Will MSU football ever recover?

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
With NIL, transfer portal and our inability to keep up with the rest of the SEC, is our football program toast? I know that sounds alarmist but think about it. We are not going to get a talented enough roster, and that means we will not get & keep a talented enough coaching staff. It just snowballs from here, each successive disastrous season just digging the hole deeper & deeper. Fans lose all interest...stop going to games. Alum who are willing to give eventually give up and stop caring as well.

What players would want to come here so much that they don't care about money and don't care about getting coached up by a staff that might help them get to the NFL? What coaches would want to coach here knowing they have almost no chance to compete for talent, etc.?

I knew in my bones NIL & loosened transfer rules would be really bad for us. Mike Leach gave us a puncher's chance due to being able to have some success with a less talented roster, winning enough to attract players who felt his system offered a better chance to put up big numbers, etc.

Did our football program die with Mike Leach? If the rules stay the same or get worse, I just get the feeling we are done.

Reactions: HRMSU and 60sdog

tenureplan

Dec 3, 2008
With NIL, transfer portal and our inability to keep up with the rest of the SEC, is our football program toast? I know that sounds alarmist but think about it. We are not going to get a talented enough roster, and that means we will not get & keep a talented enough coaching staff. It just snowballs from here, each successive disastrous season just digging the hole deeper & deeper. Fans lose all interest...stop going to games. Alum who are willing to give eventually give up and stop caring as well.

What players would want to come here so much that they don't care about money and don't care about getting coached up by a staff that might help them get to the NFL? What coaches would want to coach here knowing they have almost no chance to compete for talent, etc.?

I knew in my bones NIL & loosened transfer rules would be really bad for us. Mike Leach gave us a puncher's chance due to being able to have some success with a less talented roster, winning enough to attract players who felt his system offered a better chance to put up big numbers, etc.

Did our football program die with Mike Leach? If the rules stay the same or get worse, I just get the feeling we are done.
As long as we rip off the bandaid, we will be fine

KingBarkus

May 1, 2006
We can recover quickly. Barry Odom took the UNLV job, one of the worst programs in the NCAA for 25 years, last year. He is 7-2 in his first season! He came in with enthusiasm, drive, determination. It can be done.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
Don't be ridiculous. With a good coaching hire, we'll be right back to winning 6-9 games per season. Of course, with Keenum and Selmon in charge, odds of hiring a good coach are pretty slim.
Pre-NIL & transfer portal I would agree. I don't think we can look at it the same way we did before. Now I think it's going to take a massive amount of money...the kind that even if we could give it a shot, we could not afford to get it wrong. One wrong hire with a massive contract and we are done.

Reactions: 60sdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
Pre-NIL & transfer portal I would agree. I don't think we can look at it the same way we did before. Now I think it's going to take a massive amount of money...the kind that even if we could give it a shot, we could not afford to get it wrong. One wrong hire with a massive contract and we are done.
Just look 90 miles northeast. There's nothing they're doing that we can't do if we commit to it.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

Did you major in drama?***

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
Our university doesn’t have the leadership to be sustainably competitive in the SEC. Look at everything about MSU. Marketing, commercials, coaching hires, AD hires, Academic ratings, branding, financial decisions. It’s all lackluster compared to universities that are all in.

Last edited:

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
Just look 90 miles northeast. There's nothing they're doing that we can't do if we commit to it.
They have MUCH deeper pockets from a Cigar-boys perspective, which is where it's at nowadays. They also have a proven coach who is having a great year. They are about to bury us in every respect, taking every recruit we both want.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Our university doesn’t have the leadership to be sustainably competitive in the SEC. Look at everything about MSU. Marketing, commercials, coaching hires, AD hires, branding, financial decisions. It’s all lackluster compared to universities that are all in.
If you're implying we need a change at the top....I strongly agree.

HomeBoyDawg

Oct 22, 2013
Christmas Vacation GIF by filmeditor

patdog

May 28, 2007
They have MUCH deeper pockets from a Cigar-boys perspective, which is where it's at nowadays. They also have a proven coach who is having a great year. They are about to bury us in every respect, taking every recruit we both want.
And yet, they’ve been no better than us over the last 30 years. The real difference is they’re committed and are adapting to the new rules much better than we are. He’ll, we were better than them LAST year with all the new rules in place.

StumpNewGround

Dec 9, 2022
This is just flat out false.

With the right leadership in place appealing to the right alums, state can write checks with anyone. The “po ole” narrative needs to die. Permanently.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Ole Miss has a med school, law school, and engineering school. We have one of those. Not sure how many State grads go to med school and law school there. Maybe we can recruit some more car dealers to be State fans. They like being donors.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
Ole Miss has a med school, law school, and engineering school. We have one of those. Not sure how many State grads go to med school and law school there. Maybe we can recruit some more car dealers to be State fans. They like being donors.
This is incorrect as well. They don’t only allow UM grads into those schools. A lot of State grads have to swallow their pride and go to an ole miss professional school.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Nope. Aside from insults have you anything to offer on the points?
Clear sarcasterisks! A moment of levity on an otherwise crappy night/season. Unless we start seeing rules that do not apply across the board I see NIL as just another facet of college football that we deal with like every other team. It is possible that it is a death knell, however I find it more likely that AI might coach better than what we have at present.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Oh my. If I had a dollar for every time we were gonna get left behind by Ole Miss, we’d have the largest NIL in the country. There are times that it looked like one or the other of us should for sure have a lot more long term success against the other but it’s never panned out that way. Even If they crawfish into Atlanta this season they are 25 years after we did. That seems behind. If they fail to take advantage of this weak slate of SEC teams this season, I don’t think we will see it at this level again soon

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
We put as many grads into the UMC schools in Jackson as they do. I'm one of them. The law school is not the same because there are other long standing options in state for law. UMC needs to be taken out from under their umbrella. It would be good for UMC and the State of Mississippi. Getting it away from the rivalry would be a huge.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
Oh my. If I had a dollar for every time we were gonna get left behind by Ole Miss, we’d have the largest NIL in the country. There are times that it looked like one or the other of us should for sure have a lot more long term success against the other but it’s never panned out that way. Even If they crawfish into Atlanta this season they are 25 years after we did. That seems behind. If they fail to take advantage of this weak slate of SEC teams this season, I don’t think we will see it at this level again soon
Again...the rules are vastly different now. Just because OM didn't immediately leave us behind, btw while we still had Leach and still had a roster that had not had time to feel the effects of legit buying power, does not mean they aren't or that it isn't likely to happen more and more.

Even if we had the alum with the money to compete overall, we don't have the willingness to. We have never had the "do whatever it takes, no matter how dirty, immoral, etc.", that OM has always had.

Anybody looking at what is happening now with clear eyes can see the dramatic impact NIL & transfer rules is having and how much more it favors OM than us.

Last edited:
Reactions: LimaoCabeca

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Again...the rules are vastly different now. Just because OM didn't immediately leave us behind, btw while we still had Leach and still had a roster that had not had time to feel the effects of legit buying power, does not mean it isn't or isn't likely to happen more and more.

Even if we had the alum with the money to compete overall, we don't have the willingness to. We have never had the "do whatever it takes, no matter how dirty, immoral, etc.", that OM has always had.

Anybody looking at what is happening now with clear eyes can see the dramatic impact NIL & transfer rules is having and how much more it favors OM than us.
My desire to be dirty like Ole Miss has a line. That line is castration of a bull. I truly don’t want to have character like Ole Miss. Ever.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Ole Miss didn’t blow $70 Million on a baseball field and $50 Million on a the Hump like we did. They had enough common sense to moth ball the Tad Pad and still won a Natty in Baseball.
Cmon! Take a look at that Hump and tell me you didn’t think it was a $100MM project.***

Lowdog

Jan 1, 2019
I also disagree! My daughter several years ago graduated from State *** Laude in bio chem and was accepted to medical school at the university of Mississippi medical school. She told me that for many years that State graduates are being accepted on par with ole miss if not more. She still has disdain for having her medical degree diploma say the Univ. of MS.

60sdog

Oct 9, 2010
Scruggs is out of jail.

Reactions: Maroon13

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
We do have as many doctors as Ole Miss has, but that’s a small piece of the pie. They have far more BIG time donors than we do. Whether that be doctors, lawyers or other professions.

For every Richard Aderkson we have, they have 3 just like him.

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
Some of y’all must’ve forgotten how bleak 2008 was. With the right coaching hire, we’ll be fine!

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Some of you still have no clue how NIL is going to change college sports. Arguing how we compare to UM is pointless. We’re both going to be small fish in a few years. NIL is just getting started. Even UM is struggling to put together a top 25 class and we all know how obsessed they are with recruiting rankings. Neither of our schools have the money to keep up long term. Recruits will go where the money is. Like I said in another thread - look at Floridas current class. They suck balls and have one of the best classes in the nation. Results and coaches will be meaningless. Players are going to sign where they can get the most money.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login