What's the max salary you would pay Arnett?...

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I'm thinking $3 million.
The way I look at it is that in 29 games, special teams has lost us games, an anemic offense has lost us games, and turnovers has lost us games, but I can’t find a single one that you can put on Arnett’s defense.

They’ve consistently been anywhere from adequate to downright salty for 3 years, and considering what Arnett has to work with, it blows my mind when people want to pick apart his defense as if it’s this team’s weakness.

I don’t know about a number, but we need to keep him happy.

Last edited:

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
The way I look at it is that in 29 games, special teams has lost us games, an anemic offense has lost us games, and turnovers has lost us games, but I can’t find a single one that you can put on Arnett’s defense.

They’ve consistently been anywhere from adequate to downright salty for 3 years, and considering what Arnett has to work with, it blows my mind when people want to pick apart his defense as of it’s this team’s weakness.

I don’t know about a number, but we need to keep him happy.

he should be the second highest paid football coach on campus and probably the third or fourth highest paid coach on campus period. Higher that all the other sport head coaches outside of baseball maybe and mens hoops.

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
That’s a great question, but $3 M sounds high. I’m not sure what the highest paid DC is this year, but Venables was his last year at Clemson and he was making around $2.5 M.

Reactions: vandaldawg

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
I'm thinking $3 million.
I’ll be honest. That’s the least talented side of the ball (including special teams) and it is the side getting the most consistent results. The ball control air raid certainly keeps them fresh.

Im thinking Arkansas is going to be able to wear us down like LSU though. Defense isn’t talented or deep enough to keep us in games alone.

Reactions: preacher_dawg

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
he should be the second highest paid football coach on campus and probably the third or fourth highest paid coach on campus period. Higher that all the other sport head coaches outside of baseball maybe and mens hoops.
Yep. The Dude's smart and rolls up his sleeves and does good work based on what he has to work with. He simply gets the damn job done. How many times have we seen STATE shut out a ranked SEC opponent for the 1st two quarters? He's only gets into trouble when our offense goes limp dick looking like a mule trying to impregnate a washing machine with 3 and outs lasting 52 seconds. (At least that's what my wife said).

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
The way I look at it is that in 29 games, special teams has lost us games, an anemic offense has lost us games, and turnovers has lost us games, but I can’t find a single one that you can put on Arnett’s defense…
Arkansas last year.

But no doubt Arnett is a good one. Pay him what we have to pay him to stay.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Outside of Sirmon, our defense has always been pretty good. Hope it stays that way now that all the signing class fillers are offensive leaning players, but I’m not gonna lose too much sleep if Arnett leaves. But for kicks and grins, let’s pay him more than the A&M defensive coordinator just so we can point and laugh at them for being poor.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I love Arnett, but he also has it good here too. Leach makes it easy on his defense with the ball control air raid offense he runs.
When the air raid is clicking, I don’t necessarily disagree, but I could go find a minimum of 7-8 games during Leach’s tenure here where the offense most definitely did not make it easy on our defense

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I'm thinking $3 million.

Just give him a middle of the road sum of what both coordinators would make put together at an Auburn, Arkansas, etc. We’re already not paying for an OC, so the money should be there.

Brew_Dawg

Jun 29, 2018
Give him $3mil, but make his buyout $6mil if someone wants to poach with a waiver if he gets a HC job at a P5 school. If he gets a HC job, that school has to buy all alumni a beer if we ever play against them.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

BIG_SLEAZY_DAWG

Aug 24, 2012
2.6 Million with a clause where he can make 75K every game we beat an SEC opponent and hold them under 21 points.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Bump. I'm thinking maybe a little north of 3 million. We would have lost to Ole Miss and Auburn definitely. Remember, against Auburn - they had 4 drives that started inside our 40 with 3 inside the redzone.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Reactions: ThreeDawgNight

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
2.5 million minimum. I don’t know if he’s head coach material but he’s definitely responsible for 2-3 wins this year.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

Mayor of Little London

Dec 26, 2016
$3M with a sizable buyout.
leave coach in waiting on the table though for future negotiations, and an actual AD in place with a little time to have been around him enough to evaluate him for the actual job.
Keep him happy and make it hard for him to leave. The big schools could overpay and cover the buyout if they wanted but it would still help there and it would take the HC at mid-major out unless he just really wanted the challenge enough to take a pay cut.

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
Coach Arnett could work as head coach exactly like it does with Leach. Arnett coaches his side of the ball and brings in a young offensive coach to coach offense. Arnett leaves the offense alone just like Leach leaves the defense alone.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
But, he loves it here. I don't think he'd leave for many jobs.
I’m not disagreeing, but why do you say this? He has applied for a lot of job openings since he’s been here. I don’t remember if that was after 2020 or 2021 season.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
I’m on the $3M bandwagon. We aren’t paying for an OC so the money is there and we are winning games through defense. Like stated above his recruiting needs to pick up but with assured stability I think it will.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

Joe Schmedlap

Aug 11, 2010
2.0 million is about right, but 2.5 would not be unreasonable at all given his overall job performance. If he were bringing in better recruits, I’d agree on something above 2.5 million. But, the honest answer is - whatever it takes to keep him happy and in Starkville for another year. We need continuity. His defense has consistently been a helluva lot better than Mike Leach’s offense.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
$3M is equivalent in 2022 terms of $375,000 a win. Not bad for a day's work. His compensation package should be a base salary plus bonus and should be modeled after the blue blood school contracts. Of course, most posters say we are to poor to compete but that's what it will take to run with the big dogs.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login