2024 Paris Olympics thread

NittPicker

Oct 7, 2021
For the first time this morning I watched the NBC morning coverage. What's the deal with the British gal handling anchor duties?? No American women available?? She was doing a schtick with the American guy who was co-hosting. There was phony good-natured banter about UK and USA teams playing each other. That's not to say she was doing a bad job but what are the odds of seeing an American hosting the broadcast of another nation?? Maybe it's NBC's way of giving the US broadcast an international feel to fit the occasion.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
For the first time this morning I watched the NBC morning coverage. What's the deal with the British gal handling anchor duties?? No American women available?? She was doing a schtick with the American guy who was co-hosting. There was phony good-natured banter about UK and USA teams playing each other. That's not to say she was doing a bad job but what are the odds of seeing an American hosting the broadcast of another nation?? Maybe it's NBC's way of giving the US broadcast an international feel to fit the occasion.
It's not really that unusual as NBC/Peacock do it for English soccer already. So it could be as simple as someone already on their payroll that is a closer flight and cheaper to cover it? To be honest the English commentators are way more brutally honest at least in soccer so it's not such a bad thing to me.

Reactions: Tgar and LionJim

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Insane surfing photo…

Here's a video of how the pic could be taken:

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
a quick reminder that the top players (male or female) play this game at a level none of us ever did in our basement, garage, etc.

• Haha
Reactions: Shadow99

PO60

Oct 20, 2021
Olympic Metal Ceremonies -- Why are we seeing them?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Making the rounds - not sure what part of this routine is ‘banned’ but it’s incredible.

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
I’ve noticed that the USA women’s gymnastics team has been trending a bit older the last few Olympics, with most of them being 18yr old or older. Is this trending worldwide or just here? Did they change the scoring criteria? I know a few years ago the installed a minimum age requirement. I’ve always found it odd that with women’s gymnastics was the only physical sport that I can think of where you were past your prime before you were twenty. It never made sense to me. Even now, Biles is considered a grande dame at the ripe old age of 27. Isn’t mid to late twenties considered to be your prime for most physically intensive sports?

Last edited:

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Katie Ledecky, wow. During these Olympic Games Michael Phelps has said that KL is the undisputed GOAT, man or woman. KL crushed the 1500 today. And f me, this is the second time the women’s 1500 has been an Olympic event; by all rights you have to consider KL deserving of an additional two medals.

I’ve mentioned that KL has babysat my first cousin’s kids, all three of them. They are extraordinarily fine young people and I am fiercely proud of them. Katie made a difference.

Last edited:

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Men’s BMX on USA now. Everyone is wiping out. Brutal. If I want to see wipeouts, I can watch the local teen dickheads at the park.
I think I've seen your videos Kevin....do you go after the kids that skateboard too?

BW Lion

Oct 14, 2021
I'm having difficulty finding recent photos or preferably screen shots of today's Croatia vs USA Women's Volleyball match

The Croatian Head Coach, complete with his protruding proboscis and black heavy-framed glasses, uncannily resembled someone we all know and love.