2024 Paris Olympics thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Seriously stupid event. They drop them off a cliff, and then they just crash into each other.

LOL. Kayakers do rock drops (take your boat up on the bank, to an outhanging rock, and drop off that) all that time. It's a little unpredictable what the boat will do when you hit the water, so you don't generally do it with multiple boats at the same time. That said, I have done it many times with two boats, and on one really big rock I was part of a group drop.

The crashing into the other boaters is part of the technique in kayak cross. In the men's final, which just took place, the guy in 2nd attempted to take out (and take the lead) over the 1st place boat in the last gate. It was the only chance he had to get gold. But he ended up screwing himself up, and had trouble with the gate, and ended up finishing 4th. But, one of the other competitors was disqualified for missing a gate, so he still ended up getting bronze.

Reactions: Tgar and BobPSU92

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Crazy. Her father was one of the all-time kayaking greats from Great Britain (considered by many the all-time greatest slalom kayaker). Her mother was a kayaking star for France. They (the parents) got married, and when they retired from competition, they moved with their two young daughters to New Zealand. The sisters are keeping the family tradition alive, as her sister is the top female kayaker, and won gold at this Olympics in kayak slalom and canoe slalom (C1). The sister didn't make it to the finals of kayak cross, but Noemie is the surprise winner of gold.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tgar

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Speaking of skeet (from my above post), did anyone see the finals of the women's skeet on Sunday? It came down to a shoot-out for the gold between a lady from Great Britain and a lady from Chile. If I understand correctly, there is a dye or powder that is inside the skeets, so the competitors and the judges can tell if a skeet is hit. The competitors can appeal if they feel a skeet is hit and they are not given credit. Apparently, at times in skeet competitions, they use video review for appeals. However, they are not using it at the Paris Olympics. So in the shootout (like in the 6th or 7th shot; perhaps higher) the Great Britain lady was not credited with hitting a skeet. She appealed, but the ruling was not changed. TV video appeared to show that she had hit the edge of the skeet, but no matter. Then the lady from Chile hit both her skeets that round of overtime, and won the gold. I believe it was the 1st gold medal ever earned by Chile, so that was great for them/that lady. But you had to feel for the lady from Great Britain if she lost the gold on a bad call by the judges.

Bones80

Oct 19, 2021
Good men’s VB match on now. Germans win first two. French second two. In fifth set now. French lead. On another note, how can the US not be running away with 3x3 basketball? Played on every court in the US

psu31trap

Oct 29, 2021
Speaking of skeet (from my above post), did anyone see the finals of the women's skeet on Sunday? It came down to a shoot-out for the gold between a lady from Great Britain and a lady from Chile. If I understand correctly, there is a dye or powder that is inside the skeets, so the competitors and the judges can tell if a skeet is hit. The competitors can appeal if they feel a skeet is hit and they are not given credit. Apparently, at times in skeet competitions, they use video review for appeals. However, they are not using it at the Paris Olympics. So in the shootout (like in the 6th or 7th shot; perhaps higher) the Great Britain lady was not credited with hitting a skeet. She appealed, but the ruling was not changed. TV video appeared to show that she had hit the edge of the skeet, but no matter. Then the lady from Chile hit both her skeets that round of overtime, and won the gold. I believe it was the 1st gold medal ever earned by Chile, so that was great for them/that lady. But you had to feel for the lady from Great Britain if she lost the gold on a bad call by the judges.
Hi Tom,
Those targets are called "Flash Targets". They have a non-toxic colored powder on top of the target which is secured by a round sticker. This powder is intended to help the referee determine if the clay target has been hit. However, the powder is not the only determining factor on whether a target has been "broken". The rule clearly states "There must be a visible piece broken off the target" the powder alone will not suffice. On occasion when a tournament is over some kids go out in the field and retrieve the unbroken targets. Some of these targets have 1, 2 and sometimes 3 perfect holes through them without a chip being broken off. In competition that would be a lost target.

Last edited:

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Hi Tom,
Those targets are called "Flash Targets". They have a non-toxic colored powder on top of the target which is secured by a round ticker. This powder is intended to help the referee determine if the clay target has been hit. However, the powder is not the only determining factor on whether a target has been "broken". The rule clearly states "There must be a visible piece broken off the target" the powder alone will not suffice. On occasion when the tournament is over some kids go out in the field and retrieve the unbroken targets. Some of these targets have 1, 2 and sometimes 3 perfect holes through them without a chip being broken off. In competition that would be a lost target.

appreciate the info. I know almost nothing about the sport, and only watch it briefly at the Olympics.

Reactions: psu31trap

Bones80

Oct 19, 2021
In the summer of 1983, I worked at the US Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs with the US Junior National Shooting teams. My job was to improve their cardiovascular fitness, drive them out to the range, bring them back at the end of the day and give them another workout. Why CV fitness? They shoot between heart beats and the slower their HR, the longer they have a stable platform. My roommate at the OTC was an army sniper who worked with the team. In the evening, all the coaches would go to a bar across the street. What stories were told there! Also had my most humbling experience. Had a day off and went to the OTC recreational swimming pool. Never be the only non-Olympian at the pool!

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Water polo is boring, which makes a match last for seemingly an eternity. I can’t watch it.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
LOL. Kayakers do rock drops (take your boat up on the bank, to an outhanging rock, and drop off that) all that time. It's a little unpredictable what the boat will do when you hit the water, so you don't generally do it with multiple boats at the same time. That said, I have done it many times with two boats, and on one really big rock I was part of a group drop.

The crashing into the other boaters is part of the technique in kayak cross. In the men's final, which just took place, the guy in 2nd attempted to take out (and take the lead) over the 1st place boat in the last gate. It was the only chance he had to get gold. But he ended up screwing himself up, and had trouble with the gate, and ended up finishing 4th. But, one of the other competitors was disqualified for missing a gate, so he still ended up getting bronze.

We live right next to Great Falls National Park and we go often; I can't believe people go over these (though it does explain the monthly ambulances that race by my house to get to the park):

Last edited:

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
We live right next to Great Falls National Park and we go often; I can't believe people go over these (though it does explain the monthly ambulances that race by my house to get to the park:

They're actually pretty easy to run, provided you're a competent kayaker or C1er. The local whitewater club used to have an agreement with the NPS back in the 80s (I have no clue if the agreement still exists) that they would only run them early in the morning, or at dusk, so as not to be visible to the general public when doing so. The ambulances are for the idiots that have no skills, and usually are tubers, or folks that have never kayaked before, and don't realize how dangerous the falls can be.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
PSU's Chic was in the 1st heat, on the inside lane (the worst). He didn't automatically qualify.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
the judges ruled the Kenyan was fouled, and advanced him to the next race, which seems appropriate.

Reactions: Shadow99

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Valarie Allman repeats as discus gold winner, grew up in Hershey.

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
Sweden's Armand Duplantis just broke his own world record (6.24m) with a 6.25 on his final attempt for the gold. USA's Sam Kendricks with the silver at 5.95m. Duplantis was born and raised in Louisiana but has been representing Sweden (via mother) since the youth or junior level.

Reactions: BobPSU92

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Sweden's Armand Duplantis just broke his own world record (6.24m) with a 6.25 on his final attempt for the gold. USA's Sam Kendricks with the silver at 5.95m. Duplantis was born and raised in Louisiana but has been representing Sweden (via mother) since the youth or junior level.

He was clearly the best in the competition. @BobPSU92 has still not recovered from looking at the blonde Duplantis ran over to in the stands and gave a long hug & kiss to. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Tgar and BobPSU92

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
they should have beaten Spain in the semi, but after leading in the 2nd half they ended up falling to them in OT. Nice to rebound from that disappointment and take the bronze.

Reactions: BobPSU92

Latest posts