2024 Paris Olympics thread

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
I rarely watch basketball and tuned into the game mid third period, just in time to see a bunch of sloppy turnovers by Team USA. But dang, Curry was insane to ice the game. It seemed like it could have been five on one and he still would have found a way to sink a three.
I watched the game but I don't enjoy so much anymore. The raw talent and physicality is incredible but defense and structured team play seem to be a thing of the past. They give it to Embid for about 5 minutes and let him go to work. Then James gets it for 5 minutes. Then Durant for the next 5 minutes. These guys are amazing physical specimens but it's just clearing out for them and allowing them to impose their will.

Psu00

Oct 12, 2021
I rarely watch basketball and tuned into the game mid third period, just in time to see a bunch of sloppy turnovers by Team USA. But dang, Curry was insane to ice the game. It seemed like it could have been five on one and he still would have found a way to sink a three.

I’d say that last 3 had no business going in but it was Curry shooting. If annyone else had thrown up that Hail Mary they’d have taken heat for a lousy shot in crunch time. ;)

Shadow99

Oct 25, 2021
Tug of War was a medal event from 1900-1920. That seems weird for something we did at elementary school recess. Ping pong (sorry, table tennis)?? That's something we played in the basement when it was raining outside. And badminton is something you play in the back yard when you have a bunch of people over. Just buy some cheap rackets and a net that'll last until the first time somebody runs into it. It'll be ruined then you can throw it away.

Ping pong has been an event since 1988. Badminton since 1992. The unpopular opinion is they were added to draw in China as a regular participant. At the time the Chinese hadn't really developed other sports programs so ping pong and badminton gave them something to brag about to the folks back home.
...currently the fact that there are numerous variations of diving events doesn't hurt their "gold medal count" comparison with the USA and other countries either...
It's been quite enjoyable discussing the 2024 Summer Olympics here. However, I've got a family event to attend this weekend, which will pretty much preclude me from watching, and posting about, the Olympic events this weekend.

The women's soccer final, the men's and the women's basketball finals, the remaining track events, the men's waterpolo bronze match, and Zain Retherford in wrestling, are several of the events that I regret I'll have to miss. Hopefully, some of you will pick up for me, and post some of the results/the videos of action, etc.
Tom, if you haven't watched yet, you could post raw reactions when you do get a chance to watch and we could experience it all again vicariously..? 🤷‍♂️ ;)

Last edited:

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
I just watched a replay of the women’s 4 x 400m final. The U.S. was Secretariat.

A$$. BEATING. o_O

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Italy is kicking our a$$ in the women’s volleyball gold medal match. 😞

IrishHerb

Oct 13, 2021
WBB struggling against France in the golf medal game. 25-25 at the half.

Frenchies are playing tough aggressive defense, causing loads of turnovers.

blion72

Oct 30, 2021
I watched the game but I don't enjoy so much anymore. The raw talent and physicality is incredible but defense and structured team play seem to be a thing of the past. They give it to Embid for about 5 minutes and let him go to work. Then James gets it for 5 minutes. Then Durant for the next 5 minutes. These guys are amazing physical specimens but it's just clearing out for them and allowing them to impose their will.
this was true for both men's and women's games. lots of turnovers some due to just casual ball handling, poor passing and trouble handling the ball. When I watch NBA or WNBA they seem to be able to get away with this type of play, but these games seemed more like the style we see in the NCAA tournament particularly from lower seeded teams who often have better team play.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
The Paris Olympics are over. It was nice to feel a sense of pride in something that I had no involvement in whatsoever. And for 17 whole days in a row. Great showing by the U.S. Great performances by athletes from around the world.

Now it’s back to hate and sadness for me. I’ll be in my basement in the dark if anyone needs me. 😞

Reactions: Bones80

Bkmtnittany1

Oct 26, 2021
The Paris Olympics are over. It was nice to feel a sense of pride in something that I had no involvement in whatsoever. And for 17 whole days in a row. Great showing by the U.S. Great performances by athletes from around the world.

Now it’s back to hate and sadness for me. I’ll be in my basement in the dark if anyone needs me. 😞
Take lots of paper towels!

• Sad
Reactions: BobPSU92

Roar More

Oct 30, 2021
U.S. defeats France for the gold medal in women’s basketball. It wasn’t pretty, but it’s still a win for gold.
Diana Taurasi was a waste of roster space. I doubt she saw the floor for ten minutes for the entire Olympics.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Diana Taurasi was a waste of roster space. I doubt she saw the floor for ten minutes for the entire Olympics.

You're a little low in your estimate of her playing time in the 2024 Olympics.

Game: time Taurasi played

USA - Germany group play Game 1: 6:09
USA - Belgium group play Game 2: 16:38
USA - Japan group play Game 3: 14:49
USA - Nigeria quarterfinal: 14:33
USA - Australia semifinal: 6:10
USA - France final: DNP

Reactions: BobPSU92

Latest posts