2024 Phillies Thread

Rick76

Oct 13, 2021
What a forgettable game and series against an awful A’s team. Mercado clearly isn’t ready even if he was asked to pitch today more than is ideal. Dominguez did his part too.
I foresee an extended trip to Lehigh Valley for both these guys. They both are reputed to have excellent stuff, but they haven't learned to pitch yet.

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021
I foresee an extended trip to Lehigh Valley for both these guys. They both are reputed to have excellent stuff, but they haven't learned to pitch yet.
Yes. Nothing wrong with needing more time. The Phils can’t trot out guys who give up an average of 2 runs an inning and last long in the playoffs.

MrTailgate

Oct 19, 2021
1- Would the Phillies consider another Lorenzen-type trade? If they want to consider going six man for August, that could be a possibility. Biggest issue second half is to manage usage, especially Ranger. They need to ensure staff is refreshed and reset for playoffs. They could go Walker/Phillips but that totally depends on Phillips and whether Turnbull can get back into the mix sooner than later.
2- There was a lot of consideration earlier for Jansen, but Boston is in the hunt for a playoff spot. Every team will be mindful of pen help. Jansen has pitched well first half, he would have been a nice piece. I am not sure he is available at this point. They will add someone out there.
3- One other thing not discussed at all is batting order. The Phillies really liked L-R throughout the lineup. 1-4 is now locked. Bohm is set at 4 and I would be shocked if he moves in the lineup. I don’t see Stott at 5 given his struggles and I don’t think Topper is going to stack Bohm, JT, and Nick. I think it might be Bohm, JT, Stott, Nick, Marsh, Rojas.
4- A lot of chatter about a RH bat in the OF which means they don't want Marsh to face LHP but they need to consider defensive ramifications. The guy from Oakland put forth a good audition this weekend but he is more a DH than outfielder. Marsh is putting a decent year together, but there seems to be momentum to find an OF bat.
5- Nobody cares about their draft but I scratched my head on that one. Taking an old high school hitter should never be part of the plan.

A first half that could not have been scripted better. Let’s get the boys healthy and ready for the second half!

MrTailgate

Oct 19, 2021
@MrTailgate -- how would you rank the top 5 offenses, and pitching staffs?

That is a heck of a question. I remember each of those teams vividly. The 77 team played the game very differently than the game played today. All of those guys hit for a good average and they moved players along whether it be via hit and run, bunts, or sacrifices. Their bench had guys who hit over .300 as well. And as good as their offense was at the start, McBride was a literal hurricane when he joined the squad. I loved their lineup.

The 2009 team could absolutely rake and people have to remember the first half that Raul had where you thought he was a lock to hit 40. You had Howard, Chase, Werth, and Raul provide power and if Rollins had a year closer to what was his norm at that time, that team was as talented and fearsome offensively as you could field. I remember going to the series at Wrigley and the Phillies absolutely demolished the Cubs.

All those teams were great and certain parts of each stood out. You could not have a better year than Dykstra had out of the lead off spot in 93. He was on Rickey’s level and did everything.

It would be a toss up for me between 77 and 09 for offense.

Pitching, it would be hard to pick any team over the 2011 team.

Reactions: Tom McAndrew

NittPicker

Oct 7, 2021

Interesting. I thought for sure the Phils would see both Skenes and Keller. Maybe Shelton is holding them back for the series against division foe St. Louis. Or maybe he just wants to give them extra rest in the middle of a long season.

Last edited:

Nits74

Oct 19, 2021
Hello fans of my second favorite team. For those of you making the trip to Pittsburgh this weekend, I can't wish you luck (not that it's needed), but have a great time. PNC Park should be electric and filled with fans of both teams. Looking forward to this.

Reactions: Tom McAndrew

NittPicker

Oct 7, 2021
Hello fans of my second favorite team. For those of you making the trip to Pittsburgh this weekend, I can't wish you luck (not that it's needed), but have a great time. PNC Park should be electric and filled with fans of both teams. Looking forward to this.
I'll be there tomorrow night. I'm looking forward to being one of several thousand wearing red. I checked the Pirates website. As I write this, tonight's game (Friday) has a total of seven unsold tickets in the entire stadium. The price range is between $452 and $526. For tomorrow night's game there are currently no tickets available on the Pirates website. It should be fun.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
With Martin Perez, a lefty, getting the starts for the Pirates, the Phils have tweaked their lineup to have mostly righties at the plate.