2022 - 2023 Premier League Thread

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Tom working toward a gig as an NFL ref ignoring PI

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Ridiculous non call,you can’t tackle a player around the waist in the zone going for a pass. Anywhere else on the pitch and that is awarded a free kick.

Really? Okay.

so this is how a ref, and VAR, would analyze the play. A defender has a right to their position; an offensive player can't push and pull them out of the way because they want that position. (To clarify a bit, the aforementioned happens all the time, but if it's not deemed excessive, then it's allowed.)

In the play in question, Kane was behind the defender, and after reading the FK decided he wanted to move where or past where the defender was. So Kane was the player that initiated contact, and was creating the initial foul.

The defender's job is to not allow the offensive player to get into position to hit the ball where they can do damage. In this play, the defender responds to Kane's efforts by putting his arms out. They one arm does eventually go around Kane's waist. However, the defender doesn't pull down Kane -- he goes down more from leaning into the defender and then losing his support.

In real time, I didn't think it was a foul or warranted a PK. In looking at the video multiple times, I'm satisfied that the ref got the call right.

Reactions: LionJim

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
so this is how a ref, and VAR, would analyze the play. A defender has a right to their position; an offensive player can't push and pull them out of the way because they want that position. (To clarify a bit, the aforementioned happens all the time, but if it's not deemed excessive, then it's allowed.)

In the play in question, Kane was behind the defender, and after reading the FK decided he wanted to move where or past where the defender was. So Kane was the player that initiated contact, and was creating the initial foul.

The defender's job is to not allow the offensive player to get into position to hit the ball where they can do damage. In this play, the defender responds to Kane's efforts by putting his arms out. They one arm does eventually go around Kane's waist. However, the defender doesn't pull down Kane -- he goes down more from leaning into the defender and then losing his support.

In real time, I didn't think it was a foul or warranted a PK. In looking at the video multiple times, I'm satisfied that the ref got the call right.
Still a free kick anywhere else on the pitch therefore a PK should have been awarded.

MJG-90

Oct 12, 2021
United still in good form. 3-0, 1 point out of 4th with a game in hand.
You have to be more specific going forward. United (Newcastle) is in third. United (Manchester) are in 5th. Seems there’s new competition for who gets to be known simply as “United”.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
You have to be more specific going forward. United (Newcastle) is in third. United (Manchester) are in 5th. Seems there’s new competition for who gets to be known simply as “United”.
Not really. Maybe if you started following the EPL this year you could be confused.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
TV schedule for this weekend:

Saturday
7:30 am EST -- Wolverhampton Wanderers vs. Man U (USA Network)
10:00 am EST -- Man City vs. Everton (Peacock)
10:00 am EST -- AFC Bournemuth vs. Crystal Palace (Peacock)
10:00 am EST -- Fulham vs. Southampton (Peacock)
10:00 am EST -- Newcastle U vs. Leeds U (USA Network)
12:30 pm EST -- Brighton & Hove Albion vs. Arsenal (NBC)

Sunday
9:00 am EST -- Tottenham Hotspur vs. Aston Villa (Peacock)
11:30 am EST - Nittingham Forest vs. Chelsea (Peacock)

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
TV schedule for this weekend:

Saturday
7:30 am EST -- Wolverhampton Wanderers vs. Man U (USA Network)
10:00 am EST -- Man City vs. Everton (Peacock)
10:00 am EST -- AFC Bournemuth vs. Crystal Palace (Peacock)
10:00 am EST -- Fulham vs. Southampton (Peacock)
10:00 am EST -- Newcastle U vs. Leeds U (USA Network)
12:30 pm EST -- Brighton & Hove Albion vs. Arsenal (NBC)

Sunday
9:00 am EST -- Tottenham Hotspur vs. Aston Villa (Peacock)
11:30 am EST - Nittingham Forest vs. Chelsea (Peacock)
Wow, a short turnaround for City.

MJG-90

Oct 12, 2021
Not really. Maybe if you started following the EPL this year you could be confused.
Haha. Been following for several years. United (Newcastle) are my team. So I’m fighting to take the singular name United back. At least Newcastle had a logical reason for the name. ManU just thought it sounded cool

Leeds, Sheffield, etc - 15 total from what I can gather. Sheffield Cricket club was the original United. They later added football and kept the name.

Newcastle decided on United when the East End and West End clubs decided to merge.

Note: I’m not trying to start a war here. My initial post was tic. But since I got a response, I decided to add some education for anyone interested.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Teams that struggle for decades to stay up don’t count. I do like watching Newcastle and Leeds. MJG trying to do his best Pitt or UMD fan impersonation I guess. 😀 At least Leeds and UNITED have a historic rivalry.

Top 4 race should be a good one. Arsenal and City are there to stay. Liverpool is healthy again and seem poised to make a charge. Newcastle seems like they are in good form. Spurs, Chelsea, and United will battle too.

Last edited:

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Wolves 0-0 Man U at the break. Nice strategic match, some great sequences of fine soccer.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Good 3 points on the road. Rashford sits to start as Hag doesn’t play around with discipline and gets the goal. Casemiro has just been insane for this club. Really like what they’ve done without a great striker.

Leeds earning a tough point at Saint James. Newcastle lost their composure late.

Reactions: LionJim

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
BHA 0-2 Arsenal nearing halftime.

A good day for Arsenal, so far. Newcastle and MC both dropped points. Live table has Arsenal 7 points clear of City, 9 points clear of Newcastle.

Reactions: BobPSU92

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login