2024 Paris Olympics thread

LionsAndBears

Oct 13, 2021
A loss would have been ugly.

We need to learn from these European Countries and see how they're catching up to us. They're developing shooters. While we roll out a traditional NBA team, they have 4 shooters and a Center. It's how the international game is played.

Reactions: Psu00 and LionJim

Psu00

Oct 12, 2021
We need to learn from these European Countries and see how they're catching up to us. They're developing shooters. While we roll out a traditional NBA team, they have 4 shooters and a Center. It's how the international game is played.

They tend to play some solid team basketball with good fundamentals usually.

We send the NBA limited defense, no blocking out for rebounds, and chuck it up on offense or pass it to player X while everyone else stands around watching type teams.

Eventually the talent gap won’t be so wide and upsets will be more common. It was very close to being another upset today.

Last edited:
Reactions: LionsAndBears

MrTailgate

Oct 19, 2021
I have to say that today was a wonderful TV day.

1- For you youngins, Sydney reminds me of Edwin Moses, only more dominant. GOAT is overused, not for her. She was running somewhat even with the field and then exploded. For a second, I thought sub-50.

2- Gutsy run by Lyles. When he hit the curve, you were waiting for the gas. When it didn’t happen, I immediately thought injury. I was happy that he said he was disappointed last time but proud of the bronze this time. He should be. Happy to see Kung Fu Kenny get the podium.

3- Redemption for the high hurdles. I thought time might be better but so happy to see Holloway to get gold.

4- I don’t get too excited over the hoops but I’m happy for Curry. They get blown out if he doesn’t go off. He seems to be actually moved by his first Olympic experience. I will admit, I threw up a bit with LeBron being called Captain America. He had a good game and he will be happy to tell you how good he was.

5- Great effort in Long Jump and Anna Hall set up to make a run at gold in Hep.

Grabbed some dinner and now let’s see the Phillies put a cherry on top of the day.

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Well, our friend’s son, Ivan Puskovitch, didn’t medal in the 10k open water race and finished 19th, but damn what an accomplishment. About 7 minutes behind the winners. Congratulations to Ivan. Swimming almost two hours straight in open water. Rasovszky of Hungary won and led almost the entire race!

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Well, our friend’s son, Ivan Puskovitch, didn’t medal in the 10k open water race and finished 19th, but damn what an accomplishment. About 7 minutes behind the winners. Congratulations to Ivan. Swimming almost two hours straight in open water. Rasovszky of Hungary won and led almost the entire race!
Ivan’s dad spoke with him and Ivan said it was the hardest race he ever completed, the current was tough, per Ivan.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
USA men's waterpolo loses to Serbia in the semifinal, 10-6. USA was terrible on the power play, going 5 for 16. They'll play for bronze on Sunday.

• Sad
Reactions: BobPSU92

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Men’s soccer gold medal match live now on USA. Spain 3, France 1, at halftime. France took an early lead, but it didn’t last long.

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021
Yeah, I did kinda roll my eyes but I can appreciate the talent and passion. They’re living their dream.
Hard to disagree, but does it belong in the Olympics?

The talent is undeniable, but is it a sport? Crossing the line to the arts if you ask me. What's next, Olympic piano team?

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
France awarded a PK near the end of regulation (ref did not award it in real time. VAR buzzed down, and after review ref did award it). France converted, to make it 3-3. There's 5 minutes of stoppage time, then there will be extra time (if the score remains tied).

Last edited:
Reactions: BobPSU92

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
The talent is undeniable, but is it a sport? Crossing the line to the arts if you ask me. What's next, Olympic piano team?

From 1912 - 1948, the Olympics gave medals for arts such as architecture, literature, music, painting, and sculpture, etc.

Reactions: PSU87

NittPicker

Oct 7, 2021
From 1912 - 1948, the Olympics gave medals for arts such as architecture, literature, music, painting, and sculpture, etc.
Tug of War was a medal event from 1900-1920. That seems weird for something we did at elementary school recess. Ping pong (sorry, table tennis)?? That's something we played in the basement when it was raining outside. And badminton is something you play in the back yard when you have a bunch of people over. Just buy some cheap rackets and a net that'll last until the first time somebody runs into it. It'll be ruined then you can throw it away.

Ping pong has been an event since 1988. Badminton since 1992. The unpopular opinion is they were added to draw in China as a regular participant. At the time the Chinese hadn't really developed other sports programs so ping pong and badminton gave them something to brag about to the folks back home.

• Wow
Reactions: LionJim

Latest posts