Who, if any, would cause you to think about crossing the line from what you would normally vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I almost made the mistake of voting Hood in the 2019 Gov race. Then look what transpired in 2020.

Regardless of the person, whatever letter is beside their name, they are in lock step with that party's policies.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Real talk: Both parties have become such extreme versions of who they were 20 years ago that the first one who comes back to the middle even a little bit will win by a landslide.

I mean.. just going further left or further right ain’t winning more votes than you’ve already got.
Have the parties moved, or have voters moved? It's an interesting question.

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
I don't know a TON about Tulsi Gabbard, but when I hear her speak she doesn't seem to be drinking the Kool-Aid, she's actually served our country as a member of the Army Reserves (and served in Iraq), and is able to construct a reasonable argument as to why she believes what she does.

She's also pretty damn hot and has that whole GI Joe Baroness / Morticia Addams vibe going on, and I'm kind of weird like that.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
First quality - younger than 60. Preferably someone on the millennial line.
Ha, I had forgotten the name and got busy and couldn’t look it up. But honestly I’d be alright with a millenial, or a very young Gen Xer. Someone who has ideals.

Tired of boomers.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Real talk: Both parties have become such extreme versions of who they were 20 years ago that the first one who comes back to the middle even a little bit will win by a landslide.

I mean.. just going further left or further right ain’t winning more votes than you’ve already got.
Real talk: the people that say the Dems have moved "far left" the last 20 years......were saying the same thing 20 years ago, and 20 years before that.

Real talk: the Dems are a center to center left party. The GOP is a far right party. And those that just have to view both of them as equally "off center" just can't accept it.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I had to laugh when I got accused of being a liberal back during COVID. I'm a Reagan Republican. That looks like it leaves me without a party at the moment.
Nah, we thought you were a selfish boomer who wanted everybody else to wear masks and stay home, while you got to keep working. Your politics don’t matter.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Ha, I had forgotten the name and got busy and couldn’t look it up. But honestly I’d be alright with a millenial, or a very young Gen Xer. Someone who has ideals.

Tired of boomers.
Fair enough. The youngest Baby Boomers are about 60, and the very oldest Millennials are about 43 - leaves a large gap of folks.

Which, being forgettable is kind of Gen X's thing...

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
Interestingly, I looked at Kamalas record today, and one of the few things she is known for is (as AG of Cali) for dropping charges against first time, non-violent offenders that completed job training. Teach a man to fish....

Also, the Biden Admin started enforcing anti-trust, after decades of the Executice ignoring it.

Is this the right Anon account? Because you sound like me right now.
Same guy. Waiting on On 3 to give me back "Cantdoitsallie".
Team Biden issued too many tons of new regs for me including hammering energy and Natural Gas Exports. Regs thwart start ups and small bidness and big bidness willingly pays and complied to stifle competition. I'm all for leniency as long as they haven't maliciously harmed physically or stolen somebody's schit. Like Trump did with the crack dealing granny from Bamer.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Nah, we thought you were a selfish boomer who wanted everybody else to wear masks and stay home, while you got to keep working. Your politics don’t matter.
So much for keeping it civil. I'm not going to respond in kind.

Last edited:

TNDawg1

Oct 21, 2023
Real talk: the people that say the Dems have moved "far left" the last 20 years......were saying the same thing 20 years ago, and 20 years before that.

Real talk: the Dems are a center to center left party. The GOP is a far right party. And those that just have to view both of them as equally "off center" just can't accept it.
There’s no “far left‘ when I talk to Nashville liberals. We recently had a bunch of moving trucks show up transporting what looked like a neo-Nazi group. I mean people filmed them getting back in the box trucks after they did a march through. Of course city halllost its collective ****, folks grandstanded, all well and good. BUT….

We also had a penis version of the Oscar Mayer wiener mobile drive all over town with fetish afficianados hanging all over it. We had a San Antonio attorney / trans activist do a “kids are into kink” spoken word performance at City Winery. Not a word from city hall. No coverage of those events. No ‘far left‘ in the media

dudehead

Jul 9, 2006
I had to laugh when I got accused of being a liberal back during COVID. I'm a Reagan Republican. That looks like it leaves me without a party at the moment.
Me too. Reagan was the first POTUS I ever voted for. And I voted for HW Bush too. When the Rockefeller Republicans began fading, I did too. It's hard to find fiscal conservatives who are somewhat liberal on other issues like gay marriage and abortion (my abortion stance is really that of the mainstream Baptist/Methodist/Presby churches of the 1970s). So be it. Maybe I'm just stuck in that time.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Same guy. Waiting on On 3 to give me back "Cantdoitsallie".
Team Biden issued too many tons of new regs for me including hammering energy and Natural Gas Exports. Regs thwart start ups and small bidness and big bidness willingly pays and complied to stifle competition.
fair enough. I think regulation is very necessary, but i agree that in some ways they favor big business. That's one reason I don't mind taxing Big Business: they have built in advantages, so it levels the playing field a little.

Reactions: Dawgg

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
There’s no “far left‘ when I talk to Nashville liberals. We recently had a bunch of moving trucks show up transporting what looked like a neo-Nazi group. I mean people filmed them getting back in the box trucks after they did a march through. Of course city halllost its collective ****, folks grandstanded, all well and good. BUT….

We also had a penis version of the Oscar Mayer wiener mobile drive all over town with fetish afficianados hanging all over it. We had a San Antonio attorney / trans activist do a “kids are into kink” spoken word performance at City Winery. Not a word from city hall. No coverage of those events. No ‘far left‘ in the media
Anecdotes not being data aside, I was speaking of the national party. I'm sure each side has its enclaves that deviates from the national.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Gerrymandering has made it so that to get a start in politics you have to adhere rigidly to the base of whoever controls the district. Gerrymandering needs to be outlawed but both sides LOVE those safe seats. It has destroyed the center.

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

I'd like to believe this, but Biden has a voting record, of decades, as a moderate, the left does not care for him, yet I still voted party the last two elections (i.e I was sucked into the party machine and not really paying attention to much else).

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
If anyone is to vote based on their conscience, then you cannot vote for either of the 2 parties we have been offered lately. Vote Libertarian just out of pure spite for the system we have in place, its great. Maybe in 200 years it will make a difference lol.
Yes, I'd like to agree with onewoof here. I think it's a great path for all the conservatives on the board to really show your spite... especially the conservative sixpackers in Georgia, North Carolina, Virginia, the greater Southwest, and the Rust Belt. Really stick it to the man!

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I'd like to believe this, but Biden has a voting record, of decades, as a moderate, the left does not care for him, yet I still voted party the last two elections (i.e I was sucked into the party machine and not really paying attention to much else).
Well, Biden did win an election in 2020 that many people thought was a runaway for Trump.

This time around (you and most won’t agree), but Trump is probably more center than Harris. Real talk. And he will probably win, up right now.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
Here’s the thing about Trump. At least he is an outsider. The swamp thing is real. He did a poor job of draining it last time. But in theory he actually might try. Whereas these career politicians are just part of the machine. I’m tired of career politicians. Also I did not vote for Trump in 16 because I wasn’t sure what to think of him. I did in 20 because it was obvious then that Biden was dementia riddled. I can’t in good conscience vote for anyone involved in Biden’s admin because they were in on putting a puppet nursing home patient in the oval.

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
I’m a true liberal just like George Washington was. Let me do what I want within the confines of bare bones laws, institute a small government that doesn’t need much money so we are taxed little and have state’s rights first. Anyone and their friends fit that description I’ll vote for all of them.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Same here. i have been left behind on a national level. On the state level I am forced to vote democrat for most races, other than Mee Maw Ivey. The blatant and open corruption in Montgomery is just more than I can tolerate.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

3407Dewey

Jun 4, 2014

Buddy, I actually agree with a lot of what you post here, but this just is simply not true. If it were, Biden would have been ahead in the polls. He ran (in 2020) as a moderate but governed as a leftist. Between immigration and gender ideology alone, the Democrats are far out of step with most Americans.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Buddy, I actually agree with a lot of what you post here, but this just is simply not true.
I disagree.
If it were, Biden would have been ahead in the polls.
No. This assumes perfect information. The counter is that the media doesnt impart perfect information.
He ran (in 2020) as a moderate but governed as a leftist.
he ran as a moderate but was seen by voters as a leftist. See above.
Between immigration and gender ideology alone, the Democrats are far out of step with most Americans.
Polls say otherwise. The Dems are to the right of the general public, let alone their own party. Of course, this is ignoring our republic's built in tilt toward conservative policy, due to the Senate and Electoral College.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I think the voters have moved left, the democrat party has moved left as fast or faster, and the republicans have moved left more slowly than the voters.

Republicans have stopped pretending to be the party of limited government. They have gotten better about the 1st amendment (although granted like when the left championed it, a lot of that has to do with being on the losing end of discriminatory practices; but still, used to be considered a leftist/liberal value) while the left has more or less abandoned it. They've moved left on gay marriage and marijuana legalization. They are still pretty big on foreign intervention, although a little less so; not sure which direction that points. I don't think they've moved much either way on being the party of law and order outside of niche issues like marijuana? I don't think they've really moved on immigration? I think they've gotten suckered enough on "reform" that they are less likely to get suckered unless they just want cover to increase immigration. I don't think they're actually less open to compromise if there was a way to get credible commitments. They have more or less held the line on abortion; have they actually moved to the right? It's been so long since it was an issue for voters that I'm not sure. I don't think they've really moved much on conservationism v. environmentalism? They have gotten more consistent in treating the 2nd amendment as a constitutional right, which I would think is considered moving right and the one issue I can think of where they both moved to the right and have actually been effective. Have they moved right on taxes? They have been good about cutting taxes but they've also made the tax code more progressive overall. Not sure if that should be considered moving right or not.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I'm still waiting for my party to put up a candidate worthy of my vote.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Young, center left at the state level. I'm a center right guy who wants conservatives on the Supreme Court because conservatives are more likely than liberals to surprise you with some decisions. I'm also the type of conservative who is a "will y'all slow down" kind of guy. Change, for the most part, should be slow, measured and based on reality and not some moralized ideology that ignores how nice sounding policies can often lead to awful outcomes (defund the police and the murder spike in some major cities that lead to several thousand poor black people being shot and killed).

I've voted Dem in state elections because southern Dems are reasonable. Jon Ossoff of Georgia is a liberal I like and respect. He's not some SJW moral exhibitionist but someone who understands that good policy can help those in need and there's nothing wrong with expecting government to do some things to help citizens (FYI, I'm not a libertarian). I liked John Bel Edwards in Louisiana. I thought Amy Klobuchar was a good candidate in the last election, she's just Midwestern practical, but she got caught up in the rational reckoning around George Floyd.

I also thought Bill Clinton was fine, nothing wrong with loving the ladies, and Barack Obama was good enough as president outside of a few issues. I'm not a Trump fan but I"m not voting for Kamala or any Dem this cycle. But if a Dem wins, my life will go on and I plan to enjoy it. I like political discussions but I honestly don't get too bothered if the team I vote for loses. There's always another election. I've been known to dish out a few things to some on here, and they've gotten in a few licks as well, but I also think it's silly and childish to dislike others because they don't share your political views.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I think the voters have moved left, the democrat party has moved left as fast or faster, and the republicans have moved left more slowly than the voters.

Republicans have stopped pretending to be the party of limited government. They have gotten better about the 1st amendment (although granted like when the left championed it, a lot of that has to do with being on the losing end of discriminatory practices; but still, used to be considered a leftist/liberal value) while the left has more or less abandoned it. They've moved left on gay marriage and marijuana legalization. They are still pretty big on foreign intervention, although a little less so; not sure which direction that points. I don't think they've moved much either way on being the party of law and order outside of niche issues like marijuana? I don't think they've really moved on immigration? I think they've gotten suckered enough on "reform" that they are less likely to get suckered unless they just want cover to increase immigration. I don't think they're actually less open to compromise if there was a way to get credible commitments. They have more or less held the line on abortion; have they actually moved to the right? It's been so long since it was an issue for voters that I'm not sure. I don't think they've really moved much on conservationism v. environmentalism? They have gotten more consistent in treating the 2nd amendment as a constitutional right, which I would think is considered moving right and the one issue I can think of where they both moved to the right and have actually been effective. Have they moved right on taxes? They have been good about cutting taxes but they've also made the tax code more progressive overall. Not sure if that should be considered moving right or not.
Future is blue, whether any of us like it or not. It's just what shade we want it to be. Trump may make a lot of people feel good, but at the end of the day, the real reason people vote for him is because he helps make them money - NOT some Lee Greenwood proud to be an American routine. Insert any other Republican into office right now, Dems slaughter them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login