Youth Baseball Pitch Counts

Which guidelines do you like best for protecting arms but still allowing kids to compete?

• USA Pitch Smart

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • CIL Cal Ripken and Babe Ruth

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • High School Baseball JV Limits

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • I prefer innings vs pitch counts

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I think I figured out why I hate travel baseball finally. Would apply to soccer and basketball as well... Probably 7v7 football too.

It's nothing like the real thing. These little turds are playing 5-7 games in 2-3 days with 12-14 players on a roster. You have to have no less than 10 pitchers on a roster to make that work.

It's nothing like real baseball. Kids should play in leagues and have multiple days off between games to rest, practice, etc. Nowhere else in baseball do you play so many games in such a short amount of time. Your stuck at a field all day not knowing what's coming next... And the biggest thing is it's always the same teams from right down the road you end up playing... Just make a 17ing league dubmasses.

Back to the topic, what's this inning limit vs pitch count crap? I have not been around it much, but over the past 2 weekends I realized they were doing that. This is my kid's first and possibly last season doing it. He's become the top pitcher on his team (10u) just because he throws a few strikes when all the others are less than 50%. He threw 74 pitches in 4 innings across 2 games yesterday. They play again today and I can't be there, but I told the coaches last night he's done pitching for the weekend. They started trying to argue he's got 6 innings left, up to 3 per any game.. I just started laughing.

These clowns think the little kids should throw more pitches than big kids because they don't throw as hard. They had one kid throw 84 pitches in 2 innings and another throw 54 in one inning and tried to pitch them again the same day. I told him I would pull any pitcher after 40 in an inning even if it meant we forfeit.

Surely these are just idiots and the better travel ball stuff down south is better than this right?

I technically just got put on the board of the local baseball association. I'm going to bring up pitch counts and suggest we adopt a formal pitch count policy vs innings per day or weekend.

Here are the three I'm thinking of suggesting we vote on for our organization to adopt.

#1 MLB/USA Baseball Pitch Smart Guidelines
1000014024.png

#2 The Central Idaho League Cal Ripken and Babe Ruth (Where I coach Babe Ruth, but not where my kids play) Pitch Limits
1000014025.png
1000014026.png

#3 The state High School baseball limits/rest for Sub Varsity (JV) players

1000014028.png

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I think I figured out why I hate travel baseball finally. Would apply to soccer and basketball as well... Probably 7v7 football too.

It's nothing like the real thing. These little turds are playing 5-7 games in 2-3 days with 12-14 players on a roster. You have to have no less than 10 pitchers on a roster to make that work.

It's nothing like real baseball. Kids should play in leagues and have multiple days off between games to rest, practice, etc. Nowhere else in baseball do you play so many games in such a short amount of time. Your stuck at a field all day not knowing what's coming next... And the biggest thing is it's always the same teams from right down the road you end up playing... Just make a 17ing league dubmasses.

Back to the topic, what's this inning limit vs pitch count crap? I have not been around it much, but over the past 2 weekends I realized they were doing that. This is my kid's first and possibly last season doing it. He's become the top pitcher on his team (10u) just because he throws a few strikes when all the others are less than 50%. He threw 74 pitches in 4 innings across 2 games yesterday. They play again today and I can't be there, but I told the coaches last night he's done pitching for the weekend. They started trying to argue he's got 6 innings left, up to 3 per any game.. I just started laughing.

These clowns think the little kids should throw more pitches than big kids because they don't throw as hard. They had one kid throw 84 pitches in 2 innings and another throw 54 in one inning and tried to pitch them again the same day. I told him I would pull any pitcher after 40 in an inning even if it meant we forfeit.

Surely these are just idiots and the better travel ball stuff down south is better than this right?

I technically just got put on the board of the local baseball association. I'm going to bring up pitch counts and suggest we adopt a formal pitch count policy vs innings per day or weekend.

Here are the three I'm thinking of suggesting we vote on for our organization to adopt.

View attachment 601136

#2 The Central Idaho League Cal Ripken and Babe Ruth (Where I coach Babe Ruth, but not where my kids play) Pitch Limits
View attachment 601139
View attachment 601140

View attachment 601146
I mean it’s probably worse there because of cold arms. Wasn’t it snowing there like yesterday?

8dog

Feb 23, 2008

View attachment 601136

View attachment 601139
View attachment 601140

View attachment 601146
I hate that kids first exposure to the real thing is thinking you win stealing bases. I used MLBs chart but I also don’t know if that helped anyone. Using innings makes no sense.

Lawdawg.sixpack

Jul 22, 2012
I hate that kids first exposure to the real thing is thinking you win stealing bases. I used MLBs chart but I also don’t know if that helped anyone. Using innings makes no sense.
These travel ball tourneys go from coach pitch to full-on baseball, and it’s absurd. So not only are kids trying to learn to throw strikes, they’re also trying to hold and pick off runners while not balking. Every league/tourney should have two years of Little League rules before going to regular baseball. Let kids learn to throw strikes first. No leading off, can’t leave the base until the ball crosses the plate = no windup vs stretch, pickoffs, balks, and stealing on EVERY pitch. That also gives you the opportunity to teach actual baseball on the infield, like turning double plays.

On pitch counts, counting innings is LAZY but it’s the easiest way for tourneys to keep count. Coaches, though, should always be counting pitches. And not just in-game pitches. I remember seeing a 10u pitcher (coach’s kid, of course) throw 5 innings against us. 108 pitches. Remember he’s also throwing about 10 warmups per inning. Plus the 3 innings he threw on Saturday. Easily 200 pitches in 2 days. Then after getting pulled, he went to shortstop…

I like about 35 to be able to pitch the next day, then max of 75 or 85 the next day. We rarely had a kid go 85, because you can usually see them get tired around 50-60.

To the OP - you better keep an eye on those coaches…

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
To the OP - you better keep an eye on those coaches…
Yeah they are idiots. You can't make this next one up... real time this just happened.

I can't be at the game today so I am watching on the game changer app when I can. My kid apparently had a no error inside the park homer over the center fielder's head in his first at bat and in his second at bat... With 3 coaches, 2 umpires, 50 parents watching, and two score keepers he somehow struck out on a 7 - 4 count... Should have been a 4-1 walk, the ump called him back, then on the 5th ball he called him back again and said it was 2-0. I missed the homer so I screen recorded the 7 ball 4 strike strikeout. Absolute clowns all of them.

I look forward to showing the video to them when they question me again.

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
There are some complete morons coaching these teams. And I do not mean knowledge of baseball. I mean the way they use these kids on the mound. It is insane.

I saw one last year that after digging through his box scores he would use the same pitcher on back to back days throwing 70+ pitches both days. It was 11U.
Just idiotic

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
Yeah they are idiots. You can't make this next one up... real time this just happened.

I can't be at the game today so I am watching on the game changer app when I can. My kid apparently had a no error inside the park homer over the center fielder's head in his first at bat and in his second at bat... With 3 coaches, 2 umpires, 50 parents watching, and two score keepers he somehow struck out on a 7 - 4 count... Should have been a 4-1 walk, the ump called him back, then on the 5th ball he called him back again and said it was 2-0. I missed the homer so I screen recorded the 7 ball 4 strike strikeout. Absolute clowns all of them.

I look forward to showing the video to them when they question me again.
Did he think your kid walked 4-1 then transformed into the next kid and struck out 3-3?

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Did he think your kid walked 4-1 then transformed into the next kid and struck out 3-3?
Must have. Just talked to my kid and he said on ball 6 the umpire told him to quit trying to walk and swing the bat. He said he didn't swing at ball 7 because it was behind him and struck out on the next 2 in the dirt because he thought he wasn't allowed to walk because they were up by more than 10.

My guess is the ump thought it was a new batter. The coaches and scorekeeper are just ásshats.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Is this a Goat post circa 2021?

Pops, I feel your frustration, but you ain’t changing the system. It’s what the parents demand - it’s their entertainment. You have to accept it or abandon baseball.

ETA: the time to change this stuff, if it ever was gonna happen, was the COVID shutdown. Tons of podcasts got put out there with concerned parents and coaches talking about how bad the system sucked, once they had some time for reflection. But once things opened up, the system just accelerated and got 5x worse, which reflected the true demand for it. It just is what it is.

I mean look at this thread, including me….we all bltch and know it’s wrong, but we did it and do it anyway - guaranteed.

Last edited:

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017

Pops, I feel your frustration, but you ain’t changing the system. It’s what the parents demand - it’s their entertainment. You have to accept it or abandon baseball.
I knew it was bad from the outside, but holy crap.You undersold it in my book. I guess we're going to find out if a kid can become a good high school baseball player by going to a few camps and working in the cages, in the infield, and off the mound from age 11-15 without actually being on a team.**

What sucks is about 2 hours north of our little town, is a group of 5-6 small towns with 10 Babe Ruth teams (including us) that have a league (Central Idaho League.) They do it right. They have 16-20 team Cal Ripken league for 10-12 years old. My Babe Ruth team played in that league for 12 games plus the tournament. We usually played double headers on Saturday to keep the travel down... (Drove 3+ hours one way for the tournament first round game Thursday night.)

I was the only BR coach that wasn't either a head coach or assistant coach of the high school team. It was amazing fundamental baseball by the time we reached the back half of the year. My kids practiced 2 times a week and hit the cages for at least an hour 2 nights a week... plus the games. We managed pitch counts and actually taught them baseball. They improved dramatically. Unfortunately the town has a habit of not giving a shìt about baseball and most of the kids missed 3-5 games. So it was brutal to only have half the team at some games.

Our home field is crap but Thursday night these kids (again 13-15 years old) got to play under the lights for the first time in their lives on a really nice ball field.

Here's a shot of me leaving that last game, of course the other teams kids are out there taking care of their field... Ours tried to help, but they wouldn't let us since we had a long drive. Nothing like travel ball. And that's awesome in of itself. Baseball is amazing if we let it be played the right way.

1000014037.png

• Love
Reactions: Maroon Eagle

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I knew it was bad from the outside, but holy crap.You undersold it in my book. I guess we're going to find out if a kid can become a good high school baseball player by going to a few camps and working in the cages, in the infield, and off the mound from age 11-15 without actually being on a team.**

What sucks is about 2 hours north of our little town, is a group of 5-6 small towns with 10 Babe Ruth teams (including us) that have a league (Central Idaho League.) They do it right. They have 16-20 team Cal Ripken league for 10-12 years old. My Babe Ruth team played in that league for 12 games plus the tournament. We usually played double headers on Saturday to keep the travel down... (Drove 3+ hours one way for the tournament first round game Thursday night.)

I was the only BR coach that wasn't either a head coach or assistant coach of the high school team. It was amazing fundamental baseball by the time we reached the back half of the year. My kids practiced 2 times a week and hit the cages for at least an hour 2 nights a week... plus the games. We managed pitch counts and actually taught them baseball. They improved dramatically. Unfortunately the town has a habit of not giving a shìt about baseball and most of the kids missed 3-5 games. So it was brutal to only have half the team at some games.

Our home field is crap but Thursday night these kids (again 13-15 years old) got to play under the lights for the first time in their lives on a really nice ball field.

Here's a shot of me leaving that last game, of course the other teams kids are out there taking care of their field... Ours tried to help, but they wouldn't let us since we had a long drive. Nothing like travel ball. And that's awesome in of itself. Baseball is amazing if we let it be played the right way.

View attachment 601267
There are still good leagues around, few and far between. But they ain’t in MS. Seems you may have found one. South Birmingham has one - at least until they hit 11/12. And the good kids will always get siphoned off. Even the poor ones, they’ll get subsidized.

It’s truly insanity, because so many parents think they can ‘train’ a kid to become a baseball player, and they fall for every trick in the travel ball book. But fighting it is like shooting a BB gun at the freight train, because deep down, 80% of the parents like it. They like having their weekends booked at the ballfields, having friend groups, and going out to eat. It’s a big status thing too.

And as far as what helps a kid make it - who knows. If you want to get a kid into a big high school funnel, travel is the only way. If you have a smaller school, you might can develop and play multiple sports. It really depends on the physical traits of the kid. I mean a 6’3”, 205 lb athlete is gonna get a chance anywhere he goes.

Just have to navigate the best you can.

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
I recommend a modified USA pitch smart, but if a kid gets close to their max they don’t pitch the next day. And their max is a personal max based on the individual kid and not just the number on the chart. Also have to look at fatigue and not just total pitches.

I don’t like the tournament format but as has been said it sort of is what it is around here and you have to navigate it. If it’s going to be weekend only I’d love to see it done as a progressive series of Saturday double headers, or even a super regional like best of 3 setup, but the tournament format is much easier money for them than having to coordinate all that.

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
Wesson still has rec ball with about 200 kids 3yo up to 12 yo. The 9-10 and 11-12 play USSSA rules. We played it and did 2-3 'all-star' tournaments after the season. I enjoyed coaching my son for all those years, and I wished we were still in Dixie Youth. USSSA is all about stealing bases. Pitchers/catchers are not equipped to play that especially in 9-10s.
I also umpire USSSA softball and baseball tournaments for a couple of years. Softball was fun. Baseball was not because every damn game was treated like Game 7 of MLB world series. I quit because of the way many coaches treated the players, especially the teams from Louisiana. It seemed as if every pitch call was questioned by either side, also. Plus the baseball games lasted waaaay too long for me.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Wesson still has rec ball with about 200 kids 3yo up to 12 yo. The 9-10 and 11-12 play USSSA rules. We played it and did 2-3 'all-star' tournaments after the season. I enjoyed coaching my son for all those years, and I wished we were still in Dixie Youth. USSSA is all about stealing bases. Pitchers/catchers are not equipped to play that especially in 9-10s.
I also umpire USSSA softball and baseball tournaments for a couple of years. Softball was fun. Baseball was not because every damn game was treated like Game 7 of MLB world series. I quit because of the way many coaches treated the players, especially the teams from Louisiana. It seemed as if every pitch call was questioned by either side, also. Plus the baseball games lasted waaaay too long for me.
When I was growing up, we could not lead off until 7th grade. You could steal from 3rd-6th (9U-12U essentially), but no leading off, and it had to hit the catcher’s mitt first.

And when did this U stuff takeover anyway? It’s May 1-April 30, instead of the typical school year. It encourages parents to hold their kids back. And you have like 3rd graders playing against 2nd graders. It’s all so 17ing stupid.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Hot Take: Pitch count doesn't matter unless we're talking full retard daddy ball pitch counts. If all they throw is a fastball and change, it's not a huge deal until pitch counts get that stupid level

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Hot Take: Pitch count doesn't matter unless we're talking full retard daddy ball pitch counts. If all they throw is a fastball and change, it's not a huge deal until pitch counts get that stupid level
It’s not really something worth arguing over, I’ve decided. The issue is, if you overdo something, you can get hurt. In baseball, it’s the sheer number of throws, and the repetitive training to throw harder and harder. Same reason soccer players blow out knees at young ages. Just way too much wear and tear on baby tendons/ligaments. They just go go go, have to keep up keep up keep up.

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
There are still good leagues around, few and far between. But they ain’t in MS. Seems you may have found one. South Birmingham has one - at least until they hit 11/12. And the good kids will always get siphoned off. Even the poor ones, they’ll get subsidized.
The south side of Birmingham has parks with loads of kids still playing rec at 9/10, and feeding up to the GBBA tournament for all-stars.
It thins out at 11/12 so you have each park with 2-3 rec teams across about half-a-dozen parks, and GBBA participation thins out (another competing tournament that started last year impacted that).
Rec for 13/14 had 10 teams across 7 parks this past spring, but oddly not all the same ones that do 11/12.

There’s always travel ball or some variation nipping at your heels, and I’ve just stopped listening to any promises made by parents on where their kid will play…it just leads to disappointment.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017

How about this... Yesterday a 10 year old pitched 84 pitches in 2 innings. These dipshìts brought him in today and he threw 62 pitches in 1/3rd of an inning. How's 146 pitches over 2-1/3rd for a 10 year old in less than 24 hours work for you.

No I am not exaggerating.

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
If a kid can’t get out of an inning in 35-40 max then they should come out. I saw where you said all the pitchers are <50% strike/ball ratio except for yours. If that’s the case then the team either needs to stop playing and stick to practicing and scrimmages until that changes or overhaul to roster.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
If a kid can’t get out of an inning in 35-40 max then they should come out. I saw where you said all the pitchers are <50% strike/ball ratio except for yours. If that’s the case then the team either needs to stop playing and stick to practicing and scrimmages until that changes or overhaul to roster.
I agree 100%.

You have to have 8-10 quality pitchers to play in these types of tournaments.

I was if not begged, at least pleaded to let my kid join the team by a few friends so they would have enough kids. He hadn't played in a few years because the rec league was so terrible and I knew this would be a shìt show... I finally gave in and regret it big time.

My kid is done with the whole organization I think. Below are the pitch counts from Friday/Saturday. If I had been there, no way pitcher A goes in Saturday for 62 pitches in 1/3rd of an inning... I would have found the tournament director and put a stop to it.

My kid is pitcher B and I guarantee you they're going to be mad at me for not letting him pitch Saturday after throwing 73 pitches on Friday... You forfeit before ruining a kid's arm. There were 3 other pitchers who were on vacations that didn't make it this weekend as an FYI.

1000014043.png

B, C, and D are the only kids that should be pitching as you can probably tell. The rest can't throw a strike to save their lives.

Reactions: Bulldog45

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The south side of Birmingham has parks with loads of kids still playing rec at 9/10, and feeding up to the GBBA tournament for all-stars.
It thins out at 11/12 so you have each park with 2-3 rec teams across about half-a-dozen parks, and GBBA participation thins out (another competing tournament that started last year impacted that).
Rec for 13/14 had 10 teams across 7 parks this past spring, but oddly not all the same ones that do 11/12.

There’s always travel ball or some variation nipping at your heels, and I’ve just stopped listening to any promises made by parents on where their kid will play…it just leads to disappointment.
Yep, GBBA, that's where we played years ago. I liked that system. They had A and B all-stars at the end, and for the kids who didn't make it, but wanted to keep playing, some dads put together another team. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Move to MS and the travel culture had simply taken over, rec was shlt. And not only that, it was the fall ball, that started in August. There were just enough kids who didn't play other sports, and just enough overzealous coaches who wanted to get started so their team could 'gel' in the spring, that made it just explode.

It's really just funny to me now. I can't tell you how many people told me, "we'll NEVER play travel ball", and now they continually make excuses like, "well, we don't play THAT much", or "we don't really travel that far", and "we keep the expenses down", etc. etc. blah blah blah. That absolute cheapest you can do that shlt is about $700, and that's bare bones.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

I laughed because I thought at first you were the one who posted it when I could have sworn it was PP who created the thread.

I’m so glad you posted here.

• Haha
Reactions: OG Goat Holder

Beretta.sixpack

Oct 29, 2009
This is a sensitive topic....bc of middle school baseball in the early spring, our parents wanted to load up and play a good bit May and June....we played every weekend Memorial day through his past weekend.....PG, and Cal Ripken events....I prefer PG rules on pitching, bc Cal Ripken rules are only a suggestion....but I prefer the Cal Ripken format on pool vs bracket play......the last two weeks almost all of the 12 kids on our 13U team complained about arms hurting....over use on the last several weeks...

our coach is a former college pitcher and his rule of thumb is 1 hour of rest for every 1 pitch thrown and he is strict to these rules....been his rules since 9U

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
This is a sensitive topic....bc of middle school baseball in the early spring, our parents wanted to load up and play a good bit May and June....we played every weekend Memorial day through his past weekend.....PG, and Cal Ripken events....I prefer PG rules on pitching, bc Cal Ripken rules are only a suggestion....but I prefer the Cal Ripken format on pool vs bracket play......the last two weeks almost all of the 12 kids on our 13U team complained about arms hurting....over use on the last several weeks...

our coach is a former college pitcher and his rule of thumb is 1 hour of rest for every 1 pitch thrown and he is strict to these rules....been his rules since 9U
EVERY tournament is a bad format. Check the MLB and college and high school. Even regional weekend in college doesn’t ask a coach, or a kid, to do what a tournament weekend does.

It’s a TERRIBLE set up, designed to entertain the parents and extract as much money as possible while doing so.

There is no debating this. If they wanted to it right, we’d have seasoned leagues and playoffs at the end of it that didn’t extend things the way tournaments do.

I challenge anyone to make a counter argument.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Covid made us do tournament baseball. Eventually would have done it anyway but our spring rec league was cancelled and we only played 2-3 games in the summer. Some of the dads were like let's do tournament baseball in the fall since we didn't play that much this year. We did it for 7U and unfortunately haven't looked back.

The worst is the amount of time a sport now takes in the offseason. Kids can't get summer jobs because they have to be up at the school all day to work out (cardio and weights). It's almost to the point it's a detriment to play other sports in high school from what I'm seeing.

Last edited:

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
EVERY tournament is a bad format. Check the MLB and college and high school. Even regional weekend in college doesn’t ask a coach, or a kid, to do what a tournament weekend does.

It’s a TERRIBLE set up, designed to entertain the parents and extract as much money as possible while doing so.

There is no debating this. If they wanted to it right, we’d have seasoned leagues and playoffs at the end of it that didn’t extend things the way tournaments do.

I challenge anyone to make a counter argument.
Well our 9-10 year olds have played 14 games this season. They have crammed all 14 into 5 game days... Nothing beats the 4 games they played last Saturday. That's how baseball was meant to be played.***

• Haha

FormerBully

Sep 2, 2022
There are some complete morons coaching these teams. And I do not mean knowledge of baseball. I mean the way they use these kids on the mound. It is insane.

I saw one last year that after digging through his box scores he would use the same pitcher on back to back days throwing 70+ pitches both days. It was 11U.
Just idiotic
I have a friend that just had his son kicked off a team. The kid is 10 and has a pretty good arm. The coach was trying to make him pitch multiple games during a weekend, but my friend has a rule that his son only pitches 1 game a week 50 pitches max. Coach told them if he can’t be a team player he can find another team. These are 10 year olds, not the Braves.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I have a friend that just had his son kicked off a team. The kid is 10 and has a pretty good arm. The coach was trying to make him pitch multiple games during a weekend, but my friend has a rule that his son only pitches 1 game a week 50 pitches max. Coach told them if he can’t be a team player he can find another team. These are 10 year olds, not the Braves.
Are they the Brandon Braves? Sounds like it….

Good on you for standing up to the BS….

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
It's very sad. But good on your friend. I'm pulling my kid from games and practices. I was just exposed in the last week or so... I asked my kid about the last inning this kid pitched yesterday. He said he was sweating profusely and turning red. 62 mother17ing pitches in one inning man... They have not used game changer but, for a few games. I'm worried this isn't the only time something like this happened.

1000014068.png

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
It's very sad. But good on your friend. I'm pulling my kid from games and practices. I was just exposed in the last week or so... I asked my kid about the last inning this kid pitched yesterday. He said he was sweating profusely and turning red. 62 mother17ing pitches in one inning man... They have not used game changer but, for a few games. I'm worried this isn't the only time something like this happened.

View attachment 601928
Why let the kid suffer like that? I'm assuming he walked in 10 runs with that 1 out.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Why let the kid suffer like that? I'm assuming he walked in 10 runs with that 1 out.
He gave up 13 runs, poor little guy.

The team should have forfeited when they ran out of pitching.

#1 The coaches are just a few dads that volunteered. They are not very knowledgeable about baseball IMO. This should not be a team entering tournaments.

#2 They didn't develop enough pitching in the 6 weeks leading up to the tournaments. See #1

#3 Everyone else was gassed too. I told my kid on the phone that morning he was not allowed to pitch and he had to let the coaches know when he got to the field. Nobody else had that foresight I guess. See #1

#4 The community baseball organization that oversees all of this has not adopted or at least not shared any information about pitch counts. This is what I am bringing to the table before anymore tournaments. If they don't agree to adopt it, my kids and I walk. Period. I'm livid at what is happening (a 12u kid also threw 179 pitches over 3 days last weekend.)

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
View attachment 601610

B, C, and D are the only kids that should be pitching as you can probably tell. The rest can't throw a strike to save their lives.
On the flip side, it’s amazing and highly frustrating the % of B/C/D parents who will get mad because their kid “only” got to pitch in one game of a tournament because they put up decent numbers like those with those numbers of pitches, and they will immediately start looking for another team.

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
All these "pitch counts" and we were all throwing all the time with no injuries back in the day. Hell, we'd be playing neighborhood games when we weren't playing "real games". It wasn't the number pitches being thrown that was a problem. It's all this "training" hard throwing and throwing multiple pitches too early in life. Don't let them throw weights around either and 17 up growth plates etc. Some kids handle throwing more better than others too. We had a kid who could pitch everyday if we had let him. We had some who couldn't throw but X number of pitches without giving out or getting tight. Pitchers throw games and bullpen within a week time now. Don't go 17 up their arms throwing weighted balls and using rubber bands all the time. If a kid gets tired, pull him. 99% of these kids won't play ball past HS and are wasting their time with BS training that does more damage than good.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
All these "pitch counts" and we were all throwing all the time with no injuries back in the day. Hell, we'd be playing neighborhood games when we weren't playing "real games". It wasn't the number pitches being thrown that was a problem. It's all this "training" hard throwing and throwing multiple pitches too early in life. Don't let them throw weights around either and 17 up growth plates etc. Some kids handle throwing more better than others too. We had a kid who could pitch everyday if we had let him. We had some who couldn't throw but X number of pitches without giving out or getting tight. Pitchers throw games and bullpen within a week time now. Don't go 17 up their arms throwing weighted balls and using rubber bands all the time. If a kid gets tired, pull him. 99% of these kids won't play ball past HS and are wasting their time with BS training that does more damage than good.
Right. Velo is the main problem, at least when it comes to TJ.

I don't know that I agree fully on number of throws, you can definitely overdo it, still wear and tear. And a lot of guys got the permanent dead arm after throwing too many pitches in any one outing. Happened all the time.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I get what you are saying, but we never played 7- games in a 3 day weekend. We played in leagues with 2 games a week. Those neighborhood games were never full throttle pitching either... We never had helmets or catcher's gear. We pitched BP style to let people hit and play defense. Everyone once in a while some ásshole would try to strike everyone out and he didn't get to pitch anymore.

When I was 13 (1992) I pitched a lot during the regular season then during all stars that summer "I threw my arm out." Shoulder hurt for 6 months I bet. I crossed the line that year, no idea how many pitches though.

I don't think we needed pitch counts for the most part because our coaches were trying to win a single game. When you get fatigued, you start throwing like shìt, so they would pull us. These stupid tournaments are a battle of attrition. If you're down, they'll leave kids out way too long to save the next pitcher for the next game. It's disgusting.