2022 - 2023 Premier League Thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
TV schedule this weekend:

Saturday
7:30 am EDT -- Crystal Palace vs. West Ham U (USA Network)
10:00 am EDT -- Brentford vs. Nottingham Forest (USA Network)
10:00 am EDT -- Brighton & Hove Albion vs. Wolverhampton Wanderers (Peacock)

Sunday
9:00 am EDT -- Man U. vs. Aston Villa (Peacock)
9:00 am EDT -- AFC Bournemouth vs. Leeds U. (Peacock)
9:00 am EDT -- Newcastle U. vs. Southampton (Peacock)
9:00 am EDT -- Fulham vs. Man C. (USA Network)
11:30 am EDT -- Liverpool vs. Tottenham Hotspur (USA Network)

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Fulham v. Manchester City on USA. 1-1, 16th minute. Haaland gave City the lead early on a penalty kick. Fulham just tied it with some nice passing.

Many empty seats in the upper deck at Fulham.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Just when it seemed that Fulham were legitimately in the match, City take the lead. No De Bruyne today due to a leg injury. No matter. His replacement, Alvarez, with a cracker way away from the goal. 2-1, City, 36th minute.

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
And blink your eyes, Spurs down 2-0 in the first 5 friggin minutes. Sack everyone on this team and let a whole new entity come in. They all apparently DGAS!

Reactions: BobPSU92

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Now a penalty by dumb a** Romero Salah makes it 3-0. Guess I’ll watch something else before the Knicks game comes on.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
A rule I don’t like in Premier League (and probably applies in other leagues): Being able to choose who takes a penalty kick. The player who gets fouled should have to take it. At this level, any player should be capable of putting the ball in the back of the goal.

Now, what about if the player fouled is injured? Then the substitute takes the kick. That should prevent a player from taking a dive.

Haaland got a cheapie penalty kick to extend his season goal record today. He wasn’t the one fouled. Bullcrap.

Last edited:

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Spurs come back to tie Richarlison with first Spurs goal off of a set piece!

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Stupid Moura with a dumb play cost the split. Glad he going bye bye after this year.
He needs to take Dier and Porro with him.

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
How was Jota even in the game? VAR is a joke Skipp with a bloody face after this only a yellow should be a red.

Last edited:

Thus Spake Mainer

Oct 13, 2021
1682966072202.png
Richarlison's season in the Premier League so far:
😬
Goal, takes shirt off, disallowed
😳
Goal, takes shirt off, disallowed
🤯
Goal, takes shirt off, celebrates wildly, booked, then Liverpool score moments later to win the game
Some players are just made for Spurs
😂

Reactions: rudedude

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
How was Jota even in the game? VAR is a joke Skipp with a bloody face after this only a yellow should be a red.

It was the correct call. Still photos in soccer are generally useless, as they don't show the sequence of play. On video, Jota kicks the ball and then his cleats hit Skipp. In a situation like that, both players have the right to play the ball. If Skipp had headed it first (meaning Jota's kick attempt was late), and then Jota's cleats hit Skipp in the face, a red card would have been the correct call. But with Jota kicking the ball first, yellow was the correct card to issue.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
It was the correct call. Still photos in soccer are generally useless, as they don't show the sequence of play. On video, Jota kicks the ball and then his cleats hit Skipp. In a situation like that, both players have the right to play the ball. If Skipp had headed it first (meaning Jota's kick attempt was late), and then Jota's cleats hit Skipp in the face, a red card would have been the correct call. But with Jota kicking the ball first, yellow was the correct card to issue.

Well except when Casemiro got to the ball first, followed through as hit foot bounced off the ball and caught the shin after, and still got the red earlier this year. They are not consistent with the ruling and that is the problem.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Well except when Casemiro got to the ball first, followed through as hit foot bounced off the ball and caught the shin after, and still got the red earlier this year. They are not consistent with the ruling and that is the problem.

An accurate phrase that refs use a lot is "no two plays are identical."

I don't remember the incident involving Casemiro. If you post a video of it, I'd be happy to try to analyze it.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
An accurate phrase that refs use a lot is "no two plays are identical."

I don't remember the incident involving Casemiro. If you post a video of it, I'd be happy to try to analyze it.
Spikes up on a follow through for a ball and they don't always call it consistently. He clearly beats Alcarez to the ball, but is high and I could see it being a foul, but a straight red and Jota got away with it to the head. They aren't consistent....and I was fine with Casemiro's red really....just as I would have been for Jota's.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Spikes up on a follow through for a ball and they don't always call it consistently. He clearly beats Alcarez to the ball, but is high and I could see it being a foul, but a straight red and Jota got away with it to the head. They aren't consistent....and I was fine with Casemiro's red really....just as I would have been for Jota's.

Oh, that play. I wrote about that in this thread. That's a really tough call. I agreed with the yellow on-the-field call, as Casemiro's foot rolled over the ball and into Alcarez's shin. And yet, while I really sympathize with Casemiro, I think that the change to red due to VAR was correct.

"Spikes up" isn't the overriding factor in evaluating the play. It's what where the players doing when their spikes struck an opponent.

The Casemiro play is not really comparable to Jota's play, due to the location of where the opponent was hit by the cleats, and also the timing of the play. FIFA and US Soccer has really stressed in their ref training that cleats to the opponent's leg should be a red card. I think (don't know for a fact) that this was due to all the slide challenges, and other types of challenges being made, where the challenger's cleats nailed the opponent's leg. As a result, it really has seemed to have cut back on the number of reckless challenges.

Very little training has been offered to refs by the aforementioned governing bodies on cleats to the head, in large part (again, I think; don't know for sure) because it so rarely happens.

As I mentioned in my earlier post about the Jota play, Jota played the ball first, which counts for a great deal. In you want to compare plays, I'd say that the Jota play is closer to a situation where a player kicks the ball, and a challenger comes in but gets there after the ball is kicked, and the kicker's follow-through takes his cleats into the challenger's body. Yes, the kicker is responsible for controlling their cleats at all times. But did the kicker's action cause the cleats to go into the opponent's body, or did the opponent slide or run into the kicker's cleats? In both cases (Jota's play and my example), it's not a challenge, so while the cleats may strike the opponent, the striker played the ball first, so you're not going to give them a red card.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Oh, that play. I wrote about that in this thread. That's a really tough call. I agreed with the yellow on-the-field call, as Casemiro's foot rolled over the ball and into Alcarez's shin. And yet, while I really sympathize with Casemiro, I think that the change to red due to VAR was correct.

"Spikes up" isn't the overriding factor in evaluating the play. It's what where the players doing when their spikes struck an opponent.

The Casemiro play is not really comparable to Jota's play, due to the location of where the opponent was hit by the cleats, and also the timing of the play. FIFA and US Soccer has really stressed in their ref training that cleats to the opponent's leg should be a red card. I think (don't know for a fact) that this was due to all the slide challenges, and other types of challenges being made, where the challenger's cleats nailed the opponent's leg. As a result, it really has seemed to have cut back on the number of reckless challenges.

Very little training has been offered to refs by the aforementioned governing bodies on cleats to the head, in large part (again, I think; don't know for sure) because it so rarely happens.

As I mentioned in my earlier post about the Jota play, Jota played the ball first, which counts for a great deal. In you want to compare plays, I'd say that the Jota play is closer to a situation where a player kicks the ball, and a challenger comes in but gets there after the ball is kicked, and the kicker's follow-through takes his cleats into the challenger's body. Yes, the kicker is responsible for controlling their cleats at all times. But did the kicker's action cause the cleats to go into the opponent's body, or did the opponent slide or run into the kicker's cleats? In both cases (Jota's play and my example), it's not a challenge, so while the cleats may strike the opponent, the striker played the ball first, so you're not going to give them a red card.

A high boot is a foul rgardless and that is why it was called and Jota was given a yellow. Both players got to the ball first and that much is clear, but both followed through and hit their opponets with their spikes. The geography on the body is the only difference here. Both were bang bang, but both were absolutely red cards if the rules are applied evenly. Jota was very lucky to not get a red IMO.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Chelsea feels like they have simply quit on this year. All of those January signings and they haven't picked up points in over a month now I think.

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
A rule I don’t like in Premier League (and probably applies in other leagues): Being able to choose who takes a penalty kick.

Haaland got a cheapie penalty kick to extend his season goal record today. He wasn’t the one fouled. Bullcrap.

I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that Mo Saleh, as well as Cole & Shearer, had a penalty kick or few during their record breaking seasons.

Reactions: LaJollaCreek

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that Mo Saleh, as well as Cole & Shearer, had a penalty kick or few during their record breaking seasons.
Yep....teams have preferred PK takers....and that has always been the case. Hell Bruno's first year with MU when the EPL was giving out PK's like candy on Halloween he had to have taken around 10 or more in that one season. I do love that they aren't handing them out as often now.

Last edited:

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021

I just don’t like it unless they were fouled.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
I just don’t like it unless they were fouled.

Just like anyone can take any other direct kick, goal kick, or corner. You want you best players taking those kicks and you tend to have dedicated players for each of those different situations. I get you don't like it, but that isn't ever going to change.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
United drop points with a pk in the 96th minute which was the correct call. To he honest I'm not sure how Antony doesn't get sent off...he was lucky because he was acting like a lunatic.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
TV schedule this weekend:

Saturday
10:00 am EDT -- Tottenham Hotspur vs. Crystal Palace (Peacock)
10:00 am EDT -- Man C. vs. Leeds U. (USA Network)
10:00 am EDT -- Wolverhampton Wanderers vs. Aston Villa (Peacock)
10:00 am EDT -- AFC Bournemouth vs. Chelsea (Peacock)
12:30 pm EDT -- Liverpool vs. Brentford (USA Network)

Sunday
11:30 am EDT -- Newcastle U. vs. Arsenal (USA Network)
2:00 pm EDT -- West Ham U. vs. Man U. (Peacock)

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login