Who, if any, would cause you to think about crossing the line from what you would normally vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Well, he was a Democrat till quite recently. He even contributed to Hariss' campaign when she ran for AG in California.
Trump on abortion a few years back.

October 1999: 'I am very pro-choice'

In an interview on NBC News’ “Meet the Press,” Trump said, “I am very pro-choice. I hate the concept of abortion. ... I just believe in choice. Again, it may be a little bit of a New York background, because there is some different attitude in some different parts of the country. ... I was raised in New York and grew up and worked and everything else in New York City. But I am strongly pro-choice."

Asked whether he would ban any abortion, including “partial-birth” abortion, Trump said: “No. I am pro-choice in every respect in as far as it goes. But I just hate it.”

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Republicans and conservatives need policies to help young people form families. Caring for children make people conservative all over the planet. Ditch the libertarian economic policies in favor of market-based policies that are pro-family formation. That includes taking on the health insurance industry and health care industry so that it's not so expensive to have kids. Also, it's time for some smart, young Republican leaders who aren't influenced by the shoutdown, owning the libz culture of talk radio and social media.

Our elected leaders are old. That needs to change. Nancy Pelosi is 84. Mitch McConnell is 82. The current US elected leaders are the oldest they’ve ever been in history. One third of our senators are in their 70s or 80s. About 47% Americans are under 40, but only 3.5 per cent of congress members are. Old people have tired, old brains, mine certainly doesn't process information the way it did when I was 30, and the world is too complex for some of them. It's not just Biden who needs to step aside.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Medicare at age 60. We need to take care of Seniors and Veterans. Cheap Energy. Law and Order. Close the borders and prosecute criminals. Minimal unemployment benefits for those able to work age 18-60
Seniors are the biggest recipients of government-run social welfare programs. We essentially have a federal system that redistributes money upward to the elderly, an incredibly wealthy demographic.

Reactions: Boom Boom

FormerBully

Sep 2, 2022
Me and my friend from work had an interesting conversation the other day. If Trump decided to change parties and run as the democrat nominee, how many blue and red states flip? Would MAGA go blue?

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Yes, I'd like to agree with onewoof here. I think it's a great path for all the conservatives on the board to really show your spite... especially the conservative sixpackers in Georgia, North Carolina, Virginia, the greater Southwest, and the Rust Belt. Really stick it to the man!
My vote is meaningless where I live. In battleground states, I see your point.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I voted for W over Gore.
I would have voted for McCain over Gore or Kerry.
I don’t think there was anybody that the Republicans could have put up that would have made me vote against Obama, but McCain moving right and picking up Palin didn’t help him. When he brought in Palin, it went from “I’d be okay with McCain” to “I must actively help defeat him”.

I’m not sure who I would vote for from today’s Republicans. All my favorite Republicans are either old (like Richard Lugar) or dead (like Dwight Eisenhower).

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
My vote is meaningless where I live. In battleground states, I see your point.
Same. I live in Texas. We’ve allegedly been the next big battleground state for the past 20 years, but it’s never materialized.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
I had not voted for a major party Presidential candidate since 1996. But then, I lived in pretty solid Red states, anyway. I voted in 2020 because I thought it mattered.

Assuming Harris will be the nominee, then both parties will be running people I cannot imagine voting for under any circumstances whatsoever.

And yet, people seem excited to vote for them. The sudden wave of support for Harris has me particularly baffled, as I have come to understand MAGA (I think).

But, hey, I guess that's why ice cream comes in Chocolate AND vanilla.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

In an interview on NBC News’ “Meet the Press,” Trump said, “I am very pro-choice. I hate the concept of abortion. ... I just believe in choice. Again, it may be a little bit of a New York background, because there is some different attitude in some different parts of the country. ... I was raised in New York and grew up and worked and everything else in New York City. But I am strongly pro-choice."

Asked whether he would ban any abortion, including “partial-birth” abortion, Trump said: “No. I am pro-choice in every respect in as far as it goes. But I just hate it.”
So many can not and will not ever understand this mindset.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010

Just pointing out that what you call “a few” is actually 25. He was clear where he stood currently when running. A lot democrats were against gay marriage in the 90’s.

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
fair enough. I think regulation is very necessary, but i agree that in some ways they favor big business. That's one reason I don't mind taxing Big Business: they have built in advantages, so it levels the playing field a little.
To be honest I detest opinions that claim more taxes will cure our debt because my research shows that not to be true. Economic growth is the only way outta the cluster 17 we're in. When revenues to the Treasury increase after tax cuts (and yes mostly for the rich) the screams from the left about how much they cost is a head scratcher to me. Solyndra was a subsidy, not Exxon writing off exploration expenses. Open Borders , inflationary policies and forcing green energy before it's competitive harms the poor the most. Hard sell on today's Dems

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Same. I live in Texas. We’ve allegedly been the next big battleground state for the past 20 years, but it’s never materialized.
All the Democrats leaving CA have moved to CO and AZ. The Conservatives have moved to Texas, Utah and other states like them. CO use to be a solid red state. Now it is solid Blue.

Reactions: Anon1704414204

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I voted for W over Gore.
I would have voted for McCain over Gore or Kerry.
I don’t think there was anybody that the Republicans could have put up that would have made me vote against Obama, but McCain moving right and picking up Palin didn’t help him. When he brought in Palin, it went from “I’d be okay with McCain” to “I must actively help defeat him”.

I’m not sure who I would vote for from today’s Republicans. All my favorite Republicans are either old (like Richard Lugar) or dead (like Dwight Eisenhower).
My first time voting I voted for Espy. The only time I have ever voted for a Democrat. I voted for him because his wife and my mom knew each other and were friends. It was when he ran for the House of Reps. I grew up in Madison County.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

A quarter century is not 'a few years back'. Come on now. That quote is from a time when Napster was popular, y2k was coming, and Trump hadn't been on The Apprentice.

Trump put the justices in that directly led to where we are now as a country on reproductive health- Roe overturned, states banning IVF and discussing IVF bans, and reduced reproductive health access.
He has made his view known very clearly, despite what he said 25 years ago.

^ I am not complaining about where we are right now, I am simply providing a recap of where we are and it is directly due to Trump's SCOTUS selections.
...well McConnell refusing to fill a vacant SCOTUS seat is another reason.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Here’s the thing about Trump. At least he is an outsider. The swamp thing is real. He did a poor job of draining it last time.
Trump isn't an outsider- he has had an 8 year long tight clench around the GOP's nuts and the party is now whatever he wants it to be at any given moment.

You are correct- he did a horrible job of draining the swamp, because it should be clear that he never intended to.

Trump is more of a politician than any politician I can think of. He is as transactional as it gets and is happy to hold whatever view or position he needs to hold, in order to gain and retain power.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
A quarter century is not 'a few years back'. Come on now. That quote is from a time when Napster was popular, y2k was coming, and Trump hadn't been on The Apprentice.

Trump put the justices in that directly led to where we are now as a country on reproductive health- Roe overturned, states banning IVF and discussing IVF bans, and reduced reproductive health access.
He has made his view known very clearly, despite what he said 25 years ago.

^ I am not complaining about where we are right now, I am simply providing a recap of where we are and it is directly due to Trump's SCOTUS selections.
...well McConnell refusing to fill a vacant SCOTUS seat is another reason.
Hey man, you’re not giving the great RBG her due. Without her playing politics with her seat, Trump doesn’t get to replace her. Obama should’ve replaced her. I’m thankful it worked out the way it did.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I would cross the aisle and vote for a Republican if their immigration platform was well formed and comprehensive, if they recognized a Federal Education Dept is needed for what should be obvious reasons, and if they ignored the outrage issues that stir up the base but only impact a few and are blown out of proportion.

Someone like that wouldn't be popular enough though, because stirring up the base with outrage = 'involvement' now.

Reactions: ckDOG

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Hey man, you’re not giving the great RBG her due. Without her playing politics with her seat, Trump doesn’t get to replace her. Obama should’ve replaced her. I’m thankful it worked out the way it did.
True, she stayed way too long.
But when a Congressional leader just makes up a reason to not confirm a SCOTUS nominee, would it have been any different if she had stepped down sooner?

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
True, she stayed way too long.
But when a Congressional leader just makes up a reason to not confirm a SCOTUS nominee, would it have been any different if she had stepped down sooner?
Yeah, she should’ve stepped down 7 years earlier, she held out hoping Hillary could pick her replacement. Terrible gamble for her team.

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
Please don't be a jerk and get it locked. I am just curious. For me, Machin of West Virginia would be the only close one, even though I still don't think I would cross over. I am generally curious about the rest of you.
If there is actually a moderate Republican alive, you know, like Ronald Reagan (almost a liberal in todays party) , I’d slightly consider it.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Well, Biden did win an election in 2020 that many people thought was a runaway for Trump.

This time around (you and most won’t agree), but Trump is probably more center than Harris. Real talk. And he will probably win, up right now.
This is so insane it has to be trolling. Bait better, Goat.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
To be honest I detest opinions that claim more taxes will cure our debt because my research shows that not to be true.
I would love to see this "research".
Economic growth is the only way outta the cluster 17 we're in.
true.
When revenues to the Treasury increase after tax cuts (and yes mostly for the rich) the screams from the left about how much they cost is a head scratcher to me.
The economic cycle is not solely determined by tax rates. Do you hold to the reverse (always a good test)? If Dems raise taxes on the rich and taxes and the economy go up, do you in hindsight support those tax raises?
Solyndra was a subsidy, not Exxon writing off exploration expenses.
solyndra was an investment, the kind we have to make to beat China. It was the only one that did not pay off, and that only because economic conditions caused raw material prices to flip which ruined their niche. Their product worked. Those that cite it show they get their opinions spoon fed to them by Fox.
Open Borders , inflationary policies and forcing green energy before it's competitive harms the poor the most. Hard sell on today's Dems
I am against immigration, partly because I think it does harm workers. It does grow the economy however.

The Dems have not had inflationary policy. Our inflation through this cycle has been the lowest in the 1st world.

Green energy subsidies instead of big oil etc is looking pretty dang good to those of us not in the Fox bubble.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Medicare at age 60. We need to take care of Seniors and Veterans. Cheap Energy. Law and Order. Close the borders and prosecute criminals. Minimal unemployment benefits for those able to work age 18-60
I think you should be able to draw Social Security and have a full-time job making as much at age 62 and not have the income affect your Social Security.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Real talk: Both parties have become such extreme versions of who they were 20 years ago that the first one who comes back to the middle even a little bit will win by a landslide.

I mean.. just going further left or further right ain’t winning more votes than you’ve already got.
This is it! Not sure why they think they will lose their base but the base seems to talk the loudest all the time rather that the center

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login