you have to break her heart and tell her you don't want to see her again.
You’d have to make sure she understood where things stood before starting. If you’re not in an relationship, you have to have a mutual understanding that for the moment it’s just a one-night-stand. Easier said than done. (I’ve never had an one-night stand.)

Reactions: FHSPSU67

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
  1. Get a minor. They are so easy to get as long as you plan ahead from the start.
  2. Take BLaw 243. If I were king for a day, I would make this a mandatory class for every student. It covers some basic legal principles such as basic contracts, leases, property liability, etc. Things that you will be dealing with for the rest of your life no matter what career path you choose.
  3. Every year, calculate how much you are paying per lecture. Write it down and think of that amount every time you feeling like skipping class.
  4. Get a part time job and stick with it for your four or more years at Penn State. It is always good to have a reference that can attest to your work habits. If your family is well off, pick a local charity and volunteer on a regular basis for four years.
  5. Take advantage of the Centre For the Performing Arts and the various student productions, shows, lectures, etc. The CFPA used to have a student discount day early in the Fall semester.
  6. Get one credit card, and one credit card only. Use it occasionally and never max it out.
  7. Move off campus for at least one year and learn how to cook. Real food. Try and master at least one dish.
  8. If you have access to a car, get out and explore the surrounding area. State parks, farmers markets, farm stands, Grange Fair, etc.
  9. Buy a good umbrella.
  10. Make your own coffee.

gianluca1

Dec 9, 2021
Those lists are all great and couple comments...

Based on my age many of the great things I experienced are no more. Granted, most of them involved alcohol but - Briarwood Bash, Phi Psi, Original Moving On, Sy Barash Regatta, drunken ordering stromboli from Vesuvios, and Ponies at the Skeller.

I'd disagree with those who talk about not getting hooked up early as my wife and I met at PSU and we both enjoyed PSU tremendously.

Somebody said about studying harder but I got couple degrees and that's all well and good but nobody cares about your GPA after your first job - which usually sucked anyway.

Basically, don't be dick, set some boundaries, have some fun and don't take yourself too seriously.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I was broke in college and didn’t have a good sense of everything available to me. My parents didn’t go to college and were woefully underprepared to send me. They supported me
the best they could and I worked Work Study jobs in between classes. I was introverted and quiet - loved going home when I could. What I would tell my kids is explore, take chances, be kind, study, join a club, study abroad, learn another language, be helpful, volunteer, find something to be passionate about, become an expert on/at ‘something’, travel, be curious, stop and breathe…. You can do all of this at Penn State and I regret that to a large degree I didn’t. I never climbed Mt. Nittany, never did any bar crawls, didn’t do any Skeller pony bottles, didn’t join any clubs, etc. I went to football and women’s volleyball matches and maybe ate at the creamery twice. Fun times….

Kristen Bell GIF by VakantieVeilingen

Last edited:

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Drink or smoke dope, one or the other, at any one party. Don’t mix and match. It was bad enough 40 years ago but with today’s prevalence of liquor as opposed to beer, and the super potency of today’s weed, you best plan wisely.

And for women, never drink the punch.

ChandlerPearce58

Jun 24, 2024
It has been nearly 45 years since my graduation..... not sure many of my memories are still available...along with all those mentioned i would add take classes during a summer session (so few students) and go to a wrestling match at Rec Hall!
Also a snowball battle in the East Halls quad!

JohnJumba

Oct 7, 2021
Fish for trout on the prison grounds.

Put a goat or cow or something in a womens dorm.

Tie a gump nude in the quad to something.

Slippies, flood the hallway, soap it down, and slide nude.

Plotchie (aka plotchit) battle, throw wet toilet paper at each other.